Dablamp E-Rig

badbee

Hi, I was the winner of the Dablamp giveaway last week and got to try it for the first time last night. First impression is of something well made to very tight tolerances. Top grade for their quality control. The base is made of metal, very solid and could be used as a home defense weapon. The glass is well made with no odd seams or ridges. The inserts fit perfectly with no gaps but slide in smoothly without any worry of jamming. It is very well packed in the box with foam inserts. The box took a beating from the post office and was marked up but the internals were fine. It would take a massive crushing force to do it any harm in shipping.

The instruction booklet is a little hard to interpret, it reads like something written by a person with excellent knowledge of English but who doesn't speak it as their native tongue. Once you are using it everything becomes more clear, the interface is very simple, in a good way. Slide the main switch to the left, push the activation button for 2 seconds and she starts to heat. There is no precise temp control, just three power settings, and that seems to be all that is needed, it just works. Wait for 15 - 25 seconds with the bubble cap in place and it starts to vaporize. You can select from the three power levels by multiple presses of the activation button. It seems confusing from the manual but in practice it is easy, the colored LED makes it clear what setting you are at.

I really enjoyed the couple of hits I took in this preliminary assessment. Note that this is my first use of a dedicated electric dab rig, I usually use solid concentrates with flower in regular flower vapes. I can't say how this unit will compare to other all-in-one electric dab rigs. It worked fine for me delivering solid hits which were as big as desired and expected. So far it has only been used on the default middle power level.

Looking into the main opening you see a coil that looks very familiar to anyone who owns an induction heater for vapcaps. So of course I had to try that. It heats a vapcap in about 8 seconds and requires you wait for about 3 seconds past the click to get a solid hit. This is fairly typical of a higher powered IH. To be really convenient as an IH it would benefit from an insert that allows deeper insertion than the supplied glass meant for the dabbing bucket. Battery life isn't known yet but I expect it is a 3S battery and will last a very long time.

Pros:
- Elegant simple styling with pleasing (rather than harsh) LED lights to indicate power level
- Feels very solid, assembly of the pieces is easy and precise
- Super simple to operate, just push the button
- Works as well as any IH for heating a VC
- Reasonably small for a dab rig (but not pocketable)
- I expect the battery life will be good but haven't confirmed that

Cons:
- Glass could be thicker, it won't survive a drop to a hard surface, even in the sink extra care should be taken
- I wouldn't take this out of the house without a dedicated foam insert case to protect it, the glass bits are small and easily dropped
- Only 3 power levels, no precise temp sensing, it's likely less powerful than some units

If you are interested in a new dabbing device you should definitely look into the Dablamp.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice! Yeah remember there are not really three power levels, just three auto time shut off settings, there's only one power setting really... You can control the length of time it is powering the heater is all... I kind of like that simplicity here now that I understand it!

badbee

Nice! Yeah remember there are not really three power levels, just three auto time shut off settings, there's only one power setting really... You can control the length of time it is powering the heater is all... I kind of like that simplicity here now that I understand it!
That's the part in the manual that isn't very clear. It does seem to "just work" and what else matters?

Are you experienced with other battery powered dab rigs? How does it compare?

Shit Snacks

That's the part in the manual that isn't very clear. It does seem to "just work" and what else matters?

Haha yeah I was communicating with them, hearing it from them, and finally figuring it out myself, is what made it click, and I gave them a lot of feedback how to change it for the manual... The naming of the two modes was also confusing imo Hopefully improves!

Are you experienced with other battery powered dab rigs? How does it compare?

Not very, more of a question for Ask FC though of course ;) I only have a little of experience with Sai+ and bottomless banger, some cheap ceramic bucket atomizer erigs, my buddy has the source versa though I have never tried it only seen him use it...

badbee

I tried it again last night and it worked great. With the typical short grain rice sized bit of crumble I could barely hold the hit (and I have hot knife cough control learned in my youth). It wasn't particularly hot, just dense. It vaporized very clean with only a slight trace of oiliness left in the banger, the QTip hardly looked dirty. This thing definitely works.

It took me longer to get it back out of its box than it did to load and take the hit. Left ready to go on a shelf I can't imagine anything that would hit faster.

badbee

Here is a poorly executed video of the Dablamp in action for anyone curious. As usual, me in the garage next to the mops and brooms. That's OK, I like it in there. That bit of wax was smaller than it appears, maybe 0.03 g, but was still too much for me to completely finish in one hit. I really like how fast and idiot proof this thing is. Drop in a chunk, slide the master switch, push the button, wait for a 10 count (or start as soon as vapor appears) and off you go. I alternate between using the "continuous" and smart modes and don't have a strong preference. In the first mode you hold the button the whole time and in the second you don't but need to hit the button to stop it when done (to save battery and protect the buckets). There is very little left to wipe out with a cotton swab.

