Ed's WoodScents Log Vape - Ed's TnT

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
So my 2020 WS lite kit arrived today, but I seem to have some issues. I've been using my vvps at its highest (11.8v) which on my underdog is too much but even then got no/barely any vapour from the WS, but it is very hot to the touch. Also the tip that came with it doesn't fit over the WS tip, neither do any of the other vapcap tips I have. Is the tip of the WS actually meant to go into the vapcap tip for the 4mm or whatever it is or just kinda join at the slightly slanted inner rim of the vapcap tip? Also the WS make a rattling noise, even when I hold a finger on the tip where the CCD is.

//edit: also, no idea if this is relevant, the inner part isn't really centred but tilts to one side to the WS tip is slightly angled by a few mm.

I can’t really comment on the vvps as I don’t have one. For purposes of troubleshooting, how are you packing your bowls? I find less lightly tamped is more than trying to stuff as much as I can in there to promote a more open air/heat flow. I was happily sipping along at 7 in the stock heater for a few hours last night, so it’s wild that it wouldn’t produce vapor close to 12. If the lite kit included the stock heater (edit: stock psu) maybe give it a go to rule out problems with the vvps?

The tip fit is odd. If you read back a page or two you’ll see I had similar issues. It’s going to be pretty snug due to manufacturing tolerance, but it should fit over the tip, be able to rotate, and come off without excessive force. The big clue to me that something was awry was that with the glass stem + dv tip when attempting to remove the tip after taking a hit, the thermal expansion locked the tip pretty tightly to the heater and the stem ended up separating from the dv tip.

The heating post should probably be vertical and more or less straight up and down. Mine isn’t at an angle. Maybe reach out to @Ed's TnT ? It’s got me thinking that there is what looks like some kind of scorch mark near one of the logo cutouts on the ti base plate. I didn’t think much of it initially, but now that I realize that’s also an air inlet I wonder if the damage could compromise the safety of the airflow in someway or it’s just a cosmetic blemish?

Last edited:

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I can’t really comment on the vvps as I don’t have one. For purposes of troubleshooting, how are you packing your bowls? I find less lightly tamped is more than trying to stuff as much as I can in there to promote a more open air/heat flow. I was happily sipping along at 7 in the stock heater for a few hours last night, so it’s wild that it wouldn’t produce vapor close to 12. If the lite kit included the stock heater (edit: stock psu) maybe give it a go to rule out problems with the vvps?

The tip fit is odd. If you read back a page or two you’ll see I had similar issues. It’s going to be pretty snug due to manufacturing tolerance, but it should fit over the tip, be able to rotate, and come off without excessive force. The big clue to me that something was awry was that with the glass stem + dv tip when attempting to remove the tip after taking a hit, the thermal expansion locked the tip pretty tightly to the heater and the stem ended up separating from the dv tip.

The heating post should probably be vertical and more or less straight up and down. Mine isn’t at an angle. Maybe reach out to @Ed's TnT ? It’s got me thinking that there is what looks like some kind of scorch mark near one of the logo cutouts on the ti base plate. I didn’t think much of it initially, but now that I realize that’s also an air inlet I wonder if the damage could compromise the safety of the airflow in someway or it’s just a cosmetic blemish?

Thank you for your detailed reply! I think it likely is an issue of the WS heater tip being too wide as virtually none of my other vapcap tips fit either (incl 2 TIs). As you say in your previous post, I feel like this is an issue that could be avoided in QC and he should definitely add to the list of the QC checks he ships with. Not an issue of the power supply, thing gets hot just fine, the heat just doesn't get to the herb. What the wonky angle of the core is about, no idea, could just be cosmetic (it is pretty slight, maybe off by 3mm), doesn't help my current bitterness though.

Ed actually reached out to me within 30min or so of me posting here which is a great sign, and we're trying to figure it out. Also he's doing this on the weekend which I do massively appreciate.

