Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

Sticky13

The Flix is awesome, has added some real quality to the VC experience, and no faults to report.

I've still been fiddling with the coil, didnt really have this kind of control with me old coil, this csa is really nice to work with. I've shifted my coil up ~1.5mm from previous, so probs halfway where the 2nd silcone pad was. This is still terpy and cool, but adding pretty dense clouds from the off. Where as with previous exp with the VC the first hit/click is genreally little cloud and terpy.

Very happy customer:D

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

It's been a few days since I last posted and I would like to share a few updates on things:

Flix: There are now a number of Flix with the corrected components out in the real world, and the reports I've received so far have said they're working as expected. So far, so good. :clap:

It's been a "fun" month since the launch, and a bit humbling on the whole, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the revised circuit will finally perform as expected. The circuit is in a better place now, and while it's still too soon to say if it's completely stable, I'm confident it will be be a lot more stable with the larger capacitors and smaller inductors.

Those of you that have a Flix, please continue to let me know what you think of it. :nod:

More Flix are coming to the store very soon! I have another 36 Flix PCBs ready to do, as you can see below. I think it's prudent to pause for a few more days and be confident the design is stable before I hit the Go button again. I know some people have been waiting patiently for me to post more for sale, so I want to let you know that the PCBs below are complete and ready to go - with plenty more behind them - and I just want to be sure they won't disappoint anyone. I'll post an announcement here when I do put these up for sale.

IMG-9943-private.jpg

Flux Deluxe: I'm working my way through the waiting list. I've heard back from the people I contacted with regards to the September 2019 waiting list, and have begun building those heaters. I'll be completing and shipping those as I go, and I expect to have all of those complete within 1-2 weeks. Thank you! I hope to move on to the October 2019 names right after I finish these.

-----------------------------------

Tactile Switch Technical Note/Update

Here's a new solution that will make some people happy!

As both Flix and Flux Deluxe owners know, my heaters use a pyrex button as a heat shield for the tactile switch (the switch you press the vapcap into at the base of the heating coil).

This button is both a blessing and a curse: Pyrex is capable of withstanding 600°C, so it offers a huge increase in protection to the tactile switch underneath it, which is itself a high temp capable component, good to 165°C on its own.

It's biggest weakness of the button is that it's only held in place with glue - a single drop! - and even though I use the strongest stuff I can find (that isn't a toxic mess), the button still comes loose sometimes. Once loose, there is no easy way to reattach it. This frustrates both the users and the builder! :goon:

:worms:

A loooooooong time ago in this thread, at least one of you suggested using silicone sheeting as an alternative insulator. I was dismissive of this at the time as I felt that pyrex was a better material (:myday:) , but the buttons are so frustrating when they fall off that I have been forced to revisit this subject. After some fresh exploration I've found a material that works almost as well as the pyrex, and yet is a lot easier to replace. This has led me to change my view on this subject, and I now think silicone can work very well for this function, as you'll see below.

These are the new tactile switch covers I will be using on both the Flix and the Flux, once I run through the current supply of pyrex. They are 8mm discs I've punched from a sheet of 1mm thick, high temp capable silicone sheeting. This silicone sheet is backed with a sticky adhesive, and while. I'm not sure if they'll last forever, they adhere well enough to use for now. They are also very easy to replace if they fall off - much, much easier than the pyrex buttons:

IMG-9946-private.jpg

IMG-9948-private.jpg

These are also great for existing Fluxer Heaters owners whose pyrex buttons have gotten lost along the way. They will also have the added benefit of raising the vapcap tip up my 1mm

If you need some and are in the US, please send me a stamped, self-addressed return envelope (PM me for the address if you don't have it) and I'll send you some for free. If you are NOT in the US and need some, please send me an email or PM and we'll work out the details. This looks like a good solution overall and I think it will be easier for user and developer alike. ;)

That's it for now. Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

:leaf:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@mr_cfromcali

Can you share the source to buy the “high temp capable silicone sheeting”? If I can buy a small amount, I could cut my own, and save you the trouble. Thanks.

