Firewood Vaporizer

someTooL

Thanks for postings reference pic of the capsule holder. Even a loaded one which brings me to my question. How do you get a loaded capsule out of the holder?

I can get unloaded out by just flipping it over and dumping. Have not figured out how to get a loaded capsule out. Been using the delta 3d tray to carry loaded.

Seems to me a small paper clip sized hole on the bottom would work. Carry a paper clip and just push it up. But no hole, no push.

diablitos

Thanks for postings reference pic of the capsule holder. Even a loaded one which brings me to my question. How do you get a loaded capsule out of the holder?

I can get unloaded out by just flipping it over and dumping. Have not figured out how to get a loaded capsule out. Been using the delta 3d tray to carry loaded.

Seems to me a small paper clip sized hole on the bottom would work. Carry a paper clip and just push it up. But no hole, no push.
I just flick the bottom of the holder under the capsule I want to remove and it pops up… I suppose I tamp tight enough that nothing comes loose, so it’s been easy sailing in that regard

They are not traditional capsules, it is like removable chambers, you have to use it, it's the same size as before with FW7, that's the benefit, they can be fully cleaned and swappable on the go... However you cannot do it while hot as easily without a tweezer probably but if you let it cool enough that it's not too hot to touch and doesn't stick then could be okay... Not enough people really have it, if you get it you could compare to the TM and decide and let more people know and resell it if you don't like it... I would say it's worth getting the bundle so you can try the spare chambers in the case and spare battery is a good idea always... Nice and unique, but you certainly don't need it so you could just get nothing and wait for FW9!
Screenshot-20221214-020602.png

Good Vibes Boro just got his and will be able to make proper stems soon enough...
Thanks ,yeah i know dont need it ,do any of us but VAS and Christmas when you live alone plus love my vapes
,,,its been the worst year losing my boy so cheering up needed ,,,, i waited on the 7 but never got one then on the list for this ,,,,
dont mind waiting on the 9 but that might out live me with my health plus not good at the selling too stressful ,
i do like it ,shapes similar or looks it to my dobby ive been using more lately but with a battery
id use it beside my TMs ,,,,,G
G

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks ,yeah i know dont need it ,do any of us but VAS and Christmas when you live alone plus love my vapes
,,,its been the worst year losing my boy so cheering up needed ,,,, i waited on the 7 but never got one then on the list for this ,,,,
dont mind waiting on the 9 but that might out live me with my health plus not good at the selling too stressful ,
i do like it ,shapes similar or looks it to my dobby ive been using more lately but with a battery
id use it beside my TMs ,,,,,G
G

Based on everything I do think you will enjoy it most likely, it would probably bring some cheer for you too, for the most part at least!

EarthworldTim

FW8 charge times. I don't want to beat a dead horse but I do want to share my "research". So I fully cycled my 2 batteries 3 times. Charged till the light went off, using the charger in the box, and then used the batteries until, the FW8 vibed to indicate battery dead. I did this three times. The fourth time I put a video camera on the battery. The green light went off after recording for 4 hours 29 minutes and 48 seconds (4:29:48). Incidentally, this is probably the worst movie ever made.

Now that the batteries are fully cycled I'll probably charge them after one or two uses instead of winding them all the way down... usually. But this charge time sucks. I'm hoping this isn't part of Marc's plan to make a "quick-charger" like Ghost did, but this charge time just seems unacceptable.

Can anyone verify a faster charge time, starting from a fully discharged battery?
I believe my Nitecore charger takes roughly the same amount of time on a mostly to completely dead P28A and I think it has .5A charge current. I have an Xtar portable charger that can cut the charge time in half roughly(1-1.8A rate I believe) but I only use that for travel because it's just easier to have an extra battery or two at home. For battery health and longevity a slower charge is preferable judging by what I've read from multiple sources. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if the (battery)pack hardware was regulating to ensure low current for the charge since the purpose is safety.

