Firewood Vaporizer

nattramn

Why can't I find a single video of the Firewood 8 in action on Youtube? Is it really that elusive?

Last edited:

hippogriff

FW9 charging up for first bowl! FW8 was my DD since it came out, this was mostly an aesthetic upgrade for me, plus habit, I've been here since FW3. While it's not much smaller than 8, the single block of walnut LOOKS smaller, simpler, prettier, it's a FW7 with usb-c, tuned up heater, and a capsule system.

Feel compelled to say here how grateful I am for small vape makers like Firewood, Morwood, Tinymight, and (RIP) RBT. I left combustion over a decade ago and tried to stick with portable vapes this whole ride. I ran a fucking MFLB as my only device for a year and a half, went from 30sec sessions to 15minute+ sessions, that's as good a measure of my commitment to FC as anything. All those conduction-only devices with flashing lights, phone interfaces, cheap manufacturing but prices to match their expensive corporate structures, yuck. Convection portables made vaping awesome (I give RBT credit here but I know there were others), but we still had years of breath control and button timing, and gear bags full of tools and glass. It wasn't till FW5 that I finally got back to one, quick, reliable device in my pocket, plus a tube of ground flower. Then FW7 brought us the hybrid heater, and it pretty much felt like the journey was complete for me. I'm STILL unlearning breathing technique, served a little w FW7 but w the more powerful 8 it really wasn't necessary, just wait till the second buzz and pull as hard as I want, charging up a hill walking the dog, didn't matter. Now we're just at the point of iterative changes, with a half dozen small shops catering to our needs, so cool. Not cheap, sure, but all these devices would be twice as expensive coming from bigger companies. And back to Firewoods - simple materials, super thought through design, minimal lights, one-button interface, haptics, capsules, on-board charging w protection, amazing heater design.

Not sure where Marc will take it from here, hope he stays busy and in the black w FW9s for awhile.

chililvr

How do you clean these? But then the only other wood device I have had was combustion and impossible to clean. (I know there is a difference 🤔). This is seeming more like the device I want but cleaning is a concern.

chililvr,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
How do you clean these? But then the only other wood device I have had was combustion and impossible to clean. (I know there is a difference 🤔). This is seeming more like the device I want but cleaning is a concern.
Cleaning the FW9 is dead simple.

Capsules and cooling tube/mouthpiece can soak in iso and then be rinsed. I swab the ceramic elbow with an iso-soaked q-tip and rinse.

I've never had any need to clean the wood.

Letting the ceramic and glass pieces dry out takes longer than the actual cleaning process.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah I think you might be confused, most wooden vapes just have wood shells, the actual vapor pathway and chambers are made of glass and ceramic (or various metals too in other vapes) wood separate

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Yeah I think you might be confused, most wooden vapes just have wood shells, the actual vapor pathway and chambers are made of glass and ceramic (or various metals too in other vapes) wood separate

well that’s true of many..but for some like the dynavap which has a metal condenser tube in a wood shell, but the wood isn’t isolated from the air path.

same with the Vapman, metal pan with a wood airpath,
or butane bricks like SB or Nova, wood and glass mixed,
the Milaana has a mixed wood and glass,
not to mention tons of folks that prefer wood stems for the cooling aspect.

Canna Chameleon,

chililvr

Cleaning the FW9 is dead simple.

Capsules and cooling tube/mouthpiece can soak in iso and then be rinsed. I swab the ceramic elbow with an iso-soaked q-tip and rinse.

I've never had any need to clean the wood.

Letting the ceramic and glass pieces dry out takes longer than the actual cleaning process.
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, that’s what I figured but I didn’t know if vapor would be in contact with the wood. Thank you for your reply!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
well that’s true of many..but for some like the dynavap which has a metal condenser tube in a wood shell, but the wood isn’t isolated from the air path.

same with the Vapman, metal pan with a wood airpath,
or butane bricks like SB or Nova, wood and glass mixed,

Yeah I was not really referring to any of those, I was only talking about the electronic artisan vapes, these butane driven devices you mentioned all have wood in the pathways and involve completely different designs

I was trying to speak pretty broadly in mention of any other vapes, this is the firewood thread after all...

the Milaana has a mixed wood and glass,
not to mention tons of folks that prefer wood stems for the cooling aspect.

Milaana wood does not get dirty at all, the only wood in the airpath is the little inlet hole, for fresh air to enter and then go into the glass section to become heated and then extract the herb from the bowl...

Obviously using a wood stem as your chamber and pathway would be completely different and I'm not talking about that, I also find wood to offer far less cooling and harsher hits that change the vapor quality profile in my experience... I would only use a wood stem with glass or metal liner for the pathway, ideally for the bowl as well though (I have ones I never use because of the cleaning primarily probably)

I suppose you could use a wood stem with the firewood, to get this back on topic lol

Yeah, that’s what I figured but I didn’t know if vapor would be in contact with the wood. Thank you for your reply!