I'm in Europe, which makes this all a huge pain whichever way it gets resolved. Shipping to him would set me back by a lot of additional money for an already premium device, and with current covid shipping issues (DHL currently goes to North America via actual f*ing ship and the chance of it both arriving in the US without issues and then arriving back here via usps without issues is abysmal, plus I'm likely to incur more customs costs when he ships it back to me), I'd be lucky to have a functioning device by summer for which I would then have paid ~150% of its value altogether. Which SUCKS. Other option is getting my DIY hat on and try to fix the issue with remote guidance, which for now seems preferable but obviously not really what my expectation at time of purchase was. It appears I'm about to drill open that dynavap tip as per Ed's suggestion...

I do understand that this shit happens and I'm sure Ed has his stellar reputation for a reason (and from my experience with him I have virtually zero reason to doubt that), but still a massive disappointment all things considered. Enough moaning though. In good news, the wood is gorgeous.

slozukimc

Ed's heaters are uniform...it is the Dynavap tips that are all over the place with testing my 9 different tips. :2c:
Ed’s air path is also made by Dynavap. Ed has to check each and every one. Dynavap does have some really shitty quality control sometimes. Any measurment tech worth his pay would be disgusted with the variances coming out of that shop.

gordontreeman

Ed’s air path is also made by Dynavap. Ed has to check each and every one. Dynavap does have some really shitty quality control sometimes. Any measurment tech worth his pay would be disgusted with the variances coming out of that shop.
Oh, I did not know that. It makes sense, given that DV is already set up for manufacturing ti components and (in theory) are set to manufacture a heater with the proper dimensions.

It is disappointing that their tolerances are so “fast and loose” however. It still seems like it might be worth adding a qc step of making sure the heater/dv tip mate nicely, but it doesn’t do anything for tips one already owns or might purchase down the road. I’m also not sure what the relationship is between Ed and DV re: rejecting parts and such.

Since most of my comments in this thread have focused on these fit issues (and Ed already contacted me to resolve that), I did want to end on a more positive note. I’ve been otherwise extremely pleased with my WS. I’ve been using the direct draw glass stem with the screen maybe 1/2” in or so. I don’t load much—never past the top of the screen—and a 6 or 7 on the stock psu gives me lovely tasty hits. They’re a bit wispy, but I imagine if I added a bit more heat I’d be at the cloud point, which isn’t necessarily where my tolerance levels want to go yet 🙂. As I’m new to vaping, a huge plus I notice relative to the DV is that I can stay at these lower temps much longer—with the vapcap after a hit or two with my lighter near the tip, I don’t see or feel any vapor without moving down the stem and into higher temp territory. The avb also ends up a little lighter in the WS than the DV, which is my preference. I have plenty of headroom on the heater if I wanted it to be as fully extracted as the vapcap seems to get it based on avb color, but those last hits on a vapcap are never terribly pleasant, though the effects are usually still there.

slozukimc

Oh, I did not know that. It makes sense, given that DV is already set up for manufacturing ti components and (in theory) are set to manufacture a heater with the proper dimensions.

It is disappointing that their tolerances are so “fast and loose” however. It still seems like it might be worth adding a qc step of making sure the heater/dv tip mate nicely, but it doesn’t do anything for tips one already owns or might purchase down the road. I’m also not sure what the relationship is between Ed and DV re: rejecting parts and such.

Since most of my comments in this thread have focused on these fit issues (and Ed already contacted me to resolve that), I did want to end on a more positive note. I’ve been otherwise extremely pleased with my WS. I’ve been using the direct draw glass stem with the screen maybe 1/2” in or so. I don’t load much—never past the top of the screen—and a 6 or 7 on the stock psu gives me lovely tasty hits. They’re a bit wispy, but I imagine if I added a bit more heat I’d be at the cloud point, which isn’t necessarily where my tolerance levels want to go yet 🙂. As I’m new to vaping, a huge plus I notice relative to the DV is that I can stay at these lower temps much longer—with the vapcap after a hit or two with my lighter near the tip, I don’t see or feel any vapor without moving down the stem and into higher temp territory. The avb also ends up a little lighter in the WS than the DV, which is my preference. I have plenty of headroom on the heater if I wanted it to be as fully extracted as the vapcap seems to get it based on avb color, but those last hits on a vapcap are never terribly pleasant, though the effects are usually still there.
I didn’t mean to imply Dynavap makes the heater as well. As far as I know Ed sources them himself. The heater and air path are two different pieces. The heater is inside the air path which then connect to the tip.

