FC E-Nail by JCat

crafty302

So the 2nd unit is now built, and all put together and running as my primary unit, took some time, and made me realize, that the wiring and installation of the electronics is likely more time consuming then the woodworking :lol: ...

I'm going to be starting work on the first 2 units to go out to customers, so if someone wants one, let me know. These will likely be on a pre-order type basis, as they are a lot of work, so I'm not going to be building them if no one wants them :)

Here's the final pictures of the FC E-Nail by J-Cat w/ wood enclosure:

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png
Nice looking unit...

JCat

Accessory Maker
How much are these? Interested!
I posted the last 2 for sale in the classifieds (although they weren't there for long!).

Cost is $450 USD

Edit: $100 deposit to reserve a unit from the next batch

Edit Edit: And just as a quick update, received the Omron PIDs finally (the Chinese holiday slowed things down I think!), and now just waiting for the final parts (power sockets, main buttons, and most importantly relays) which I am expecting any day

Copterstyle

I love my e-nail (sn0002). Very intuitive and easy to operate. Very easy on the eyes. Not a single hiccup and is always switched on and ready to go for my daily use. Joe is also great to deal with and an upstanding person who really has put so much thought and time into ironing out the wrinkles in his product!

JCat

Accessory Maker
I love my e-nail (sn0002). Very intuitive and easy to operate. Very easy on the eyes. Not a single hiccup and is always switched on and ready to go for my daily use. Joe is also great to deal with and an upstanding person who really has put so much thought and time into ironing out the wrinkles in his product!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm really glad you like it!

Enialis

Would you be interested in selling this in a kit form? I skimmed the thread and assuming I could purchase the parts and instructions off of you this is definitely something I could assemble myself. I don't see any other pids that can run scripts or be controlled through something like ssh so far so I think building or buying one of these might be my only option for an advanced programmable enail.

Enialis,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Would you be interested in selling this in a kit form? I skimmed the thread and assuming I could purchase the parts and instructions off of you this is definitely something I could assemble myself. I don't see any other pids that can run scripts or be controlled through something like ssh so far so I think building or buying one of these might be my only option for an advanced programmable enail.
Maybe ... but depends what you mean by a kit. My cost of materials alone is a little over $200 (not including any wires, crimp on connectors, solder, shrink-wrap, wood). If you are talking about just sending you the components, plus a "ready-to-go" SD card, and you make your own case including face/rear plates, and you put together all your wires (and crimp on your own ends etc.), then I'm sure we could work something out. If you need me to cut face/rear plates, assemble wires etc., then I'm not sure how much I can discount just for assembly and shell.

All the information is essentially there on GitHub, to build your own, but it requires some knowledge of electricity and electronics and Linux. I've made the licensing such that it is free for personal use, but not commercial; so if you wish to build your own unit, you are definitely free to do so (but NOT to build units for others or for any profit at all, including deriving a profit from the labour)

Edit: And yes, you are correct that this is the only e-nail capable of running custom scripts. It is, in my opinion, by far the most advanced e-nail on the market; and it is extremely stable/reliable and has a relatively intuitive and easy-to-use interface (especially considering the wealth of features)

Another key differentiating factor on these units is the ability to auto-tune profiles, and adjust temperature offsets, and save/recall them as you switch coils that you have plugged in at the "click of a button".

Enialis

Thanks for pointing out the github ill take a look at that. So in the first post when you said a "kit" for $250-300 did you mean a completed unit? If thats the case then I misunderstood and would probably be able to just buy one off of you, though after looking at the github this looks like the perfect project to combine my interests of Marijuana intake, SBC development, and the bash shell. Is there a waiting list I would need to get on to purchase a pre-built unit?

