Firewood Vaporizer

seki

Thanks for the reassurance, @Shit Snacks! I'm making a bit of a mess of my unit so far:
fw-reclaim.jpg

It looks like with my direct draw configuration in particular, the removal of the mouthpiece section is causing some smearing of the reclaim on to the wood. I don't think this should be an issue with regular use, but I can see it causing pieces to stick together if not cleaned before storing long term or potentially even during an extended period of non-use.

Speaking of direct draw, I had to do it for science! :science: Plus I wanted to see if it provided additional cooling:
fw7-wpatest.jpg

It's a little awkward but not uncomfortable, I ended up using it by holding the FW vertically, and pressing the button with my right thumb. It felt sort of pipe-ish.

Because of the multi-joint compatibility of the BB9, I had to jam it in there pretty firmly. It did cool the vapour significantly, and the larger diameter of the mouthpiece helped a good deal with airflow. No uncomfortable heat to speak of. The bottom of the stem at the joint was hot to the touch. The mouth end was warm, but not uncomfortable. I think if I want to do direct draw at home, I'll most likely go in this direction. A little too unwieldy and awkward for on the go though.

The straight stem was not as effective. There was a harshness to the vapour that wasn't there with the BB9, and I found the vapour to be uncomfortably hot, strangely even more so than with the stock stem. The stem overall was much hotter than the BB9 especially towards my lips. I think a BB9 or something similar with a 14mm joint and cooling features like one of the MistVape stems are a must if you want to use this way.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have the same doubt. In terms of steam production, do you think there is much difference? I currently use crafty and vapcap, I like powerful vaporizers; do you think the FW7 produces as many clouds as the TM without producing extremely hot steam?

I'm also concerned about customs issues, I'm from Spain; How about shipments to Europe?

I don't understand why there is so much hype around TM and so little is said about this vaporizer

Hype usually follows a brand new device, which is what the TM is as opposed to the FW7, much more fanfare and totally different situations really... Part of it is also that every year there's a new version of this vaporizer!

Pretty sure the person who posted about the TM in here does not even have one, nor do they have an FW7?? So I don't think they can help you, but I can tell you that they are both great at producing high quality vapor, though they are of course different as they are using completely different technology... So yes there is a difference in "steam" production, but neither has any issue doing so!

The firewood is indeed a powerful vaporizer, produces good clouds and great taste... Counting clouds makes no sense between units, while any vapor can get quite hot and harsh depending on your settings and usage... This will work more in a similar way to your crafty, but on demand as opposed to session style, much more convenient than the vapcap for me and still quite capable!

If you want more direct comparisons, you should post in ask FC, since its not really appropriate to discuss different vapes much in another vape's threads, so I don't want to go any deeper into discussing these other vapes than I already have here?

Thanks for the reassurance, @Shit Snacks! I'm making a bit of a mess of my unit so far:

It looks like with my direct draw configuration in particular, the removal of the mouthpiece section is causing some smearing of the reclaim on to the wood. I don't think this should be an issue with regular use, but I can see it causing pieces to stick together if not cleaned before storing long term or potentially even during an extended period of non-use.

Speaking of direct draw, I had to do it for science! :science: Plus I wanted to see if it provided additional cooling:

It's a little awkward but not uncomfortable, I ended up using it by holding the FW vertically, and pressing the button with my right thumb. It felt sort of pipe-ish.

Because of the multi-joint compatibility of the BB9, I had to jam it in there pretty firmly. It did cool the vapour significantly, and the larger diameter of the mouthpiece helped a good deal with airflow. No uncomfortable heat to speak of. The bottom of the stem at the joint was hot to the touch. The mouth end was warm, but not uncomfortable. I think if I want to do direct draw at home, I'll most likely go in this direction. A little too unwieldy and awkward for on the go though.

The straight stem was not as effective. There was a harshness to the vapour that wasn't there with the BB9, and I found the vapour to be uncomfortably hot, strangely even more so than with the stock stem. The stem overall was much hotter than the BB9 especially towards my lips. I think a BB9 or something similar with a 14mm joint and cooling features like one of the MistVape stems are a must if you want to use this way.

Oh yeah, I imagine you have been using it upright a lot? So the oven is sideways? And or maybe you are holding the button down longer without drawing? Longer preheats? I am just thinking that if you are making vapor it has to condense somewhere, I prefer to inhale it all directly (which may be easier with the wpa setup I use?... or possibly you have just run through many more bowls than I... Since I only used the standard mouthpiece a few times, and I'm not removing the wpa at all anymore lol)

Nice with the stems, I tried a more direct set up as well with this custom Mist stem:
IMG-20200901-112903.jpg

But it was actually much more noticeably hot and harsh, than my go to setups below with more of a bend... 340 was more fine, so I milked that for a long time, but 380 was tough... I should try with a longer straight stem though, and I do have a shorter beaded missed stem as well... Also yeah not very ergonomic to hold, I wanted to hold it as you described (actually reminds me of the hammer vape that way!) but I think the WPA needs to be thinner and more curved on the side near the button to be comfortable...

