ghost

Looks like an early 2nd Gen 7 fin, @FlyingLow .
(The much coveted 7th fin on the right)

@kenske : Touché!

Man, I obviously haven't paying attention to the progression of the vapcap, lol. The only two I have owned are the 3rd and 4th in that picture. The 3rd one in the pic has been one of my daily drivers since I bought it with a Ti Woody XLS a few years ago and still gets daily use. I didn't even realize they changed the design until I ordered a new tip during the recent black Friday sales.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Man, I obviously haven't paying attention to the progression of the vapcap, lol. The only two I have owned are the 3rd and 4th in that picture. The 3rd one in the pic has been one of my daily drivers since I bought it with a Ti Woody XLS a few years ago and still gets daily use. I didn't even realize they changed the design until I ordered a new tip during the recent black Friday sales.

If you decide to sell your less favored tip, HMU! Bud! 😊

ghost

If you decide to sell your less favored tip, HMU! Bud! 😊

Sorry man, I actually just put it back into rotation. After I saw those new shell shock stems, I bought one to go with that tip.

Prior to that though it had just been sitting around mostly unused, (unless I swapped it into my Ti Woody body) as it was originally the tip that came with the Ti Glassy I bought. I broke the glassy stem after the Glassy had already been discontinued, so I couldn't get a replacement, but before the booming market of stems that are available now came to be.

ghost,
Reactions: stark1

thunderstealer1337

7fin le is just all hype imo, it's not better or worst then standard ti or ss tips, I sold mine and you won't believe what I got for it

Because they wanted to cut costs.
Not really, anybody that knows machining will tell you these ss or ti tips are literally pennies to make, and this is why I'm disappointed in the growth of dynavap, they are dropping the ball hardon qc, tbvh the costs to produce these things ti or ss at production volume scale is probably $5-10 each cap tip condenser stem, the most expensive is the manual labor to assemble them and qc them imo

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
That’s rich! Coming from a capitalist/entrepreneur like yourself, my friend. :popcorn:

Of course I couldn’t help but notice, over the years, as ‘Caps became close to becoming a (stoner’s) household name,
The cost went up.

That’s OK, I am happy with VC’s line of minimalist vaping.

On a side note, as a glutton for punishment, I went for another one of these—purported to be the 2021 version. We shall see.

I need help!

stark1

Lonesome Planet
IIRC @Pipes always has some eye candy with his creations.

Donno about marshmallows, but I like gummy bears.

Oh No What GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

stark1,

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I wasn’t happy with the dark wood spinning mouthpiece on the 14/18 WonG. But, I do love the Ti mouthpiece on it. Now I have it in my head that I need a Ti Simrell spinning mouthpiece so this baby can be a 10/14/18 W/TionG?👀
D2C633B7-0B8B-4B6A-84C9-67EAB442D85E.jpeg

The Stray Fox,
Reactions: GoldenBud

hinglemccringleberry

7fin le is just all hype imo, it's not better or worst then standard ti or ss tips, I sold mine and you won't believe what I got for it

Not really, anybody that knows machining will tell you these ss or ti tips are literally pennies to make, and this is why I'm disappointed in the growth of dynavap, they are dropping the ball hardon qc, tbvh the costs to produce these things ti or ss at production volume scale is probably $5-10 each cap tip condenser stem, the most expensive is the manual labor to assemble them and qc them imo
The 7 fins outperform the 5 fins on a molecular level, though most people would never notice a difference.

If DV didn't discontinue the 7 fins to save money, then why DID they discontinue them? That's an odd thing to change for no reason. They sure as shit didn't do it to increase performance. Id wager that they did it to cut a corner financially in a way that has basically no consequences. The 5 fin tips use less metal than the 7's. And when were talking a mass produced piece of titanium, thats no fart in the wind. It also saves time making something less intricate (i.e. less fins) yet it's subject to a negligible performance decrease that most people won't notice, but over the long haul, the time and/or money saved adds up. To me it just smacks of a wise business decision.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

when you're using ss tip (or any tip) with a wooden stem you remove one of the tip's o-rings? or it depends which stem?

