Firewood Vaporizer

noobvaperct

If I’m in group D/E (I received 2 emails), does that mean I will have payment information sent once my time gets closer? I noticed in his first blast email he mentioned checks which is cool by me, just didn’t see anything else in my group assigned email telling me what to do so he can have my money!

noobvaperct,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
If I’m in group D/E (I received 2 emails), does that mean I will have payment information sent once my time gets closer? I noticed in his first blast email he mentioned checks which is cool by me, just didn’t see anything else in my group assigned email telling me what to do so he can have my money!
As I understand it, when your time comes you'll get an invoice that you "fill out" and return with your check.

checkyourlibido

Yeah it has been mentioned here that someone savvy could probably replace it themselves, to be determined if that will require soldering or whatever, just got to wait for the first people to receive theirs and poke around probably...
I 100% remember reading that now that you say it. I must have been high, lol. I take pride in having read all of this thread, but I wish I could remember what I read!!!

I also didn't initially notice the wood differences. The FW7 looked way sleeker and polished. This looks a bit beta. But hey, if it slaps, I won't care at all, it's still a damn good looking vape.
After ruminating for a while I'm not sure if I'm that excited for the 8 when compared to my trusty 7.

I'm not the biggest fan of the pod system, unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem that easy to remove the capsule. Sure you could flip it upside down so the gravity takes hold but then you spill your avb/flower everywhere?

I hate the one piece stem. Part of the reason that the 7 was such a hit IMO was because of how much tinkering you could do with the MP since it fit most Dyna stems.

I don't know if the capsule system is worth giving up my Revolve or stinger as a cooling option.

Just kinda feels like a FW7 with more proprietary features.

Yeah, the stem and the battery are making me think twice here. I'm super excited. But I ask myself, if he was offering a FW7 or FW8, which would I want more. I like the pods on the FW8. But other than that, I'm not sure about some of the other changes.

I feel I'll be super happy with the FW8, until I need to send it back in for batteries. Even though I don't mind soldering, I have a decent solder kit. But the stem system of the FW7 was one of the things I loved.

I feel like we're taking 2 steps back here. We'll find out with the first testers whether we're also taking some steps forward. I'm cautiously optimistic. Mainly because I know Marc isn't one to disappoint, he's clearly one of the G.O.A.T.'s here.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Will wait to hear back about performance but my gut says stand pat on the 7. Much prefer the clean lines, universal (rated) 18650 compatibility, and swappable stems (incl the WPA that I’m slowly talking myself into).

The capsules are nice but I primarily use my FW7 as a travel vape, not on-the-go. When I have taken it otg, I just load a bit extra, trading flavor for a few more draws.

But I ultimately agree with @checkyourlibido: if it slaps harder, all bets are off.

moondog

I understand the reservations/personal preferences being voiced by some.

I love my FW7. Best portable I've ever owned.

But I got spooked by the fact that Marc sees the "dangers" of the unpacked 18650s as being serious enough to warrant the addition of a battery pack. I find myself getting more and more cautious as I get more and more old:myday: and more and more prone to stupid mistakes (like ordering a third battery pack because my reading comprehension has apparently gone in the toilet).

At first blush, the battery packs do seem to present some complications, but I won't have to worry about blowing my face off by mishandling an unpacked battery.😱 And while my soldering days are far behind me (not that I was ever that good at it), I have a good friend who could help me out in that department if I ever decided to go that route. But since that will most certainly void the warranty I doubt I'll ever try it.

moondog,

checkyourlibido

I understand the reservations/personal preferences being voiced by some.

I love my FW7. Best portable I've ever owned.

But I got spooked by the fact that Marc sees the "dangers" of the unpacked 18650s as being serious enough to warrant the addition of a battery pack. I find myself getting more and more cautious as I get more and more old:myday: and more and more prone to stupid mistakes (like ordering a third battery pack because my reading comprehension has apparently gone in the toilet).

At first blush, the battery packs do seem to present some complications, but I won't have to worry about blowing my face off by mishandling an unpacked battery.😱 And while my soldering days are far behind me (not that I was ever that good at it), I have a good friend who could help me out in that department if I ever decided to go that route. But since that will most certainly void the warranty I doubt I'll ever try it.
Haha, I feel you. But that battery thing took me several times reading over to get it.

I'm happy he's thinking about safety, I feel bad for coming down so hard when he's looking out for us.

