Ed's WoodScents Log Vape - Ed's TnT

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
No middle ring=older model (only available 2nd hand now or special order from ED?)

This is the shape of the newer model

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean? The image on vape north is the same model I just purchased (rings on the top and bottom, not in the middle). Are you saying that’s the older/cooler heater?

gordontreeman,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Fantastic, many thanks guys! So excited for this.

By the way, on the vapenorth store the shape of the WS looks different from the one sneaky pete shows in his review video, does anyone on here have a clue which of the two shapes it is? The one on the store page shows ring-type patterns at the top and bottom of the log, in the video it's one in the middle of the log. Just intrigued (and too impatient to wait it to arrive to find out ha).

Yeah. Ed comes out with a new model every year that's a new shape!

For example, this is my 2017 model:
IMG-0167.jpg

And this is my 2018 model:
IMG-1226.jpg

Last edited:

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Yeah. Ed comes out with a new model every year that's a new shape!

For example, this is my 2017 model:
IMG-0167.jpg

And this is my 2018 model:
IMG-1226.jpg

Absolutely stunning mate! How on earth does wood do what it does on the 2017 model. Just awesome. How much variation do you see between the two devices (different voltages, heater dynamics etc)?

Ramahs

Absolutely stunning mate! How on earth does wood do what it does on the 2017 model. Just awesome. How much variation do you see between the two devices (different voltages, heater dynamics etc)?

I don't see any difference in performance that is worth mentioning.

The only difference I see is in heir heat insulating efficiency.

(However, this year's model has a more powerful heater than either of mine)

The 2017 is Mexican Katalox, which is a reasonably denser wood than the Maple that the 2018 is made out of. That means that the Maple log gets a little warmer to the touch when it's fully heat-soaked than the Katalox log. Plus, I run mine between 9 and 10 on the temp dial (I don't have a voltage type temp controller, just the standard temp control dial that goes from 0 to 10).

And yeah, these things can really crank out the vapor enough to easily fill a medium size glass piece. Check out this tall glass of milk created by my 2017 Katalox model (the herb in the bowl was not scorched at all!):
IMG-2006-3.jpg

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Hello fellow WS owners,

I've had my WS for about a week now, and been able to put a few bowls through it. I don't have any water pipes yet, so I've just been experimenting with the wooden stem + DV tip and the all glass stem. I like the taste a bit more on the glass, but the wooden stem + DV innards seems to cool the vapor a bit better--I assume TI conducts heat a little than glass so is able to pull more from the vapor. So far I've been starting at like a 6 - 7.5 on the dial (I believe the new heater due to when it was produced) and increasing towards the end of a bowl to try to finish it all off--some of the final hits towards 8.5 can be pretty hot and leave me coughing.

However, there is one wrinkle of disappointment I wanted to check on. The DV tip is awfully tight on the WS heater. Its pretty tight when both units are cool, but after it sits on the heater for a few seconds and warms up its a really tight fit--I can't really spin it while taking a hit, as the stem just ends up rotating around the tip instead of the entire tip on the heater. Its also pretty tricky to get off. I'm not quite to the point of physically yanking it, but I have had to use enough force that I've ended up spilling a bunch of material.

Is this par for the course, or is it possible that with natural manufacturing tolerances I got a heater/tip combo that just don't play well together? Puffitup is willing to take a look at it and I can return it in the worst case. This probably sounds heavy-handed, but its REALLY difficult to use that stem without feeling like I'm just wasting a lot of herbal material trying to separate it from the heater. I'd rather not go through those steps, but I'm having a hard time seeing myself being satisfied with this in the long term. The glass stem + high temp o-ring doesn't have these issues, but its a little harder to pack a smaller bowl and wouldn't ideally be the stem I take along traveling: ideally I'd bring the wooden stem + heater for base camp use and use the DV cap on the go.

P.S. I didn't see a "Best of" thread for WS, but if there are other nice hints/tips and tricks in here feel free to point them out--its hard to find specific info in 120+ pages of content =).

Last edited:
@gordantreeman that can definitely happen due to manufacturing tolerances of the tip. The tips I’ve received from Ed fit perfectly, but other Dynavap tips I have do not fit. I would try to get a replacement tip for sure. It should fit loose so you can turn it easily while hitting the vape and removing the stem should be no problem at all. That’s the intended fit.

grogazola

@gordantreeman that can definitely happen due to manufacturing tolerances of the tip. The tips I’ve received from Ed fit perfectly, but other Dynavap tips I have do not fit. I would try to get a replacement tip for sure. It should fit loose so you can turn it easily while hitting the vape and removing the stem should be no problem at all. That’s the intended fit.
Interesting. I was just about to order 2 Ti tips and glass stems. What are the chances these tips don’t fit?

grogazola,

grogazola

Dynavap tolerances are crazy. I have 2 ti tips and both are too loose for my liking. I have 2 M´s tips and one of those gives me a perfect fit so I use that one.

What’s wrong with too loose in your opinion? Seems like you would get a nice airflow that way. I’m a newbie to Woodscents though! Just tryna learn!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
What are the chances these tips don’t fit?
Pretty good, I purchased around 6 extra tips trying to get a better fit, mine are all loose bar one. The problem with the loose-fitting units is balancing them when inverted on a bong...very tippy!
I would rather a tighter than needed fit as other members have stated before as you can custom fit it to your liking by using sandpaper on the tip until it fits perfectly to your liking.

