Flower Mill

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks, you broke the double post rule by 14 min! :myday::goon:

Sorry, SS, couldn't resist. :lol:

Hm there was no option to edit when I posted... For the best, because for some reason I can only ever post three photos at a time!

@Shit Snacks do you notice herb falling into the hole in the top plate if it sticks, where the center post goes? If so, does it come out easy or do you see it becoming a little gunky over time?

No herb has entered into the center of the top, or the sides, one tiny piece got in the sides the first time I ground and I was able to quickly poke it out with a toothpick. I do a pretty good job of cleaning out grinders by poking after each grind... But yeah herbs don't really go in those spots the way it is designed.

So what exactly is the benefit of this grinder? It grinds pretty smooth from what people say and it can be tuned so that the grind is to the user's liking but is there really a difference between shredding and milling if it's going to be smoked or vaped anyway?

I mean, yeah so far it is much smoother to turn than a regular grinder... There are the different grind plates as well, however what really affects grind consistency is the herbs themselves. I have so many different strains right now of so many different moisture levels and nug variety that all grind or mill differently really... Anyway different types of grinds, do make a difference depending on the different types of vapes being used... If you are smoking I don't know that anything matters because I am a snob and think you are wasting it if you are smoking it anyway lol

Shit Snacks

Fourth use went back to smaller nugs, using such giant nugs the last time resulted in a very coarse grind, much chunkier than I would like, but nice to know that is possible even with dryer herbs! So this is some older dryer, yet tasty quality Candy Apple now:

PXL-20201226-202511451.jpg

PXL-20201226-202848747.jpg

I do prefer to grind smaller nugs regardless, like I would with my brilliant cut, seems like the flower mill can separate stems well, but I still prefer to take them out mostly before hand... Oh and @BestBuds I did notice a couple little herb specks got into that center hole in the lid this time, they fell right out with a quick toothpick poke, but also I realized the entire thing can be fully disassembled for a deep clean too!!

Shit Snacks

And it looks like I am forced to do another back-to-back post for my fifth use, with some dense, fresh Mandarin Cookies that tastes smells and feels subtly delightful:

PXL-20201227-020451497.jpg

PXL-20201227-020752570.jpg

Thinking this might be the last one I share photos of, until I switch to the fine plate??

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks
Do you have some Boveda-62%-cured buds to test with that grinder/mill?
So relatively moist buds i mean

Yes I started with my most moist buds, but I don't use any of that boveda crap myself so I have no idea on specifics lol sorry dude... I still have another fresh moist dense strain to try though and will buy more too of course!

Green Kiwi

Yeahoo, After reading and drooling ,it was time to give myself a New Years present.:brow:.
Especially, I would like to thank @Shit Snacks :bowdown:,and@drug for their excellent info about how it performs.
I especially liked(that's the dirty pic that won my over..:razz:) the picture with the stalks remaining.
I don't like destroying my nugs to get the stalks out, all those terps on my finger could have been in the bowl, so the fact that this one doesn't grind the stalks in the mix makes my very happy indeed.
once it has arrived I will post here how I think it performs real life.

Shit Snacks

Thank you for the kind words! Happy to help, since I was an early adopter here, I wanted to do my part as best I could for FCociety...

So here is another round, my last strain of freshest buds, a lovely indica frosted flakes. This time I took photos with and without the flash, since I'm not sure which is better:

PXL-20201228-062401326.jpg

PXL-20201228-062256660.jpg

PXL-20201228-062720472.jpg

PXL-20201228-062702774.jpg

So with the standard plate I mostly get a varying grind, which is actually nice because I can use nice coarse along with consistent medium, both at the same time of the same strain in the same grinder together... I think I will switch to the fine plate soon though, and I guess I should try to grind buds all from the same strains again, while documenting them the same way... I mean if I want to properly test and continue to do my FCivic duty?? :ko:

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Stupid and obvious question, I think...

There's zero benefit to the 4 vs 3 piece mill, other than the 4 piece has your traditional keif catch in it?

After going from a 4 piece to 3, I have zero interest in going back to a 4 piece - just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
There's zero benefit to the 4 vs 3 piece mill, other than the 4 piece has your traditional keif catch in it?

Correct. If you want to collect kief, get the 4 piece, if not, the 3 piece is your huckleberry.

I prefer the 3 piece too, but when I bought mine it wasn’t being sold yet, or that’s what I would have bought.