As far as the warranty, I believe it's 1 year and I expect the battery to be good for longer than that...especially since you'll have 3:razz:

checkyourlibido,

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Marc sees the "dangers" of the unpacked 18650s as being serious enough to warrant the addition of a battery pack.
You can certainly never be too respectful of the power they squeeze into an 18650 but it’s also true that Marc’s liability risks as the sole maker and seller of the device are very different from your physical risk as a user.

Marc’s literally shipping hundreds of units off into the wild and all it takes is one litigious bonehead on the wrong side of mishandling to ruin his day and livelihood.

Meanwhile, if you’re using reputable cells and chargers and not carrying your spares loose in your pocket with your keys and paper clips, you’re a good way there on the safety front.

moondog

You can certainly never be too respectful of the power they squeeze into an 18650 but it’s also true that Marc’s liability risks as the sole maker and seller of the device are very different from your physical risk as a user.

Marc’s literally shipping hundreds of units off into the wild and all it takes is one litigious bonehead on the wrong side of mishandling to ruin his day and livelihood.

Meanwhile, if you’re using reputable cells and chargers and not carrying your spares loose in your pocket with your keys and paper clips, you’re a good way there on the safety front.

I hear and appreciate everything you're saying. I use Samsung cells purchased from Li-ion or similar retailer, charge them with a Nitecore D4, any battery not in the vape is in a case or has a cap on one end, and batteries are only transported in cases.

But as I alluded to in an earlier post, I find myself making more and more stupid mistakes these days and so I need to "moondog-proof" more and more of my life.

And besides, it's gonna be SO COOL to get a new FW!!

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Yeah, I remember when Marc posted on reddit as to why he was making the battery pack. The reasoning as the vendor responsible definitely makes sense to me, but its otherwise hard for me to get too excited about it. The fundamental problem I have with it is that 18650s have a very finite lifespan, depending on use (maybe a year give or take some months on either side of that). When it comes time to replace I've either got to pull it apart, solder one in, and reconstruct the battery holder, or send it in and pay $25 + shipping and handling for a battery that otherwise costs $5 (https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/molicel-all-products/products/molicel-p26a). Also a quibble but if you're going all the way to a battery pack maybe do a few 18650s or 21700s for better battery life!

I'm on the list which is neat, so I'll reserve judgement until I see what some early first impressions are. I'm pretty excited to get a FW, as I never got an 8. The battery pack (and I guess the stem connection, but presumably a wpa will be an option at some point) are just let downs. Someone else summed it up well--I think if I could use my spot on the list to grab a 7 or an 8 I'd be more inclined to swing for a 7 at this point, but we will see what folks think when its in some hands.

dieezus

Yeah, I remember when Marc posted on reddit as to why he was making the battery pack. The reasoning as the vendor responsible definitely makes sense to me, but its otherwise hard for me to get too excited about it. The fundamental problem I have with it is that 18650s have a very finite lifespan, depending on use (maybe a year give or take some months on either side of that). When it comes time to replace I've either got to pull it apart, solder one in, and reconstruct the battery holder, or send it in and pay $25 + shipping and handling for a battery that otherwise costs $5 (https://www.18650batterystore.com/collections/molicel-all-products/products/molicel-p26a). Also a quibble but if you're going all the way to a battery pack maybe do a few 18650s or 21700s for better battery life!

I'm on the list which is neat, so I'll reserve judgement until I see what some early first impressions are. I'm pretty excited to get a FW, as I never got an 8. The battery pack (and I guess the stem connection, but presumably a wpa will be an option at some point) are just let downs. Someone else summed it up well--I think if I could use my spot on the list to grab a 7 or an 8 I'd be more inclined to swing for a 7 at this point, but we will see what folks think when its in some hands.
He could have also made it easily replaceable too. A "permanent" battery door that you can pop off would fulfill the need of the enthusiasts who know their shit when it comes to 18650s. It will also be enough of a deterrent that casual users won't do it in case it breaks the unit.

dieezus,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I think if I could use my spot on the list to grab a 7 or an 8 I'd be more inclined to swing for a 7 at this point, but we will see what folks think when its in some hands.
Yeah, agreed! I know it would never happen, but I do wish the 7 was still an option... it’s one of the best fricken portables ever made, and as someone said above it changed the game. I do believe it should have switched up how Marc releases his creations because to just take an instant classic off the market like that is pretty brutal!