Shit Snacks

Do we know if it is still a P26A in there, or is it now a P28A? Though not much difference

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

floribud

Do we know if it is still a P26A in there, or is it now a P28A? Though not much difference
They must be P28s since Marc says the 8 comes with 2800 mah batteries (p26 is 2600mah). I'm getting around 5 bowls per charge. But it's hard to say, I haven't gotten into a routine of how I like to use this thing yet... still experimenting with temps and technique.

dont want to miss it this time but see mixed reports ? Is it as good as my TMs ? Which are my daily drivers along with mvs and my wee Dobby v2 ,anyway can i ask is it even as good as my tm2 or even my 1 s ?
do you need to use it with the capsules ?or can it be used without if not how much do they hold ?
and if not can they be cleaned /removed easy on the go yet or are tweezer s a must ,
what i mean is it it easy to burn yourself ,or is it pretty safe

Don't know if it's better than a TM, since I don't have one. I don't think it's better than my SplinterZ with a Vigreux stem by Phineas. I think the FW8 colors the taste of the herb at bit. There's a similar "flavor" in the 7. Not sure if its the wood or ceramic that adds that.

Capsules are integral to the device as others have already mentioned. The heater chamber has a sort of funnel of spiraled wire that the capsules drop into. If you put weed in the directly you'd have a bunch of charing and probably combustion. It can be a bit difficult to get them out and to get them in. You may have to turn upside down and take to get the capsule out. The good news is you can just blow into the stem to eject the weed first, if you're outside. If you turn it upside down and blow into there's a risk that the capsule will fall out ... so don't turn it upside down over a toilet or outside a moving car window. To get them in, you drop them onto the spiraled heater wire funnel. But most of the time for me, it doesn't drop in smoothly so I have to fidget with it a bit.

Is it easy to fill the capsule? Yes, pretty much just like this how to fill a Ghost MV1 crucible ... from Sneaky Pete. However you can leave it lightly packed with about .1g or press down and get maybe .25 in there if you like. The hybrid heating system will work well either way. However once the capsule are hot, watch out, they stay hot for quite a while in the insulated chamber.

On the positive side it roasts very evenly, even at high temps. It produces similar vapor to a Ghost, but it's stays decent way beyond the first draw. You can clear a bowl on high temps in about 2 draws. But the internal cooling is not as good as the Ghost's heatsink, so I need external cooling (glass) when going over 400, unless I take 3-4 second draws.

Shit Snacks

They must be P28s since Marc says the 8 comes with 2800 mah batteries (p26 is 2600mah). I'm getting around 5 bowls per charge. But it's hard to say, I haven't gotten into a routine of how I like to use this thing yet... still experimenting with temps and technique.

Yeah and that is an estimate because the p28 could be lower in reality... If you are using a battery fully until it is drained, that makes sense why it would take a long time to charge, maybe you should start recharging a bowl earlier??

Don't know if it's better than a TM, since I don't have one. I don't think it's better than my SplinterZ with a Vigreux stem by Phineas. I think the FW8 colors the taste of the herb at bit. There's a similar "flavor" in the 7. Not sure if its the wood or ceramic that adds that.

They are really two different to compare, TM and Splinter are glass stem-based pure convection, the ceramic can be very pure with the glass path, but you do have it encased in walnut wood that takes a bit of time to break in as does the cherry chamber perhaps...

On the positive side it roasts very evenly, even at high temps. It produces similar vapor to a Ghost, but it's stays decent way beyond the first draw. You can clear a bowl on high temps in about 2 draws. But the internal cooling is not as good as the Ghost's heatsink, so I need external cooling (glass) when going over 400, unless I take 3-4 second draws.

Now that is an interesting comparison, wouldn't have thought of it but it makes sense!

Based on everything I do think you will enjoy it most likely, it would probably bring some cheer for you too, for the most part at least!
Thanks pal always there …think since it’s Christmas your Good shit snack’s always looks out …
FC should appreciate this guy..

Capsules are integral to the device as others have already mentioned. The heater chamber has a sort of funnel of spiraled wire that the capsules drop into. If you put weed in the directly you'd have a bunch of charing and probably combustion. It can be a bit difficult to get them out and to get them in. You may have to turn upside down and take to get the capsule out. The good news is you can just blow into the stem to eject the weed first, if you're outside. If you turn it upside down and blow into there's a risk that the capsule will fall out ... so don't turn it upside down over a toilet or outside a moving car window. To get them in, you drop them onto the spiraled heater wire funnel. But most of the time for me, it doesn't drop in smoothly so I have to fidget with it a bit.

Is it easy to fill the capsule? Yes, pretty much just like this how to fill a Ghost MV1 crucible ... from Sneaky Pete. However you can leave it lightly packed with about .1g or press down and get maybe .25 in there if you like. The hybrid heating system will work well either way. However once the capsule are hot, watch out, they stay hot for quite a while in the insulated chamber.

and you my friend my god what a time consuming reply ….appreciate ,

Dreadvik

Yay my unit just landed! Anyone got any pics of video using an alternative stem? Just waiting for the charger. Its pretty cute! Hard to tell size in pics. My ocd wishes the battery met flush with the top where stem pops out but its all very well made. The little caddy is sweet!

