Firewood Vaporizer

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
On this note, how are out of warranty repairs covered? I know the devices when purchased new have a 1 year warranty according to the FAQ on the site, but outside of that, are repairs to older units still possible with an additional repair fee? I recall reading on Reddit an account of someone who was unhappy about repair service for an older model. I think the unit in question was a FW5, but I don't remember any of the details beyond the fact that he was disappointed about the repair or repair service for some reason.

A couple of years ago I got my out-of-warranty FW4 repaired. I had dropped it and the bottom panel covering the electronics broke off. I believe it cost me something like $20, but that was an easy repair.

I don't want to speak for Marc but my impression is that the availability/cost of out-of-warranty service depends on how complicated the repair/problem might be and whether Marc is up to his armpits in trying to roll out a new model. But the bottom line is: I have complete faith that Marc would do everything within reason and within his power to help a customer out with an out-of-warranty repair situation. We just have to keep in mind that he's a one-man shop. He can't hand returns off to his repair department and then forget about it. He's got to fit it into his production schedule for new units.

Temple

Just ordered the FW7 but he was out of batteries and charger. What is recommended for this unit and also should I stick with the charger on his site? Pretty sure these ship with no battery correct?

Temple,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
SEKI SAID: "On this note, how are out of warranty repairs covered? I know the devices when purchased new have a 1 year warranty according to the FAQ on the site, but outside of that, are repairs to older units still possible with an additional repair fee? I recall reading on Reddit an account of someone who was unhappy about repair service for an older model. I think the unit in question was a FW5, but I don't remember any of the details beyond the fact that he was disappointed about the repair or repair service for some reason."

Never know one of my own older units to have a problem so I couldn't say.... though a good question for @firewood

Fat Freddy,

moondog

Just ordered the FW7 but he was out of batteries and charger. What is recommended for this unit and also should I stick with the charger on his site? Pretty sure these ship with no battery correct?
You are correct, it's BYOB. ;)

From the FAQ @ the Firewood site:

What batteries can I use in the Firewood 4/5/6? Batteries used in Firewood 4/5 must be 18650 size and MUST BE RATED FOR AT LEAST 20A OF CONTINUOUS DISCHARGE CURRENT. Using improper batteries can cause equipment damage, which can lead to property and/or personal injury. Button top batteries will not work. They must be flat top.

Here is a list of some known good batteries:

• Efest IMR 18650 3000mah 35A Flat Top
  • Samsung 25R
  • Sony VCT4, VCT5, VCT6
Beware of counterfeit batteries! Some good sources of genuine batteries are: orbtronic.com, rtdvapor.com, liionwholesale.com (they sell individual, not just bulk)

The FW7 uses the same batteries. I've gotten batteries for all of my FWs from LI ION:

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...flat-top-wholesale-lot?variant=31113493053509.

I've never had any problem with their service or with the batteries themselves.

When it comes to chargers, I would be comfortable with any Nitecore charger that offers low a charging speed option (to prolong battery life).

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
I'm having a problem with the fw6 I just got with the fw7 and Mark is taking care of me even if he's in the middle of the launch of a new model. We communicate every couple of days by emails to isolate the problem and see if I need to return the vape. It can take three or four days but he always reply even if the fw7 take all his time, that's very good service. The good thing about wood is that's easy to repair or replace a broken/lost piece, you can always make a new one. The electronics and the heater might be a different story but only Mark knows for sure if they are easy to repair. The way I see this vape was designed I'm pretty sure that Mark thought about repairs when he build these things.

@Shit Snacks I don't think the wooden slider piece will change a lot about the heat from the mouth piece. Wood is an insulator but the piece is so small I don't think it have an impact on the vapor.

TempIe

You are correct, it's BYOB. ;)

From the FAQ @ the Firewood site:

What batteries can I use in the Firewood 4/5/6? Batteries used in Firewood 4/5 must be 18650 size and MUST BE RATED FOR AT LEAST 20A OF CONTINUOUS DISCHARGE CURRENT. Using improper batteries can cause equipment damage, which can lead to property and/or personal injury. Button top batteries will not work. They must be flat top.