Enialis,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Thanks for pointing out the github ill take a look at that. So in the first post when you said a "kit" for $250-300 did you mean a completed unit? If thats the case then I misunderstood and would probably be able to just buy one off of you, though after looking at the github this looks like the perfect project to combine my interests of Marijuana intake, SBC development, and the bash shell. Is there a waiting list I would need to get on to purchase a pre-built unit?
$250-$300 is just the parts w/ an SD card (the cost of parts is $200 alone). A pre-built unit is $450

(Edit: and cost of $200 for parts is based on sourcing parts from China where appropriate and buying in batches of 5-10 pieces or more of each part. Cost to source and ship parts for a single unit, I imagine, would definitely exceed $300)

Enialis

@JCat Let me talk to the family again now that I know the actual price, I already talked them into doing the $300 kit so I think I'll be able to come up with the rest of the money in the next week or two. I'll get back to you later tonight or tomorrow when I have the money ready for the deposit. How much is the deposit and what forms of payment do you take so I can tell them?

@JCat while I'm thinking of it, can this also be used as a pid for newvape vaporizers as well? If so that would be an insane value and seal the deal for sure.

Enialis,
Reactions: JCat

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat while I'm thinking of it, can this also be used as a pid for newvape vaporizers as well? If so that would be an insane value and seal the deal for sure.
It will work for all standard XLR enail coils, which includes newvape ones.

I personally have a v-rod still :)

Enialis

@JCat okay, well then I am for sure going to get one, how much did you need for a deposit or did you not need one? I thought I saw that you did on the first page of the thread but now I'm not finding it. I'm guessing you'd want at least the cost of parts right?

Enialis,

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat okay, well then I am for sure going to get one, how much did you need for a deposit or did you not need one? I thought I saw that you did on the first page of the thread but now I'm not finding it. I'm guessing you'd want at least the cost of parts right?
Actually, not asking for the cost of parts, just asking for $100 deposit. Send me a PM and we can arrange payment, there are 2 units remaining for reservation from this batch :)

JCat,

El Rawn Hubbard

This is sadly not in my budget for the time being, but the desire is strong & it's something I could see myself saving for...:drool:

Is a 240v unit with an antipodean plug possible?

JCat

Accessory Maker
This is sadly not in my budget for the time being, but the desire is strong & it's something I could see myself saving for...:drool:

Is a 240v unit with an antipodean plug possible?
240V should be supported no problem.

all the components are fully compatible, and it uses a standard C14 connector so shouldn’t be an issue.

one of the units from the next batch is indeed going to Australia to run on 230V/50Hz

I need to get a test coil actually and inverter to properly test this before it ships out, but I see no issue.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just thought I should pop in here and provide everyone with a quick update. The final 2 parts (relay and power entry module) never showed up (lost in shipping, so I've been refunded, however, still need these to finish assembly)

The power entry module, I can't even get at DigiKey right now as they are out of stock (but have found a matching part from another North American Supplier for an extra 70% in cost); for the relay, these are unbelievably hard to find at a reasonable price to meet specs, but I have found a suitable substitute from a North American supplier.

So I've placed an order from this North American supplier (where I get the OLED displays as well) for the relay and power entry modules (since I don't wish to wait another 4-12 weeks for parts from China). This has increased my cost of each unit by ~$35, however, the wait has been long enough, so I will just absorb this cost myself and make the substitution.

Goal is to have these all built and shipped out before the end of May.

thevapist

I was eyeing the MaxVapor for a while specifically to try and hack/mess with their dashboard. This thing looks AWESOME and I'll probably be sending you a PM soon.

thevapist,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just a quick update ... been a very busy couple months for me; good news is I have all the parts, so just need to find a few days to build the units ... hoping to find the time in the next few weeks, just need to wrap up a couple projects at work first so I can shift my focus :)

Thanks everyone for your patience! I'm very much looking forward to getting these built so I can get them into everyone's hands :)

@thevapist, the 6th and final unit from this batch I believe is now gone (it's not firm yet, but unless they back out, you are out of luck for this batch. Sorry :( )

Top Bottom