Firewood Vaporizer

Duba

Accessory Maker
hey there,
Inspired by the leather cover I made for the Fw7 over a year ago, I created this prototype for the Fw9, featuring :

-3 snaps for easy dressing and undressing
-a hole to access the fire button
-Free access to remove the stem and oven plug.
-A strap to protect the mouthpiece from dirt.
-High-quality, vegetable-tanned, hand-dyed leather.

I hope you like it!

Vaporware

If you need to buy the 9 now so it doesn’t sell out, if you have the extra 50 I’d just buy it and send Marc an e-mail to get a partial refund.

Otherwise I’d e-mail him and ask the best way to make it happen in the next batch.

Vaporware,

Savilion

Mine just arrived today , slapped me just as hard if not harder than my flowerpot. The conduction element of this vape gives me a more stoney high? I donno maybe it’s all in my head but wow, super impressed with this thing so far.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hi all,

Maybe more of a general wood care question, but does anyone know if there is something about leather that doesn't go well with wood? I bought a leather case to use with my FW7 from @Duba a couple of months ago. I put my Firewood in it and ended up not using it for a while, but pulled it out today to share with a friend on a walk by a river nearby. Along the bottom the wood seemed dried out and discolored (see the attached photo, specifically the white parts). It looks recovered after a good waxing, but is there a contraindication to storing a wood vape in leather like this? It almost seems like the moisture was pulled out of the firewood, but I don't know a ton about wood to check if that makes sense?

gordontreeman,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Hi all,

Maybe more of a general wood care question, but does anyone know if there is something about leather that doesn't go well with wood? I bought a leather case to use with my FW7 from @Duba a couple of months ago. I put my Firewood in it and ended up not using it for a while, but pulled it out today to share with a friend on a walk by a river nearby. Along the bottom the wood seemed dried out and discolored (see the attached photo, specifically the white parts). It looks recovered after a good waxing, but is there a contraindication to storing a wood vape in leather like this? It almost seems like the moisture was pulled out of the firewood, but I don't know a ton about wood to check if that makes sense?

Speaking from a guitar wood perspective: yes, wood can definitely dry out. Guitar fretboards (other than maple) often require some TLC in the form of a moisturising treatment of some sort. You can tell that the wood needs help when the grain opens up and lightens in color like in your picture . The waxing would certainly help.

As to whether leather would wick moisture out of the wood on your FW, leather will certainly absorb moisture but I don't know whether it would suck moisture out of wood as opposed to humidity in the air or water from being out in the rain or falling in the lake or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Duba

Accessory Maker
Maybe more of a general wood care question, but does anyone know if there is something about leather that doesn't go well with wood? I bought a leather case to use with my FW7 from @Duba a couple of months ago.
Hey,
in my experience, particularly with my Fw7, whose leather jacket almost never leaves it.
When I first started using it, I noticed that the Fw7 had lost its excess moisture, which was probably sucked out by the leather.
This can happen if you regularly feed the wood.
Since then, I haven't noticed any problems, or with any other vape, such as TM for example.

An application of wax should restore the shine to the wood, and the same goes for the leather, which also tends to dry out over time, so an application of beeswax will nourish it and restore the shine to the dye.

Perhaps it's best to remove the leather jacket from the device if it's not going to be used for a long time, so that the wood can breathe peacefully..

moondog

I just ordered my FW9!!
what battery and charger works? Can you do wax or rosin with this? Thank you 😊
Contrats on the purchase! I predict much happy vaping in your future.

If you're a domestic (to USA) purchaser you won't need to buy any batteries for it straight away. It'll come with one as part of the package.

If you're overseas, you will need to get some power on your own. I have always used these (currently out of stock at Lion) for all my FWs but I understand there are several excellent alternatives (or upgrades). Hopefully someone who is more up on these things can chime in. (Especially since I think I'll be needing to replace some of my old ones soon.) The question is always: given the slight variations in battery widths, does the battery you are thinking of getting fit the FW?

