dotLeaf

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
The description of the chamber on dotleafofficial says "Chamber is made out of ultem casing and a ceramic inner chamber with a tungsten metal heating element."

I couldn't find much information about tungsten as a heating element for vapes. There are conflicting opinions re the safety profile, some say it's toxic, some say it's basically inert and is safer than SS with no chromium or nickel which makes it a better choice for those with nickel allergies.

Hopefully I'm not breaking the safety discussion rule, but I'm curious about what others think since I've never heard of tungsten being used as a heating element in a dry herb vape before.
Had similar concerns. A simple search for ‘tungsten toxicity’ will uncover numerous amounts of info on the potential health hazards. Tungsten has the second highest melting temperature of all metals and why it was/is used in incandescent light bulbs way before neon and LED lighting were introduced. Tungsten is a good choice for repeated heat up and cool down cycles.

The maker has other alternatives, but one can find similar health warnings on Stainless and Ceramics. Loving everything about this little pocket rocket and will wait to see how this all flushes out.

Expecting a severe reprimand for going off topic. :)

maremaresing

The silicone case you mentioned is made by JoJo. Great company. I’ve bought many of their mod cases over the past few years.

That's great to hear! I'm worried about the mouthpiece cap not staying on the smaller dotleaf mouthpiece, which is important to me to keep it sanitary. I'll probably still end up with one eventually.

Ended up getting two Desce pouches because I'm a sucker for neoprene and little pouches. So many color choices! It should make it easy to keep the mouthpiece out of the way when not in use, as well as removing the dotleaf to swap ovens or batts.

Now if someone could make an oven loading funnel that fits where the oven top goes. And a small case for spare ovens.

purpletweed

Looks like the DotLeaf discount is over! I was toying around with picking one up and noticed that the code no longer works.

Easywider

Simple is the way
Just got this guy in the mail. Came really nicely packaged with the pelican style case. It's smaller than I had imagined really stealthy.

So far I've done a session(3min ) on lvl2 another 1/2 session on lvl3 and another 1/2 on lvl4. The taste was great, I much prefer it to some of my other ultraportables.

Here are some photos of abv and size comparison with some friends.

fun.jpg

IMG_6422.jpeg

Edit: I filled the chamber fully then tamped it down to 50% and filled it full again, weighed it at 0.15g

Last edited:

SmokeDogg

Interesting lid o-ring! Mine is white. Mine must be an early version then, serial number in the 1XX.
@Easywider could you make a pic of the oven place without the oven in, pointing your camera at the o-Ring under the mouthpiece gasket?

Easywider

Simple is the way
Interesting lid o-ring! Mine is white. Mine must be an early version then, serial number in the 1XX.
@Easywider could you make a pic of the oven place without the oven in, pointing your camera at the o-Ring under the mouthpiece gasket?
Yeah I think I have the updated parts but I’m not a 100%

Here’s the oven ring
A6772480-BFAA-498F-B16D-5C5B00032BD9.jpeg
80768FB0-80E8-46EC-9F68-63037EB80F68.jpeg

Last edited:

maremaresing

Oooh grats on your new dotleaf. Did it come with a different mouthpiece than earlier versions, too? I'm curious about the differences.

Looks like the DotLeaf discount is over! I was toying around with picking one up and noticed that the code no longer works.

FYI you can still get a "first time order 10% off" at vaporDNA by giving them an email address to send newsletters to. Some people get charged state tax, some don't, ymmv. They do ship 2day fedex for free.

Tweakz

Just got this guy in the mail. Came really nicely packaged with the pelican style case. It's smaller than I had imagined really stealthy.

So far I've done a session(3min ) on lvl2 another 1/2 session on lvl3 and another 1/2 on lvl4. The taste was great, I much prefer it to some of my other ultraportables.

Here are some photos of abv and size comparison with some friends.

View attachment 4809

View attachment 4810

Edit: I filled the chamber fully then tamped it down to 50% and filled it full again, weighed it at 0.15g
Great . Can you compare dotLeaf vs Tinymight?

Easywider

Simple is the way
@Easywider Very nice. The whole kit looks to be first class. Question: Did you stir to get that even roasted results on the AVB?

no stirring required. :clap:

Great . Can you compare dotLeaf vs Tinymight?

There really different beasts. Maybe this could be the conduction session version of the TM. It likes to give short bursts of large vapor then it likes a few seconds to catch up.

maremaresing

The past couple days I wanted to "stress test" the battery and maybe chamber by heating up for a few puffs each time. Basically heating it up to Level 2, and taking one or two before shutting it off again, and doing cool down pulls each time. This started with a fresh oven and charged battery.

Even with all that, the LED turned blue right about when the oven was about done. I went to Level 3 and got a handful of clouds before the load had no more. Not sure how much is realistically left in a battery with a blue LED level. Maybe another session or two?

While I'm sure you could conserve battery by doing back to back sessions and not letting it cool down, the last time I tried that I greened out. Otherwise, even doing full sessions of back to back clouds, it's been almost exactly "One complete oven to just past Blue" which is consistent and handy.

Use the DotLeaf however whenever and 1 Load=1 Batt, and you get seemingly endless clouds from both.

@marduk Good catch on that discount!

