• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

Haunts

Thanks JCat. That sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, one minute it'll be fully charged and then it will be dead and I know the cell is fine, its also the exact same one as the original that came in my crafty. I'll remove it again and try your suggestions.

hardware

Has anyone had success with replacing the battery in one of the craftys that came with 20% extra battery. I've tried doing mine but the crafty seems to think it's still the old battery and is still only giving me about 1 session.
That seems strange, the crafty might show the same stats as before but should deliver better battery capacity after the replacement. Maybe you got the old and new battery mixed up or damaged a cable?

haven’t experienced any of the issues that Jcat mentions, but electrical discharge can cause strange behaviour, letting it sit for an hour before installing the new battery should help you avoid those kind of issues. If anyone needs a battery pack in EU hit me up as I didn’t find it hard to build at all. Cost is around the same in € as JCats price, although im unsure of the shipping costs.

b0

Cloudy...
That seems strange, the crafty might show the same stats as before but should deliver better battery capacity after the replacement. Maybe you got the old and new battery mixed up or damaged a cable?

haven’t experienced any of the issues that Jcat mentions, but electrical discharge can cause strange behaviour, letting it sit for an hour before installing the new battery should help you avoid those kind of issues. If anyone needs a battery pack in EU hit me up as I didn’t find it hard to build at all. Cost is around the same in € as JCats price, although im unsure of the shipping costs.

Have you tested your batteries in Crafty+ models? I may need one in the future as it seems to be the most common part to fail

hardware

That seems strange, the crafty might show the same stats as before but should deliver better battery capacity after the
Have you tested your batteries in Crafty+ models? I may need one in the future as it seems to be the most common part to fail
Just changed one in a crafty +, opted for a 3500 mAh witch proved to be a waste since the maximum charging capacity is set to 2700 something. Recommend all to opt for the original mAH witch if i remember correctly is 3300 for the crafty + and 2900 for the crafty until a way to change max charging capacity is found.

Will also change in my mighty in a couple of days, probably no cap on charging capacity on the mighty is my educated guess.

badbee

Just changed one in a crafty +, opted for a 3500 mAh witch proved to be a waste since the maximum charging capacity is set to 2700 something.
Don't worry too much about this, it probably has no impact at all on real world runtime of the battery. The circuitry is only capable of measuring voltage and uses that to estimate capacity. With a higher capacity cell it may give you incorrect information about how much capacity is remaining (it will estimate a percentage that is lower than actual) in cells but it will keep going until they reach the minimum cut off voltage.

hardware

Don't worry too much about this, it probably has no impact at all on real world runtime of the battery. The circuitry is only capable of measuring voltage and uses that to estimate capacity. With a higher capacity cell it may give you incorrect information about how much capacity is remaining (it will estimate a percentage that is lower than actual) in cells but it will keep going until they reach the minimum cut off voltage.
Okay, are you sure these values are measured and not set by s&b? Sure some of them are, but I’m not so sure of the design charge capacity. Since the batt I installed was a 3500 mAh and not a 3300 mThese are some of the values I get trough vapemeister:
Operation time: 1046h
Discharge time: 172
Maximum charge capacity: 2794 mAh
Design charge capacity: 3300 mAh
Discharge cycles: 275
Charge cycles: 465

I believe the “design charge capacity” is set by s&b to “prevent” upgrades and what not, all the others values are populated and rewritten to Rom after each cycle/change.

Another note is that 2794 mAh is a little bit more than 80% charge of the 3300mAH, witch seems like a good move to make for S&B to make sure the batteries last longer for the user. So a little bit unsure of that value too, if it’s calculated from the voltage and current or a set value. Jcat mentioned over DM that these values are not the same on different devices.. will have a look at making a couple more battery packs so I can test myself and see how the crafty actually works.

please note that all of my assumptions could be wrong if I got a 3300 mAh battery and not the 3500mAh i ordered :lol:

JCat

Accessory Maker
I have to agree with @badbee that it is unlikely that the mAh values matter that much ... I'm not sure how it would actually read this either as I have no idea how it would (beyond estimation as @badbee mentioned)

I would tend to agree that charge/discharge should only be limited by cut-off voltages, so although these values may impact the accuracy of the battery % remaining estimate, it shouldn't actually have any effect in use.

You may be able to write those values or you may not; some BT characteristics on the device are writable and some are not (ie. if they weren't you wouldn't be able to change the temperature for example!)

Green Kiwi

:popcorn:, very interesting, I Think @hardware is also right, about pre programmed.
The Mighty performed with new higher capacity replacement batteries ,exactly the same as when it came with lower capacity out new.
I think he is right, I think they(I hate talking about they, sounds so fricking conspiracy talk, all those anti vaccine peeps and conspiracy people, always start their sentence with :THEY, I frickin hate it!!!,what THEY??!stupid cunts, and there are way too many of those conspiracy people on the planet, right now.)=S&B , did indeed program this in to the managing chip on their portables.
I am sure we will have a a smart member here whom is into programming chips for devices like this............So I'm calling out to you "smart cookie" to help us as community out with this.
Cheers:bigleaf:.(it must be doable🤞).