gordontreeman

I didn’t mean to imply Dynavap makes the heater as well. As far as I know Ed sources them himself. The heater and air path are two different pieces. The heater is inside the air path which then connect to the tip.
Yep, sorry—I’m on my phone and mistyped. I also meant the air path (presumably the ti cylinder + ccd, the heater is a separate component housed within this assembly).

gordontreeman,

gordontreeman

I haven’t dropped mine @grogazola but my cat knocked mine down maybe 2’ onto a carpeted floor (as cats are wont to do...). I haven’t noticed any rattle before or after, but I don’t move mine much save to lift it to the stem.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: LesPlenty

grogazola

The rattle is normal, it is the heater hitting the inside of the Ti heater tube.

Thank you! Any clumsy people drop their Woodscents? How do you manage with the cable? I find it so awkward since the Woodscents is so light...any tips for cable management??

Also can’t forget to give a shoutout to you @LesPlenty for being the one who showed me (and convinced me to buy) a Woodscents

I just got a WPA and wowwww giddy up buddy...filled up a two foot piece.........:science:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I find it so awkward since the Woodscents is so light...any tips for cable management??

Yeah, a binder clip on the edge of the table.

Here's what I do:
IMG-1267-JPG.jpg

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Yeah, a binder clip on the edge of the table.

Here's what I do:
IMG-1267-JPG.jpg

Damn dude, that photo makes me want to come over and gently push your WS away from that edge. Gives me anxiety ha. I found these cable organiser things that you can to a surface like a desk, and have my cables running through that. Pretty much like your fix there. Also I put an inline switch in the cable so I can turn it on and off more conveniently.

As an update to my previous posts, Ed is just insanely helpful and kind, I've literally never had a customer service experience like that. Managed to make it work short-term via some rotary drill action on the tip, and Ed is setting me up with a long-term solution in the meantime. Absolutely awesome guy.

grogazola

I really am digging my Woodscents. Still feels like I’m in the honeymoon period as I’m still learning different things about technique, draw, and pack method.

Curious about WPAs though. Since I have the Lite Kit I don’t have an official Ed’s TnT WPA. I bought one from PotV and it seems like the tip is not secure to the stem when I place my Woodscents on it. When I have my Woodscents on my WPA the tip seems to loosen from the glass stem. Do all WPAs do this? Do some WPAs stay on tight and secure with the Woodscents?

Kruder

Hey everyone,

New WS owner here. I like it a lot, but I have a question.

Can someone please post step by step ELI5 style instructions for replacing the screen on the top of the heater for better airflow and larger bowls (closer to the heater)?

I have a bunch of 0.375" SS screens that I could use, I'm just too afraid to attack the old screen with some tools, I don't wanna break something. All help is appreciated!

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Good evening, popping in for a quick second. @Kruder pls do not attempt to remove that filter disc. These are seated in there more securely now so they cant be easily removed. Had issues with too many users having the discs pop out and get lost and would have users send their back to have it reseated and such. These are pressed in and secured more so. Would appreciate it if you all spread that word as well.

I do so want to apologize for my long long absence here and elsewhere in forums. I am finding myself with less and less time to get by to respond and reply. I am in the shop so much from can to cant doing all I can as much as I can when I am not with my sons. Pls know you can reach out to me by PM here, email, by phone or other quick SM messaging.

BTW, I have moved my site over to Shopify for a easier to navigate and much more secure shopping experience. Also keep an eye out for whats to come last week in the month, gonna be dropping some new, a super hot deal that most will think I must have flipped my wig. Great things are coming yall after 14 years in business this month woot woot.