This one is pretty nice, the mini j hook from Lamart (not sure they sell it anymore, at least with female connection, right now they have one with a male connection) comfortable little pinched mouthpiece, moderate cooling and decent to hold:
IMG-20200820-201256.jpg

But yeah, using my custom cooler from Oregon Glass Blower has been my go-to with the Firewood7, good cooling with the right angle bend as the spikes and length help too, decent ergonomics although I can really only use it in this position (far from my deal, but that is more the fault of the button placement and wpa ergo lacking) Another really nice thing about using this mouthpiece, is how I can watch the vapor filling as it hits the right angle like a little cloud chamber (you can also see it flowing through the male to male adapter)

IMG-20200822-164158.jpg

I actually tried doing a little video, but the lighting is pretty poor to see the vapor well, while I have no idea how to upload, so all you get is me talking about it, sorry! lol

vapormachina

I like how it sounds.

Regarding the heater, would you say that the air path is completely ceramic apart from the screens or are there heated elements of stainless steel? is the air heating element completely ceramic?

I have a dynavap BB9 at home, would like to try it:D:D

vapormachina,

Shit Snacks

I like how it sounds.

Regarding the heater, would you say that the air path is completely ceramic apart from the screens or are there heated elements of stainless steel? is the air heating element completely ceramic?

I have a dynavap BB9 at home, would like to try it:D:D

I am not sure if there is a metal heating element, that heats the ceramic chamber, but the air path pulls fresh air in through the wooden holes in through the ceramic holes through the herb in the ceramic oven through a steel mesh screen and then with the standard mouthpiece it hits the ceramic plate at a right angle bending into the glass tube, with the WPA it goes through a ceramic tube to connect to your 14 mm male to male adapter... So pretty much just a ceramic and glass air/vapor path with a little bit of wood and steel (presumably if there is a metal heater around the ceramic oven it is steel?)

vapormachina

I am not sure if there is a metal heating element, that heats the ceramic chamber, but the air path pulls fresh air in through the wooden holes in through the ceramic holes through the herb in the ceramic oven through a steel mesh screen and then with the standard mouthpiece it hits the ceramic plate at a right angle bending into the glass tube, with the WPA it goes through a ceramic tube to connect to your 14 mm male to male adapter... So pretty much just a ceramic and glass air/vapor path with a little bit of wood and steel (presumably if there is a metal heater around the ceramic oven it is steel?)

Maybe the heating element is embedded in the ceramic itself as in other vaporizers, it looks like a pretty clean design

I have been reviewing the little information on the internet about these vapes and in previous models it seems that they have made an effort to make an electronics well separated from the air path and using heating elements of large size and security. I've never owned a Firewood before but this manufacturer inspires a lot of confidence

I'm curious to see the power and how that MP works at high temperatures; I am eager to watch Troy's review, I already have my finger on the trigger, I hope it is available soon!

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
Glad to see so much activity in this thread :clap:

My unit arrived a week ago (I believe I was one of the first orders, but being in Europe it took a bit longer).

Others have already said how good this thing is, so I won’t bog the thread down with another essay.

I’ll just say it’s the best portable I’ve used and that I haven’t used anything else since (outside of side by side testing some of my collection against the 7).

It’s so small, looks (and feels!) so good and produces thick vapour at any temperature so easily. It’s all so easy that it actually makes vaping..fun? (at least that’s my excuse for nearly burning through a whole Oz in this thing in under a week :lol:)

Although I’ve been monitoring my usage and experience (to get Marc some useful feedback), I haven’t really been able to find any faults to speak of. I guess this is the advantage of generations of experience, combined with Marc’s ridiculous attention to detail and customer feedback.

For the benefit of anyone ordering from Europe, it only took 10 days from notice of shipping for it to arrive (and at least a couple of those days were spent chilling at customs).

I should also mention that I was stung with a $65 customs fee. This hurt, but the pain quickly subsided once I had the thing in my hands and started using it :). Thinking on it, I’d happily have paid around 300$ for the craft and performance on offer here, so even with the fee it was still a bargain in my eyes.

I’m sure I’ve rambled enough now anyway:myday:, good luck to you all!

p.s. if you bought an unfinished unit like I did, do it some justice! Marc does a great job finishing even the unfinished units, so you don’t really need to do additional sanding. I just buttered mine up with my usual wax/oil treatment and it looks amazing (will have some pictures up soon).