RustyOldNail,
@mr_cfromcali anything to worry about if we own a functioning Flix? Is the issue isolated to certain units or could it pop up down the line? Mine is working flawlessly, but I'm just curious.

letter never sent,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@mr_cfromcali anything to worry about if we own a functioning Flix? Is the issue isolated to certain units or could it pop up down the line? Mine is working flawlessly, but I'm just curious.

Flux heaters with serial numbers 64 and lower have the most potential to be affected by this issue, due to the inductor/capacitor combination I used initially. (The serial number sticker is inside the lid, if you have not yet opened up your Flix.)

The units that were most unstable with these parts have already failed, and many of those that failed did so within their first three or four heating cycles. I can't say yet how many more Flix with the original parts combination will continue to fail down the road, but if your Flix is working as expected after a few weeks of use, it should continue to work for you as expected.

If it's working now and you are happy with it, please continue using it! If it stops working in the future, please contact me and I'll fix it.

Your Flix comes with a six month warranty, but I'm responsible for the inductor and capacitor configuration that's the root cause of this issue, and I stand behind my heaters like they're my kids. If you have the original parts configuration and your heater fails due to this issue, I'm going to fix it for you, even after the warranty has expired. If you would like to send it back so I can fix it proactively, I'm happy to do that instead. Please send me an email or PM and we'll work out the details.

My expectation is that the new inductors and capacitors, which are the same as the ones I use in the Flux Deluxe, will be as stable in the Flix as they are in the FD. Time will tell if this is true or just wishful thinking, but the Flux Deluxe parts have been completely stable so far.

Hopefully that helps clarify things?

BTW, I'm still interested in hearing user reports for the Flix, so if you are a Flix ownewr and want to let me know what you think of it, please send a PM or email. I'm not trying to fish for compliments, but I appreciate your feedback as it helps me makes things better. :tup:

Cheers

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I think the silicone can be stacked for a slower heat cycle.

You are absolutely right, @lookhigh , these can be used to raise the vapcap so it sits higher in the coil and clicks sooner/cooler.

Stacking this stuff upon itself, however, is hard in practice, as the top surface is too slick for adhesion. You could stack this on the pyrex button, though - that works great.

I have a thicker sheet of the same stuff coming in a few days and will report on that when it gets here. :brow:

RustyOldNail

On product details is says:
  • Excellent resistance to heat (dry air), at +260º C continuous and +260º C intermittent.Remains flexible at low temperatures of -40ºC

That’s strange, all I see is:

Product description
Product Name: Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Thin Silicone Grade Rubber Gasket Material 12 by 12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick
Size: 1/25x12 x12 inch (1.0mmx305mmx305mm)
Thermal Conductivity: 1wmk
hardness: 65-70 Shore A
Rohs: PASS
Specific Gravity: 1.2g/cm2
Function: temperature resistance, insulated
Application:For industrial use,high and low temperature use.
Material: Silicone Rubber sheet

Mono Loco

@RustyOldNail , Scroll down further on the Amazon page to "Features and Details" ... it's way below the Product Description section, below all the pics and Amazon "other info." ... beyond where you'd expect it to be, near the bottom of that long, long page!

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail , Scroll down further on the Amazon page to "Features and Details" ... it's way below the Product Description section, below all the pics and Amazon "other info." ... beyond where you'd expect it to be, near the bottom of that long, long page!

Thanks, I’ve scrolled the whole page, maybe cause I’m on an iPad. No worries, I trust you folks, 500f, should be fine if you don’t press endlessly....

I’ve glued my glass cap twice, first held for a day, second time has held since. I’ll try the 1mm thick pad on top of the button at first and see how it heats.

RustyOldNail,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
That’s strange, all I see is:

Product description
Product Name: Adhesive Black Heat Resistant Thin Silicone Grade Rubber Gasket Material 12 by 12 inch,1/25 Inch Thick
Size: 1/25x12 x12 inch (1.0mmx305mmx305mm)
Thermal Conductivity: 1wmk
hardness: 65-70 Shore A
Rohs: PASS
Specific Gravity: 1.2g/cm2
Function: temperature resistance, insulated
Application:For industrial use,high and low temperature use.
Material: Silicone Rubber sheet
It is actually shown right above the description, product features.
I am also on iPad

Jill NYC,

mero614

You are absolutely right, @lookhigh , these can be used to raise the vapcap so it sits higher in the coil and clicks sooner/cooler.

