drzen

something I want to understand... ss316 vs ti... in some other forum I saw that ss18tip weights 5.8gr while Ti tip is like 3gr
and 2 resources I was checking, other than the other forum, say that Ti is denser than ss316 - how is it possible? density isn't = mass/vol , and the vol of the both ss316 and ti tips are pretty much the same?
So Ti should be less denser because it hass less mass?
then what makes it heat up/down faster? the the conductivity coefficient?

It's perfectly logical - Because Ti is less dense (has less mass per unit volume), it heats faster than SS, because there is less metal to heat in the same volume tip. It cools faster for the same reason. Also, the Ti stems and tips are noticeably lighter in hand for this very reason - less density. Thats why they use Ti for aircraft parts, not steel.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Just learned that the silicone master adapter fits very well in the Al Lotus stem. I just used the smaller adapter with both a DV stem and a Terp pen. :tup:

Planck

believes in Dog
It's perfectly logical - Because Ti is less dense (has less mass per unit volume), it heats faster than SS, because there is less metal to heat in the same volume tip. It cools faster for the same reason.
It does seem logical but there is no direct relationship between mass and thermal conductivity. A better relationship exists between electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity. Take the heat shield tiles on the space shuttle for example. Their mass is exceedingly low but the thermal conductivity is so low you can hold a red hot chunk in your hand comfortably.

Ti's thermal conductivity (chart here) is much higher than steel's.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I posted this on Reddit too, but FYI cigarette holders that are a standard 8mm will hold a DV tip. I bought a pipe-shaped one on Etsy, and it works perfectly with my Hotshot.

:2c:A small caution of note.

Be careful as some of the cigarette holders sold are smaller then the requisite 8mm for
The VapCap tip (they are for slim cigarettes, like Virginia Slims, etc).

Otherwise, cigarette holders offer a wide variety of possible stems for a VapCap tip.

QF1994

:2c:A small caution of note.

Be careful as some of the cigarette holders sold are smaller then the requisite 8mm for
The VapCap tip (they are for slim cigarettes, like Virginia Slims, etc).

Otherwise, cigarette holders offer a wide variety of possible stems for a VapCap tip.
Good point! I asked the seller of the one I got off Etsy to measure the opening for me first and he was happy to check it, but absolutely, it has to be for a standard and not a slim cig.

drzen

It does seem logical but there is no direct relationship between mass and thermal conductivity. A better relationship exists between electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity. Take the heat shield tiles on the space shuttle for example. Their mass is exceedingly low but the thermal conductivity is so low you can hold a red hot chunk in your hand comfortably.

Ti's thermal conductivity (chart here) is much higher than steel's.

It's stainless steel, not regular steel. SS is 15 W/m K and commercially pure Ti is 17. They are close enough and both actually poor conductors.

drzen,
Reactions: kel

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I just ordered a Ti tip

I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about :sherlock:

I've been enjoying the low temp cap, although I am struggling a little bit to justify the cost because it's just the same really, just the click happens at a different time, it does help me take my time and slow me down though, which I like, but there's no reason why the same effect could not be achieved by simply marking time elapsed in the IH. No regrets I guess, when the new tip turns up I will have two complete systems - that has to be a good thing right :freak:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Only 2 @kel ? ;] I bought a Ti tip for the very same reason. Still looking for the hype. It works and all that but still prefer my SS tips more. I married it to a nice long stem to make it special :)

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Haha yes, but I seem to have a nice little selection of stems and swap around quite a bit :love:

If nothing else - half the weight will make one particular stem I have feel lighter, it's the one I hold as though it was a joint - it's already an excellent experience, so lets see...

Duba

Accessory Maker
In my experience: the Ti tip works best indoors and gives slightly better flavour (when used with flower).
I prefer the 2019 SS tip in every other situation
I have the impression that the 19ss tip takes longer to heat up than the Ti tip so I find it less practical outdoors. Why do you say the Titip works better indoors?

Duba,

Steamer

I have the impression that the 19ss tip takes longer to heat up than the Ti tip so I find it less practical outdoors. Why do you say the Titip works better indoors?
I prefer the heat retention of stainless steel for outdoor use, probably has more to do with the climate over here (cold and sometimes windy)

GoldenBud

How much people tamp down their bowls so the load can be somehow far from the "click mechanism" so there will be less hotspots/dark color on the bowl? Tried it today, after long time which I never tamped down the herb. slightly tamped it.... and I like it! it gives stronger high.....the bowl can be finished at 1 long hit or 2 (I don't close the airport of my M20 at all, SS19 tip)

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Vaporware

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
Hey all im having a 710 sale that runs 7/5 - 7/15 everything is 10% off. I have some interesting things I'm listing as well as a few glass stems from way back when

OGBVC1.jpg

IMG-5085.jpg

Stand-a.jpg

Stand-b.jpg

IMG-5071.jpg

Stand-c.jpg

Vaporware

How much people tamp down their bowls so the load can be somehow far from the "click mechanism" so there will be less hotspots/dark color on the bowl? Tried it today, after long time which I never tamped down the herb. slightly tamped it.... and I like it! it gives stronger high.....the bowl can be finished at 1 long hit or 2 (I don't close the airport of my M20 at all, SS19 tip)

I press mine down lightly to keep it from touching the cap. It helps stop the top of the bowl from charring and improves airflow through the bowl I think.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I always do this with pressed cbd pollen too, but all that happens is that it falls down into the cap as it dries out and becomes 'loose'.

@RogueGuy - good luck with your sale, I would, but I am in the UK ... and nothing may ever enter or leave our borders ever again (okay, that's totally not true, but it feels like it some days :argh: )

kel

FuckMisogynists!
thanks @kel, I have been sending a lot of stuff to Europe lately

That's fantastic, long may it continue!! :tup::clap:

I hope civilisation can evolve to the point where international trade like this is commonplace, inexpensive, tariff free etc. and life in general slows down a little bit and there's more of a sense of waiting for things being a good thing again :)

I do import things every so often, but it is always as a last resort and only if I absolutely have to, it does involve extra expense, perhaps about 1 time in 10 a bit of hassle too, and every so often it just fails :worms:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Hey all im having a 710 sale that runs 7/5 - 7/15 everything is 10% off. I have some interesting things I'm listing as well as a few glass stems from way back when

OGBVC1.jpg

IMG-5085.jpg

Stand-a.jpg

Stand-b.jpg

IMG-5071.jpg

Stand-c.jpg

Consider putting a link in your SIG to your site:

Top Bottom