NOLOGO

edit: I quoted @TastyCakeWasTasty saying it's the best portable they've ever used, but I can't seem to add the quote here...

could you please tell us what portables you've used, so we have a frame of reference? tia

NOLOGO,
Reactions: Temple

PossumMD

Well, they're up on the site but I can't buy one and I'm in Australia and can't sort it for another 4hrs. God. Damn.

PossumMD,

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
edit: I quoted @TastyCakeWasTasty saying it's the best portable they've ever used, but I can't seem to add the quote here...

could you please tell us what portables you've used, so we have a frame of reference? tia
Recently Tubo, FW6, a few Dynavaps, Milaana, Grasshopper (my previous favourite), Splinter Z and Tinymight (briefly)

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
Better than the Tubo? Can you expound on exactly why you feel this way?
FW7 just fits me better.

Performance wise they taste and feel different, but are both potent and give me ABV as dark as I like (though the 7 does it without stirring).

The 7 gets bonus points for:
• better form factor/actually being pocketable
• better battery life (4-5 full bowls vs maybe 2 on the Tubo)
• streamlined interface (no screen/lights or small buttons)
• no ‘device too hot’ messages
• easier vapour on a cold load (no cigar puffs or huffing to warm up the bowl, just hold the button and let the heat soak)
• eliminating drama of hotspots/basket screens/crumbs on the heater/stirring/MilaanaCoolingMouthpieceFallingOffMyLapAndSmashingMoreThanOnce :lol:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Better than the Tubo? Can you expound on exactly why you feel this way?
• no ‘device too hot’ messages
• eliminating drama of hotspots

I just wanted to say that their current design, with the newer Tetra heater, doesn't suffer from these two drawbacks at least! Yes they are such different products, ultimately user preference is the biggest factor? Which I think you encapsulated very well!

I really think it is tough to compare this to other vapes, I have used so very many, and this FW7 experience has been quite unique I must say! sure there are various similarities, but I think there is really something special here, I wouldn't say better than others, but I can see why someone would!

I think it goes really well with certain vapes actually, quite complementary in fact:
IMG-20200830-220007.jpg

So I just adjusted my temp settings, it actually was not very difficult now that I've gotten a better feel for the buttons nature with my normal use... Default presets are 340 380 420 and I was mostly just using the first two, a little fearful of scorching too much going too hard on the highest setting though I did use it to finish off more than a few bowls (still never tried through water actually) meanwhile I find that with a long slow draw riding the power button you can stretch your temp setting up, or down with less button time and or drawing faster ...

SO I set mine to now be 320 350 380 to get a nice temp stepping range for my average use, first bowl in of some blue satellite gave me about four hits at each setting (I may have done five some) that were quite enjoyable with long slow draws, nice taste and vapor at each setting that corresponded well to the temp setting along with how I rode the button and inhaled... Might not get the best battery life this way, but twas a leisurely session with damn fine vapor!

IMG-20200903-173725.jpg

All comparisons aside, I really find the experience using the Firewood7 to be quite pleasurable despite some ergonomic compromises... Simple to use with pure materials and strong power, versatile mouthpieces with great vapor quality, near instant on demand conduction with a little hybrid convection, all regulated with relatively precise temp control. Sure there are compromises, but overall I think there is just a lot to love about the FW7!

Last edited:

Lozo

I just received my FW7 a few days ago, once again I think Marc has achieved such a great balance between form and function. I have a FW4, 6 and now 7. For what it's worth these are my initial thoughts.....

The size and feel in hand is perfect for me, button feels more positive than the 6, I’ve had a few misses on it but I think that’s just down to me rather than the hardware. I end up using my thumb for the button when in use and the FW7 sits nicely in my hand. The haptic feedback is also a lot more positive than the FW6.

The battery fits in nice and snug, the battery cover was initially a bit tight but after a few slides it feels perfect now. Build quality is incredible and the way the mouth piece is extended is genius and such a big improvement over the 6, which I found used to get difficult to pull out.

My FW7 is on stock settings, only a few bowls on setting 2, 3 then 4 and I get super flavourful dense vapour with an even and complete extraction, for me this is a considerable improvement over the 6. Stock setting on level 4 yielded very dark ABV, this thing has range and power.

Vapour production is solid and dense right from the start even on heat setting 2, once warm the wait time to allow the oven to get up to temp feels no different to the multitude of ‘On Demand’ vapes out there.

I have not tried the WPA yet but what a great option!

This little gem is fast to heat up, only heats up once the button is pressed, feels great in hand, looks beautiful, delivers tasteful smooth dense vapour and extracts evenly and entirely. Didn’t use any special inhaling techniques, just a medium grind, slight tamp down, press a button, done! Super easy to use I am very impressed.