I've been experimenting with it dry out of curiosity but will go back to using water as it's just a little too harsh dry.

Edit: I forgot to blow out the hit in the video frame so what you saw was the very end when I remembered to exhale downwards. Troy and Jerry don't need to worry too much about me stealing their viewers :)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Happy Sunday All,
I’m just getting into these e-rigs, thanks to Dablamp and my Ispire Wand from Scott at VGoodieZ, so here’s a newbie question, what are pearls and does anyone use them in these e-rigs?

Pearls are usually another material, you can use quartz, but typically people use Ruby or Sapphire or silicon carbide pearls, in 4 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm or even 10 mm sizes? The idea is if you are using a proper spinner cap, it causes the pearls to spin as you inhale, adding more hot surface area to your dabs from all angles, I've honestly never tried them myself so I don't know how it affects the experience of the vapor effect smoothness or flavors? I also don't know if anyone that has been using them in an eRig like this, I do think one like this in particular could do it pretty well because it has these little courts inserts but they are pretty small, it would be cool to get like a ruby insert probably, but I think for pearls you would maybe need a different type of bubble cap??

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I do not think pearls will help as much with IH-powered dabs compared to other styles unless they are metal or metal-enclosed like the quartz cup.
They are great for other styles of e-rig that give you more heated surface area for your dab to vaporize on like in my Dnail where all the material is at a set temp before starting.
Worth playing with all the same., cannot hurt anything experimenting :tup:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

LesPlenty

Company Rep
kind of stacking to what carb cabs are doing already.
They do a lot more than what the carb cap does in my Dnail and quartz, they give more surface area and in the case of my Halo I can have a slow pulling dab to the point of wispy vapor, then a short sharp suck will get the pearls spinning and give you another vapor burst.
Not tried pearls in the Dablamp...yet but I have only used the device for one sesh so far (on one large dab that gave multi hits) and have been erring on the side of caution and turning the power off as soon as I see vapor and this seems to give similar hits to 450-475f on other dab surfaces.
More testing to come as I head bush for the holidays tomorrow with the Dablamp and AC power inverter on hand (I will have to find a 12v to 8.4v power adapter soon).
So a nice future upgrade would be to the USB smart fast charge that can do multi-voltage input.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have been using the Dablamp quite a lot since getting it. The controls are simple once you get to use the device.
I am finding that I like to use the session mode (to enter simply swipe the slide switch to the 'On' position and wait for 3 seconds before hitting the push button to activate the IH, if you hit the push button straight after the slide switch it enters 'On-Demand' mode where the IH fires as long as you press the button).
Starting on the green setting (default when turned on) on a cold cup I will start pulling when I see vapor, the green light turns off after heating up but the cup holds heat long enough for 3 or so pulls before it fades.
I then change to the low (blue) mode and do the same again, wait for the session led to go out then have at it for another 3 or so puffs and repeat until the dab is gone (just before the quartz is dry).
Following is what happens when you session without paying attention while watching the Matrix,
before,
1641111006971.jpg
After,
1641111006953.jpg
It took 3 days of soaking in SimplGreen (swabbed each day, no scraping) to get it like new again.
The SiC bowl can be torch cleaned without fear of damage and I actually sat it inverted one morning on my DNail SiC Halo to burn clean with it. (Quartz does not like torch cleaning long term).
1641110827613.jpg
I am really liking the bubbler on the unit, it feels like a nice j-hook and just feels nice in the hand and mouth when in use and the visuals of the bubbler are cool when the LEDs are on (when hitting early during heat up for the cold start flavors).
I have also been using the Ispire Wand IH cups in the Dablamp and find them a bit better than the standard setup and I put that down to no exposed metal being heated in the banger and also being a single part makes for quick and easy reloads of multiple cold starts!
The bare metal-enclosed cup I talk of is the is on the left the other 3 are stored ready for use in the Wand bangers,
1639714183388.jpg
And in the background ready to drop in,
1641015459013.jpg
I got an early pre-production unit that has some problems with the glass banger to carb cap fit that does not seal so I will leave any video until my replacement glass arrives. (Bear was straight onto the fix for me)
My new Puffco Peak Pro arrived a day before this so I thought the Dablamp might take a while to get a few dabs through as the PPP is so simple...it has not been the case, this is so much easier to live with as I do not have to worry about charring an $80 atomizer that can never properly be cleaned.
So I could see this unit as being a daily driver as long as you have spare cups (quartz OG or Ispire) of butane for the SiC if you scorch anything.

DogBoy

know fear
...do you think the DABB rig will steal the thunder...???...

...I was very interested in this until you mentioned the Wand cups...we know how I feel aboot those, eh...

...in my limited experience with terp pears they seemed to mostly just smear stuff around...

...I find them more useful in heaters...Bud sent me a mess of them with his G43...

Top Bottom