Stacking this stuff upon itself, however, is hard in practice, as the top surface is too slick for adhesion. You could stack this on the pyrex button, though - that works great.

I have a thicker sheet of the same stuff coming in a few days and will report on that when it gets here. :brow:
hi again jeff,
i been wanting to give you such a great review on my Fluxer deluxe heater #249 in forest great and with all the bells and whistles. and it has performed awesome. better than expected. i enjoy knowing that you support and stand by your products. you are truly a master ih creater, builder. to all the people members thinking of purchasing a custom fluxer deluxer. just get it from jeff (mr_cfomcali). you wont regret it. also, im thinking of getting another in the near future. thats all for now. thanks again jeff and everyone looking to getting any custom Fluxer Deluxer. have a great year.
Best,
juan m. mero614

MM1968

First post from a long time lurker. Was blessed to bag a Flux Deluxe in the recent sale to the very specification I had my name on the wait list for and it finally arrived today in Scotland. The Deluxe has been put straight to use and I am loving it. Just wanted to say a big Thank You to @mr_cfromcali, Blem04 has arrived and is setup perfect for me on the second click out of the box with a Titanium Tip. Now while I was waiting for this elctromagical machine to arrive I made a wood 'skin' for it. Dunno if something similar has been done before, but here is my rough and ready prototype made out of 5mm birch plywood it's just attatched to the existing lid with blu-tac at present but will attach with recessed magnets. The magnets I had kicking about were too big and strong making it difficult to remove, but worked well otherwise, so I have smaller magnets on order (I'm going with 4mm x 1mm) along with some 5mm solid exotic wood. I just love wood and thought this would be a cool way of adding some to the Deluxe without going all in with the Cherry Wood Case option. For those that have one, the skin covers the external switch (mine sticks up by about 3mm) good for transport and just a differnt look, also has a diametric magnet installed. If you like it give it a go yourself.

