Do you like coffee?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've had many french presses, but have still not yet tried an aero press...though I've been meaning to for years.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Arco Espresso Grinder ☕

20221008-070453.gif

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Coffee is one of those things that makes you realize how strongly addiction impacts your senses. That picture looks, smells and tastes delicious. If there were no caffeine involved I would bet that I wouldn’t find it so appealing.

Jess

New here. Been a coffee drinker for many years, but mainly espresso for the last 15. I have had several machines and have settled into my end game machine which is an Olympia Cremina. Most of my machines I have bought used, sometimes fix them up and then sell them. I've had the Cremina which is a lever machine for about 5 years. I've had different machines from a Starbucks Barista, E61 machines and a dual spring lever that I'm rebuilding.

I have also roasted beans before using a Behmor. It's good just want to upgrade it as I have reached my limits on roasting with it. I have been enjoying local coffees instead until I get a new roaster.

The approach I take when brewing coffee, regardless of the method, is to try and eliminate as many variables as possible. The temp of the water for example. If you keep it at the same temp then you can focus on the other parts of the extraction. That way you can replicate and get the same results or at least try.

Here'a YouTube video of the Cremina next to a Quickmill Andreja which I sold. I think there may be older videos there too of other machines.

https://youtu.be/eMh7_gRCvCI

All this coffee talk makes me want one. About to make and americano. Cheers!
~Jesse

Inforit

Coffee has to be made by weighing the complexity of brewing to the enjoyment of the end result. I’ve gone thru Pavoni, Turkish pots, moka pots etc. and have settled for a manual drip with natural paper coffee filters. Cones. Drink three cups in a S/S insulated mug per serving. After testing, where I’m at is best.

Timps27

My camping buddy drinks pre-ground Folgers, and I give him endless grief about it. But he knows it’s all in good fun; if you’re happy with your cup that is the only vote that should ever matter!

1973PortlandToker

My camping buddy drinks pre-ground Folgers, and I give him endless grief about it. But he knows it’s all in good fun; if you’re happy with your cup that is the only vote that should ever matter!

That's easy to fix. Inform your friend that ground coffee can contain up to 10 percent cockroach litter. The FDA allows up to 10 percent insect litter in ground coffee, including cockroach bodies (and roach turds). I'm not joking.

The solution is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself. Coffee grinders are inexpensive and the quality of whole bean coffee is much better than ground coffee, anyway.

Okla68

That's easy to fix. Inform your friend that ground coffee can contain up to 10 percent cockroach litter. The FDA allows up to 10 percent insect litter in ground coffee, including cockroach bodies (and roach turds). I'm not joking.

The solution is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself. Coffee grinders are inexpensive and the quality of whole bean coffee is much better than ground coffee, anyway.

ALL Commercially processed food is Allowed to have a Percentage of Rodent Hairs, Insect parts ! Wow, didnt know it was as high as 10 percent tho. This is by the FDA. !

Okla68,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Sam's club's store brand coffee Member's Mark is some of the best I've had. Roach turds and all. It's pretty much all I ever drink since I discovered it.

Last edited:
Cheesequake,
  • Love
Reactions: vapviking

EarthworldTim

Switching from pre ground to whole beans was the biggest improvement I've had in coffee quality personally. I used to buy large bags of ground Peet's or something from Costco and if you don't consume it fast enough it tastes really stale and bad.

Friend of mine roasts his own beans and his coffee is the best I've had that wasn't fresh from a shop.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Switching from pre ground to whole beans was the biggest improvement I've had in coffee quality personally. I used to buy large bags of ground Peet's or something from Costco and if you don't consume it fast enough it tastes really stale and bad.

Friend of mine roasts his own beans and his coffee is the best I've had that wasn't fresh from a shop.
I have a La Pavoni Pro i bought in 1991 and just finally am getting a Bplus Apollo Manual Grinder (combo bday/🎄gift from my wife and son). I cannot wait till Christmas morning 😎💨☕

1554783419850178560.gif

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Um does that FDA rule mean that there actually *is* cockroach stuff in ground coffee? I kinda doubt it. But happy to live in the EU. 😬 I do agree though, grinding coffee yourself is probably the biggest upgrade one can do, even before exotic single origins or using fancy machines from Italy.

My most recent coffee adventure: when I visit my roastery, I will almost always buy a bag of Monsooned Malabar, which has been my favorite for quite some time now. A few weeks ago I thought I did the same, but when I got home I saw that I bought „Monsooned Robusta“ instead, also from India and also processed via the same monsooning technique like the Malabar – but I always despised robusta coffee unless it's an espresso, which I hardly drink anyway. Then I did some research and found out that this particular kind of robusta is actually a „Canephora“-variety, which is only one of many different robusta varieties. Or something. Anyway, I gave it a try and it's actually quite fantastic; malty chocolate, a fine boozy note and strong hints of petrichor / geosmine earthiness. And much much more caffeine than your common arabica. Highly recommended!

Okla68

Um does that FDA rule mean that there actually *is* cockroach stuff in ground coffee? I kinda doubt it. But happy to live in the EU. 😬 I do agree though, grinding coffee yourself is probably the biggest upgrade one can do, even before exotic single origins or using fancy machines from Italy.

My most recent coffee adventure: when I visit my roastery, I will almost always buy a bag of Monsooned Malabar, which has been my favorite for quite some time now. A few weeks ago I thought I did the same, but when I got home I saw that I bought „Monsooned Robusta“ instead, also from India and also processed via the same monsooning technique like the Malabar – but I always despised robusta coffee unless it's an espresso, which I hardly drink anyway. Then I did some research and found out that this particular kind of robusta is actually a „Canephora“-variety, which is only one of many different robusta varieties. Or something. Anyway, I gave it a try and it's actually quite fantastic; malty chocolate, a fine boozy note and strong hints of petrichor / geosmine earthiness. And much much more caffeine than your common arabica. Highly recommended!
DONT "DOUBT IT" ! There is a certain % of Insect Parts and Rodent Hairs Allowed in Commercial processed foods Set by the FDA !

Okla68,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
DONT "DOUBT IT" ! There is a certain % of Insect Parts and Rodent Hairs Allowed in Commercial processed foods Set by the FDA !
OMG! I JUST HAD TWO PEPPERIDGE FARM MILANO COOKIES!
.....with a hot cup of coffee; pre-ground Dunkin Donuts made in a Mr. Coffee drip machine.
I do use filtered water, 'cause one can't be too careful these days.

Okla68

Look at if as Extra Protein. Guess yall dont watch any of the Survival shows. Most Survive on Fruit and Insects. Many countries its regular table fare !

Okla68,
Reactions: Timps27

Timps27

Lol, that was my dad’s stock reply when camping and some food fell in the dirt. “Brush it off, it’s just extra protein.” Okay dad.. :lol:

Timps27,
Reactions: Okla68
Top Bottom