Shit Snacks

Yep, that is another way to say what I said! You should be able to tell by my photos, though it does depend on the strains and buds each time I ground, while it's only been a few uses so far, but yeah it certainly hasn't been uniformly coarse (the snickerdoodle I ground up first was the most consistent I think, and to be fair the medium grind underneath the coarse chunks is pretty consistent at least?) I expect the fine plate to be better, and based on what @Drug said about his almost one of a kind supercourse plate, that is better for a more consistent coarse grind, though it is not available...

Drug

Yeah still happy with my extra coarse plate. I've noticed its results are more even when I pre-break my flower in several smaller parts, allowing me to put an even pressure on the top part (similar to the pics @Shit Snacks posted). Also I keep the grinder horizontal, I've found that otherwise it affects consistency. Unlike @Shit Snacks I've only used one strain with it (kandy kush) and I have noticed that the longer I've stored it and the drier it's becoming, the less consistent my resulting grind gets.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
The 3 piece is the 2 piece of "Mill type Grinders"

I'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean by that, but I dont think that is necessarily true.

A conventional 2 piece, will grind and grind and grind for as long as you keep turning because there's no "filter" piece for the processed (be it ground or milled) flower to fall through, it just stays in the grinding chamber until you decide its ground to your desire.

The 3 piece flower mill still has that tray to separate the processed flower after its broken down to the appropriate size. There's just no teeth on this plate, like you would expect to see on your conventional grinder.

Vitolo

Vaporist
its ground to your desire.
You can turn it so it is oriented as a tire to the ground, and you can mill it as fine as you'd like, before
the herb goes through the holes.
I only am willing to use 2 piece grinder... reason being I do not like to take the kief from the ground bud.
I like the look of this tool.
I called it the 2 piece of "Mill Type" grinders, because it lacks the screen to separate keif.
To not confuse anyone with my allegorical allusion, I might have clarified....
"This 3 piece mill serves the same function as a traditional grinder's two piece."
Sorry to have posted a comment without the full explanation.

Last edited:
Vitolo,
Reactions: BrianTL

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks how would you compare to BCG? I'm due for an upgrade and this looks nice especially the fine for my FP.

I'm not really sure how to compare, BCG is like a regular grinder, the best one thanks to its design imo. The FM is just a completely different style, so I don't really know how to compare... And haven't tried fine plate yet.

You can turn it so it is oriented as a tire to the ground, and you can mill it as fine as you'd like, before
the herb goes through the holes.
I only am willing to use 2 piece grinder... reason being I do not like to take the kief from the ground bud.
I like the look of this tool.
I called it the 2 piece of "Mill Type" grinders, because it lacks the screen to separate keif.
To not confuse anyone with my allegorical allusion, I might have clarified....
"This 3 piece mill serves the same function as a traditional grinder's two piece."
So sorry to have posted a comment without the full explanation.
I assumed (wrongly) that the majority of the Vaporizing population of FC, being
seasoned Vaporists would know exactly what I meant!

Vito my man! I think you may be confused? Or the way you are saying this is confusing! lol There are three piece grinders, those are the ones that do not have the kief screen... Typically it is a four-piece grinder if it has a kief screen (unless it is not removable? in which case fuck those haha) The main difference is that a two-piece grinder does not have a chamber to store the ground herbs... An actual two-piece mill would look like the MFLB finishing grinder I guess?

I also am not sure how well this will work turned on its side, you still need to press down to mill the herbs, tough to know how much pressure to use so you don't push any through without properly grating them? Here if you know you want a fine grind then you should get the fine grind plates... that is the way to process the herb further, presumably, I will test out my fine plate soon enough!

Vitolo

Vaporist
Vito my man! I think you may be confused?
With all respect, I think not.
Or the way you are saying this is confusing!
I think that some may be misreading what I am actually saying, or looking for a deeper meaning than I intended.
I am trying to say that this is:
  1. The simpler of the two choices.
  2. The choice I prefer as it does no separating.
The 3 piece is the 2 piece of "Mill type Grinders"
I will interpret this phrase for those confused!
The 3 piece is the simpler more direct choice........
...just as the 2 piece is the simpler choice among traditional grinders.
Hopefully this will clarify my meaning!

Last edited:

Adobewan

I don't really need another grinder, very happy with my family of SCSs, but if I did, this would likely be it.

FC can be both a curse and a blessing. As usual, we're provided a trusted look under the hood of a product of interest, so if I was on the fence, I'd be off(blessing), but now, right after Christmas spending, in the worst economic climate, I'm off the fence(curse).
In the meantime, I'll enjoy you all enjoying yours.

Congratulations on this @FlowerMillJohn

Top Bottom