Texus

Only just released but Tectonic already got a Sneaky Pete Product of Year Award

I've had Tectonic since NYE, and it is great. A more refined Shell Shock. There is an airflow band near the mouthpiece that has a learning curve (my main complaint is that there isn't a manual or tips or an instructional video, but maybe that is coming from them or a Sneaky Pete review).

But it hits really hard, super versatile, with a lot of great design touches. Iike this approach to the adjustable ring mid-body a bit more than on the Shellshock. Big fan, and very much still in the getting-to-know-you phase. Can't wait to dial everything in (esp once my FLite IH arrives...).

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Can’t wait for your ( earth shaking ) review on this new VapCap stem.

Meanwhile, I had just put in an order for one. 🤗

Last edited:
stark1,
Reactions: sag

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I've had Tectonic since NYE, and it is great. A more refined Shell Shock. There is an airflow band near the mouthpiece that has a learning curve (my main complaint is that there isn't a manual or tips or an instructional video, but maybe that is coming from them or a Sneaky Pete review).

But it hits really hard, super versatile, with a lot of great design touches. Iike this approach to the adjustable ring mid-body a bit more than on the Shellshock. Big fan, and very much still in the getting-to-know-you phase. Can't wait to dial everything in (esp once my FLite IH arrives...).

How HEAVY is this beast?

RustyOldNail,

Copterstyle

FWIW i'm not a super fan of the Tectonic stem. For me it was way too airy. Even with all the airflow rings closed air was still getting through the edges of the ring. I didn't like it for this reason. Felt like i wasn't getting the best hit I could be getting. I'm the type of guy that goes carbless or block the carb permently though.

How HEAVY is this beast?

I measure 41 grams without a tip.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
FWIW i'm not a super fan of the Tectonic stem. For me it was way too airy. Even with all the airflow rings closed air was still getting through the edges of the ring. I didn't like it for this reason. Felt like i wasn't getting the best hit I could be getting. I'm the type of guy that goes carbless or block the carb permently though.

I think "airy" is a good way to describe my shellshock. I like it, but it is not my favorite stem for that same reason. Even with the airport closed completely off, air must be getting in somewhere else because the resistance is not what it is with my non-ported stems. I think the lack of gaskets/o-rings might be a flaw more than a benefit in my usage.

I thought I would like having the port open just a hair to get the best of both worlds, but ended up leaving it closed. As I posted earlier, it has become my wpa for when I choose to vape through water, but I tend to vape dry and prefer my little unlined wood stem.

RustyOldNail

I measure 41 grams without a tip.

Thanks, as I surmised, it’s HEAVY, no wonder that spec. is omitted from the sites I checked. I think I’ll stick with my titanium & wood Simrell stems. I like LIGHT stems, but was drawn in by the adjustable airflow, surprised it took so long. Hopefully, down the road airflow adjustments will make it to some lighter stems.

RustyOldNail,

babaganush

That's what I was looking for.

@vandalizedbythelotus - I get you don't have a 20-M tip to look at so this likely moot. The '20 improvement in utilizing an 'infinitely adjustable CCD" meant the full bore of usable setback is 5/16" or 8mm, whatever their spec is. This is the range where the CCD will remain flexed in place. The 'groove' you see is actually a shoulder where the bore is slightly bigger to clear the CCD diameter. My question was in regard to knowing if DV translated this same feature in the same way they handled the 20-M tip on the 77.77 7F-tips. However, I get it, a lot of people mistake the first 'feature' inside the bowl of the '20 tips as a groove. It takes a close look to see it is just a change in diameters.
Oh thats interesting, that does seem to be the case with the 77 fin since there is only one "groove" (or so I thought it was) at the top. I decided to keep my CCD on it anyway because microdosing is nice for a change.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
I think "airy" is a good way to describe my shellshock. I like it, but it is not my favorite stem for that same reason. Even with the airport closed completely off, air must be getting in somewhere else because the resistance is not what it is with my non-ported stems. I think the lack of gaskets/o-rings might be a flaw more than a benefit in my usage.

I thought I would like having the port open just a hair to get the best of both worlds, but ended up leaving it closed. As I posted earlier, it has become my wpa for when I choose to vape through water, but I tend to vape dry and prefer my little unlined wood stem.

Different tokes, I suppose. 😷
On my SS, when closed, it draws hard like some of the first generation tips; dialed open ( using an OG 7F tip ).
And the flow is smooth.

There is a quik & dirty fix, the condenser is screw adjustable, so you can extend it so its end is just inside the
Tip. That should restrict your draw. 😋

This has me scratching my head a bit...though I’m not completely sure why?

Its the “in” thing of late.

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
Only just released but Tectonic already got a Sneaky Pete Product of Year Award

"the upgraded design of the condenser greatly improves performance, consistently pumping out larger than average rips." Sneaky Pete.

Oh please, that sounds like goose poop you Sneaky Goose. :cuss:

Slartibartfast67

Yeah ... been meaning to pick up one of the butane inserts to give it a try and see how long they hold up ... have too many old classic zippos to not give it a go ...
For what it's worth, I have a Zippo brand one, a double flame, that I got from Amazon some time ago. I can't say I have used it a ton, but it has seen some use and has been working perfectly. In retrospect I would have gotten a single flame, but I got it before I got the sticky brick. Fits perfectly, looks nice, and lights pretty much every time you click it. Nice push button ignition.

I use an IH for the vapcaps now so butane is just for the sticky brick for now, and I have been using the honest that came with it, but the zippo insert gets used as a backup and other things and is also great for every day carry.

Texus

Oh, I should also mention that the top airflow adjustment is part of a 510 tip. So easy to just take that out of the equation. Lots of good replacement 510 options out there.

RustyOldNail

Oh, I should also mention that the top airflow adjustment is part of a 510 tip. So easy to just take that out of the equation. Lots of good replacement 510 options out there.

Yeah, another gag borrowed from the ECig world, done years ago, it can be handy...

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Planck

vandalizedbythelotus

That's what I was looking for.

@vandalizedbythelotus - I get you don't have a 20-M tip to look at so this likely moot. The '20 improvement in utilizing an 'infinitely adjustable CCD" meant the full bore of usable setback is 5/16" or 8mm, whatever their spec is. This is the range where the CCD will remain flexed in place. The 'groove' you see is actually a shoulder where the bore is slightly bigger to clear the CCD diameter. My question was in regard to knowing if DV translated this same feature in the same way they handled the 20-M tip on the 77.77 7F-tips. However, I get it, a lot of people mistake the first 'feature' inside the bowl of the '20 tips as a groove. It takes a close look to see it is just a change in diameters.
interesting. ty for clarifying. not sure how that would work with TI tho. anyway looks to me like the 7 fin has 2 distinct grooves. i'm using mesh screens in the smallest setting lately and they are very securely stopped in that groove (they look exactly like the ones on the older TI tips, except the middle one was removed).

Last edited:

Smokey McVape

interesting. ty for clarifying. not sure how that would work with TI tho. anyway looks to me like the 7 fin has 2 distinct grooves. i'm using mesh screens in the smallest setting lately and they are very securely stopped in that groove (they look exactly like the ones on the older TI tips, except the middle one was removed).

Don't like the look of this tip. It looks like a drunkard was employed to grind the air channels on the tip edge. I would return it if I paid money for it - I sincerely hope you didn't.

Top Bottom