Here is a list of some known good batteries:

• Efest IMR 18650 3000mah 35A Flat Top
  • Samsung 25R
  • Sony VCT4, VCT5, VCT6
Beware of counterfeit batteries! Some good sources of genuine batteries are: orbtronic.com, rtdvapor.com, liionwholesale.com (they sell individual, not just bulk)

The FW7 uses the same batteries. I've gotten batteries for all of my FWs from LI ION:

https://liionwholesale.com/collecti...flat-top-wholesale-lot?variant=31113493053509.

I've never had any problem with their service or with the batteries themselves.

When it comes to chargers, I would be comfortable with any Nitecore charger that offers low a charging speed option (to prolong battery life).

Think I am going to go with a pair of 25R and a pair of VCT5A with a D4 charger. Thanks for the input!

TempIe,
Reactions: seki

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Think I am going to go with a pair of 25R and a pair of VCT5A with a D4 charger. Thanks for the input!

Yeah I use a D2 charger and I also have a I2, so far I've only been using LG batteries in my FW7, HE4 and HG2, good battery life with 3000mah brown HG2 (but the 3000mah Samsung 30Q could be risky as they tend to have thicker wrapping for some reason...)

Sorry I know I was supposed to do another big post yesterday with more photos and detail about my experience with the WPA, general feedback for the FW7, got some new herbs and the evening got away from me!

TempIe

Yeah I use a D2 charger and I also have a I2, so far I've only been using LG batteries in my FW7, HE4 and HG2, good battery life with 3000mah brown HG2 (but the 3000mah Samsung 30Q could be risky as they tend to have thicker wrapping for some reason...)

Sorry I know I was supposed to do another big post yesterday with more photos and detail about my experience with the WPA, general feedback for the FW7, got some new herbs and the evening got away from me!
where is the best place to buy the LG batteries?

TempIe,

TheManWithSomeGoals

Got my firewood in the mail yesterday, but sadly it was DOA. Tried a lot of batteries to make it work, but none seemed to be making a connection. Hopefully I'm able to get a new/repaired unit out to me soon! Marc was great during the FW4 recall saga, hopefully this will go as smoothly!

moondog

Got my firewood in the mail yesterday, but sadly it was DOA. Tried a lot of batteries to make it work, but none seemed to be making a connection. Hopefully I'm able to get a new/repaired unit out to me soon! Marc was great during the FW4 recall saga, hopefully this will go as smoothly!
Have no fear. Marc will most certainly do right by you.

TempIe

So now torn between the Sony VCT5A and the Samsung 25R. Is one better for use with the FW7?

TempIe,

Shit Snacks

So now torn between the Sony VCT5A and the Samsung 25R. Is one better for use with the FW7?

Looks like the Sony has slightly more mah and more amps, probably more expensive too. I'm sure both will work fine, but technically the Sony would perform better... VTC6 though would give you even more mah and thus more bowls per charge btw

jerri

OK things are good but I am going to need another portable one mv1 is dead and my other one is going bad I dont mind about having to mess around to get the best hit so would the Firewood 7 fit the bill

jerri,

rvarick

Hey vapers, I got a small favor to ask.

Is anyone in this thread able to post pics of the F5, F6, and F7 side by side?

I want to see the minor differences in length and width and such. Mainly because I'm looking back at the posts referencing cases for the F6 and this case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC1SMJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2atrFbHETXKV7) is recommended but also looks tight as a glove.

Would the F5 fit in there the same? Seems like the glass stem might stick out a little and make it a longer device than the F6 but hard to say from the pictures I have. Also with all that being said, feel free to share any other cases y'all have found to be good for these Vapes as I'd be interested to hear about it seeing as these are great OTG devices
To update, that case works fine for the 7, with a little wiggle room to spare on the sides. The 6 is a little more snug in it than the 7.

I received my 7 today and was wondering for others that have one: what type of pack is best - tight or loose, and does it have to be full? Also what draw speed works best - slow, or does it not matter? And what preset temps are you using? And any idea what the out of the box temps are?

First session (with out of the box temp settings) I was getting minimal vapor, along with uncomfortably hot lips. I bumped the presets up, including preset 3 to the max temp (440). I’m still getting really wispy vapor, still hot lips, and a burnt taste. The outer part of the bowl is getting black without extracting the rest of the bowl effectively. Trying to figure out if I’m seeing user error or something with my device.