Charging is the same sort of situation. Once you've got a battery in there, you can charge it in the FW just by plugging in a USB C cable from a wall adapter.

If you want to remove the battery to charge it, get yourself a high-quality charger like those from Nitecore. As above, there are other options. But my Nitecore D4 has served me faithfully and well for many years. Whatever you get, make sure it has overcharge protection. A slow charging mode is not mandatory but is handy for prolonging battery life.

Someone else will have to address your rosin/wax question. I've never tried it.

chililvr

Contrats on the purchase! I predict much happy vaping in your future.

If you're a domestic (to USA) purchaser you won't need to buy any batteries for it straight away. It'll come with one as part of the package.

If you're overseas, you will need to get some power on your own. I have always used these (currently out of stock at Lion) for all my FWs but I understand there are several excellent alternatives (or upgrades). Hopefully someone who is more up on these things can chime in. (Especially since I think I'll be needing to replace some of my old ones soon.) The question is always: given the slight variations in battery widths, does the battery you are thinking of getting fit the FW?

Charging is the same sort of situation. Once you've got a battery in there, you can charge it in the FW just by plugging in a USB C cable from a wall adapter.

If you want to remove the battery to charge it, get yourself a high-quality charger like those from Nitecore. As above, there are other options. But my Nitecore D4 has served me faithfully and well for many years. Whatever you get, make sure it has overcharge protection. A slow charging mode is not mandatory but is handy for prolonging battery life.

Someone else will have to address your rosin/wax question. I've never tried it.
Thank you for the advice, I am hoping to pick up a spare or two in case one fails. Also, I can have a fully charged battery waiting for the FW to get here lol

Vaporware

I don’t have a FW9, but I don’t remember hearing about batteries not fitting in this one yet.

In the FW7 and others I still use Mollicel P26A and P28A (slightly more capacity but I only bought them because they were on sale for about the same as the P26A).

Last time I looked they were probably the best available. If that’s changed though, I’d like to hear what’s competing in the top tier now! :)

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I just ordered my FW9!!
what battery and charger works? Can you do wax or rosin with this? Thank you 😊
Very late to the party but I personally use wax/rosin in my firewood 7/9 with the sandwich method:
- Fill ~1/2-2/3 of the bowl with herb.
- Pack it tight.
- Add your concentrate (usually do the recommended dose of about a grain of rice)
- Cover with a sprinkling of about half the original amount of herb and pack tight again

I’ve heard cotton or hemp fibers should also work but I haven’t tried it.

On a related note, while I have been getting good effects in my 9, it’s been taking more heat cycles to get to where I want to be compared to my 7, and the vapor is wispy at best, so I assume I’m doing something wrong. I pack the capsules tight (usually with a bit of concentrate) and to vape I heat up, wait a second or 2 after the ready buzz and start inhaling at a medium speed, count to 5, release the button and continue to inhale for a few seconds after the end buzz just like in my fw 7.

I’ve tried changing my draw speed (constant slow speed, constant high speed, varied speed with slow start accelerating to high speed finish) and haven’t found much difference, though back to back hits seem to work the best. Any ideas that might help?

Duba

Accessory Maker
I’ve tried changing my draw speed (constant slow speed, constant high speed, varied speed with slow start accelerating to high speed finish) and haven’t found much difference, though back to back hits seem to work the best. Any ideas that might help?
At the beginning, I tended to use my Fw9 like the 7, with less interesting results.

Then, as there is more convection and the airflow is more open on the 9, I adapted my draw time, which I lengthened, with short pauses keeping the button pressed to refill the heat oven.

it gives something like that : Heat +2sec, start with a long slow draw, pause, long stronger draw, release the button and continue to inhale for a few seconds to finish.

