Firewood Vaporizer

Chingas

Yes. No matter which mouthpiece I use it is the same. When I vape a bowl it takes a few hits for me to get more than terps.

Chingas,

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I'm wondering if my FW7 is messed up. It's very airy. When I take the battery cover off and plug the top of the bowl and the 4 intake holes on the side I still get the same airflow. It doesn't matter which mouthpiece I use including the wpa. I also just tried it without any mouthpiece and just drawing on the bottom of the bowl. Same thing.

Yes. No matter which mouthpiece I use it is the same. When I vape a bowl it takes a few hits for me to get more than terps.

:hmm:
I have a question... regarding this^^
I don't have my FW7 yet, but from the images I've seen, it doesn't seem possible to completely isolate the air intake from the bottom and top of the chamber, as they just touch. Am I right or not?
How is air flow compared to tinymight?:p

dzoinp,

Ripstar

Hmm, are you using the new cooling mouth piece adapter or the original? I have definitely noticed a little more airflow with the new cooling setup. I noticed my ceramic piece was sitting higher because a plug wasn't secure. After I finagled it tighter, I got more resistance.

I do take a much longer first draught now.

Ripstar,

Chingas

I've used the original, the new one and the wpa. Same results. When I test it it sounds like air is flowing in through the battery compartment.

Chingas,

Ripstar

I've used the original, the new one and the wpa. Same results. When I test it it sounds like air is flowing in through the battery compartment.
Thats strange with how tight the compartment is. Did you email Marc? I am wondering if your ceramic doesn't fit right.

Ripstar,

Chingas

I'll get in touch with him. What's the airflow like when you cover those 4 intake holes and take a draw?

Chingas,

Ripstar

My airflow feels the same if I cover the airholes, but the sound changes slightly.
this, except I don't notice a sound change. Let me fire mine up quick, since you're "making" me... 😂

I'll get in touch with him. What's the airflow like when you cover those 4 intake holes and take a draw?
seems normal. If anything, maybe the tiniest change. It might be ceramic placing. Not sure how fast you are draughting, but my first pull is always long and slow for terps. But, if you are getting that much air, some seal might be off.

Ripstar,

Chingas

I’ll try again. I must admit my VaBong arrived the day before my FW and I’ve been hitting it a lot. I may have been a little...medicated. I probably just fucked things up. Report back tomorrow.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
seems normal. If anything, maybe the tiniest change. It might be ceramic placing. Not sure how fast you are draughting, but my first pull is always long and slow for terps. But, if you are getting that much air, some seal might be off.
There is for sure air coming from the battery compartment. take The lid off, cover it with your finger and also cover the holes. Definite air from the battery for me. Even with the wpa.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I’ll try again. I must admit my VaBong arrived the day before my FW and I’ve been hitting it a lot. I may have been a little...medicated. I probably just fucked things up. Report back tomorrow.

Haha this is classic, maybe spend some time with one for a bit, before getting into another. Quite tough to learn two new very different vapes at once, especially when they can wreck you in the process! :lol: :tup:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Ironically last night I saw a post on reddit talking about the airflow thing too. I'll try to edit the screenshots in from my phone in a minute. But I did verify this... and found it interesting the guys comment that it changed once he swapped the MP.

I did verify though, with my cooling MP, if I take the top slide off, plug the bowl with my finger, and cover the side intake holes, I still get a pretty non-restricted airflow, when theoretically, there should be none?

To clarify.... if I didnt see these posts I would never know. Performance is not an issue

6253-FD44-7-ED5-4-A6-F-BD38-D6-FDAD970-F68.png
8-C372-C9-F-7-CB3-402-E-B43-F-93-C98-F648238.png
F7-C619-C5-997-C-49-C1-A2-A8-84-A0-A23-D7-D2-B.png

florduh

To clarify.... if I didnt see these posts I would never know. Performance is not an issue

Right, I don't think it's a performance issue. More of a possible, but unlikely, health issue. If there truly is air passing over warm electronics, and into the mouthpiece.... that's not ideal. I'm wondering if the way the air moves while fully assembled ensures little to none passes through the circuit board area.

Really interested to see @firewood 's take on it. He's been building quality wood vapes for a while now, so I'm certain this is something he's thought about.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Right, I don't think it's a performance issue. More of a possible, but unlikely, health issue. If there truly is air passing over warm electronics, and into the mouthpiece.... that's not ideal. I'm wondering if the way the air moves while fully assembled ensures little to none passes through the circuit board area.