@Easywider Thanks for laying it all out there. Looks like both the mouthpiece and the case are longer. Mouthpiece should make for a slightly cooler puff, though of course it's 510 so we can all pick the mouthpiece we like best (unlike most vapes).

Let's me use this little guy again (though I have other tips on the way)

8f9dcCy.jpg

Last edited:

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Looks like both the mouthpiece and the case are longer. Mouthpiece should make for a slightly cooler puff, though of course it's 510 so we can all pick the mouthpiece we like best (unlike most vapes).
8f9dcCy.jpg
First thing I did was to order a pipe style 510 mp I think should work well ha. Would metal mouth pieces help reduce the heat or just heat up themselves super quick and then make it worse?

RobbIt

The past couple days I wanted to "stress test" the battery and maybe chamber by heating up for a few puffs each time. Basically heating it up to Level 2, and taking one or two before shutting it off again, and doing cool down pulls each time. This started with a fresh oven and charged battery.

Even with all that, the LED turned blue right about when the oven was about done. I went to Level 3 and got a handful of clouds before the load had no more. Not sure how much is realistically left in a battery with a blue LED level. Maybe another session or two?

While I'm sure you could conserve battery by doing back to back sessions and not letting it cool down, the last time I tried that I greened out. Otherwise, even doing full sessions of back to back clouds, it's been almost exactly "One complete oven to just past Blue" which is consistent and handy.

Use the DotLeaf however whenever and 1 Load=1 Batt, and you get seemingly endless clouds from both.

@marduk Good catch on that discount!

@Easywider Thanks for laying it all out there. Looks like both the mouthpiece and the case are longer. Mouthpiece should make for a slightly cooler puff, though of course it's 510 so we can all pick the mouthpiece we like best (unlike most vapes).

Let's me use this little guy again (though I have other tips on the way)

8f9dcCy.jpg
With a fully charged 18650, I went through 2.5 full (lightly packed) bowls until the battery died.

Easywider

Simple is the way
I haven't killed a battery yet but I had 4 chambers on my VTC6 with the light on blue when I charged. I'm averaging 2 sessions on higher temps and 3 on lower before I empty the chamber.

I'd love to see half pack chambers in the future, a size that would completely extract in an avg session around level 3.

I find the heat from level 4 native to be comparable to max temp on a grasshopper, it's hot and harsh but you only need to take a 2-second draw for a satisfying exhale so it's really not too bad especially if you like to hit MTL.

Murph101

Any UK folks picked up one of these yet? I have seen a few UK retailers but waiting to see if they have the newer updated parts.

Was looking to get a FW7 originally, but a small conduction based vaporiser, that can put out clouds like the dotleaf may be a good substitute (and avoid customs tariffs). Has anybody used both to compare?

maremaresing

Whoa, you all are getting way more out of your batteries than I expected. It must have a lot left in it when it hits blue, and I need to push it more. Fantastic news!

FWIW I'm using Samsung 35E 18650 3500mAh 8A cells (they are pink!). Now that I have 3, it's so easy to keep them on the rotation on the charger. Haven't touched the USB charge cable yet, though it's nice to have in an emergency (with pass through too).

I find the heat from level 4 native to be comparable to max temp on a grasshopper, it's hot and harsh but you only need to take a 2-second draw for a satisfying exhale so it's really not too bad especially if you like to hit MTL.

I've been afraid of combustion on 4, but now I'm totally trying this.

First thing I did was to order a pipe style 510 mp I think should work well ha. Would metal mouth pieces help reduce the heat or just heat up themselves super quick and then make it worse?

The metal mouthpiece has better airflow, and looks cooler, but honestly I prefer the POM that comes with the device (until my new ones arrive). Since this is used in short draws, the metal doesn't start to get uncomfortable until the end of the session. That said, the POM mouthpiece never heats up and has a nice restriction for good draws.

That metal 510 mouthpiece on my Thermavape T1 Convection vape will almost leave burns, due to the nature of long pulls of hot air.

maremaresing,
Reactions: endof3d

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
I've been afraid of combustion on 4, but now I'm totally trying this.
Its next to impossible to combust with the Dotleaf. You can even use it on temp 4 in boost mode, 15° additional, and it won't combust. I live on temp 4 lol. That said, I did combust once, but that was my own fault. I stopped it mid thermal cycle while in heat up, and it screwed things up until I popped out the battery. At that point, it reset and has been fine since.

Also, don't forget that there are mouthpieces with airflow control in them that could help cool down the vapor if youre worried about that. I've got one and it works great!

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying theirs as much as I am! I'm so glad I jumped on board early!

Easywider

Simple is the way
I find the Dotleaf really likes slow pulls, If I draw at convection speed it seems to instantly overpower the heater and I get a whispy disappointment.

@maremaresing I can get really dark ABV but no signs of combustion yet. I just did a long slow pull max temp with boost engaged for the sake of science.

IMG_6434.JPG
IMG_6438.jpg

This one was starting to taste charred last cpl hits. I think this was one 3min session but I also think that when I activate boost mode it cancels the session cut off because I've never had it time out on me after I've activated boost I've always had to manually end sesh.

khelek41girl

Accessory Maker
Are there any airflow tips you’d particularly recommend?
You know, the one that I have came from a very old Arctic Fox tank from 2014, but I know there are still some on fasttech.com.

Here's a few that I found!

Total search results...

Top Bottom