• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

FC E-Nail by JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
FYI everyone ... just to update everyone on my plans ... I'm waiting for all my misc parts to have enough on stock (apart from the Omron) to build about 5 units.

Once everything comes in, I'll be able to build proper "to scale" aluminum front/back plates for my desired end case size (based on commonly available aluminum enclosures). If this size works out, I'll likely build myself a nice oak enclosure for these front/back aluminum plates, but this will serve as a properly sized unit so I can go ahead and order some cases.

The first batch of units I will be cutting/drilling the front and back panels manually (drill press, table mounted jig saw, files and sandpaper, ...) as the cost to have a small # of cases pre-cut is ridiculous. Couple hundred dollars to do 1 but $5-$10 per unit apart from the $200 setup cost. So cost to do 100 is fine ... but cost to do 5 ends up being quite costly as you incur an additional $40-$50 per unit at least ... + shipping ... so likely more like an additional $60-$75 per unit when my desired cost for these is <$20 per unit)

I can get cases and cut them myself for <$20 USD I'm sure ... or if I order 100 I'm sure I could get them pre-cut for even less ...

Fcuk-Combustion

FYI everyone ... just to update everyone on my plans ... I'm waiting for all my misc parts to have enough on stock (apart from the Omron) to build about 5 units.

Once everything comes in, I'll be able to build proper "to scale" aluminum front/back plates for my desired end case size (based on commonly available aluminum enclosures). If this size works out, I'll likely build myself a nice oak enclosure for these front/back aluminum plates, but this will serve as a properly sized unit so I can go ahead and order some cases.

The first batch of units I will be cutting/drilling the front and back panels manually (drill press, table mounted jig saw, files and sandpaper, ...) as the cost to have a small # of cases pre-cut is ridiculous. Couple hundred dollars to do 1 but $5-$10 per unit apart from the $200 setup cost. So cost to do 100 is fine ... but cost to do 5 ends up being quite costly as you incur an additional $40-$50 per unit at least ... + shipping ... so likely more like an additional $60-$75 per unit when my desired cost for these is <$20 per unit)

I can get cases and cut them myself for <$20 USD I'm sure ... or if I order 100 I'm sure I could get them pre-cut for even less ...

I've spent the last few hours reading through this thread (and the previous community enail project thread) and I must say I am very impressed with your work and innovation.

Consider me INTERESTED. I will gladly buy one of these first batch units from you if they aren't all reserved already.

This ticks all the boxes im looking for in an enail
-Omron E5CC-QX controller
-Rotary Knob
-Assembled with care (not chinese bad soldering/glue)

The ability to run scripts and control from phone/web browser is icing on the cake. And supporting an FC member

edit @JCat is it possible to add a PSL coefficient setting like the Auber units have so you can adjust the display show the nail temp instead of the coil temp?

Last edited:

SamuraiSam

Extraction Technician

Give me a week or two I might be able to help you out with this.

JCat

Accessory Maker
is it possible to add a PSL coefficient setting like the Auber units have so you can adjust the display show the nail temp instead of the coil temp?
The Omron I don't believe has a PSL setting anywhere in it ... (at least not that I could find), it does have an "offset" though ... and I was planning on making that setting available (along with a few others such as temperature unit) from the app.

Edit: Will actually likely store the "offset" with the "Profiles" so that when you load a profile for a specific device it not only loads P, I, D settings, but also the offset.

JCat

Accessory Maker
JCat, is it possible to change the graphic design a/o colors of the screen?
Mobile app you are referring to? Of course yes, but like I said originally when asking for help ... I’m not a graphics design guy ... so unless someone is volunteering their time to work on the HTML layout and LESS styles it’s not something I want to spend a lot of time on (this is something one can easily lose tens or hundreds of hours in and I’m still more focused on feature stability and functionality right now)

The code is open source for non-commercial so ultimately anyone can branch it off github, make the appropriate changes, and make a pull request for me to merge it into the main branch :)

Would love to have some more contributors!