GoldenBud,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
when you're using ss tip (or any tip) with a wooden stem you remove one of the tip's o-rings? or it depends which stem?

I would think it would be based on the stem. Including is it bare wood or lined with a condenser. My unlined wood stem came with a recommendation from the maker to remove an o-ring. But the tip fit nicely without any modification. And it has been my DD for the last several months.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: GoldenBud

thunderstealer1337

The 7 fins outperform the 5 fins on a molecular level, though most people would never notice a difference.

If DV didn't discontinue the 7 fins to save money, then why DID they discontinue them? That's an odd thing to change for no reason. They sure as shit didn't do it to increase performance. Id wager that they did it to cut a corner financially in a way that has basically no consequences. The 5 fin tips use less metal than the 7's. And when were talking a mass produced piece of titanium, thats no fart in the wind. It also saves time making something less intricate (i.e. less fins) yet it's subject to a negligible performance decrease that most people won't notice, but over the long haul, the time and/or money saved adds up. To me it just smacks of a wise business decision.
I thought the 7 fin was never discontinued because it was never a released product, and was done in very short revisions with short lifespans, and the one that everyone really wants was a special run done by dynavap per users request.

We haven't seen any changes now on the ti tips, for awhile.

Also you sound like a person who was sold on the marketing of titanium, the tolerances on these pieces are wiiiiiiiide open, meaning joe schmoe on a lathe in their garage can produce these things. There is no precision anything, machine shops in high school can mass produce these things.

And yes mass produced things means prices get cheaper, the cost of titanium will blow your brains if you buy it in bulk, I dont need to go into this further, just literally take your stem and tip to a machine shop and ask them how much it time/$ it would take to make 1, then how much it would take to make 100,000. Take the cap to a sheetmetal shop and ask them how much to cut and weld the cap together for 1 and 100,000.

I stand my ground, the most expensive thing is paying the human to assemble the orings, tip, stems and cap do some qc (if any) and place it in a storage container. Total costs of material is definitely less then $10

hinglemccringleberry

I thought the 7 fin was never discontinued because it was never a released product, and was done in very short revisions with short lifespans, and the one that everyone really wants was a special run done by dynavap per users request.

We haven't seen any changes now on the ti tips, for awhile.

Also you sound like a person who was sold on the marketing of titanium, the tolerances on these pieces are wiiiiiiiide open, meaning joe schmoe on a lathe in their garage can produce these things. There is no precision anything, machine shops in high school can mass produce these things.

And yes mass produced things means prices get cheaper, the cost of titanium will blow your brains if you buy it in bulk, I dont need to go into this further, just literally take your stem and tip to a machine shop and ask them how much it time/$ it would take to make 1, then how much it would take to make 100,000. Take the cap to a sheetmetal shop and ask them how much to cut and weld the cap together for 1 and 100,000.

I stand my ground, the most expensive thing is paying the human to assemble the orings, tip, stems and cap do some qc (if any) and place it in a storage container. Total costs of material is definitely less then $10
What do you mean the 7 fin was never a released product? Sounds like you're not familiar with the 4th gen 7 fin tip that came standard on Ti DVs 4-5 years ago, before the M existed.

hinglemccringleberry,

vaporculture

"What is the other stem, other than the ShellShock. Kinda looks like a recycled SS pen case! Very nice and discrete looking!"

The stem on the right is a SDS (@stardustsailor) creation. He is an excellent craftsman and artist and made a bunch of very cool Titanium worked stems. He has an accessory thread if you want to browse his previous work. Hasn't been seen very much around here recently, I think his life has become significantly busier in the last few years...

jabba

This tip discussion, wow. One usually has to go to facebook for this level of expertise and insight. Carry on. :brow::lol:
Right? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in this group....peering into posters' personal lives. I'm guessing that there is not a lot of dating going on...even pre-pandemic lol.

More seriously....I too like to hear others geek out on this stuff. Occasionally I glean a nugget of truth.

Top Bottom