LesPlenty

Company Rep

gordontreeman

Hey folks,

I've been using the glass direct draw stem with a metal screen inserted while my DV tip is sorted (just send it back to Ed!). Its been a treat--I have been finding that I like to start with the stock PSU at a 6.5 or 7 and enjoy fantastic flavor and smooth vapor as long as I can. When that seems to no longer produce any vapor, I slowly add heat. I have gone as high as 8.5, which gets a preeeeetty dark AVB and not particularly tasty puffs, but its nice to have the option if you want to extract as much as possible and don't mind a few less than great tasting hits.

However, the one thing I've noticed is the heating on this steam seems to not be very even. The center channel of the flower is always cooked to wherever I would expect the PSU setting to take it, but the outside is usually quite a bit lighter. I'm guessing this is just due to the design of this stem, and from reading older posts in this thread it isn't really an issue with the DV tips at all. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this besides stirring? For example, could I push the screen back a bit to try to give the hot air more room to disperse throughout the glass stem (and maybe add a bit of heat to adjust for the longer air path)?

I'm also starting to look into Waterpipes if anyone has any suggestions or useful pointers beyond add heat =). I need to do a bit more digging to understand what separates quality glass from less quality, but from appearances something like https://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-...e_id=397760004#st1-12-1|0|0;sthome|2298699229 seems like it would be a great fit with the WS as opposed to what I think of as a traditional bong with an angled downstem. I'm in no rush as I'm thinking 4/20 will probably offer some sales from more traditional outlets anyway.

DarkRoast

Hey folks,

I've been using the glass direct draw stem with a metal screen inserted while my DV tip is sorted (just send it back to Ed!). Its been a treat--I have been finding that I like to start with the stock PSU at a 6.5 or 7 and enjoy fantastic flavor and smooth vapor as long as I can. When that seems to no longer produce any vapor, I slowly add heat. I have gone as high as 8.5, which gets a preeeeetty dark AVB and not particularly tasty puffs, but its nice to have the option if you want to extract as much as possible and don't mind a few less than great tasting hits.

However, the one thing I've noticed is the heating on this steam seems to not be very even. The center channel of the flower is always cooked to wherever I would expect the PSU setting to take it, but the outside is usually quite a bit lighter. I'm guessing this is just due to the design of this stem, and from reading older posts in this thread it isn't really an issue with the DV tips at all. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this besides stirring? For example, could I push the screen back a bit to try to give the hot air more room to disperse throughout the glass stem (and maybe add a bit of heat to adjust for the longer air path)?

I'm also starting to look into Waterpipes if anyone has any suggestions or useful pointers beyond add heat =). I need to do a bit more digging to understand what separates quality glass from less quality, but from appearances something like https://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-sell-best-price-bong-glass-smoking-pipe/397760004.html?dspm=wapen.store.newarrival.2.9Wh5C1CNAOKFlld6eWiA&resource_id=397760004#st1-12-1|0|0;sthome|2298699229 seems like it would be a great fit with the WS as opposed to what I think of as a traditional bong with an angled downstem. I'm in no rush as I'm thinking 4/20 will probably offer some sales from more traditional outlets anyway.
Unfortunately I believe this is a limitation of the glass stems. I've noticed the DV tips get some conduction heat from the heater when you let it sit on there for 10-15 sec prior to inhaling. This is preferred and doesn't require stirring. A big plus in moving to the woodscents from my e-nano!

gordontreeman

Sort of what I figured, thanks for confirming @DarkRoast. I don’t have any good stirring tools, but maybe I’ll see if the included pick can move it around a bit without making a mess. The flower seems to mostly stick together if I don’t go through it all in the glass stem in a single bit, so it’s nice being able to stick it back in a drawer without a bunch of avb spilling all over.

gordontreeman,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've recently ordered a new Woodscents vaporizer, which will be my third Woodscents log...It's like I'm addicted to these things or something!

I do have a long-term affection for that two-tone burl though!

I'll have pics when it arrives in a few days of course :razz:

Top Bottom