Yeah for the firewood it is non-issue! Potentially if it gets really dirty there could be some oil from the ceramic parts or glass that could come into contact with the wood, pretty negligible and easy to wipe off though it is a small consideration really

Bigdave

Yeah I was not really referring to any of those, I was only talking about the electronic artisan vapes, these butane driven devices you mentioned all have wood in the pathways and involve completely different designs

I was trying to speak pretty broadly in mention of any other vapes, this is the firewood thread after all...

Milaana wood does not get dirty at all, the only wood in the airpath is the little inlet hole, for fresh air to enter and then go into the glass section to become heated and then extract the herb from the bowl...

Obviously using a wood stem as your chamber and pathway would be completely different and I'm not talking about that, I also find wood to offer far less cooling and harsher hits that change the vapor quality profile in my experience... I would only use a wood stem with glass or metal liner for the pathway, ideally for the bowl as well though (I have ones I never use because of the cleaning primarily probably)

I suppose you could use a wood stem with the firewood, to get this back on topic lol

Yeah for the firewood it is non-issue! Potentially if it gets really dirty there could be some oil from the ceramic parts or glass that could come into contact with the wood, pretty negligible and easy to wipe off though it is a small consideration really
There is wood in the air path in the 8/9 that does get hot inside the oven (mine is charred, although I probably hold the button down longer than I should heh) , as the plug has ridges for the airflow it doesn't sit flush against the ceramic joint. I'm thinking this is part of the reason for using cherry wood as the oven section and not walnut. It's a non issue for me as I don't really see singeing cherry wood as much more harmful than singeing cannabis to inhale.

@chililvr I find cleaning the Firewood is dead simple, probably one of the less involving of all my vapes. I just soak all the ceramic parts and glass in iso overnight and let dry for a few hours, a quick burn off and good to go again.

Bigdave,

Duba

Accessory Maker
I've had the Fw9 for about a month now and I waited until I'd used it properly before sharing my impressions here.
I was right to do so, because at first I compared it too much to the Fw7, which I love, whereas in the end it has its own characteristics. It's not an evolution of the FW7 (it is, of course, because that's what Marc has been working on for years) but a new vaporizer.

The heater heats up quickly and is powerful. It's a hybrid heater with a fair amount of convection, and the draught is fairly open (more so than on the FW7, which bothered me a bit at first).
I noticed a fairly regular black spot on the top of the bowl, but only on the surface, otherwise the avb is well roasted.

The design is ingenious, the battery is separate from the bowl, which is a good thing, the dirty parts are removable, the oven is visible, it's original.
I love the little screw cap, it makes the ritual unique and fun.
On the other hand, inserting the capsule is a bit tricky, you kind of have to throw it in and it's not easy to get it to fit straight in the first time, because of the depth.

Frankly, it's a great vaporiser, powerful, discreet and very well made.
All it needs now is a case, which I'm in the process of preparing.:D

moondog

On the other hand, inserting the capsule is a bit tricky, you kind of have to throw it in and it's not easy to get it to fit straight in the first time, because of the depth.

I know not everyone agrees, but for me, a pair of fine-pointed tweezers - ceramic tipped or not - make all the difference when inserting or removing capsules.

someTooL

I was a tweezer user also but have now smoothly transitioned to the prior mentioned loading upside down method.

I now have a different situation seeking advice for. My bottom oven door is not removable. I’ve tried running a session or two to warm it up but no luck. Thinking of taking it in the shower room for a little humidity.

moondog

I was a tweezer user also but have now smoothly transitioned to the prior mentioned loading upside down method.

I now have a different situation seeking advice for. My bottom oven door is not removable. I’ve tried running a session or two to warm it up but no luck. Thinking of taking it in the shower room for a little humidity.
My first thought is that the interior clip that holds the door in place is somehow mispositioned (made up word) and is now jamming the door in place. Not sure how that is possible, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Do you remember anything weird when you last cleaned the vape and replaced the door?

moondog,
Reactions: someTooL

someTooL

Nothing that stands out to me. I do remember the first time removing the door hunting for the spring that flew out lol.

someTooL,

moondog

Nothing that stands out to me. I do remember the first time removing the door hunting for the spring that flew out lol.
Yes, I think hunting for that spring is a FW rite of passage.

I don't think it's possible to close the door with the spring put in incorrectly without massive grindy problems, so I doubt that's it.

If everything works correctly and looks correct when you peer down into the chamber from above, I'm at a loss. Perhaps an email to Marc is in order.

moondog,

Savilion

Looking forward to getting my hands on the FW9 . It’s currently on route to me .

Can I use a Samsung 30Q in this vape?

Thanks

Savilion,

Vaporware

I noticed a fairly regular black spot on the top of the bowl, but only on the surface, otherwise the avb is well roasted.

Some people have said they poke a small hole down through the flower in the middle of the capsule; maybe that would help avoid the dark spot you’re seeing?

Duba

Accessory Maker
Some people have said they poke a small hole down through the flower in the middle of the capsule; maybe that would help avoid the dark spot you’re seeing?
The hotspot isn't in the middle but I'll certainly try that, thx!

Top Bottom