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Yeah, agreed! I know it would never happen, but I do wish the 7 was still an option... it’s one of the best fricken portables ever made, and as someone said above it changed the game. I do believe it should have switched up how Marc releases his creations because to just take an instant classic off the market like that is pretty brutal!
Ironically when I was looking to buy my first vape waaaaaaay back in like...2020 or maybe early 2021 I think you talked about the FW7 lol. I think on reddit or maybe here you made the connection between pourover coffee and what I might be into :lol:. At the time I thought a log would do the trick well for me--and it did! Kinda kicking myself for never jumping on the 7 before they took off though. After getting lucky with a TP80 I couldn't bring myself to fight through rapid fire drops anymore.

Texus

Can someone explain this email list. Been a Firewood customer for a while but I'm just hearing about this now. When/where was this waitlist announced?
Same experience here. I thought I had signed up for an email list. But must have been high....

Texus,

hippogriff

Same experience here. I thought I had signed up for an email list. But must have been high....
It was a bit ambiguous this time around. I’ve been waitlisting FWs since 4, I don’t remember any now’s-the-time announcements about it from Firewood, but it was clearer that it was something you could do in the past.

When I realized FW8 was on the way, I emailed Firewood asking to be added, that was maybe in February? Wasn’t sure if that was for notification or ordering till emails went out today, in Group B.

hippogriff,

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
After getting lucky with a TP80 I couldn't bring myself to fight through rapid fire drops anymore.
You're not the first person that I’ve heard say this, there’s a whole bunch of people who’ve been scarred by their P80 buying experience! :lol: I discovered those sort of drops just aren’t good for my health and try to avoid them if I can.

Lyonafa

Hi guys !

I'm on the wishlist group B, but still thinking if I want one or pass .
I was attracted by the firewood because of the non-log, switchable batteries and easy to use (non pods)...

Somehow i cannot post on the Sale/trade topic in fuckcombustion. So if someone is selling his firewood 7, I'll be glad to buy it :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi guys !

I'm on the wishlist group B, but still thinking if I want one or pass .
I was attracted by the firewood because of the non-log, switchable batteries and easy to use (non pods)...

Somehow i cannot post on the Sale/trade topic in fuckcombustion. So if someone is selling his firewood 7, I'll be glad to buy it :)
I see you are a relatively new member. Welcome!
Part of posting in the Classifieds involves reading the rules (see red banner at top in Classified). There are minimum requirements before a new member can post.

Also, soliciting to buy or sell a vape is not supposed to happen in these, the "knowledge base" vaporizer threads, these are for discussing use of the particular vape.

I apologize if this sounds unfriendly; these are a couple of the long-standing rules of the road here.
Best of luck!

Lyonafa

I see you are a relatively new member. Welcome!
Part of posting in the Classifieds involves reading the rules (see red banner at top in Classified). There are minimum requirements before a new member can post.

Also, soliciting to buy or sell a vape is not supposed to happen in these, the "knowledge base" vaporizer threads, these are for discussing use of the particular vape.

I apologize if this sounds unfriendly; these are a couple of the long-standing rules of the road here.
Best of luck!
Okok got it, thanks for the info :)

So I was a bit of a doofus all this year and failed to email Marc to get on the notification list. I did send an email yesterday for posterity, as I'd be happy to wait while folks get to stress testing the new design. For the same reasons others have mentioned (price hikes, proprietary stems, and the battery pack most of all), right now I don't foresee the 8 replacing my 7's. More than likely I would still want to give it a spin if and when we start seeing them go up for trade.

Taking into account the 4 recall and the current govt. memo on loose cells, I can understand why Marc is flying safe with this one. That doesn't make it any less disappointing as a customer, however. At this juncture I'm a bit hesitant to drop over $300 on a device without a contingency plan. Perhaps somebody will work out a power adapter ala MFLB to make the Firewood into a portable super log? Whatever the case may be, I do wish Marc all the best with his continuing efforts. All the work he's done for the scene up to this point still demands much respect 🤟

p.s. Do we know yet about plans for WPA that'll be amenable with the new mouthpiece design? Running the 7 through water is still simply wonderful.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
p.s. Do we know yet about plans for WPA that'll be amenable with the new mouthpiece design? Running the 7 through water is still simply wonderful.

I have been wondering this myself. So far no information has been released as far as I can tell. This photo leads me to think one might be possible that keeps the great features of the FW7 WPA:
fw8-mp-rem.jpg

Top Bottom