The technology stack is mainly ReactJS/Redux/Typescript/NodeJS/SocketIO/ExpressJS/Cordova for those interested

Edit: @Hogni ... colour scheme/style is easy to change but look and feel and layout are a whole other matter :)

I’ll likely offer a few standard themes such as a “light” one as well as this “dark” one

JCat,
Reactions: Hogni

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Thanks, I'm a simple boy with a simple liking, just black on white with no disturbing visual gimmicks besides. Unfortunately I've no technical clue about this stuff but full of respect for people who like it. It's all a giant mystery to me.....:huh:

Hogni,

Fcuk-Combustion

@JCat I hope you have a good name thought up for this because it has the potential to sell many many units and become a household name in the E-nail world (if that's the direction you want to take it)

Fcuk-Combustion,

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat I hope you have a good name thought up for this because it has the potential to sell many many units and become a household name in the E-nail world (if that's the direction you want to take it)
Not sure if I'll be mass producing these or not yet ... we'll see how things go and how things work out this year :) ... I have a partner on another project that is getting into small scale manufacturing ... so if that pans out this might be a candidate.

Hogni

Don't forget your life besides of all this stuff ;)

I'm in for sure the next months together with an SV3 mod, bro!

Short question. What does happen with a package from Canada to the US? If I'd have an addressee in the US would he get hassle with US customs?

And a 2nd question regarding the E-Nail. Am I right that the screen is a fixed part of the Omron? Would like to pair your E-Nail kit with a touchscreen/bigger screen (I'm an old bastard with bad hyperopic eyes) similar to the HN-01 in a nice customized wooden enclosure or that of a Variac.

153ca8022b2a7ac9d3184a57edd18266.jpg

Wish you all a merry Xmas!

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Short question. What does happen with a package from Canada to the US? If I'd have an addressee in the US would he get hassle with US customs?

And a 2nd question regarding the E-Nail. Am I right that the screen is a fixed part of the Omron?

Ive received multiple dab related products from Canada and have had zero issues with shipping/customs.

Yes the screen on the Omron is pretty much set the way it is (IMO the clearest, easiest to read display Ive pretty much ever seen on a PID)

The aux display that is handling/displaying the script info can definitely be larger though and IMO thats the screen you'd prolly benefit the most from having a bit bigger

Hogni

Thank you very much but it was less a question on juridical hassle bc it's dab related (I understood you so) but more regarding customs fee/taxes and its transaction. I don't want an addressee having work and efforts with that. Sorry, but I don't know how such things are handled in the US regarding cross-border business from Canada.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Thank you very much but it was less a question on juridical hassle bc it's dab related (I understood you so) but more regarding customs fee/taxes and its transaction. I don't want an addressee having work and efforts with that. Sorry, but I don't know how such things are handled in the US regarding cross-border business from Canada.

IME the shipping has been a few dollars, I think the most was like $10 for a full nail setup insured and tracked, Im sure Canadian FC'ers can be more exact but I don't think you have any concerns shipping to or from Canada, other international places maybe, but not Canada. As an aside, everything Ive ever shipped or had shipped across the northern border has gone very fast also

JCat

Accessory Maker
One way one could have a much bigger built-in display, would be to attach a cheap 7" android tablet to the setup ... it could just run the app so it would essentially give you a "built-in" display but would technically not be physically connected (except for power source likely).

Yes, the OLED display could be bigger, but then you get into a bigger case as well--and more costly ... the 64x128 OLED screens are quite inexpensive. There are enough components that if you want to keep the cost down (<$400) there are some constraints.

One has to remember too @Hogni that it has to appeal to everyone ... so a bigger display may appeal to you for an extra $50 but for someone else that extra $50 might be much more important ... with all software development projects (and hardware I suppose although that's not typically my area of expertise), it's a balancing act between features/flexibility/cost/time. As one adds flexibility or features, it comes at the expense of time and money.

Similarly, a bigger control dial may appeal to you at the cost of using a larger enclosure and a slight cost increase, however, for others the increased enclosure size would be more of a negative then the increased dial size ... make sense?

All that being said, keep up with the comments and suggestions, as if it is one that is easy to accommodate, or if it is something that would be generally desired (ie. if the majority want that feature), then it's something that might be added. Currently though, my next build is going to be rather fixed as far as size/components as I already have a vision there, and want to play it out (plus already have parts on the way). After the next prototype is complete, which will be a more polished product, then I can review any feedback, and adjust for the next iteration accordingly; good chance on the next iteration though it will only be minor refinements so I can get a handful of units build and out for testing in the real-world.

