Firewood Vaporizer

dieezus

Marc is 1000% going to have an adapter similar to the FW7 for dyna stems.

Also, I have done some more thinking. The 8 feels like a transitional vape between the 7 and 9.

The 7 seemed like a proof of concept for his heater and wood aesthetic.

The 8 seems like a practice in specific designs that are aimed toward the mainstream.
  • One piece stem that is easy to clean for less enthusiastic users.
  • The pod system, which regardless of how you feel is a pretty big deal. I'm wondering if there will be a way to just have a single capsule that you can permanently affix to the 8 so that it works more like the 7 but with a screw off top rather than the slide.
  • The battery pack is also way more casual-friendly. They don't have to research 18650s to get a new battery, they don't have to research how to properly transport and store them, they just simply have a battery pack.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 9 be his ticket to the more mainstream audience. It will take the heater from the 7/8, refine the capsule and battery pack system, and streamline the design so it looks less piecemeal.

chary-ka

The 8 feels like a transitional vape between the 7 and 9.
I agree. It feels like he is testing out some new concepts while also trying to stay close to the feel of the 7. I think once people see an adapter for dyna stems, they won't find that nonremovable 18650 as that big of a drawback. But there will always be people who want to be able to replace everything on their own, and other's who don't want to have to tinker with anything.

oldbay

The 8 feels like a transitional vape between the 7 and 9.

I kinda feel this way too, but I don't want to be too harsh on the new design until it actually gets into people's hands. Some of my thoughts:

I actually kinda like the hodgepodge nature of it. Feels kinda sci-fi, not quite as artful as the Nomad but I could see it in the same vein. With that said I love the neat lines of my FW7 and that would certainly have more appeal. I could see this being a compromise between style and ease of manufacture, though. Given the FW7 availability difficulties, I imagined FW8 would put more emphasis on this.

I dig the fused stem. If those become available a la carte I might pick one up for my 7. I also agree w/ others that the FW7 stem conversion kit will likely still be sold. The fused stem offers an improved stock experience without sacrificing (IMO) the extensibility of the "dynavap-compat" stem system. (Total aside but the sliding stem is lowkey a killer feature of the FW7 and I'm glad it's being carried forward)

Love the pod system in theory. Curious to see what people's experience is like. Wondering what loading/unloading is like. I usually use carts when out of the house, but even inside the house I love the convenience of portables and would 100% use pods/capsules even if I'm 20ft from my grinder lol.

The battery is a bit clumsy and as others have mentioned, difficulty of replacement is a downside. However I'm fully onboard with moving away from bare 18650's, they're not dangerous if you're careful but were never intended as a consumer-grade resource.

Maybe a future revision to make the 18650's easier to swap in their sleds (no soldering) would be the best of both worlds? The biggest concern w/ the FW7 involved pulling out and slotting in 18650s every time you ran the battery down -- using the FW7 necessitates directly handling 18650s. If it had onboard charging, the battery danger would still exist but would also accomodate a usage mode that doesn't require the user to handle the batteries.

I think the FW8's wooden battery sled, with its onboard charging and swappability, is a really cool idea. I wonder if swapping 18650s from the sleds could be made easier. The intention being not to swap them whenever they need to charge, but just swap them (without needing to solder a powerful battery) at the end of their life. I realize there are technical concerns regarding strength of contact (and of course Marc's personal risk tolerance); just a thought as a layman. In any case, if I wanted to take a FW8 on the go and knew I'd need more than one charge, 2 sleds + a USBC powerbank sounds better to me than throwing some 18650s in my backpack.

Final thought, I notice the mouthpiece side doesn't appear to have a sliding wood housing. I have to admit I love how easy it is to swap between stock stem and WPA, FW7 feels utterly unique in that regard, but I think the update is probably for the best. Those little carved rails do stick occasionally and I'm always afraid that one day they'll just seize up.

Since I'm fortunate enough to own a FW7, I'll probably skip this edition (at least until I get to see how it performs out in the wild). If the FW7 didn't exist or I didn't have one, I think I'd be drooling over this. Based solely on pictures this iteration seems to have some good and some bad, but it clearly has the same soul as the FW7 and I expect will be an elite vape just like the 7 is.

EDIT: oh my god, one more thing. The biggest irritation with my FW7 (and it is admittedly minor) is how easy it is to accidentally leak herb into the battery compartment when loading the oven. I also always check the battery life after unloading the oven because swapping batteries with a full oven can also make a mess. FW8 bypassing this entirely is actually a pretty big convenience.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
hmm, no email and page is just a banner....

I don't think the website has been updated yet, just email him to get on the list, he is replying to emails as best he can though he is obviously swamped!

I heard back from him, I had mentioned a couple small suggestions, a few questions, I will list them here so you see what I learned easily:
  • The USBC cable that is available for $21 or at discount included in the early bird bundle, actually does indeed come with a fast charge AC adapter plug as well! Much better value now, I actually would like that accessory myself

• The heater block is made out of cherry wood, particularly because it seems to have even better neutral taste properties than the walnut, he will try walnut again too perhaps, since that tends to be what he has the most of to make most of the bodies, perhaps an all cherry wood unit could be possible at extra cost (that's just my guessing)

• Finally, he may release a newer battery pack down the line, perhaps with a 20700 or 21700 cell, which would make that piece slightly longer and the whole thing more uniform looking perhaps? But also provide a lot more battery life! Could take a while before that is a reality if it ever is...
The other feedback I had mentioned to him, was about the hole in the bottom, perhaps making it smaller, covering the ceramic portion, so there is less risk of touching the hot parts when you are holding it clutched, but we'll see about that, he'll play around with it, but that is where the circuit board gets installed so there might not be much room to work with... I'll check in with him again once my name comes up on the list!