LesPlenty,
Reactions: grogazola

gordontreeman

Thanks @letter never sent et al. From reading this thread, it sounds like its not uncommon to have fit issues with a few DV tips, but most users have a few on hand to try until they get a reasonable fit. As a new vaporizer, unfortunately I don't have any extra tips lying around. It sounds like PuffItUp will be able to take care of me (or at least take a look), but it requires sending the whole unit in, unfortunately. Maybe its something for Ed to add to his bench test checklist? I'm not sure what his relationship is with DV as far as getting stock and returning some, but maybe just popping a tip on the heater to make sure its a reasonable fit before shipping it out?

I'm not trying to throw a more than reasonable amount of work or costs his (or anyone else's) way, just thinking about it from a new user's POV. Its maybe not the ideal new user experience to have a tip that either doesn't fit or requires them to take sandpaper to their new $300+ vaporizer!

@gordantreeman FWIW, the two tips I’ve received directly from Ed fit perfectly. I wonder if Ed checks them before shipping, or if he gets a special shipment from DV for his WS units. @Ed's TnT Would you be able to share some details on this?

I do agree it can be frustrating buying a new tip and not having it fit properly. I would suggest buying directly from Ed, but I know the shipping costs can be high if you’re not located in the US.

gordontreeman

@letter never sent I'm not sure how any of that works either. I would have happily bought directly from Ed, but he was out of stock when I was ordering--he confirmed that PuffItUp was an authorized distributor, so I picked one up from them. It seems like it was all a big kit from Ed, but maybe they add in their own tips or something and didn't think to check that.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
My DDave 14mm glass wand for DV TIPS, came with some slightly larger O-RINGS (brown color), and I also bought some extras. I use these in conjunction with the stock DV (light grey) o-rings. Since glass stems I.D. tolerances can vary, these thicker ones are good to have. Not sure where he sources them.

RustyOldNail,

jardri

Vapor Dreams
What’s wrong with too loose in your opinion? Seems like you would get a nice airflow that way. I’m a newbie to Woodscents though! Just tryna learn!

Nothing wrong, but I had some options to choose so i picked my favourite

jardri,

gordontreeman

Ed's heaters are uniform...it is the Dynavap tips that are all over the place with testing my 9 different tips. :2c:
I don’t have micro calipers to test this, but I absolutely can see it. Idk if dynavap does their production in WI or offsite, but I imagine as they aren’t built with log heaters in mind their acceptable variance on the inner diameter of the tip is like +/- a mm or thereabouts. Note that I’m not knocking them at all. The dv is also a brand new experience to me, but for what it is it’s mind-blowingly good, and punches extremely high above its price point! I just need to figure out how to stay on the low temp side of things—I’ve got a single torch lighter, and heating the cap near the tip starts great but after a heating cycle or two seems to not extract any more vapor without moving down the cap.

Regarding the o ring suggestions, it’s not so much that the tip doesn’t fit in the stem well as that it’s just very tight on the end of the heater. I did try the high temp o-ring that’s used with the glass stem (e.g. placing it on the heater to prevent the dv tip getting stuck as it slides down further). It helps to some extent, but it’s still a tight fit when heated and would be less than ideal inverting the log for use with a WP.

gordontreeman,

ginolicious

So VAS has hit me again. Really looking at a log now. Just can’t decide if I should grab the lite kit from sneaky Pete. I just don’t like the gnarly stem he tosses in for free. Love Ed’s wooden stem with condenser. I don’t need all the extras either. I think I’ll just use it as traditional log though. Can this log handle glass stems with screens like enano and underdog? I am in Canada that’s why I’m talking about sneaky Pete. But I don’t need all the extras and the money is tight.

gordontreeman

gordontreeman,

grogazola

Love Ed’s wooden stem with condenser. I don’t need all the extras either. I think I’ll just use it as traditional log though. Can this log handle glass stems with screens like enano and underdog? I am in Canada that’s why I’m talking about sneaky Pete. But I don’t need all the extras and the money is tight.

I got the lite kit. I ordered two glass (hula) stems, a WPA, and two extra Ti tips from planet of the vapes Canada - cost an extra $175 snowpesos........

I actually bought a couple of hydravongs for the Woodscents to get that wood on wood vibe, but I way prefer glass stems. I’m using the gnarly stem and it’s not ideal but the taste through the glass stem is awesome. Just my two cents though...........

Last edited:

Ramahs

Yeah, I mostly use the glass stem with Dynavap tip if I'm using it dry.

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
So my 2020 WS lite kit arrived today, but I seem to have some issues. I've been using my vvps at its highest (11.8v) which on my underdog is too much but even then got no/barely any vapour from the WS, but it is very hot to the touch. Also the tip that came with it doesn't fit over the WS tip, neither do any of the other vapcap tips I have. Is the tip of the WS actually meant to go into the vapcap tip for the 4mm or whatever it is or just kinda join at the slightly slanted inner rim of the vapcap tip? Also the WS make a rattling noise, even when I hold a finger on the tip where the CCD is.

//edit: also, no idea if this is relevant, the inner part isn't really centred but tilts to one side to the WS tip is slightly angled by a few mm.

Last edited:
sunyata,
Top Bottom