Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@LongDraw - 12v5A is insufficient for the Flix and will likely suffer in the long run. However, the requirements are typically 'minimum' So the Caldron will work fine with the proper Flix supply. Today, Caldron ships with an 8 amp supply.

TommyDee,
Reactions: LongDraw

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
@The chemist - I was on the fence as well about coil/insert thickness but figured with the variable voltage of the power supply, we might be able to 'dial' it up for a little more kick when we want it. At least thats what I took away from @mr_cfromcali's post on page 1:

"With the new power relay, the Flix will operate on any voltage from about 7.8VDC to 12.6VDC. You really, really want to try this thing at ~8V - it's a revelation!

...the low voltage operation of the Flix is such a game changer... I have discovered what I think is the perfect PSU for this device, a simple Chinese-made adjustable voltage power supply that will make it very easy for you use the Flix with variable voltage."

Hopefully @mr_cfromcali can elaborate on VV vs coil size once he's done running around for the day and can sit down at the computer.

So excited to get mine, except the tracking info on that power supply says it wont be here until the end of July.. Hopefully it gets here sooner!
That's exactly what was on my mind when I decided to wait. Also I want to see what everybody will think of their units before I spend more cash on something I might not need at all. I need to work on my patience and my VAS is not helping!

LongDraw

@TommyDee Odd, not sure then why they had linked those 5 amp ones. I was happy with it though because it did slow down the heating, i am guessing the original powe supply i got with my caldron was the 8 amp, and could heat a bit aggressively, which is why excited for the variable voltage will be like using my log vape as far as adjustability goes.

Thanks for the info, good to know not use the 5 amp on the flix, but 8 amp or under on caldron would be ok, just heating faster if i understand correctly.

LongDraw,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
:science: DIY to counter VAS! :evil:

@LongDraw - starving the Caldron with a 5 amp supply does what you say, reduce the power level of the heater. It isn't the right way to do it. It needs a DC-DC converter between there or a big honking resistor. Right now, the power supply is the big honking resistor. But that is just the physics of things. Doesn't mean that a particular supply doesn't mind being abused. I wouldn't know to what level they are being abused without putting a meter on the circuit. What happens in reality is that the brick tries to put out 12V but reaches equilibrium with the device at some lower voltage. But it keeps trying to up the voltage (while the VC is heating) and this is when things get hot inside the power supply. If they reach a critical temperature, a part inside may fail. The mass of the brick is what keeps you from noticing a significant temperature rise of a small component. These devices tend to fail over time from excessive and repeated thermal stress.

Ah... 10A 12V variable supply out of Israel with free shipping to USA... $30; Minleaf ML-PA03 3-12V 10A Display Regulated AC/DC Adapter Switching Power Supply Adapter Power Adapter | Alexnld.com

Last edited:

proz9c

Just ordered a Flix (Raw) with 16 mm coil / 2,5 mm thickness - I am looking to simulate heating low on the cap for a 1-2 hit extraction with a 1 flame torch. Did I pick the right sizing?

Last edited:
proz9c,

proz9c

TommyDee

Vaporitor
These are pretty new. Came out just in time. A lot of lower power offers out there. But for $10 more than a normal supply -to my door- Fuck!

So free shipping to EU too?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Last edited:

Mono Loco

It looks as if the "stylish case" does not have a digital display ... I suppose it doesn't matter much, if you learn that "1:15 on the dial works for me", or whatever ... and you can mark the dial as desired. Still, Ugh ...me like digital display!

I've had good luck with AliExpress ... takes a few weeks to get here, but it does get here (IME). Some of these ads scare me, because the item description is often different from the photos - in these cases, one says 3-12v 10A, but shows 9-24v, 5A on the rear label. Granted, they use stock photos and sometimes have a disclaimer that reads along the lines of, "Items may not match the photos. The photos are generic representations of the item type, not of the exact item". Still, it makes me cautious. I always do an email inquiry to get written confirmation of exactly what I'm supposed to be getting before I place the order. That way, if something "wrong" comes, I have evidence that it's not what I wanted and I feel I have a better chance of success with any refunds or replacements. These things are cheap! AliExpress HERE = 3-12v, 10A for $14

Mono Loco,

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
A couple more Flix observations after a bit more 'research'. :science:

My wife's not really into the details of equipment like I am. She just wants it to work, she doesn't care why or how. She's loving our Flix. 'Smooth and consistent, very precise' is her description.
I like the LED base lights. They're LED bright, especially in our dimly-lit den in the evening, but I think it's cool. (it compliments our Lava Lamps :ko:)
I'm thinking the Flix will be our dedicated home IH, we've already been discussing where to put it. Flux Deluxe and a spare set of batteries for portability and road trips.
Speaking of the FD, it's working better than ever since we got it back. I don't know if he updated something or just tweaked the adjustment but it just seems tighter all around. I'm glad we've got both.

cieje

cieje,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@cieje - It states the plug is 2.1mm not 2.5. Although it is probably universal. And you will get an adapter with the Flix anyway.

The AlexNLD site takes PayPal. I don't have Visa cash cards to throw at non-participating sellers.

TommyDee,

cieje

@cieje - It states the plug is 2.1mm not 2.5. Although it is probably universal. And you will get an adapter with the Flix anyway.

The AlexNLD site takes PayPal. I don't have Visa cash cards to throw at non-participating sellers.
I believe there's an included adapter to use 2.1mm

cieje,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Well, you have an 0 for 1 recommendation from Mr-C :cool: Maybe you have to pay the extra $5 for a functioning model :brow:

TommyDee,

cieje

yea, I'm most likely going to get the one originally recommended; it has a 2 year warranty.

cieje,

fatbiker

I'd like to order a Flix but I am unsure about which coil option to order. Can anyone provide some of the likes/dislikes about the coil sizes? Thanks!

Update - I placed my order and got the last "Raw" unit. I decided on the 16MM with 2MM insert because the guy who posted above me bout the same option. I have no idea between the differences so I went on a whim.

I need a damn IN!

Last edited:

cieje

I'd like to order a Flix but I am unsure about which coil option to order. Can anyone provide some of the likes/dislikes about the coil sizes? Thanks!

Update - I placed my order and got the last "Raw" unit. I decided on the 16MM with 2MM insert because the guy who posted above me bout the same option. I have no idea between the differences so I went on a whim.

I need a damn IN!
I have no idea either.well I know smaller/thinner is faster heatup

cieje,

Aalberti13

Check out Mr. C's YouTube channel. Answered a bunch of my questions by watching his videos. 🤙

Heat up times for SS Tips:

Heat up times for Ti Tips:

I need a damn IN!
I have no idea either.well I know smaller/thinner is faster heatup

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
That last link may get you free shipping... not sure. That should be the same or similar supply @mr_cfromcali is working on sourcing. $30 and I'm tempted :ko:
Minleaf ML-PA03 3-12V 10A Display Regulated AC/DC Adapter Switching Power Supply Adapter Power Adapter | Alexnld.com

I should clarify, Variable Supply! :D
I just ordered it, place your bets what's gonna arrive first? the flix or the power supply? The waiting game is part of the fun but curiously more waiting doesn't equal more fun. The good news is I have all the time to learn how to use that thing without setting it on fire.

The chemist,
Reactions: TommyDee
Top Bottom