T4orUqizG9ieCtowbB0xgmyeraZiX4SCn4ttiUWnsEWD5auEC0OCz5Vl8VR1M6aa52--vdSf2tZTepJo9nwbdAlPqzN-97AT986MF2ai1v6iitL3jZK9L-BMdnf9sAXpVZmKccHEjcyZJfuDgIgfe6YTHUsqV7ml-0MCXUfzt85QtPTuKb6UdcHKe4HdBaTGVkKrqtzqlW0nkfKz8Zy_wbUjo7CaFHjkZTCr5N6tNbKLlDP77bZj6XelQIgvIV7QNVFDNz--3RIgQ467J1jxoh0BqGHtUT441oEOD7CmQmDM06bZbEibVOIxBbcRqdUF1NZxtRqjou4AwHLAK1cI0mE2PcCZ_0tyg2Kz-B1f-rB0VUn0NQlPWnM_goxKXo_1IPKc1f9I97y7SSFWhWZlqgOkonSytWT_LpgHEgpKpmbryk_AcUxy9u74UCXuOCt2EYd_gln3wmu9XAwQpEUAX6uuiqmMXTYTgbatwpqrkCGC2GLfWBYivlN_CQm0WZJLMfzb5ebJc-FhMK-bdSUib_v0sZMeeo03u6azdMmRZFoMGAeA_MRBZlZ30NDqVDo0KcZ6JnLibWXRfmUKIIcaLdWHstZx6hnxFeC3KwjOLBLIR8D0S4Hsfn7Lz3io6WWzVwU-T-HPB9ZrC9IS0kM-tmT210GLKvt9E4KbMmEqIYOBNCg1NgNiDtnqlypkJA=w300-h400-no
KwO6K6hoMN5zHMDI6S9EdEIVD18ExZPgnaqpCeaXz7IDMpk0YFc4UGxv6mnkg5TLULQi_vpZCnNKpFusViKCOhy_FBKYY6tCgnFjdk_ulYPASkJsv-J8Wy7t20aDC34RDiYwmkmFgNvFxCeiNE-vjS4L0Q97veEmSfUoW8NuSJdmmSZyY-uzeTajL-X31gnmo1UiTLtu5DzYLELHEZgpnlbwC13Z-_8EmkqZ7QZO-rtLjQqgoGRGerP6q0l82gnjqM8bhFt0vW1asxhEjgyUdCDaCGj_in-auVDVtd8MUjDe2Bi3JomvR0TQwTo0fsOj3lbG8QqHmtil9hxEOdK160mAz6WEj0Y5iwnWAyXxTg-7aSSv0O3byOiXYloS2LCTn7IkQihuYGO_C9lS9aLmA8pF2LCrg4wlgq514HYIpyeqJz2iPbt34G8wKpd9I_w10sra9e4a-2SAMXr_fwCYXiaV6S46Xf4r_PWjTr2B5MFfCOTjcHHvS_2b2RMX9mzgm6RPBT99F7b1QraJs4rQPvYmbZInPrLLtnyS5a2def5eDQxN0AQsiHhV7MnG1IDJxsHTzTfkjzpQQn6YQaPKKLGPyEvBz8JaatruQwGjHxA5jvVrYl6lKetWpyjVxxtGnCfT8jOH9Ku_623JQEhTUB-_jdDM22IW08oINKqu2GaLGUp9L5IeJIqhDm8J7Q=w300-h400-no
sLVdzw76sOQ2qkwYFKz2QHimZZGri3UEWkJc-Ill_KPoiqA_ToYN4RVO7F69mxr3MD_TlYiRI9rYcv55CFe7J6YKd9c5tNesSCRKk6q_ZVPSuQRcOm_M6J50aUR1N6XlVnWSyGj9Jj8fODpPAum_BErgnDqz0xXmHbBK7gFcCw1GIG8TM6VDCzi8dkpxuB-NS-n4t5WconbArcYcrACXcVLlXufjCtTXqFnNsHgdjTHK-zWiGRyv08QeEQb5eNPIfpmpVuZ62YBf4aDgO2JDrsv5cAnlvZhVQz3qWe5-GzuwLrvnRWhJ5ApS9U-9q9QeVHdvenJAa7UsHzBsAbTZWuPoSelhlqt6dGTJhsLOfV57B72by2TExamTTnHpMbVff_JW4XkFYGlDmzj7e63bFXtiEKvUAruLmOKaoBBoeXMyyEudMUyAI2VVQzPKVu7ytjnpmKp9n91ptQU6Fk1gTGaSfhojG1a999B0653otS8WvacD05SKBAEP-eiDJO-nInsDaBGGkq-78QCJbfZK1BdoOe_b_U0a9wfy_eEbxqK7uwxd1gObfpOYua2q8MiUvJzQu1KcONSMLh_-4UcKsJLH2hYTV6EmJmqIodmInElKkonenwWItLa7KlVvmb4yR7QL62YospK5D3bTWzLs0rGcFUxBW5w6Fw6TA3eilmu50RDSMgGIR7zd4ViG3g=w300-h400-no

Last edited:

Mono Loco

Welcome aboard, @MM168,
I had similar visions for a wooden "skin", for the Flix, too. I like yours.

Is that an official "DynaMag" magnet? If not, how strong is it and where di you get it? Tapadh leat !

Mono Loco,

MM1968

Welcome aboard, @MM168,
I had similar visions for a wooden "skin", for the Flix, too. I like yours.

Is that an official "DynaMag" magnet? If not, how strong is it and where di you get it? Tapadh leat !

Thanks for the kind words @Mono Loco. It's not a Dynamag. It's 8mm by 1mm diametric (so it attracts to the middle of the magnet like the Dynamag not the edge like the more common axial magnet). Not strong enough to get the cap off, but is strong enough to hold the vapcap and release without lifting the skin up when the skin is not attached to the Deluxe. I also made a skin without the hole for the induction heater, just as a cover, which can also be used as a stand for vapcap seperately. I originally had a stronger magnet but it did not work as a stand as you had to hold the stand to lift the vapcap off. eBay is your friend and the US site has way more diametric magnets than the UK site. You can get them in all sorts of sizes and strengths, 10 for less than the price of 1 Dynamag. I actually like them smaller than the vapcap diameter, always centred and covers the magnet.

Magnets might not work to attach a skin to the Flix as I think the flix only has a magnet at one corner where the deluxe has magnets on all 4 corners. Also the magnets to attach the skin to the lid should be the common axial magnets as diametric ones attach to axial magnets by their edge, all sorts of magnetic wierdness occurs. Hope that makes sense.

