Firewood Vaporizer

EarthworldTim

I've only used the FW7 but I fail to see how orientation would hamper vapor production. The air path remains the same and the ceramic bowl and material is seated stationary. From what I've seen/read the official wpa benefits seem to be ease and aesthetics.

DaVapeGuy

Good point about the load being vertical instead of horizontal. Though, do you think it negatively affects the vapor production? I’ve been using the FW8 through a J-Hook via the BB9 and haven’t noticed issues yet.
It's probably fine if you tamp it in so the load doesn't move much.

I just wanted to keep the oven area as clean as possible so I haven't ran it through hooks or glass yet unfortunately

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've only used the FW7 but I fail to see how orientation would hamper vapor production. The air path remains the same and the ceramic bowl and material is seated stationary. From what I've seen/read the official wpa benefits seem to be ease and aesthetics.

Yeah it should be fine, the benefits are also the OCD of keeping it up right though, and having the more direct simple ceramic pathway since you don't need the ceramic right angle bend of the stock mouthpiece if you are using WPA through whatever glass

Shit Snacks

Very nice, sold out now... who scooped it :)?

That design is great with the angle built in.

Hopefully he can make just a plain one without any spikes or balls for a bit cheaper :cool:

It would also be cheaper perhaps if it was entirely clear, you can hit him up for a custom or make the request that he make more of them for the next drop

Shit Snacks

Recently Marc sent out a "last call for early adopter packages" email. That indicates to me he has worked through most of the groups, but I am guessing.

Oh guess I need to follow up with him again then, never got that email, haven't heard from him since I asked to wait during group c

Last edited:

EarthworldTim

On 12/6 I received a group H email for ordering and I believe it was in stock at the link and then went out of stock? Could be wrong because he requested to be contacted for ordering. I held off since I acquired a FW7 before my turn for the 8 came up thanks to @fangorn

I would guess he's made it through the groups since it was at H and quite a few people decided to wait or skip. Just speculating to be clear.

dog walker

Hey folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. After a lot of research, I purchased a Firewood 7 a couple of years ago, and it was my daily driver until the 8 was released - I picked one up in Group C or so. As soon as I got the 8, I transitioned to solely using it and only recently picked the 7 back up. And that's why I'm posting today.

In general I am a creature of habit - in most facets of my life I find a method that works best for me and stick to it.

I love the profile of the 7 - I prefer small, simple devices every time. During the years I used it daily, I was perfectly happy with it - I tend to take small, low temperature hits over the course of the night and stay just high enough to take the edge off, and it was great for that.

When the 8 arrived, I had a great attitude and was ready to try something new. The aesthetics of the device do not suit me as much, but I trusted Mark to have made improvements over the previous design and made an immediate, total switch. I don't have issues with the battery or capsule changes; intellectually I think they are both improvements over the 7. Specifically, I work in a position that has me regularly researching battery-related fires and explosions and navigating safety recalls, and I completely understand his wanting to remove some of the risk associated with inconsistent 18650s. And I really appreciate being able to thoughtlessly raise the temperature of the vape without charring the flower - the capsules are liberating in that way. Also, as a light, recreational user, I have the time to fuss over the device and enjoy the ritual of loading and swapping capsules, and I think he implemented the capsule set beautifully.

That said, I picked up my Firewood 7 again last week. I am not a collector of anything by nature and was wondering if I should sell it - I don't need two vaporizers, and I don't need to store a very nice, unused device. I fired it up and felt immediate fondness for its size and feel in my hand. I took my first hit and felt higher than I had in months. I followed it with a second a few minutes later, must have missed the buzz confirming I'd reached the intended temp, and charred the heck out of the flower - blech. Anyway, I stuck with it for a week and got back in the swing of it and really enjoyed using it. I realize it's not unregulated, but compared to the 8 it feels like I have more control over the experience, which I enjoy.

Last night during a snow storm I was a cold walk away from the 7 and picked up the 8 out of convenience for the first time in a week and remembered that it's nice to effortlessly rely on the device to get to the intended temperature and thoughtlessly take a hit or two. My experience with the 8 is that it's a great device that takes the (very mild) edge off of the 7. I'm still not sure I need or will regularly use two devices, and I expect to receive a Morwood Toad in the first half of 2023, so I may unload one of these Firewoods at some point.