Green Kiwi,
Reactions: hardware

hardware

I have to agree with @badbee that it is unlikely that the mAh values matter that much ... I'm not sure how it would actually read this either as I have no idea how it would (beyond estimation as @badbee mentioned)

I would tend to agree that charge/discharge should only be limited by cut-off voltages, so although these values may impact the accuracy of the battery % remaining estimate, it shouldn't actually have any effect in use.

You may be able to write those values or you may not; some BT characteristics on the device are writable and some are not (ie. if they weren't you wouldn't be able to change the temperature for example!)

Was getting tired yesterday posting 😄 Just did the math which I hadn’t yesterday.. 80% of 3500 is 2800 mah so it’s just 6 mAh difference from what would be optimal for the battery, so that truly is negible but still could be worth looking into this for when batteries reach a higher capacity. Will still test to see which values are writeable and which are not.

btw just discovered that my solder contains KOLOFONIUM, which probably shouldnt be used in the vape. Buy a more expensive solder that contains silver and is pure from toxics.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Was getting tired yesterday posting 😄 Just did the math which I hadn’t yesterday.. 80% of 3500 is 2800 mah so it’s just 6 mAh difference from what would be optimal for the battery, so that truly is negible but still could be worth looking into this for when batteries reach a higher capacity. Will still test to see which values are writeable and which are not.

btw just discovered that my solder contains KOLOFONIUM, which probably shouldnt be used in the vape. Buy a more expensive solder that contains silver and is pure from toxics.
Battery is outside of the vapour path :)

hardware

Battery is outside of the vapour path :)
Completely agree with you, but the battery gets hot and I’m not sure at which temperature the KOLOFONIUM releases particles. Even though I’ve used electrical tape it could still be brought in to the intake since the intake is above the circuit?

hardware,

badbee

KOLOFONIUM
I had to look that up, it's the Swedish word for rosin. Don't be too worried about that either, rosin is just a mild acid made from pine trees that removes the oxidation layer from metals so that solder will bind properly. All electronics are treated with rosin or flux (they are essentially the same thing) when soldered. It's harmless. You are problem more at risk from the car exhaust from the street outside your house.

badbee,

hardware

Just had a second look at the Crafty as its my girl that uses it, Ive never even tried it. At a second look I clearly saw that the vapor path is completely isolated so scratch that @JCat
:lol:

Doesn’t matter at all then
:brow:

I had to look that up, it's the Swedish word for rosin. Don't be too worried about that either, rosin is just a mild acid made from pine trees that removes the oxidation layer from metals so that solder will bind properly. All electronics are treated with rosin or flux (they are essentially the same thing) when soldered. It's harmless. You are problem more at risk from the car exhaust from the street outside your house.
Didn’t read into it tbh, just saw the warning on the box and that it said it shouldn’t be inhaled or be touched too much as it could cause irritation. As a proper swede I felt that I needed to warn others too :rofl:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Can I buy these here in the UK? How much is shipping?
unfortunately, jcat is no longer selling these as per his post one page back:
Hi everyone,

unfortunately due to rising costs of cells and shipping, and concerns around shipping of dangerous goods, I’ve decided to stop (at least for now) this service.

I have a few cells left that I may send out within Canada/US, and will look into dangerous good shipping options in the Fall, and will resume this service if I can do it for a reasonable enough price.

unfortunately, just with the increased costs in cells, I will have to at least increase the price to $50USD vs $45, and at that cost, and with a likely shipping increase, I just don’t see this as viable.

sincere apologies, and thank you everyone for the business over the last few years.

all my customers have been a pleasure to deal with :)

Jill NYC,
Reactions: JCat

BudBudget

A couple years ago, I bought a pair of NCR18650PF and tried to replace the battery in my crafty "classic." I messed up, soldered the battery in backwards, and fried the board. I'm now using a crafty+ (micro-b, not USB-C) that after 2 years and 380 hours is finally giving up the ghost. Usually I'll get the red and blue error light when trying to charge or use it, but it can be persuaded to charge sometimes.

My question is this: would putting the lower capacity ~2900mah PF cell in the crafty+ (that as far as I can tell uses a ~3500mah GA cell) work? My primary concern is that the crafty+ might try to overcharge the lower capacity cell and cause heating/fire hazard issues, but I'm not well versed in electrical engineering (obviously). A soldering iron is DEFINITELY going to be cheaper than a new vape if that's a viable option, but if not I could probably find a better use for that PF cell.

Tagging @JCat because they seem to be the resident authority, but any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!

BudBudget,
Reactions: BigJr48

badbee

A couple years ago, I bought a pair of NCR18650PF and tried to replace the battery in my crafty "classic." I messed up, soldered the battery in backwards, and fried the board. I'm now using a crafty+ (micro-b, not USB-C) that after 2 years and 380 hours is finally giving up the ghost. Usually I'll get the red and blue error light when trying to charge or use it, but it can be persuaded to charge sometimes.

My question is this: would putting the lower capacity ~2900mah PF cell in the crafty+ (that as far as I can tell uses a ~3500mah GA cell) work? My primary concern is that the crafty+ might try to overcharge the lower capacity cell and cause heating/fire hazard issues, but I'm not well versed in electrical engineering (obviously). A soldering iron is DEFINITELY going to be cheaper than a new vape if that's a viable option, but if not I could probably find a better use for that PF cell.