Really interested to see @firewood 's take on it. He's been building quality wood vapes for a while now, so I'm certain this is something he's thought about.
im really interested in his take on this too. You’d figure a vape of this caliber would have an isolated airpath

florduh

im really interested in his take on this too. You’d figure a vape of this caliber would have an isolated airpath

I agree, but want to hear him out before making too many assumptions. Marc's been making these wood units for years. He also uses them personally. So he wants to make a safe product and is experienced at doing so.

I remember there was some issue with the FW4 that required everyone to ship their unit back in. He needed to make a physical modification to each unit. So my concern at this point isn't that Marc wouldn't correct any potential issues. It's that this could make my wait time longer :lol:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I agree, but want to hear him out before making too many assumptions. Marc's been making these wood units for years. He also uses them personally. So he wants to make a safe product and is experienced at doing so.

I remember there was some issue with the FW4 that required everyone to ship their unit back in. He needed to make a physical modification to each unit. So my concern at this point isn't that Marc wouldn't correct any potential issues. It's that this could make my wait time longer :lol:
Very true.

Arawfish,

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

Yeah pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm not worried by any means. I'm more curious about how the performance would change if the air gaps were sealed. It seems that this set up, with the cooling stem, that apparently makes the airpath not-isolated, which I would think would make the convection part less effective?

@BrianTL I figured the reddit poster was the same poster here, lol.

Definitely air coming in. I really hope it turns out to a be non issue, I REALLY love this device.

I thought so too, but the posts seemed a bit different. I could be wrong though @Chingas is that you?

I hope its a non issue too... this easily became one of my all-around favorites, very quickly...

florduh

It seems that this set up, with the cooling stem, that apparently makes the airpath not-isolated, which I would think would make the convection part less effective?

Possibly. Though I haven't seen anyone who went from the OG mouthpiece to the cooling unit describe a change in performance. I really like the ability to use cooling stems though, so hopefully that feature stays.

florduh,
Reactions: BrianTL

Vaporware

@BrianTL I figured the reddit poster was the same poster here, lol.

Definitely air coming in. I really hope it turns out to a be non issue, I REALLY love this device.

I didn’t bring up the airflow, but I did bring up the electronics...in case you were referring to me, I actually read that post on reddit too and that’s what prompted me to ask about it while others were discussing the source of the extra airflow.

I would really prefer an isolated air path too, but I know a lot of popular and well respected vaporizers don’t have isolated air paths and I don’t really know how many with electronic components are isolated. It’s not an easy thing to do with most designs.

Just as an example, the TinyMight isn’t isolated either. It also has holes for the heater that reach down into the electronics compartment, and that isn’t airtight so some air does come in around the metal plate, over the electronics, and up through the holes/heater. Similar (or worse) issues with stuff from the big mainstream brands too.

This is actually one of the things that pushed me toward the Nomad in the portable world and the FlowerPot on the desktop side. No electronics at all or no electronics anywhere near the heater/air path.

That said, while I haven’t heard previous discussions about this in relation to the FW7 and I wasn’t thinking about the issue when I unexpectedly ordered one, unless Marc expresses concern I still plan to try mine when it gets here and I don’t think it’s necessarily a dealbreaker, just...not ideal in my opinion.

Others may even feel that pulling air over the electronics to keep them cool is actually better, and from the perspective of the electronics at least I think that’s true. :lol:

I would like to hear what Marc thinks about it, and it looks like the reddit thread would have made it over here even without me, but I never intended to start assembling the villagers with torches and pitchforks to come for him!

So please, everyone, try not to let this go off the rails while we wait to hear @firewood ’s thoughts? :ugh:

Also, I’m not sure that reddit post was right about the original mouthpiece section being very different. I believe it was still open on the inside, and at least wasn’t a consistent airtight seal between the parts.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Possibly. Though I haven't seen anyone who went from the OG mouthpiece to the cooling unit describe a change in performance. I really like the ability to use cooling stems though, so hopefully that feature stays.

Good point. I forget that they didnt always come with the cooling MP installed

BrianTL,
Reactions: florduh

BarneyRose

Ironically last night I saw a post on reddit talking about the airflow thing too. I'll try to edit the screenshots in from my phone in a minute. But I did verify this... and found it interesting the guys comment that it changed once he swapped the MP.

I did verify though, with my cooling MP, if I take the top slide off, plug the bowl with my finger, and cover the side intake holes, I still get a pretty non-restricted airflow, when theoretically, there should be none?

6253-FD44-7-ED5-4-A6-F-BD38-D6-FDAD970-F68.png
8-C372-C9-F-7-CB3-402-E-B43-F-93-C98-F648238.png
F7-C619-C5-997-C-49-C1-A2-A8-84-A0-A23-D7-D2-B.png
u/munsunned here! So weird seeing my reddit username outside of reddit!

Top Bottom