Unquestionably I prefer the size, feel, and aesthetics of the 7. The 8 is a beautiful show piece and everyone I've shared it with loves it, and loves the details of the capsule set, etc. My experience is the battery packs for the 8 are more consistent (i.e., hold a better charge, longer) than naked 18650s, but replacing my 18650s would probably address that issue. In general I like the increased attention needed to use the 7, but effortless use makes the 8 better for sharing with new users.

I doubt this post contributes much to the conversation - I feel like I'm the most inexperienced and casual user here - but I wanted to chime in with my experience in case it helps anyone in the future. These forums have been so helpful, and I appreciate the work y'all put into them.

Zagala

Hey folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. After a lot of research, I purchased a Firewood 7 a couple of years ago, and it was my daily driver until the 8 was released - I picked one up in Group C or so. As soon as I got the 8, I transitioned to solely using it and only recently picked the 7 back up. And that's why I'm posting today.

In general I am a creature of habit - in most facets of my life I find a method that works best for me and stick to it.

I love the profile of the 7 - I prefer small, simple devices every time. During the years I used it daily, I was perfectly happy with it - I tend to take small, low temperature hits over the course of the night and stay just high enough to take the edge off, and it was great for that.

When the 8 arrived, I had a great attitude and was ready to try something new. The aesthetics of the device do not suit me as much, but I trusted Mark to have made improvements over the previous design and made an immediate, total switch. I don't have issues with the battery or capsule changes; intellectually I think they are both improvements over the 7. Specifically, I work in a position that has me regularly researching battery-related fires and explosions and navigating safety recalls, and I completely understand his wanting to remove some of the risk associated with inconsistent 18650s. And I really appreciate being able to thoughtlessly raise the temperature of the vape without charring the flower - the capsules are liberating in that way. Also, as a light, recreational user, I have the time to fuss over the device and enjoy the ritual of loading and swapping capsules, and I think he implemented the capsule set beautifully.

That said, I picked up my Firewood 7 again last week. I am not a collector of anything by nature and was wondering if I should sell it - I don't need two vaporizers, and I don't need to store a very nice, unused device. I fired it up and felt immediate fondness for its size and feel in my hand. I took my first hit and felt higher than I had in months. I followed it with a second a few minutes later, must have missed the buzz confirming I'd reached the intended temp, and charred the heck out of the flower - blech. Anyway, I stuck with it for a week and got back in the swing of it and really enjoyed using it. I realize it's not unregulated, but compared to the 8 it feels like I have more control over the experience, which I enjoy.

Last night during a snow storm I was a cold walk away from the 7 and picked up the 8 out of convenience for the first time in a week and remembered that it's nice to effortlessly rely on the device to get to the intended temperature and thoughtlessly take a hit or two. My experience with the 8 is that it's a great device that takes the (very mild) edge off of the 7. I'm still not sure I need or will regularly use two devices, and I expect to receive a Morwood Toad in the first half of 2023, so I may unload one of these Firewoods at some point.

Unquestionably I prefer the size, feel, and aesthetics of the 7. The 8 is a beautiful show piece and everyone I've shared it with loves it, and loves the details of the capsule set, etc. My experience is the battery packs for the 8 are more consistent (i.e., hold a better charge, longer) than naked 18650s, but replacing my 18650s would probably address that issue. In general I like the increased attention needed to use the 7, but effortless use makes the 8 better for sharing with new users.

I doubt this post contributes much to the conversation - I feel like I'm the most inexperienced and casual user here - but I wanted to chime in with my experience in case it helps anyone in the future. These forums have been so helpful, and I appreciate the work y'all put into them.
Great post👍

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Extremely helpful and thorough review. I don't have a FW8, so I like to hear comparisons to the 7.

I'm not sure I understand this part:
I really appreciate being able to thoughtlessly raise the temperature of the vape without charring the flower - the capsules are liberating in that way.

How do the removable chambers help charring? I've never combusted in my FW7, but I keep it on the regulated mode. Anyhow, I stayed away from the 8 mostly due to the capsules so I am curious about their benefits.

Thanks!

dog walker

How do the removable chambers help charring? I've never combusted in my FW7, but I keep it on the regulated mode. Anyhow, I stayed away from the 8 mostly due to the capsules so I am curious about their benefits.

It's possible I'm not describing this well, but in my experience, the flower being more surrounded by ceramic protects it from fluctuations in temperature. This may be as much a result of the shape of the chamber of the 7 vs. the capsules (wide and shallow vs. taller and more narrow). Regardless, I have found it takes a little longer (say two sessions in rapid succession) to get the 8 as hot as I want it sometimes (without overheating due to a higher temperature preset). You noted you are curious about the benefits of the capsules, and I guess that is one if slow, consistent heat appeals to you.

Other advantages might be the ability to preload and quickly swap capsules if you have multiple users who present a need for a second capsule, either for quantity or to incorporate another strain. And I do think there is a true advantage for someone who wants to extend the loading/preloading ritual a bit - it may not be a practical concern, but I find the act of cleaning and loading to help me transition out of the bustle of my day.

And my experience with the 7 is similar to yours - I did not have combustion issues with the 7 until I got lazy about it after using the other device for a while (so much so that I was very surprised when it happened). Both are great at what they do and, ultimately, very similar. I was actually surprised this week to notice such variation in usage - two weeks ago I would have told you they were practically interchangeable but for their appearance and feel in my hand.

I hope that explanation is clearer. Feel free to ask for further clarification if I can be helpful.

Shit Snacks

It's possible I'm not describing this well, but in my experience, the flower being more surrounded by ceramic protects it from fluctuations in temperature. This may be as much a result of the shape of the chamber of the 7 vs. the capsules (wide and shallow vs. taller and more narrow). Regardless, I have found it takes a little longer (say two sessions in rapid succession) to get the 8 as hot as I want it sometimes (without overheating due to a higher temperature preset). You noted you are curious about the benefits of the capsules, and I guess that is one if slow, consistent heat appeals to you.

Other advantages might be the ability to preload and quickly swap capsules if you have multiple users who present a need for a second capsule, either for quantity or to incorporate another strain. And I do think there is a true advantage for someone who wants to extend the loading/preloading ritual a bit - it may not be a practical concern, but I find the act of cleaning and loading to help me transition out of the bustle of my day.

And my experience with the 7 is similar to yours - I did not have combustion issues with the 7 until I got lazy about it after using the other device for a while (so much so that I was very surprised when it happened). Both are great at what they do and, ultimately, very similar. I was actually surprised this week to notice such variation in usage - two weeks ago I would have told you they were practically interchangeable but for their appearance and feel in my hand.

I hope that explanation is clearer. Feel free to ask for further clarification if I can be helpful.

Yes, great, I do find it easy to get little scorch bits in an FW7 bowl with higher settings longer hits from the conduction... Supposedly FW8 oven and chamber setup is a bit more convection biased with the greater airflow too? So that also seems to line up with what you're saying :tup:

Not Invented Here

When I put down one of the firewoods (i have a 7 and 8) for any chunk of time and come back to it, I appreciate the hell out of the differences and every single time I think the fresh one must be a little bit better than the one I was using, so that must mean I can't tell if I have a preference for either. Like I was using the fw7 a bit these past two weeks and the fw8 almost not at all, but I read the good discussion on here and picked up the 8 again and I was like "holy shit this is awesome!"

So yeah that's my two cents, I think I'm particularly biased toward liking the dark coffee-ground color avb and I think I tend to enjoy conduction maybe more than some vaporistadors out there so factor that into your appraisal of my appraisals. The fw8 is definitely more convection but compared to like, the tinymight, it has significant conduction notes.

final thought, the noise my fw8 makes when heating up is beautiful. Like a soulful tender tinkling of watch-springs ticking into place or the gentle creaking of a warming hearth-mantel.

dog walker

When I put down one of the firewoods (i have a 7 and 8) for any chunk of time and come back to it, I appreciate the hell out of the differences and every single time I think the fresh one must be a little bit better than the one I was using, so that must mean I can't tell if I have a preference for either. Like I was using the fw7 a bit these past two weeks and the fw8 almost not at all, but I read the good discussion on here and picked up the 8 again and I was like "holy shit this is awesome!"

This is the experience I was trying to describe - I agree with all of this. And I also love the sound both make, but I'll listen for the differences between the two this week.

ThreeThreeThree

Hello all,

I apologize if this is already common knowledge to some, but I wanted to share my optimal capsule packing technique for the Firewood 8. Coming from several convection heavy vapes, I realized I had to improve my packing technique to optimize the hybrid nature of the Firewood. Loose packs like I am used to for the sticky bricks or Tinymight left much to be desired. I went to the opposite extreme and packed the capsules so tightly that I it felt like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. The actual vapor from this technique was much better and I noticed the pronounced effects of conduction as well as darker avb around the edges. I realized that I wanted to find the best of both worlds. I wanted a looser restricted draw, but with the heavier conduction effects on full display.

What I've found is that by packing the bowl as tightly as possible with a hole in the center, the Firewood 8 enters an echelon of its own. Making no changes to device settings and session style, my avb is coming out black and evenly cooked through. It's very satisfying to see. Here are the steps I use for anyone interested in recreating my technique.

I use two additional tools. The first is a tamper. I use the wooden nub on the Firewood 8 wooden capsule holder. The second tool is a poker. I think a toothpick would be fine. I'm using a tiny metal poker tool.

I start by loading the capsule to the top, pressing down tightly with my tamp and repeating until I have loaded my desired amount. By the end of this step, the flower is packed so tightly that I can hold the capsule upside down and shake without dislodging its contents. I then use my poker tool to create a hole in the center that reaches all the way down to the screen. Any flower that gets displaced and cannot fit in the capsule gets scraped off. I then pack down to make everything tight again. After pushing down, I then use my tool to widen the hole back up. I repeat the process of pushing from the center of the hole outwards, brushing anything that no longer fits, and pressing my flower tightly. By the end, my capsule has a roughly 3 MM hole down the center. If I look through the hole, I can see the screen on the other side. The ring of flower on the outside is so tight that I can hold my capsule upside down without any flower coming out. I'm now ready to drop the capsule into the Firewood (mess free!) and enjoy.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Hello all,

I apologize if this is already common knowledge to some, but I wanted to share my optimal capsule packing technique for the Firewood 8. Coming from several convection heavy vapes, I realized I had to improve my packing technique to optimize the hybrid nature of the Firewood. Loose packs like I am used to for the sticky bricks or Tinymight left much to be desired. I went to the opposite extreme and packed the capsules so tightly that I it felt like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. The actual vapor from this technique was much better and I noticed the pronounced effects of conduction as well as darker avb around the edges. I realized that I wanted to find the best of both worlds. I wanted a looser restricted draw, but with the heavier conduction effects on full display.

What I've found is that by packing the bowl as tightly as possible with a hole in the center, the Firewood 8 enters an echelon of its own. Making no changes to device settings and session style, my avb is coming out black and evenly cooked through. It's very satisfying to see. Here are the steps I use for anyone interested in recreating my technique.

I use two additional tools. The first is a tamper. I use the wooden nub on the Firewood 8 wooden capsule holder. The second tool is a poker. I think a toothpick would be fine. I'm using a tiny metal poker tool.

I start by loading the capsule to the top, pressing down tightly with my tamp and repeating until I have loaded my desired amount. By the end of this step, the flower is packed so tightly that I can hold the capsule upside down and shake without dislodging its contents. I then use my poker tool to create a hole in the center that reaches all the way down to the screen. Any flower that gets displaced and cannot fit in the capsule gets scraped off. I then pack down to make everything tight again. After pushing down, I then use my tool to widen the hole back up. I repeat the process of pushing from the center of the hole outwards, brushing anything that no longer fits, and pressing my flower tightly. By the end, my capsule has a roughly 3 MM hole down the center. If I look through the hole, I can see the screen on the other side. The ring of flower on the outside is so tight that I can hold my capsule upside down without any flower coming out. I'm now ready to drop the capsule into the Firewood (mess free!) and enjoy.
Nice!

I'm gonna try this tonight.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I got the email about a last chance for the early backers, I relented and ponied up the dough. I hope it doesn't take 2months to get here like my 7 did...
You and me both! Can’t wait to start testing this thing… though I didn’t wait that long for my 7 but the Toad has taught me I’m capable of waiting as long as it takes.

Arawfish,

PossumMD

You and me both! Can’t wait to start testing this thing… though I didn’t wait that long for my 7 but the Toad has taught me I’m capable of waiting as long as it takes.
Oh I hear you there, I paid for my nomad 18mths ago and it hasn't even started to made yet. I also got a p80 custom, that took 6mths. I'm well versed in patience these days!

Top Bottom