Edit: as well, one-offs with fancy cases, bigger displays, bigger controls, etc., etc. could be built, but then these become "custom builds"; and to draw a parallel, when you buy a piece of furniture, if that furniture is produced in quantity, you might pay say $500 for a table. If you were to have a table made just for you, then the cost would likely be more in the $1,500 - $2,500 for the table, as it becomes a custom "one-off" piece, and the increased labour for producing a single custom item vs many of the same, ends up being 3-5x the cost.

So ... one could take custom specs, and then have custom enclosure built, custom parts sourced, and customizations made to the software, but then your cost would likely be more in the $1,000-$1,500 range instead of the $350-$400 range ... or if you could get together with a # of people for the custom build then the labour and customization costs get shared and the costs per unit go down. Make sense?

Edit Edit: as well, with custom builds, since these units are 110/220V, they will require CSA approval, so if one has a "custom build" made, then that build needs to be inspected and certified on it's own, which in and of itself would cost $150-$500 estimate to have a field inspection and certification by the ESA (electrical safety authority)

Last edited:

PoopMachine

Stupid question.... the tablet thing has got me thinking. No reason you couldnt take the standard unit and make a stand to integrate a table and more or less "enclose" the whole controller.

Any chance you could to a USB port for power? Tuck the controller into some kind of enclosure that has a stand for the tables and have the nail power the tablet. Optional screen accomplished!

If things blow up, you could even sell the stand and the screen as an optional kit if you finalized something.

Cant wait to get my hands on one of these.

Hogni

Thanks for your fast and detailed replies.

Probably it's my lack of English skills to explain what I mean the right way.

1. It wasn't really my intention to order a customized whole controller I just wanted to know the technical possibilities and the efforts to realize them. But already answered I guess ;)
BTW would be nice if it'd be possible to connect the nail with a tablet.

2. No, I neither wasn't speaking about juridical issues at customs nor the costs of shipment. I just wanted to know whether a US addressee would have to aware some administrative efforts and paying fee/taxes before getting the package from Canada in his hands :shrug:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
@Hogni it will be nothing at all for your connexion américaine. No hassle, no additional effort but to get his post like everyday. No administrative hoops to jump through, no additional fees/taxes to be paid. Canada Post packages become U.S. Postal Service packages at the border. North American Free Trade Agreement. If it’s UPS Ground, then you’re with Brown all the way. Unless something’s changed in the last 2 years!

Not long now before Kris Kringle, aka Father Christmas aka Santa Claus aka St. Nick aka Papá Noel aka Weihnachtsmann aka Père Noël * begins his annual rampage of serial breaking and entering.

Little children of all ages and from all over are delighted but as I get older, my thoughts are more like:
“how does this old guy keep up with the latest technology and continue to exploit the very best in home security?” I’m just glad that he’s a jolly old soul and not a ninja assassin in the employ of the NWO.

* Is there another name for Saint Nicholas where you live? Or perhaps where you grew up?

Hogni

Thanks, pxl_jockey, that I wanted to know.

In Germany, it's just the "Weihnachtsmann" who is coming on 24th of Dec. to bring the gifts.
Besides of him, we have the "Nikolaus" and his servant "Knecht Rupprecht" who also bring some small gifts for children, at the 6th of Dec. But Xmas is much more important, it's the main event.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Any updates on this front?
Waiting for parts! (Shipping has been slow for some parts from China over Christmas and all ... and with the shit-show that was Canada Post in December!)

Could build everything for an extra ~$100 per unit if I got everything (except PID) from North America ... should hopefully have the last of the parts any day now though ...

christohari

This is looking promising. I am not sure how far along you are yet but I like the idea of the touch screen if it was able to be implemented at a reasonable price, especially as a stand-alone unit, but I also get how the app functionality works as the same thing. Perhaps the display could even put on top and some sort of stand could be designed if people wanted to put it upright?
As far as body type, I am a vote for aluminum alloy rather than wood enclosures but I am not sure how heavy you plan on expanding as far as all the body and/or customizations. It's going to be great to see a high end unit with features other than on/off.

Fkn0wned

I've been following this thread to see how the progress is going and was wondering if there has been any more progress made, have you recieved the parts you had ordered yet or still waiting?

I might try and get in on this if I have the $ and if there are still some available for the first production test run.

exmex

This looks really promising! Id be down to put up some coin and be a tester too! I have a few different coils, ligers and 25mm bangers to add to the testing

Top Bottom