Now I get very good results with big, thick clouds. I love both, these are awesome devices!
IMG-20230625-163617.jpg

moondog

Very late to the party but I personally use wax/rosin in my firewood 7/9 with the sandwich method:
- Fill ~1/2-2/3 of the bowl with herb.
- Pack it tight.
- Add your concentrate (usually do the recommended dose of about a grain of rice)
- Cover with a sprinkling of about half the original amount of herb and pack tight again

I’ve heard cotton or hemp fibers should also work but I haven’t tried it.

On a related note, while I have been getting good effects in my 9, it’s been taking more heat cycles to get to where I want to be compared to my 7, and the vapor is wispy at best, so I assume I’m doing something wrong. I pack the capsules tight (usually with a bit of concentrate) and to vape I heat up, wait a second or 2 after the ready buzz and start inhaling at a medium speed, count to 5, release the button and continue to inhale for a few seconds after the end buzz just like in my fw 7.

What temp preset level are you using? Do you maybe need to up those preset temps?

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
What temp preset level are you using? Do you maybe need to up those preset temps?
Usually I start at 2 for 2-4 hits, then switch to 3 for the remainder until it tastes done. I’ve combusted a few times in my 7 on 3 so I’m leery of adjusting too much, but might try unregulated tonight if Duba’s trick doesn’t fully fix things since the stem definitely doesn’t get as hot as my 7 after back to back hits so it might be running a tad cold

Octavia,

EarthworldTim

Usually I start at 2 for 2-4 hits, then switch to 3 for the remainder until it tastes done. I’ve combusted a few times in my 7 on 3 so I’m leery of adjusting too much, but might try unregulated tonight if Duba’s trick doesn’t fully fix things since the stem definitely doesn’t get as hot as my 7 after back to back hits so it might be running a tad cold
But what temps are those presets set for?

EarthworldTim,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
At the beginning, I tended to use my Fw9 like the 7, with less interesting results.

Then, as there is more convection and the airflow is more open on the 9, I adapted my draw time, which I lengthened, with short pauses keeping the button pressed to refill the heat oven.

it gives something like that : Heat +2sec, start with a long slow draw, pause, long stronger draw, release the button and continue to inhale for a few seconds to finish.

Now I get very good results with big, thick clouds. I love both, these are awesome devices!
Can confirm that adding a slow draw + pause followed by a long fast draw at the end definitely improved the vapor! Did some other tests and it felt like my main issue with prior sessions was that I wasn’t drawing long enough, the change from holding the button for ~5 to 7+ seconds really made the most difference regardless of whether I paused or not.

Unregulated mode didn’t do much extra except scorch some of the bowl, but that probably was because I was scared of combusting so I didn’t properly focus on breath control. Still considering a 10 degree temperature bump on my presets but I think my biggest gripe is solved!

PossumMD

So, here's one for you all... Scroll back and you'll see how tepid I was on the fw8, but I've been living it cos it microdoses so well like its forebear, but I like to clear a bowl then leave it for an hour or two, then empty it. Why? Cos I literally have gotten blisters from trying to empty it super quick after it finishing a bowl. But that brings up an issue I'm having now and would love some feedback on, how the fuck do I stop the capsule getting "glued" in. I've tried cleaning it every bowl. Still does it. It'll let go if I press the button for a couple of seconds and warm the unit, but it's starting to really annoy me...

chililvr

So, here's one for you all... Scroll back and you'll see how tepid I was on the fw8, but I've been living it cos it microdoses so well like its forebear, but I like to clear a bowl then leave it for an hour or two, then empty it. Why? Cos I literally have gotten blisters from trying to empty it super quick after it finishing a bowl. But that brings up an issue I'm having now and would love some feedback on, how the fuck do I stop the capsule getting "glued" in. I've tried cleaning it every bowl. Still does it. It'll let go if I press the button for a couple of seconds and warm the unit, but it's starting to really annoy me...
I have seen people using fine point tweezers to remove the caps. I made a little extraction gizmo out of a paper clip.

IMG-20230625-163617.jpg
Thank you for the advice! Made all the difference for me 😎

Top Bottom