Update: I took a closer look at my 7 and think the problem may be a missing ceramic piece on the battery slider. I emailed Marc, but could others confirm if their’s has any additional piece(s) here - vs. how mine looks below?

A9B2505C-498F-46B9-B916-8F7ED4D303F0.jpeg

Last edited:
rvarick,
Reactions: seki

caseball2051

@rvarick I don't have a fw7 but this kinda sounds like something that can happen to the fw6.

If the oring that connects the bowl and glass doesn't have a secure connection there could be an air leak. Sounds like maybe this could be happening here? Maybe something to check is all your connections in the airpath.

Last edited:

TheManWithSomeGoals

To update, that case works fine for the 7, with a little wiggle room to spare on the sides. The 6 is a little more snug in it than the 7.

I received my 7 today and was wondering for others that have one: what type of pack is best - tight or loose, and does it have to be full? Also what draw speed works best - slow, or does it not matter? And what preset temps are you using? And any idea what the out of the box temps are?

First session (with out of the box temp settings) I was getting minimal vapor, along with uncomfortably hot lips. I bumped the presets up, including preset 3 to the max temp (440). I’m still getting really wispy vapor, still hot lips, and a burnt taste. The outer part of the bowl is getting black without extracting the rest of the bowl effectively. Trying to figure out if I’m seeing user error or something with my device.

Update: I took a closer look at my 7 and think the problem may be a missing ceramic piece on the battery slider. I emailed Marc, but could others confirm if their’s has any additional piece(s) here - vs. how mine looks below?

View attachment 2157
I can confirm you're missing a piece. Definitely should be another ceramic bit there.

Shit Snacks

How's microdosing in this? Finally cracked the shits with my tinymight...

Quite good actually, thanks to the design you can load just enough to cover the screen and back it down tight, since this is conduction but the vapor flow is coming from the bottom with the air flow coming from the top. So you just need to fill below the air intake holes in the ceramic chamber, and you can feel pretty much any amount within there... However depending how you grind, herb consistency, your temp settings, how long you draw and/or preheat, can affect your extraction. So best results is not to feel too much, not to pack too tight, but it does work well with half loads and I tested less and that worked quite well too! Particularly if you were to do a fine grind, pack it down tight, with good preheat you get good conduction could extraction... However you could also do a more coarse grind pack it looser, do the same preheat and slow draw with a bit of convection for higher settings. Basically this oven is pretty versatile, but it's going to take a little getting to know? So far I have found that to be pretty intuitive personally!

oh yeah you are definitely missing the ceramic piece above the oven! That fits in the oven door creating a seal and keeping everything nice and hot in the chamber... Marc will sort you

Default settings should be 340, 380, 420 btw. And if you do want to try to use it as is, I would suggest doing a long slow draw, half full bowl consistent medium fine grind while packed but not too too tight... give it a little preheat and just be mindful of your temps so you don't scorch the sides but you get a little more convection going... But yeah it's not going to work properly, with the primary conduction heating, because you are cooling down the bowl much more without that top ceramic piece to insulate your heat in the oven.

@rvarick I don't have a fw7 but this kinda sounds like something that can happen to the fw6.

If the oring that connects the bowl and glass doesn't have a secure connection there could be an air leak. Sounds like maybe this could be happening here? Maybe something to check is all your connections in the airpath.

The bowl connections here are just tight friction fit with the ceramic in wood, The only o-ring is holding the mouthpiece in place in the ceramic.

rvarick

Thanks for confirming I’m missing a piece here folks. Dang it, that sucks but explains things. I’ve never gotten a working Firewood the first try. Both my 5 and 6 had to be replaced on arrival. But given I own these still and now the 7, obviously I trust it’ll get it sorted out and I’ll be happy in the end. Fingers crossed it’s an easy fix.

seki

View attachment 2157

I'll chime in too, you're definitely missing the ceramic piece:
fw7-cover.jpg

And from the manual to your earlier question on how much to fill:
fw7-load.jpg

I missed this the first few loads and packed it to the brim. I think that's why the ceramic piece on my cover has a circle.