Shit Snacks

I just received my FW7 a few days ago, once again I think Marc has achieved such a great balance between form and function. I have a FW4, 6 and now 7. For what it's worth these are my initial thoughts.....

The size and feel in hand is perfect for me, button feels more positive than the 6, I’ve had a few misses on it but I think that’s just down to me rather than the hardware. I end up using my thumb for the button when in use and the FW7 sits nicely in my hand. The haptic feedback is also a lot more positive than the FW6.

The battery fits in nice and snug, the battery cover was initially a bit tight but after a few slides it feels perfect now. Build quality is incredible and the way the mouth piece is extended is genius and such a big improvement over the 6, which I found used to get difficult to pull out.

My FW7 is on stock settings, only a few bowls on setting 2, 3 then 4 and I get super flavourful dense vapour with an even and complete extraction, for me this is a considerable improvement over the 6. Stock setting on level 4 yielded very dark ABV, this thing has range and power.

Vapour production is solid and dense right from the start even on heat setting 2, once warm the wait time to allow the oven to get up to temp feels no different to the multitude of ‘On Demand’ vapes out there.

I have not tried the WPA yet but what a great option!

This little gem is fast to heat up, only heats up once the button is pressed, feels great in hand, looks beautiful, delivers tasteful smooth dense vapour and extracts evenly and entirely. Didn’t use any special inhaling techniques, just a medium grind, slight tamp down, press a button, done! Super easy to use I am very impressed.

Wait a sec, there are only three temperature settings, not four, on the FW7... Now that I adjusted my settings to be 320, 350, 380, I can definitely see the value in a fourth setting that I could put at 410 though... Default settings are 340, 380, 420

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: seki

Temple

Just received my FW7 and WPA but did not realize that the WPA does not come with glass which I find a little strange being that it’s $35. Can anyone tell me where to pick up the correct glass that will fit this perfectly?

Shit Snacks

Just received my FW7 and WPA but did not realize that the WPA does not come with glass which I find a little strange being that it’s $35. Can anyone tell me where to pick up the correct glass that will fit this perfectly?

All you need is a 14 mm male, so depending on what you want to connect it to, get 14-18 or 14-14 male to male adapter from basically anywhere! Wherever gets it to you fastest?

Some glass bubbler rigs actually use a 14 mm male connection, so in that case you could connect the FW7 directly to the water pipe with the WPA as it comes... The price reflects the work and size of wood, it also has the ceramic ring vapor path within it.

seki

Oh yeah, I imagine you have been using it upright a lot? So the oven is sideways? And or maybe you are holding the button down longer without drawing? Longer preheats? I am just thinking that if you are making vapor it has to condense somewhere, I prefer to inhale it all directly (which may be easier with the wpa setup I use?... or possibly you have just run through many more bowls than I... Since I only used the standard mouthpiece a few times, and I'm not removing the wpa at all anymore lol)

Those pics if I remember correctly are somewhere around 12-15 bowls in. There was some usage there causing the smearing. I've been mostly using it with the WPA for direct draw with the BB9 as I haven't really had the need to take any devices on the go for quite a while now. I also use it with water maybe 30-40% of the time, so I think oven position varies a bit. I find direct draw this way, I have no heat complaints even on my setting 3 (210°C). Seeing your OGB pieces here and in other threads makes me want to get some for myself. I've been considering getting something for quite a while now, maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

This should come with glass regardless. It’s a WPA

From the description of the WPA on the Firewood site:

The Firewood 7 Water Pipe Adapter (WPA) adds a female 14mm tapered joint to the bottom of the Firewood, allowing it to mate to any 14mm male glass joint. Connecting the Firewood to a water pipe allows for massive clouds that would be impossible otherwise. Please note - a 14mm male to male or other adapter (not included) may be required to connect to your water pipe. Please check your water pipe connection before ordering.
I think Payton mentioned one wasn't included in one of his videos and I think there was a comment about it from Marc as well. I glossed over this too and didn't realize at first.

The adapter you want will depend on the joint types on your water piece. The Firewood WPA needs a 14mm male end like the one in your link, but I use an Orbiter most of the time and that requires another 14mm male end, similar to the one Sneaky Pete has here:

The one you link looks like it is 14mm/10mm, which could work for you depending on your water piece.

Shit Snacks

Pretty simple. Offer two options 14mm and 18mm and that should cover most everyone. Selling it as a WPA without any glass makes no sense.

Well to be fair, many of us already have these, and wouldn't have wanted another one, frankly... And some people could have a 14 mm male rig where they would not even need the extra piece at all. I agree it'd be nice to at least offer these, but I don't think it's nonsense to sell the wpa without them...

Last edited:

PossumMD

I see both points re glass, but the page does say it's 14mm male compatible and no other size. I'd agree that a male connection is probably the less common joint type, but it is what it is.

Top Bottom