Can't wait to work on my workflow to load and empty :)

Zagala

Yay my unit just landed! Anyone got any pics of video using an alternative stem? Just waiting for the charger. Its pretty cute! Hard to tell size in pics. My ocd wishes the battery met flush with the top where stem pops out but its all very well made. The little caddy is sweet!

Can't wait to work on my workflow to load and empty :)
I don’t have pics but I have been able to use a walnut stem that OWW made for me and I am also using the Simrell MVS. The adapter that comes with it works just like the one for the FW7 for me, with it I think I should be able to make it work with all the alternative stems I have used with the FW7, but for now only the two I mentioned.

Actually I found pics, I forgot that I use the OWW glass WPA as well.
Edit - I use a Simrell intercooler in the walnut stem.

games-loaves0t

I don’t have pics but I have been able to use a walnut stem that OWW made for me and I am also using the Simrell MVS. The adapter that comes with it works just like the one for the FW7 for me, with it I think I should be able to make it work with all the alternative stems I have used with the FW7, but for now only the two I mentioned.

Actually I found pics, I forgot that I use the OWW glass WPA as well.
Edit - I use a Simrell intercooler in the walnut stem.
The WPA from O'Connell Woodworks looks amazing. I checked on OWW's website and didn't see it. How long ago did you get it? I'd enjoy getting a WPA for my FW8.

games-loaves0t,

Zagala

I promised to share impressions on the FW8. Below is what I can say with very limited use so far.

I am very happy that I added the FW8 to my vaping arsenal. To me, after spending time with it, i view it as a device with details that may remind the FW7 but it is a different device in many ways, not better and not an underperforming one either, just different; a new iteration.

I have already mentioned in previous posts how I was impressed by the patchwork design, and I am still seeing various forms, objects through the intricate connections between the pieces that make the FW8- Marc is highly skilled and that shows in the tiny details in each of these FW8, it is pretty impressive to me, each time I look at mine closer. And if you have several batteries, you have a different look each time you change batteries due to the variation in the wood grain. And if you had used other stems/mouthpieces with your FW7 you may be able to use them with the FW8 thanks to the glass adapter similar to the FW7 one!

“It uses hybrid convection/conduction heating to evenly heat your botanicals without the need to stir”. That is part of how it is described in the Firewood website, I have verified that and the heating is very efficient, regardless of the power level in my experience. I can get strong hits and very tasty too, easy huge clouds without really looking for that. I find that I can finish a bowl in one, two or more hits with some level of flavour till the end.
I initially replicated my FW7 power level settings - 310, 340, 370, and did not like the results and changed almost right away to the settings I have been using since with my FW8. Now I think that maybe it was just that I was adjusting technique, and my new settings are not that different - 320, 340, 360.

I have not used it a lot but I have spent some evenings and weekends with it along with the FW7, which I enjoy better now. At each power level I like to count to 8 - a recommendation from my early reading of this thread, it works for me, then I pull heat slowly and steadily with still the button on but just for another count to 8, and I continue to pull slowly while waiting for the buzz. This way I am inhaling just enough to fill my not so strong lungs. I stick to this to avoid coughing for taking too much vapour than I can handle if I stay on the button too long. I use this technique now with both of these powerful hard hitters, the FW7 and the FW8.

A couple of potential challenges though.
If you only have one battery - yes they are not inexpensive - and the FW8 is your only device, once you get the need recharging buzzes you are there for a long wait until the battery is fully charged again! I got the early adopter package and had two batteries but I sent one back to Marc for repair - green light staying on after full charge - and yesterday I had to take another device and wait for my remaining battery to charge before I could use the FW8 again.

While I have been successful for over 90% of the time in loading the FW8 by just aiming and dropping the tightly packed capsule in the oven, I can see this being not that easy for some. To unload I jut drop the capsules on a piece of paper and with tweezers to hold them while hot I clean them right away after I finish vaping. I can see myself forgetting to do this inevitably in the future though. So far a minor inconvenience to me compared to the inconvenience of the only battery needing recharging.

In concluding, for me personally I find it is really easy to use and obtain the best of its performance, whether you are in for flavour or clouds, and you can get both. Airflow is good too allowing for flexible draw. I like it and enjoy it but still discovering. If anything it motivates me to use my portables more in my rotation. So, I am happy to be fortunate to have and enjoy both the FW7 and the FW8.

