• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Do you like coffee?

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
20221206-165425.gif

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Just started a new job halfway across the country and doing the live in the motel until I can find a local place deal. Totally spaced on bringing an AeroPress along for my first week, no worries I can use a new one for the new office anyhow. Went to the local Target and got a variable temp kettle for $25, but the standard AeroPress is now up to $45!

At least I will finally have good coffee again tomorrow morning!

Dustin McKief

@NYC_Frank it just occurred to me that coffee is similar to cannabis in that there is definitely a paraphernalia aspect! That looks like a killer setup for 'two great tastes that taste great together'.

Lately, I've been getting in to pour over with light roasts (e.g. Sidamo) for my afternoon cup. My first 'real' and revelatory coffee experience as a teen was a pour over setup and I'm reminded of that every time.

I'm now using Tetsu Kaysuya's 4:6 method with a Hario V60 and Baratza Encore. 😋

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
*disclaimer: if you love your cup that’s the only vote that matters.

With that out of the way, I’ve always been curious what people get out of pour over that they don’t get out of a drip machine? In both cases you drop heated water from above that is then gravity fed through the grounds and filtered. Physically there is no difference in the process, is it just the hot plate on a drip machine?

Madtater

I have never noticed a difference in a drip machine (love my ninja), or pour over gravity drip in taste or strength.

The only device i have ever used that i noticed a difference in taste/strength in comparison to the above is a french press.

Honestly, i wish i had time to use my french press all the time. I dont think that i have ever had a machine that comes close to quality cup of coffee a french press delivers.

Dustin McKief

That's fair. Versus an autodrip, I appreciate the freshness and comparative ease of making a single cup that I can savor. I also enjoy the ritual. There is a difference in the amount of water & timing vs autodrip (see link I shared before for the details). The first 2 pours affect sweetness/acidity which matters to me for light roasts (I like to bring out the sweetness). For darker roasts, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

I originally got this pour over setup for backpacking, and decided that I'd practice at home. Once I started enjoying it, I kept doing it for my afternoon cup with light roasts.

I used to use a french press for car camping, but switched to a clever dripper to avoid the mess. I do really enjoy french press if I let the sediment settle to the bottom and I don't drink the last sip. Amazing flavor!

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I, too, prefer to make each cup on demand with freshly ground beans. Each cup is as fresh as the last. I use mostly an AeroPress, but I acknowledge that a pour-over seems to provide a more nuanced cup. To me, an AeroPress cup is similar to an Americano: espresso diluted with boiling water. I used to even roast my own beans until my home roaster caught fire in my garage and I decided my hobbies ought not burn my townhome down.
My main gripe about electric coffee pots is the water is seldom hot enough at brew time to properly extract the coffee.

gotbadvas

Today I had some Dunkin Dunuts beans which was something I have never had. The beans aren't too bad kind of a medium roast I would say but could pass for a light roast. Enjoyed with a bowl of tropical thunder caviar in my Thermal Accumulator.

What kind of coffee setups are everyone using? I am using a large Clever Dripper, 1zpresso JX grinder, and a cheap little scale I have for measuring weed. Also have a 6 cup french press and a small melita pour over. Had an original Orphan Espresso LIDO grinder which I had to sell when I became ill years ago and couldn't have coffee anymore.

Dustin McKief

Today I had some Dunkin Dunuts beans which was something I have never had. The beans aren't too bad kind of a medium roast I would say but could pass for a light roast. Enjoyed with a bowl of tropical thunder caviar in my Thermal Accumulator.

What kind of coffee setups are everyone using? I am using a large Clever Dripper, 1zpresso JX grinder, and a cheap little scale I have for measuring weed. Also have a 6 cup french press and a small melita pour over. Had an original Orphan Espresso LIDO grinder which I had to sell when I became ill years ago and couldn't have coffee anymore.
I'm with you on DD dark, it kind of surprised me how good it is!

So you want to talk about BAS now? ;^)

Baratza Encore for home grinding. For brewing, I have my Oxo 9 cup, which is very good for group consumption, Hario V60 for myself (4:6 method), and a Hario Mini Mill Slim with Clever Dripper for camping.

Dustin McKief,
Reactions: gotbadvas

gotbadvas

For brewing, I have my Oxo 9 cup
That looks like a nice one. I am a loner so I would simply drink 9 cups of coffee though which I prolly already do. If I do have to make coffee for a group I will do multiple batches in the clever or dual wield with my 6 cup french press.

Dustin McKief

That looks like a nice one. I am a loner so I would simply drink 9 cups of coffee though which I prolly already do. If I do have to make coffee for a group I will do multiple batches in the clever or dual wield with my 6 cup french press.
Oxo have since released a smaller 8 cup which gets higher praise and it can do a single cup, but I haven't tried it. I love my Clever because it's like french press simplicity with a clearer cup (my preference) and a finer than FP grind means excellent flavor. For a single, fresh cup in the afternoon I really love my V60 although I haven't tried other pourovers.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
How do you like the grinder it was on my list but since I don't do espresso my JX will do. I like hand grinders.

Loving every minute of it .... fast grinder with ultra fine quality grind through the espresso range. I've had the La Pavoni since 1991 but have made do with store ground up till now ... this is much better and a lot more fun ...

Top Bottom