I actually emailed @firewood about a few things, among them electronic versions of the 6 & 7 manuals, and he obliged by uploading them to the site, thanks Marc! Here are the links for anyone interested. They're located on the FAQ page on the FW site along the other manuals:

Firewood 7 Manual

Firewood 6 Manual

Still going through my testing, and it struck me how much-- and I mean this in a good way --the FW7 seems like a wood Pax in direct draw mode. I definitely think it performs much better than a Pax, but the form factor, the portability, and the slick presentation evoke a similar feeling for me.

Never know one of my own older units to have a problem so I couldn't say.... though a good question for @firewood!
A note on repairs since it was asked and I have experience in that department.

I had a fw4 that was out of warranty. I contacted firewood and he fixed it up for a fair price.

I've also contacted firewood about custom capsule holders and he was fair and easy to work with for a product that I requested that didn't really exist.

I was one of the early fw6s and had an issue with a stuck button. I sent it off to firewood and had it fixed and back to me in under 1 week.

Firewood has great CS.
A couple of years ago I got my out-of-warranty FW4 repaired. I had dropped it and the bottom panel covering the electronics broke off. I believe it cost me something like $20, but that was an easy repair.

I don't want to speak for Marc but my impression is that the availability/cost of out-of-warranty service depends on how complicated the repair/problem might be and whether Marc is up to his armpits in trying to roll out a new model. But the bottom line is: I have complete faith that Marc would do everything within reason and within his power to help a customer out with an out-of-warranty repair situation. We just have to keep in mind that he's a one-man shop. He can't hand returns off to his repair department and then forget about it. He's got to fit it into his production schedule for new units.

This is really what I had in mind when I thought of CS from Firewood. I seem to remember a general positive feeling regarding the experience that people were reporting. I think that's why the negative account stuck out so much.

Hey vapers, I got a small favor to ask.

Is anyone in this thread able to post pics of the F5, F6, and F7 side by side?

I want to see the minor differences in length and width and such. Mainly because I'm looking back at the posts referencing cases for the F6 and this case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC1SMJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2atrFbHETXKV7) is recommended but also looks tight as a glove.

Would the F5 fit in there the same? Seems like the glass stem might stick out a little and make it a longer device than the F6 but hard to say from the pictures I have. Also with all that being said, feel free to share any other cases y'all have found to be good for these Vapes as I'd be interested to hear about it seeing as these are great OTG devices
I know this was sort of answered, but I did come across this image on Reddit:
by1ANEz.jpg

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

@seki the discoloration of the ceramic is normal, though I guess yours got a little worse a little sooner... here is mine earlier when I was able to connect the standard mouthpiece, then right now about to use it with wpa and my preferred mouthpiece:

IMG-20200820-140357.jpg

IMG-20200831-223906.jpg

And here's a bonus shot after vaping the bowl of tiger's milk, two hits at 340, six at 380, and two at 420 (probably could have gone further with more long draws, but I took shorter hits at the upper temps and purposely didn't want to push it) BCG fine:

IMG-20200831-233247.jpg

Last edited:

vapormachina

You made the right choice, WITHOUT THE SLIGHT OF DOUBT, as far as I'm concerned!

SPEAKING BLUNTLY, you have avoided in just one vape, theTM, excessive fiddliness, an excessive cleaning regimen, excessive vapor and stem heat, and extremely inconsistent repair service. I have observed these thing all first hand in the TM!

By purchasing a FW7, you have acquired ease of cleaning and maintenance, ease of assembly and disassembly, moderate vapor heat and vapor quantity, and proven consistent repair service base in the USA where return shipping does not cost an exhorbitant rate. And, you know WHO Marc is and WHERE he lives. I HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL OF THESE FACTORS with Marc and his products as well as his impeccable cs over the years!

WED-NoBrainer1.jpeg

===========================================================

I have the same doubt. In terms of steam production, do you think there is much difference? I currently use crafty and vapcap, I like powerful vaporizers; do you think the FW7 produces as many clouds as the TM without producing extremely hot steam?

I'm also concerned about customs issues, I'm from Spain; How about shipments to Europe?

I don't understand why there is so much hype around TM and so little is said about this vaporizer

vapormachina,
Top Bottom