Last edited:

jjvapes

I just wanted to also put my initial thoughts on the FW8 here. I bought the FW7 after a suggestion from an FC'er and I was happy enough with it to get the next iteration. I also hadn't bought any vapes this year; so though this would be a nice one to try. I was added to Group G in the summer; and was provided a chance to order during black friday; and received the vape about a week before Christmas. I did order the early adopter package (mainly for the additional battery; but the extra capsules and charger are definitely appreciated. Ordering was also very easy

Upon arrival I put all my other vapes away to focus on this device. After some trial and error; I determined that the best temperature (for my use case) was the third preset; which creates a lot of vapor; and allows me to clear the bowl in 4-5 inhales.

Capsules - the ability to have these pre-loaded to go is fantastic; and the case they come in (and the battery compartment case as well); are true works of art (they are simple but beautiful). When the time comes to change the capsule; I have taken the suggestions offered in this threat and have used tweezers to remove and replace the bowls. It's also possible to dump the capsule out but I prefer using tweezers (and emptying while hot).

I have found the batteries to be ok. Although the non-user replacement will probably be an issue in the future; it will be interesting to see if future FW devices have the same battery shape to allow the batteries to be swapped between devices.

Overall, I'm happy with the vape although I've only been using it for about two weeks. One thing I will need to get is a WPA so that I can use this through a J-hook for additional cooling.

FatOldEnt

Is anyone familiar with the Firewood 4's electronics? Is it possible to remove the bottom or somehow access the electronics to service the 4? Or maybe reset it?

I've been using my FW4 almost daily since buying it new, when it was first released. It seems that it might've finally given up the ghost. I put in a fully charged battery and received 5 buzzes, clicked the button 4 times and received 4 buzzes back, but the heater didn't activate when I started to inhale. I tried the other 4 fully charged batteries I have but the heater fails to come on.

Is there any way to troubleshoot what the issue is? I haven't dropped it and clean out the oven chamber gently with a dry Q-Tip every few sessions so I'm at a loss as to why it suddenly stopped heating.

Vaporware

I’m not familiar with the 4, but unless a new battery works I would contact Marc and hopefully he can help you!

Vaporware,
Reactions: Grass Yes

games-loaves0t

One thing I will need to get is a WPA so that I can use this through a J-hook for additional cooling.

I’ve purchased a couple of Dynavap WPAs, and I’ve found one on sale at Planet of the Vapes that works well (link below).

games-loaves0t,

jjvapes

I’ve purchased a couple of Dynavap WPAs, and I’ve found one on sale at Planet of the Vapes that works well (link below).

Thanks, but does this fit the FW8? Or do you use the assembly from the FW7 to make it fit?

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Is anyone familiar with the Firewood 4's electronics? Is it possible to remove the bottom or somehow access the electronics to service the 4? Or maybe reset it?

I've been using my FW4 almost daily since buying it new, when it was first released. It seems that it might've finally given up the ghost. I put in a fully charged battery and received 5 buzzes, clicked the button 4 times and received 4 buzzes back, but the heater didn't activate when I started to inhale. I tried the other 4 fully charged batteries I have but the heater fails to come on.

Is there any way to troubleshoot what the issue is? I haven't dropped it and clean out the oven chamber gently with a dry Q-Tip every few sessions so I'm at a loss as to why it suddenly stopped heating.
Soon after I got my FW4 I dropped it (wasn't even stoned at the time:doh:) and the bottom plate fell off. I sent it back to Marc and he repaired it good as new.

So the bottom can come off but I don't know if it can be done without risking serious damage.

I agree with @Vaporware. Contact Marc. He'll take care of you.

DaVapeGuy

The problem is there's no WPA for the fw8 like fw7, so if you use the bb9 as a WPA the load will be vertical instead of horizontal.

Hopefully he releases one or a third party makes a real WPA for it

games-loaves0t

The problem is there's no WPA for the fw8 like fw7, so if you use the bb9 as a WPA the load will be vertical instead of horizontal.

Hopefully he releases one or a third party makes a real WPA for it
Good point about the load being vertical instead of horizontal. Though, do you think it negatively affects the vapor production? I’ve been using the FW8 through a J-Hook via the BB9 and haven’t noticed issues yet.

games-loaves0t,
Reactions: DaVapeGuy
Top Bottom