• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

dotLeaf

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
DotLeaf_Alex (Reddit AMA)

Score hidden·26 minutes ago

during our long initial testing process, we only had 1-2 tanks fail so we expect a fairly good lifespan out of the chambers as long as you keep them cleaned periodically. I always recommend cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and you should be able to wash them out with that as well without damage.
They are recommending to use ISO which I find interesting after the comment from @Abysmal Vapor.
Carbon Black (if Black)
I guess we shall see!

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
@khelek41girl Maybe it will be best if they share the specs of the material given to them by the supplier ,so we dont have to explore any possible grade out there,cause it already makes a mini mess in my head,lol. Sadly i dont use reddit,but i asked already by mail,which might take some time to get back at.
-----------------

Gjddhjd
Score hidden·29 minutes ago
When will new ovens be available? Now that we know that swapping batteries with a hot oven can throw off the resistance (seen it myself, nearly combusted at level 1, it sucked) I’d like to have a spare oven so that a drained battery doesn’t force me to switch to a different vape mid-session.
level 2
DotLeaf_Alex
Score hidden·26 minutes ago
https://dotleafofficial.com/products/dotleaf-replacement-chamber
you should currently be able to order them now...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
bluephoenix38
Score hidden·30 minutes ago
If I was to go to your website and order it now would it have the updated black oven?
DotLeaf_Alex
Score hidden·13 minutes ago
Negative, we currently made a very limited run to alleviate specific issues that a few customers have experienced, we are working on mass production changes for the near future however the current oven design overall still functions correctly even with minor heat cracking.
_--------------------------------------------
Isnt that a bit of contradiction ? First saying you can order them. Then a minute later replying to another user with negative.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: arb

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
They are currently working on doing an AMA here on FC at some point in the near future. I believe they are working things out with the Admins, so once that is scheduled, we should be able to have all these questions answered

Last edited:

maremaresing

I laugh at you pitiful peasants with your single oven. Also I've always said the dotleaf should have shipped with 2. It's a swappable oven, after all. Lean into it, like the furna.

Although the AIS only comes with one of each. And the $160 msrp of the dotleaf is so low already that they probably didn't want to pad the price with even more accessories. They could have charged for the adapters, too, and I think those are more valuable.

purpletweed

I believe they are working things out with the Amins

As an Amin by birth, I approve their AmA :razz:

Re: material used, Alex wrote the following:
DotLeaf_Alex

I will have to get the specifics on the formula that we are currently using however here is a rough generic answer to that. As this is the external component and well away from the Heating element is should never reach or exceed this listed operating temperature.
Polybutylene Terephthalate (PBT) is a high-performance thermoplastic that is an optimal choice for food processing applications, as it is FDA- and USDA- approved for use with food. ... PBT is solvent-resistant at room temperature and can withstand a continuous operating temperature of 230° F

buckhakeesah

Here to report my first combustion event with the dotleaf. I blame myself a bit. I already ran it at level 3 the night prior and was hoping to finish off what was in there after work today. I put it at level 4 and poof....white wall!

I had to do a deep clean on the chamber and iso soaked it. So after the soak, put it all back together again. I was able to run it on level 4 with an empty chamber to speed up the drying process. I have the dotleaf plate cover on the heating chamber side removed while doing this so I can then blow throw the dotleaf while the chamber is heating up and the air vents out whatever condensation through the top of the heating chamber. I'm careful not to breathe anything in and just blow out while it is heating things up and drying the chamber internally. Seems to work well and speeds up the cleaning process but I always worry putting my face near 18650s. Should I be worried, the software should protect right?

Last edited:
buckhakeesah,
  • Sad

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
First of all, the medal for most civil discourse held on an Internet forum this decade goes to @Abysmal Vapor and @maremaresing. Not even being facetious here, well done for staying nice. Also clearly both have good points.

As for dotleaf, I'm happy they're now engaging with the customer base in a more public manner. Although I also think they should have just registered an account and then started posting here, directly respond to complaints/concerns, sort out their issues with input from the community and then go on to do a full AMA on reddit or wherever once the product is working smoothly. Just seems that FC is more of an enthusiast space where you can polish your product, vaporents is more of a "look at my mighty" or "should I get a mighty?" type platform where final products are promoted (not shitting on vaporents or mighties here ha)... But I'm not their PR department, so hey.