UK links:

This one is strong enough to take the cap off:

Last edited:

MM1968

Wow, @MM1968 , I'm blown away. That's brilliant! :clap: Inspired idea, and wonderfully executed.

Thank you for posting those pics! You've dressed it up very nicely. I hope I gives you a lot of good use!

Honoured by your comments @mr_cfromcali. The Deluxe is a work of art in itself and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm getting big clouds from the first hit on second click and a lovely dark coffee AVB by the 3rd. Only going for a 4th hit if I feel like riding on the edge of combustion which so far I've avoided (only just). Simply loving the quality of the Deluxe and the performance, well worth the investment. It was a hard decision to go for an Aluminium case over the Cherry Wood case, but I already had the skin idea in mind when I decided on the aluminium, which I thought would also give me the wood option I hanker after. Still can't believe my luck to grab a (barely noticeable) blemished Deluxe in the exact specification I was on the list for in the sale! It would have been a loooong wait. The 4 weeks delivery took to Scotland in the current world chaos felt liike an eternity, I would have gone demented wiating 6 months or more on the list.

To be fair I was inspired by the 1590b wood cases by Berkshire Box Mods for the wood skin. Doing a lid like theirs is beyond my skills I think, but it would be cool to have a proper lid (like on the Cherry Case you use) that could just be swapped out with the aluminium lid without adding much, if any hieght to the Deluxe. Love the look of their Oak and walnut as well. Looking at their cases I'm guessing their existing lids would overhang the aluminium cases a bit, but if so maybe the lids could be adapted by the folks at Berkshire to fit the aluminium cases?

Cherry
natcherryinsideB-150x150.jpg

Oak and Walnut
images

The skin on the other hand is a fairly easy DIY option and some lovely solid woods in 3mm to 6mm thickness are easy to source for more exotic looks. I think I'm going to order some Zebrano for a finished skin now that I've tested the prototype. You could get 4 or 5 skins from a piece of wood like this for under $20 including magnets. That said a scrap of birch ply gives a decent look for the price of the magnets or free if you just Blu-tack it on (which works really well!) as with my protype while I wait for the correct magents to arrive.

3mm, 4mm or 6mm Zebrano
VvIKqaNzwc1XOLjRQydOMlNCuCRtlk0s6TnNPNYN7WzeIacQ4Fl-kR4TSJqTEtvQXCvPONURfHN2McILnhg2jbQepBNLdvQqf_0kxqm42NevfiO_otmFya0uRUhz_uiS_NA_-C0uxuESSd6xCxTig9Yt7o3JomLJKDCS1gd2B8UuHG62O1hF4xe22QcicagMb7FeOKRE0zhjq81y1ukxV7hKCL0KZVclxd3hZgvnLoK8LKDUg7meTuWKQsdVHIPOKKTc5oU36D5xsuYg_T6k9qPEZnNuZmCoc3iPWDsRJgC6tnaeE7sm-iYGnpaLsoEB7PxMskqLblj-AubWe2-CXPknJE6z2M6m4ZG_AmdqZb3ZS7wXKVS3eUNAygEW7ZdFWOkYrXibfOyV20BYRS-BVqerFIwO6Xk-VmX2rezM_WyUA5SR_p1P_3nmxYL8S_CCLc1LvQ26EWragqdIvLP2-9CSslZNcDtvMD_1AU_4ZHWMY0t1UDzZqGia-SZffp5T_zSRaPnxN1mmF697LNcua5TVke0vAV4aVpaRtdZGZuL2j7kJf7f40bttHKC8Le3qQtI2bgz66zx-3_dmGDuug7m0o-qACCh9kY5N21yBkP8nT2ErX3JVTcaQPx0OXb3mcP5csqW_ryjqXayKDtmT0GKLUyKEkLMoezuKeyFYXU_oJuFsRrgL0y00rwgWUQ=w270-h169-no

Just wanted to give something back to the FC community after lurking around here for years and learning so much. Hoping people who like the look will get the DIY itch and make some for themselves. I'm over the moon that you approve Mr C :love:. Now time for some further 'testing' of the Deluxe, looking forward to the rest of my day.

Top Bottom