Tagging @JCat because they seem to be the resident authority, but any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!
You are fine with that cell. Charging is based off standard Li Ion voltage levels, the charger cycle isn't controlled at all by capacity. There is the possibility that it will be slightly off when it indicates how much remaining capacity your cells have when in use, that's no big deal, probably not even noticeable.

It's generally recommended that the attachment blades be spot welded rather than soldered to the cells. Soldering irons tend not to be hot enough which means leaving them in place a long time which can cause heat damage to the cells. Spot welder is hotter but can be used much faster so less total heat into the cells.

BudBudget

You are fine with that cell. Charging is based off standard Li Ion voltage levels, the charger cycle isn't controlled at all by capacity. There is the possibility that it will be slightly off when it indicates how much remaining capacity your cells have when in use, that's no big deal, probably not even noticeable.

It's generally recommended that the attachment blades be spot welded rather than soldered to the cells. Soldering irons tend not to be hot enough which means leaving them in place a long time which can cause heat damage to the cells. Spot welder is hotter but can be used much faster so less total heat into the cells.
@badbee Thank you so much! Per your advice, I swapped out the batteries yesterday and, after a few hours of charging, successfully vaped a solid bowl. It was just enough leftover/shake for a single bowl, but the vapor was significantly denser and more flavorful than it's been for quite some time.

The PFs that I ordered many moons ago had tabs already, so it was a relatively straightforward matter to de-solder the existing battery and re-solder to the new tabs. Again, thank you so much! Not only has a significant amount of money been saved, but I've also learned a new skill and slightly reduced electronic waste in the process.

badbee

@badbee Thank you so much! Per your advice, I swapped out the batteries yesterday and, after a few hours of charging, successfully vaped a solid bowl. It was just enough leftover/shake for a single bowl, but the vapor was significantly denser and more flavorful than it's been for quite some time.

The PFs that I ordered many moons ago had tabs already, so it was a relatively straightforward matter to de-solder the existing battery and re-solder to the new tabs. Again, thank you so much! Not only has a significant amount of money been saved, but I've also learned a new skill and slightly reduced electronic waste in the process.
It's always good to hear a success story rather than the usual tragedy :)

badbee,
Reactions: Jill NYC
Sorry to kind of post this again, but I was pointed here from the the other thread.

Just want to double (no, triple!) check that these batteries are okay for the Crafty (not the + ... although the box has a sticker saying "20% more battery" (or something to that effect) There is no + symbol on the actual device.

From what I understand they're a better all-round battery. I just want someone to say "yes" they'll work. I have found someone who'll do the switch for me but they asked me to provide the battery.

I live in Italy so it would be good for any other fellow Europeans to know as well, maybe?

Thanks

MalonShakespeare,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yes, I believe those Sony/Murata VT6 are good.
I saw a post here where @JCat confirmed this.
Make sure your friend is extra careful re; soldering the tabs on to the battery terminals.

vapviking,

badbee

Sorry to kind of post this again, but I was pointed here from the the other thread.

Just want to double (no, triple!) check that these batteries are okay for the Crafty (not the + ... although the box has a sticker saying "20% more battery" (or something to that effect) There is no + symbol on the actual device.

From what I understand they're a better all-round battery. I just want someone to say "yes" they'll work. I have found someone who'll do the switch for me but they asked me to provide the battery.

I live in Italy so it would be good for any other fellow Europeans to know as well, maybe?

Thanks
Yes, a Murata VTC6 is an excellent cell and will work fine. In the US we tend to avoid buying cells from Amazon because sometimes they are fake. I've heard https://eu.nkon.nl/ recommended for buying cells in the EU but double check the prices aren't too high.

Many thanks for the replies, as I said in the other thread... The only time I bought some 'vape' batteries on Amazon I ended up with 4 button tops I have no use for - and really didn't want to repeat the same mistake. There are so many different types of batteries... Now I just cross my fingers and hope the battery switch goes smoothly.

The problem with the Crafty is that it now mostly just refuses to charge - and when it does start charging I can feel the lower end of the device getting really hot - like the battery is heating up too much. I've used it daily for just under two years.

It's a strange situation because I have no love Storz or Bickel after this experience (especially hearing stories of a $70 - $100 replacement service which is nothing short of daylight robbery) But - if I can get it working again it will be my preferred vape 100%.

For that price it should be switchable from the get-go. Also, given that the battery charge is so low (mine was immediately back on charge after one 'round' on the vape) it makes much more sense to make it switchable. As a 1 person vape it's fine - but I wouldn't recommend it for use with a group of friends because it will be on charge for most of the night. Even my friends Mighty wasn't much different and that has two batteries - after two years his barely holds a charge.

My only consolation is that I only paid 100 euros for it - and it was practically brand new with less than 1 hour of use.

Last edited:
MalonShakespeare,

crafty302

I bought the battery for this opened it up and never got around to actually fixing this. Wish i would have just bought the pack.

crafty302,
Top Bottom