jabba

I have a single torch insert, but I don't like it that much and prefer my cheapo €5 torch. After about 5-10 seconds the flame cuts out. Maybe I just have a bad insert though (original insert).
I'm sorely tempted to try one of these zippo inserts. If it worked well and efficiently....it would be seemingly ideal.

Last edited:

Vaporware

It’s important to remember that there are several manufacturers of torch inserts for Zippo cases and some are probably more or less reliable/easy to use/etc. Mine is a couple of years old and probably wasn’t the best model to begin with, but I’m interested in trying another...maybe the actual Zippo single flame? :sherlock:

I don’t use torches as much since I got an Induction Heater, but it still might be a fun one to carry around. :)

Smokey McVape

Ordered some zippo inserts along with some more aomai torches.

For who has the zippo inserts, how do you like them? How long does a fill last? I ordered the single and double.
I have both the single and double variants and prefer the double because the single can't compete with an Aomai torch so you have both bases well covered! 🔥🔥🔥

stark1

Lonesome Planet
hey does anybody know when the new 11,780-fin tip is coming out?

Ill “vote” for it.

Also interested in the “jet pax” for the SS/Tec.
i assume they are drip tips to enhance cooling. Cool shit.
Cat GIF

SomnusViduus

you want the wizard or the skull?
Ill “vote” for it.

Also interested in the “jet pax” for the SS/Tec.
i assume they are drip tips to enhance cooling. Cool shit.
Cat GIF
oh, i haven't really heard about those...
i HAVE spent all day looking at different drip tip options online, though.
some pretty interesting stuff out there.
i never really vaped e-liquid or any of that so this whole part is new to me.
that damned M was a gateway to VAS, i swear.
i got it because it was the 'cheap' vape option lol.
just a couple hundred bucks later and still feel like i'm missing things i (don't actually) need.

Maryland Vapor

I love my Zippo brand single flame insert, bought from Amazon. I use it for probably 9-12 heat cycles per day, and purge and fill the 3rd evening (general rule, not exact science).

Also,I finally received my BB3 with the 2020 tip yesterday afternoon. My first impression is that the airflow is greatly increased from my older '17m tips, but don't know how much of that is the BB3 yet. Loving it thru water so far.

notams

toke down Babylon
My impression /review of Shellshock and Tectonic.

Both have a great feel in the hand. Nice bulk. I'm a single flame torch guy. So, I need something to hold onto. As a comparison, I cannot spin my Simrell Vortex 'shorty' (M length) very easily. It's too thin and light. But, both the Shellshock and the Tectonic are a joy to spin. Tectonic is slightly more bulky and heavy.

I had trouble locating the air hole on the Shellshock due to it being flush with the stem. That 'problem' was fixed with the raised ring for the airhole on the Tectonic. Both varieties are infinitely adjustable from 0-100% open in seconds. As a comparison I find both of these perform better than the Omni at dialing in airflow consistently. Also, I enjoy the ability to see how the airflow is set just by looking at it - something not possible with the Omni.

The ability to use any 510 drip tip is a huge plus. The drip tip on the Shellshock was crap - tossed it. The tip the Tectonic is cool and has the ability to add fresh airflow post condenser. Hard to explain but, cool. However, it wasn't for me - not tapered enough to feel good on the lips. As a comparison the Vortex and the Simrell Stinger feel great on the lips.

Included in my Tectonic was extra rings in gunmetal color for the airhole and on the mouthpiece. Nice touch. But, I don't know if this is included standard or was extra. It did allow me to switch and swap parts to make Frankenstein vapes. My Shellshock is Black. With the SS Tectonic and the extra gunmetal rings it's fun to mash up different colors and textures.

Both have cooling fins built into the stem. It's cool looking but I don't know how functional. The Tectonic has slightly thinner fins and one more. I think it was designed to look great with 7fin tips - which it does.

The Shellshock is not able to completely close fresh air. Even with the hole 100% closed you can feel and hear air leaking in all over. So, there's that. The Tectonic is a definite improvement. With the air hole closed it's a tight little pipe with no air leaking in anywhere.

