Flower Mill

realmoosesoup

I got the updated one at a discount from the team. Customer service is great. Haven't tried it yet, but it is different. The steel goes all the way around where the top rubs, so hopefully that won't be an issue, and the new plastic piece is in there. Should try it out soon. The SS BCG is coming next week, so will get kind of a fresh side-by-side.

Madtater

So.

Just got my rings/washers in the mail.

Took about 45 seconds to put in.

I will say it is MUCH smoother now. I dont think there is much, if at all, metal on metal contact. Magnet also seems to be unchanged.

I have the grinder grease, but it seems it will be obsolete now….unless i put a tiny bit on the outside, if necessary at all.

attackpoints

Thanks, @Madtater

I never had the dust issue, as I was treating my FM as a backup grinder, but I stopped using it all together because I didn't want to risk it.

I'm waiting for the pack to arrive and hope to bring it out in the rotation worry free again. I'm glad it seems to have improved the movement!

moogosa

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Is there positive feedback on the washer? I'm doubtful given where mine was dusting (central pivot hole, the OD of the rotor). Doesn't seem the the new part could possibly help those interfaces.

feralcomprehension,

Madtater

Is there positive feedback on the washer? I'm doubtful given where mine was dusting (central pivot hole, the OD of the rotor). Doesn't seem the the new part could possibly help those interfaces.
The washer set makes it so that there is little to no metal on metal contact. The ONLY metal/metal contact even possible would be on the outside if the grinder.

The action is smoother as well.

Personally, i feel like the metal/metal dusting issue would be fixed…..then again, i never had a dusting issue.

Madtater,
Reactions: Adobewan

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
whatever makes the aluminum not rub or makes it safe
I have not heard of people having problems with the mini mills, but I don't have one. Looking on the FM website, only the premium mill says this:
Low friction washer prevents metal on metal contact in chamber
You could always email FM directly and ask them about it.

Grass Yes,

PossumMD

For those outside of NA, I just ordered a washer set and got it sent to me in Australia for $0. Which is massive for me. I was 100% expecting to have to at least pay for shipping.

Edit to add: didn't buy my FM from them but a secondary retailer. Which makes it even more absurd they're sending it to me for free. I'm kinda shocked if I'm honest. I have had some beers though...

shroomi

Well despite getting the new premium stainless model, which I had dusting issues, I got the gaskets installed easily enough. Sadly I just checked and am still having dusting issues...
I am still waiting for my washer set, but I was fearing this. I bet you're referring to the "lateral dusting", am I right? The one caused by the friction between the rotor piece and the inner walls of the middle part. When I clean this part, I collect a lot of dust, as the Mill gunks up a bit the upper part spins unevenly and scratches the inner walls.

TooHightooFly52

I am still waiting for my washer set, but I was fearing this. I bet you're referring to the "lateral dusting", am I right? The one caused by the friction between the rotor piece and the inner walls of the middle part. When I clean this part, I collect a lot of dust, as the Mill gunks up a bit the upper part spins unevenly and scratches the inner walls.
That's exactly what is going on. It's a shame because it's a cool unique grinder but I cannot excuse 2 separate products and a freebie fix that doesn't actually resolve an issue.

moogosa

I just full cleaned the grinder and installed the washers earlier today as well and ran some flower through and still have dust when swabbing the gap between the rotor and lid. Waste of time and resources as far as I'm concerned.

At this point nothing short of a large-scale redesign and free replacement would make this company worth my time again, especially with other grinders on the market that function just as well if not better. Oh, they won't dust your bud with a bunch of metal either.

Crazy, twice now they have "fixed" the original issue they say. And yet here we are lol.

shroomi

It's very disappointing, because this is the only grinder I reach for, over the OMD, over the BCG. I love how the weed just comes out so fluffy and homogeneous, but I don't know if I want to risk my lung health for a nice accessory. Wish there were an alternative, because I really want to like this grinder, maybe the mini version or the aluminum one? But again, that would mean giving more money to a company that's not fixing evident issues.
At this point I feel like the latest "updates" change just the cosmetics of the grinder, since the dust is still there. On the bright side, the new pieces come free of charge, but I think that no minor fix would eliminate the problem.

mustacheemperor

Count me as another very unhappy customer feeling betrayed by flower mill.