As for the material, I have no idea, my education is not in chemistry, I presume someone at dotleaf googled it before they made a new oven out of it but who knows. I very much appreciate the input from members who have the necessary education to make statements on that front. Those temp number don't look super high though, not that the plastic itself should reach 220°C but it's pretty close to some pretty hot stuff aye.

All in all it looks pretty promising, they're working hard on this and they're trying hard to make things right (even if they mess up, my sincerest condolences to @SixStringToker who is staying admirably civil despite the bad luck with dotleaf's product and CS). I wouldn't be super surprised if the black tanks turn out to have some issues of their own (maybe they spontaneously transform into spiders once they reach a certain temp or are looked at the wrong way) and then we'll all be looking forward to the new purple oven. But given how quickly this drama unfolded, I'm pretty optimistic that one day the one oven to rule them all will come. I ordered around Xmas, when o rings were the issue and cracking ovens were still in the upcoming-surprise-stage, now we're two weeks into January and the first people have/are being sent their new asbestos ovens, that's a pretty quick turnaround. And (correct me if I'm wrong) so far noone has had something bad to say about a non-defective device. Once the mithril tank has come to wash away ultem's sins we can all just enjoy how much of a little beast this machine can be.

SixStringToker

Naked member
my sincerest condolences to @SixStringToker who is staying admirably civil despite the bad luck with dotleaf's product and CS
It wasn't easy. I'd just returned from the funeral home after making arrangements for my mother who died from covid on Tuesday (my father died from it a few months ago). I saw the box from dotMod and thought "Yes!!! This will be a good distraction!" only to open it up and find the same shitty ovens that have been giving me problems. It was a struggle to quietly put them in a drawer with the device and walk away rather than just tossing everything in frustration.

I do have to say that ice cream and GG4 cure everything... at least temporarily.

SixStringToker

Naked member
Thanks @maremaresing; it's been a rough couple of days.

Not letting things drift too far off-topic... I am still hopeful for the dotLeaf. I really like the design and my gf has nothing but high praise for her dotAIO. If they can resolve these oven issues, the only thing I'll have left to complain about is the intentional misalignment in the vapor path, which probably doesn't affect performance, so that's just me being nit-picky.

darco

@SixStringToker The replacement chamber I received is Ultem too, but has a different (sharper) top cap design than the one that came with my DotLeaf. I have done 5 bowls until now in the new chamber and so far its working fine and there are no cracks yet. You may want to give your replacement chamber a shot, minor differences in machining might just land up providing the right amount of pressure at the contact point and you may get lucky with your replacement chamber.

maremaresing

That was my thinking too. In that case, you lucked out. Aside from the cracks and sharp lid, the first gen ovens are choice. You can use your 2nd batch smooth tops on them, too.

@sunyata do you put those spacers on top or bottom? If they get the holes misaligned it could block airflow, so maybe the top is best? Have you been using it?

SixStringToker

Naked member
@SixStringToker The replacement chamber I received is Ultem too, but has a different (sharper) top cap design than the one that came with my DotLeaf. I have done 5 bowls until now in the new chamber and so far its working fine and there are no cracks yet. You may want to give your replacement chamber a shot, minor differences in machining might just land up providing the right amount of pressure at the contact point and you may get lucky with your replacement chamber.
Mine appear to be physically identical to the original three; same colors and outside mechanical dimensions. While the ultem in the new ones might appear to be more transparent, that's just because the new ovens haven't been "seasoned" with a layer of oil on the inside like the original ones:

50838239026_e044f430d7_o.jpg

The cracks are so bad on one that I can actually see into the oven through one and they can be felt on the outside. This is more than cosmetic.

I haven't heard a peep out of dotMod support and I don't think I'm going to touch them again until I do (if I ever do). I have enough decently performing vapes to where I really don't need to get lucky with this one.

maremaresing

I'll have some pictures of my hard use month old oven later today. Been meaning to write up a post. Basically, the cracks you see in oven 2 are not "cosmetic" and I don't think that's what dotleaf means. At least I hope they don't, because that's unacceptable.