Oh and my guess is that a WPA option will just be a glass stem with 14 mm male tip, so you wouldn't be using the FW8 upright the same way with a different style WPA like the FW7, unless you had a right angle adapter? We'll see!

hippogriff

Anyone else feel like, when you rotate your phone or your head 90 degrees to have FW8 stand up straight, the design looks better?

I, too, am distracted by the busy-feeling design, too many faces, and the cherry looks out of place, especially w perpendicular grain, also because it’s too square (round over those two outside corners to match the other side?).

But this is part of why I love Firewoods, each version is a really thoughtful balancing of a long list of design goals. Lots here to notice, like how the screw cap lines up straight and level with it’s side. Looking forward to noticing more.

The modular battery design opens up some other possibilities, too, like a double- or triple-18650 version? Tho personally, I milked the same two H2s the entire 2+ years my FW7 was my dd, suited my use just fine.

dieezus

Oh and my guess is that a WPA option will just be a glass stem with 14 mm male tip, so you wouldn't be using the FW8 upright the same way with a different style WPA like the FW7, unless you had a right angle adapter? We'll see!
I would guess that it will end up being a right-angle adapter that would plug into where the stem is, which is kind of a bummer since the airpath isn't as open.

Falconflys

I agree. It feels like he is testing out some new concepts while also trying to stay close to the feel of the 7. I think once people see an adapter for dyna stems, they won't find that nonremovable 18650 as that big of a drawback. But there will always be people who want to be able to replace everything on their own, and other's who don't want to have to tinker with anything.
He emailed me and said the 7 is 5mm and the 8 is 6mm. He's going to have an adapter for other stems to fit the 6mm 8 design.

checkyourlibido

Finally, he may release a newer battery pack down the line, perhaps with a 20700 or 21700 cell, which would make that piece slightly longer and the whole thing more uniform looking perhaps? But also provide a lot more battery life! Could take a while before that is a reality if it ever is...
Oh nice! I would def be in on a 21700. I was thinking of doing a 21700 box mod, but maybe I'll hold off with this news. And I honestly just don't know if I actually want to tinker with a box mod, lol.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh nice! I would def be in on a 21700. I was thinking of doing a 21700 box mod, but maybe I'll hold off with this news. And I honestly just don't know if I actually want to tinker with a box mod, lol.

It's only a maybe though, and it will be a while away if so, just so you know!

smith.street.band

I don't really care either way, but thanks for the suggestion. I will email him

We are a small group, but realistically no one actually gives AF. It's literally portable ovens, not some samurai warrior code, FFS. Y'all get way too culty about this stuff for real

Not skipping in line is culty? Says a lot about you as a person

checkyourlibido

I don't really care either way, but thanks for the suggestion. I will email him

We are a small group, but realistically no one actually gives AF. It's literally portable ovens, not some samurai warrior code, FFS. Y'all get way too culty about this stuff for real
It sounds like you do care and I respect that. You cared enough to offer your position in line to someone else. You tried to do the right thing. I offered a counter perspective, where by doing that, you may be letting someone farther back in line or not in line at all, skip the queue.

And then you cared enough to write a powerful statement including references to the samurai warrior code. FFS, you care so much and I love you for it. Thank you for being a part of the FC cult.

MedMJ22

For people still talking about the battery, he has to protect himself from liability. You can’t have a “permanent” bay that is modifiable or not truly “permanent” or you risk liability. It happens with tools where people remove safeties and hurt themselves. He likely doesn’t have a large insurance policy to protect himself, like companies do. He’s being safe and shouldn’t be criticized, because a single lawsuit could easily shut him down.

I’m in Group D and eagerly await first impressions from others.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
PXL-20220721-172912201.jpg

The FW7 WPA is the is in stock right now for those who want to up their game.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
After ruminating for a while I'm not sure if I'm that excited for the 8 when compared to my trusty 7.

I'm not the biggest fan of the pod system, unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem that easy to remove the capsule. Sure you could flip it upside down so the gravity takes hold but then you spill your avb/flower everywhere?

I hate the one piece stem. Part of the reason that the 7 was such a hit IMO was because of how much tinkering you could do with the MP since it fit most Dyna stems.

I don't know if the capsule system is worth giving up my Revolve or stinger as a cooling option.

Just kinda feels like a FW7 with more proprietary features.
Misses me as well. That battery pack idea is a negative to me, I never wanted/liked capsules for any of my portables, and the FW8 looks less fitted and more overworked than the FW7. And does it really have a bowl piece with the grain perpendicular to the stem housing and battery box? 🤦‍♂️ I hope I'm wrong - just looking at Jill's pics from a page ago

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Nice, I wish I could buy this
You can buy everything except for one, albeit crucial, part easily.

Edite to add: I forgot that you can only use a check to pay for the WPA. So that also does not count as easily purchased.

Last edited:
Grass Yes,
Reactions: condition
Top Bottom