This problem is so significant and was so obvious across the community so soon after release - I don't understand how they could not have discovered this during product development if they even attempted to test this device responsibly. And since the gaskets are described here as still having this issue, I guess they still aren't testing properly. There are no shortage of companies that could connect this device to a machine to simulate a year or more of regular usage, and Flowermill has chosen to jeopardize our health instead of properly test and improve their design.

I absolutely would not trust this plastic gasket solution promoted by Flowermill and unverified by any third party. They've betrayed us all once already - why on earth should we trust them now? I would strongly discourage anyone in this thread from continuing to use or buy these products. Contact this team and request the refund you are entitled to. Why should any of us be satisfied customers? Since John was replying here months ago confirming the dust issue, why didn't he notify us customers about it until they had scrambled together a not-even-effective "fix?" It was a safety hazard and they kept quiet.

I bought this because it was advertised as a safer alternative to aluminum grinders, and made in the USA. Today I discover it is neither, and after 6 iso dipped Q-tips turning jet black I've given up on cleaning it altogether.

After the broken promises about the original device's safety, they promise us if we use this plastic gasket, now it will actually be safe. Per this thread and elsewhere online, it still isn't.

The only thing that could begin to rebuild my trust in this brand would be if they sent this in for a 3rd party wear safety audit. But they haven't, and clearly they'd fail one based on what's reported here.

Not to mention that on top of these issues, they have been very opaque about where it is manufactured and their website described it as “made in the usa” long after it had already been moved to China. When I bought this I recall the website said "Made in the USA.”

I've requested a refund based on their lifetime satisfaction guarantee but I've seen folks online say they didn't even get a reply to their email. This company should be brought in front of the CPSC. What an absolute abdication of their responsibility to their customers. If they aren't able to do business responsibly and not endanger their customer's health their patents should be sold to someone who can.

I'll report back if I successfully get a refund. Maybe they can at least meet their promises there. I sure wouldn't mind shipping it back - I don't even want to look at it and think about the sheer amount of steel dust I've inhaled the last six months. The sheer amount of steel dust Flowermill put in my lungs by lying to me.

Last edited:

mustacheemperor

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I just filed a complaint with the Arizona AG and would strongly suggest anyone else who's purchased this dangerous, insufficiently tested product to do the same.

It's this simple: If John and the team respected our health and safety sufficiently, their website would have clearly communicated this product is manufactured in China, and when they were notified of this issue they would have recalled the product. Instead they sat quiet until they had devised an ineffective mitigation, and then sent a single notification of the mitigation to existing customers through a marketing email channel. Anyone who unsubscribed from the numerous content marketing emails FlowerMill sends their customers every year will never see it. I bought this specifically because of how it was advertised as safer than aluminum grinders.

This is not a "free upgrade." It is an attempted correction at a critical, dangerous flaw in the design. This product needs to be RECALLED.

Last edited:

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
The thing is, not everyone has issues. I get no dusting with mine, and am more than pleased with my FM. And their CS has been super responsive to me. I’m sure they’ll refund anyone that’s unhappy, if you’re civil.

The plastic washer definitely makes it smoother and safer. But I always wondered why they didn’t use a washer or gasket in the first place so as to avoid metal to metal contact.

Just my experience.

mustacheemperor

I was also a really happy customer and recommended this product to many people, which I now regret. I'm happy for you at least haha, I'm going to miss the milling concept, if not the execution.

Not everybody has issues, but anybody can easily verify for themselves whether or not their flowermill has the issue - if they know about it. I didn't know about it until I was posting one of many comments I've made on reddit recommending this product and a user replied to me like "wtf are you talking about, mine shed so much steel dust I threw it out." I don't make a habit of studying my incoming marketing emails for notifications of product design flaws.

Making it easy to get a refund on your defective device only helps the people who know about the defect - not everyone else who bought this because it was advertised as safe, and aren't part of our cheerful community online.

Manufacturing problems happen all the time - how it's addressed is what matters. For a product like this, advertised as a healthy tool, this problem should have been addressed more responsibly than an email about a "free upgrade." If I bought a dishwasher that shed metal shavings onto my dishes I'd expect a recall.

I would also wonder why they didn't use a gasket to begin with but ofc, per this thread, the gasket doesn't seem to have solved it for everyone either.

After finding out about this, I looked further online and found out these issues have actually been reported with this design for years. In my opinion, the responsible thing to do would have been to have this mitigation tested and verified by a third party company. They should have done that with the premium stainless design to begin with.

Whatever, I emailed them for a refund, I'm completely done with this device. I feel betrayed by this company and I never want to think about it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom