Firewood Vaporizer

PossumMD

I imagine the only wait will be mail related @PossumMD and @Arawfish . I think you will be pleasantly surprised

The more I have been using the 8, and yes, I have been packing tightly with a little howl down the middle such as @ThreeThreeThree recommends.... well the more I love it!!

For those wondering, I rate the 8 over the 7. Dig in
Oh, yeah, my delay back then was mail related. It sat in Heathrow for 3 weeks...

PossumMD,

DaVapeGuy

Surprised by all the ravings about the 8 lately.

Personally I find the 7 better than the 8 in every way.

The capsules are a step back. Having to use tweezers to get them out sucks. It's just so fiddly.

7 you just blow it out, repack, done.

Battery pack is a big step back as discussed earlier. If you want a new battery you better pony up the dough and hope that he's still making them by the time he moves on to a new device.

7 has removable 18650s, so it wins there of course.

Flavor is pretty similar IMO, maybe just more convection now.

No WPA for the 8 sucks. Even if aftermarket people make a WPA it's still not a straight shot like with the 7.

Price is quite high for the device and all the extras.

Overall I rate it below the 7 in almost every aspect.

The fact that he still has the early adopters discount available shows how many people passed on this device, likely due to any number of the above reasons.

Compared to the 7 it's a big step back. On its own it's "okay" but not worth the price, IMO of course :)

EarthworldTim

Battery pack is a big step back as discussed earlier. If you want a new battery you better pony up the dough and hope that he's still making them by the time he moves on to a new device.
Just wanted to point out that it's been established these battery packs will be the standard going forward. Whether they change a bit or there's incompatibility in the future remains to be seen but from what I've read in here I think if that happened there would be some sort of upgrade/swap option or something, sounds like marc is as accommodating as can be.

I think it goes without saying that the risk is always there for any device/repair service/parts to be discontinued etc when it comes to artisan devices especially, e.g. Lotus ☹️

Last edited:

Steel28

It was good while it lasted...sold my FW8 and replaced it with TM2 and Tetra P80 (hopefully next drop).

Let me try and list the reasons:

- Inconsistency with vapor quality. I'm pretty sure I got the technique down with various draw speeds and holding releases button. I used all three settings.
- PAIN IN THE BUTT filling those little ceramic pots. I was never looking forward doing that. Also that fucking mesh screen is a bitch to keep in place sometimes
- Resin build up: cleaning every other day
- Did I mentioned ceramic pots? lmfao.

I wish Marc all the best but damn lol

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
It was good while it lasted...sold my FW8 and replaced it with TM2 and Tetra P80 (hopefully next drop).

Let me try and list the reasons:

- Inconsistency with vapor quality. I'm pretty sure I got the technique down with various draw speeds and holding releases button. I used all three settings.
- PAIN IN THE BUTT filling those little ceramic pots. I was never looking forward doing that. Also that fucking mesh screen is a bitch to keep in place sometimes
- Resin build up: cleaning every other day
- Did I mentioned ceramic pots? lmfao.

I wish Marc all the best but damn lol
Wow, this is a wild descent from your other posts. Was it just a good honeymoon period? The capsules put me off but it seems like most folks don't mind them. I wonder how they compare to the pots in the Bowle.

Steel28

Wow, this is a wild descent from your other posts. Was it just a good honeymoon period? The capsules put me off but it seems like most folks don't mind them. I wonder how they compare to the pots in the Bowle.

You are 100% correct, I was very impressed initially during the "HM" but after was dreading filling those pots every time.

AssistedLiving

I purchased my tm after failing to get either a fw or tp80 in 2021, a year later I passed on the fw8, because of the pots & battery pack, didn't see anything that "caught my eye" in yesterday's tp80 drop, cheers!

AssistedLiving,

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
You are 100% correct, I was very impressed initially during the "HM" but after was dreading filling those pots every time.
Thanks for revisiting this. I’ve been on the fence with the email that the early adopter package is about to end (fomo is a hell of a drug). I’m still tempted as the money isn’t so important to me even if it doesn’t end up as a daily driver, but It’s nice to get some feedback from an owner outside of the honeymoon.

Steel28

Thanks for revisiting this. I’ve been on the fence with the email that the early adopter package is about to end (fomo is a hell of a drug). I’m still tempted as the money isn’t so important to me even if it doesn’t end up as a daily driver, but It’s nice to get some feedback from an owner outside of the honeymoon.
Happy to share my feedback, once again this was mine personal opinion. I hope many still like and use FW8 but it was too much fiddling for me :)

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I knew what I was getting into when I purchased, and all the points @Steel28 brought up is exactly why I waited until now. (I was batch B) and all these recent criticisms aren’t making me feel any better! I really scratch my head at all the changes Marc decided to make with this one, and I really don’t have a whole lot of faith in the 8 right now. Since I just got the shipping confirmation it looks like I’ll be giving it a fair chance to prove me wrong. The 7 is one of the best ever released and so far the 8 doesn’t seem to be anywhere close to that. I don’t remember so many people turning away from the 7 once they had them in hand like were seeing with the 8, lots of unsatisfied people.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
FWIW, I'm still loving the 8.

Of course, I still also love my 7. I do use it from time to time and will never get rid of it, but for now the 8 is my daily driver.

Unlike the folks who have been posting today, for me, the battery packs and capsules are pluses, not drawbacks. I love being able to charge without digging out my Nitecore and with the Delta 3D loading tray and a pair of tweezers I can easily load/unload the caps despite my failing hands. Plus the caps make it much easier to measure out multiple mini/micro-doses of various strains. As always, horses for courses.:)

I did try the packing method suggested by @ThreeThreeThree, but I don't think I was packing tightly enough. Couldn't get stuff to stay in place. I'll have to try again.

Of course, I still also love my 7. I do use it from time to time and will never get rid of it, but for now the 8 is my daily driver.

Unlike the folks who have been posting today, for me, the battery packs and capsules are pluses, not drawbacks. I love being able to charge without digging out my Nitecore and with the Delta 3D loading tray and a pair of tweezers I can easily load/unload the caps despite my failing hands. Plus the caps make it much easier to measure out multiple mini/micro-doses of various strains. As always, horses for courses.:)

I did try the packing method suggested by @ThreeThreeThree, but I don't think I was packing tightly enough. Couldn't get stuff to stay in place. I'll have to try again.
Thanks for your post was beginning to regret ordering one , but for similar reasons is why i did , i use my tinymights in a similar way with 3 pre packed stems with arizer caps , can i ask is shipping always so slow to scotland, ordered the 8th i think ,its not been that long i guess but had orders from EDs in less than a week and dynavap ,simmrell really quick ,
looking forward to seeing for myself ,or dreading lol
G

ThreeThreeThree

Disappointed to hear you were having trouble keeping the pack in place. Could it be a humidity thing? I keep my flower sealed with 62% humidity packs. I can definitely see it being difficult with dexterity issues. It's kind of fiddly for me, but I pre pack 4 at a time and enjoy the ritual.

I'm loving the Firewood 8, but I don't have experience with the 7, so I don't really have a point of comparison. It does something slightly different than my other devices, and I find it wonderfully convenient outside of the preparation ritual. In principle, I dislike non-swappable 18650's, but I can't help but admire the craftmanship and ingenuity of the 8's battery packs. IMO, they just need a way for the end user to swap out the battery (maybe a latch or something like that) and I would be enthusiastically on board.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Disappointed to hear you were having trouble keeping the pack in place. Could it be a humidity thing? I keep my flower sealed with 62% humidity packs. I can definitely see it being difficult with dexterity issues. It's kind of fiddly for me, but I pre pack 4 at a time and enjoy the ritual.
I use humidity packs as well. I think the issue is that I don't pack my caps very full at all. So there's a lot more literal wiggle room in there when I try to poke the hole. We'll see what happens tonight.

I use humidity packs as well. I think the issue is that I don't pack my caps very full at all. So there's a lot more literal wiggle room in there when I try to poke the hole. We'll see what happens tonight.
I want to try it so badly but I am scared to combust lol

I love this thing tho, as soon as I get another battery pack to cycle in when I run out of juice, the experience will be that much more elevated

Buzzkill361

Good Vibes Tribe
Do you mean it doesn't pass over a PCB/electronics? If so, it is isolated. Airflow passes through vents in the side of the device into a ceramic chamber composed of two parts (vented lid and capsule oven), then through glass to you.
Thank you that was the info I was looking for.

Buzzkill361,
Reactions: diablitos

AssistedLiving

I've had a few email conversations with marc over the years, and what I got from his answers to my questions was that user safety, was the top priority, quickly followed by quality of materials & workmanship. I consider myself fortunate to have met so many honest & talented craftsman here, cheers!

Last edited:

Ernielicous

Love my fw8. have the 7 also and have picked it up here and there since getting the 8 but the 8 has become my daily when I'm out and about. Definitely more convection I have mine preset to the 3 hottest temps, sometimes I pack the bowls tight but sometimes I just keep them loose. I've leaned towards getting this thing going with cigar puffs until I see vapor, then I go at it seriously and it chugs vapor like crazy. Upgraded the other day to a nice goodvibesboro stem & the experience has been pleasantly enhanced further. The capsules are a little tight, but I've managed to take them out with my fingers plenty of times. Also if you pack the bowls tight, like tamping it with the nub on the capsules holder, you could always just flip it upside down.

Vaporware

I haven’t looked closely enough at the FW8 design to know, but are we sure the air intakes are isolated from the electronics?

I hope they are, but with the FW7 Marc didn’t seem too worried about it. The main air intakes there are also the holes on the side, but the electronics compartment is not completed sealed off so a small amount of air can also come in from there before it hits the heater.

It concerns me a little, but it didn’t stop me from using the FW7 quite a bit and I really doubt that it’s hurting us more than sitting next to a computer with fans that blow a lot of air over hot electronics…:shrug:

I just want people to have the most accurate information so they can choose whether or not to worry about it.

Personally I’ve been using my unregulated portable with no electronics to worry about since I got it, but I still plan to use my FW7. It’s great too! :)

Top Bottom