One thing that was disappointing is the condenser that screws in was not centered on my Tectonic. I should have snapped a pic. It was literally off center so much that I couldn't put a tip on it. I bent it straight with my fingers. It works perfectly now. But, how the hell did this past QC? So, that makes it hard to heartily endorse either one as the best thing since sliced bread.

Overall, the price is great for what you get. The Tectonic is better. I like it being all steel. Great weight and feel. The knurling and texture seems more geared to a torch / flame use than an IH. The raised airhole ring is the main difference between the two and merited the Tectonic the better device. However, I got an extra ring in my Tectonic order and put it on my Shellshock. If the raised ring could be sold separately for a few bucks you could convert a Shellshock to be about 90% into a Tectonic.

This is a great cheap and fun baddition to anyone looking for a good steel spinner. Otherwise, they're both sorta... meh. Not bad, just not amazing.

I do find it interesting that DV sells it on their site and Sneaky Pete declared it 'product of the year' or some craziness only 12 minutes after it was released. So, maybe I'm missing something. But, oh well - that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
The Shellshock is not able to completely close fresh air. Even with the hole 100% closed you can feel and hear air leaking in all over. So, there's that. The Tectonic is a definite improvement. With the air hole closed it's a tight little pipe with no air leaking in anywhere.

Good review.

I found that the air flow can be customized with the screw adjustable condenser, from free flow, to
bugeyed difficult. YMMV 🤗

The air port can then be used to further customize the draw.

stark1,
Reactions: notams

Adobewan

I received one as well from our good friend at VGoodieZ(if you haven't shopped here yet, you haven't met your new best buddy yet. True FC spirit!).

I switched out the vent rings for the gunmetal ones, it's beautiful, but I confess, I can't figure out how to use it. I love my M, my original glass beta, and my cousins Omni(the King!). I've got both holes closed on the Tektonik and as @Copterstyle has said, it's airy. For me, the open draw diminishes the control and the punch of the hit. I'm wrapping my index finger 3/4 of the way around the raised holes to block them and covering the top holes with my mouth but that's really not doing it and I can't imagine that's the proper usage.
Hoping a seasoned Shellshock vet or a fellow Tek owner can edumacate me.

@stark1 Could you be specific about extending the condenser as a fix?

Further revealing my ignorance here, what part is the drip tip? I'm guessing it has to do with the threads within the mouthpiece end.

notams

toke down Babylon
@Adobewan you know the funnel shaped condenser you screw down? Well, partially unscrew it to 'extend' it Omni style into the tip, thus reducing airflow.

Big plus for me is I prefer SS tips to Ti. I can't use SS with my Omni. So, having this option, which should have been explained by the manufacturer with a 'how to' in the packaging, is very nice.

And shout out to VGoodiEZ as well. Excellent customer service.

@Demonic chronic I have several styles of Aomai lighters, including this one.

Pros: Easy and fun to use, great small precise flame for a SLOW and deep bake. Very small. Disapears in pocket.

Cons: Cant hold enough butane to finish one load. Seriously, this is TINY. I quit using mine because I would literally fill, purge, and top off three of them to leave the house. Completely impractical if you desire to do multiple loads with one butane fill. But, perfect if you want to look great while the flame quits mid heat cycle.

Vaporware

That looks like a standard Aomai torch to me. If so, a lot of people here like them and I’ve been happy with mine. If you’re looking for a single flame I’d recommend it, as long as you’re good with the flint lighting mechanism and the slider that turns the gas on and off.

Edit: @notams Is it really that small of a tank? I haven’t used mine extensively, but I remember it lasting multiple sessions...is this model an even smaller size than the ones we usually see around here?

maremaresing

I have a single torch insert, but I don't like it that much and prefer my cheapo €5 torch. After about 5-10 seconds the flame cuts out. Maybe I just have a bad insert though (original insert).

You need to purge it, friend.

Ordered some zippo inserts along with some more aomai torches.

For who has the zippo inserts, how do you like them? How long does a fill last? I ordered the single and double.

I have the single, and it's the best thing that ever happened to my dynavap. Fun to fiddle with a zippo for sure, and the single flame gives gargantuan clouds. Lasts me about 4 days of use on a fill, which is enough given it refills in 2 seconds.

Top Bottom