My first run oven has small cracks that are what I'd judge to be cosmetic, and I think I caused them myself.

maremaresing,

SixStringToker

Naked member
Basically, the cracks you see in oven 2 are not "cosmetic" and I don't think that's what dotleaf means.
I can only go by what dotLeaf tells me. dotLeaf responded to my original customer service request by telling me that they'd identified the cause of the cracking and that it was cosmetic but that they'd be sending replacements out once the first batch of chambers with the new material arrives. Technically, they did that... 😡

SixStringToker,
  • Angry

arb

Semi shaved ape
Mine appear to be physically identical to the original three; same colors and outside mechanical dimensions. While the ultem in the new ones might appear to be more transparent, that's just because the new ovens haven't been "seasoned" with a layer of oil on the inside like the original ones:

View attachment 5323

The cracks are so bad on one that I can actually see into the oven through one and they can be felt on the outside. This is more than cosmetic.

I haven't heard a peep out of dotMod support and I don't think I'm going to touch them again until I do (if I ever do). I have enough decently performing vapes to where I really don't need to get lucky with this one.
Now they are replacing with a still mystery black material......RUN!

Easywider

Simple is the way
Blows my mind that they still have these chambers available for retail. In their AMA they stated "some" users had issues with cracking. Some :hmm:

maremaresing

Now they are replacing with a still mystery black material......RUN!
Hey now, we already established that it's likely to be either spiders or unicorns. Please don't spread disinformation that it's a mystery material.

Blows my mind that they still have these chambers available for retail. In their AMA they stated "some" users had issues with cracking. Some :hmm:
Probably easier to say than "oh god oh god oh god most crack to some degree but they still work so don't stop buying it". To be fair, I'm putting a batch 2 oven through it's paces right now on temp 4 and it has no cracks or defects so far. And my batch 1 oven has very very minor cracks that aren't worsening.

Such an incredible vape, though. It could shock me every 5th use and I'd probably still love it to death.

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
I wouldn't say its a "mystery black material" since we know what it is. Whenever they do their AMA here, we can ask all the questions we want, but they have at least given us some information to work with. The materials seem to be safe, and even seemed to satisfy @Abysmal Vapor to some extent (I know everyone still has some reserves about the new material, myself included, but lets at least give them a chance to go into more details.) I know we don't have specific lab specs or anything, but when they were asking me about doing an AMA here, I told them specifically to bring their "A Game" and be prepared for technical questions. I let them know that this community here is interested in details and facts, so hopefully when that time comes, they will be able to answer everyone's questions.

In regards to still shipping out Ultem ovens, I agree that that needs to stop until the final rendition of the oven is done. That's just setting customers up for a bad experience, and wasting their own money on unnecessary shipping, wasting manpower on unnecessary customer service issues, etc. I would do things differently like most of you, but it's not up to me, so I'm just along for the ride while they get things figured out.

Personally, I have had an all around pleasant experience so far with DotLeaf and DotMod in general, and while I see that they have some issues that they need to get worked out, I will continue to follow their progress and support them. I've seen enough companies go through this to know that it will either make or break them, but I can most assuredly say that if all we do is complain and raise a fuss...they wont waste their time on us. Customer service will start to go downhill, they will blow off customer service issues, you'll get bigger and bigger gaps in communication, the free replacement stuff will stop, etc etc. Things can get much worse...just look at some of these other vape manufacturers out there who are struggling now that they've been run into the dirt. I won't name names for this threads sake, but I'm sure they are easy enough to figure out. We have a part to play in all this too, and we can just as easily fail them as they can us. As consumers, lets help build them up rather than trash talk these companies that don't immediately and instantly cater to our every whim. We should be above all this. IMO, I think DotLeaf is responding very quickly to overcoming issues and unforeseen problems that they have come up against, and they are doing AMA's to remain transparent. These are all things we have verbally stated that we wanted from the other companies that are failing us on a regular basis, so when a company actually steps up to make things right, lets try and be good consumers, and give a little faith.
Again, I don't work for them, I don't get paid in any way by them, and I paid full price to them to get my Dotleaf. I was also one of the ones to help get a discount established, which was graciously extended beyond the 10 people it was supposed to help to cater to all of you as well. I just like the product and enjoy helping the community. I have no skin in this game other than the $170 that I invested with my order.

Top Bottom