Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

blackstone

I just got an email about a new web based APP from S&B so they've now addressed that thing with Apple maybe?
Wonder if they used Jcat's app or made their own.
https://app.storz-bickel.com/

Can you speak to draw resistence in Crafty+ compared to Mighty?

On the Modern Cannabists Crafty+ stream, Stickstones said he noticed quite a difference ("night and day") drawing on Crafty+ and older Mighty, while Troy didn't really with a newer Mighty so on the spot they figured it could be just better than older Mightys, and maybe newer Mighty's were already slightly improved over old.
At around 23:45 in this video:
(Can only be watched on Youtube. There is a good hours conversation from the start about the differences there also if you like)

My current Mighty is nearly 2 years old and was a 20% extra battery model yet I find the difference very noticeable.
When I draw hard I can feel the Mighty fighting against me more.
The lung issue I had nearly made me an expert on feeling draw resistance or just needing less of it!

The first time I noticed a Mighty even had any draw restriction was after trying SSV, so it was adequate to the point I never even noticed any until I tried a more open vape, and Mighty/Crafty never had much complaints at all in that dept.
So even a slight difference like what Crafty Vapor pointed out should make for quite a free flow feeling vape.

Knowing what I know about heaters needing to be hot enough and not overwhelmed by cool air, makes it very impressive how it now responds by giving out nice strong vapor if you try to overwhelm it.
The vapor feels to be getting more powerful instead of thinner like the old Crafty may have on long hard draws.
Im sure the airflow assists vaporisation in general because when we vape, we only really use heat and air movement.
The newly exposed and visible heater element under the bowl probably helps minimizing the heat lost, or speeds up recovery.
Along with any revised electronic responses to temperature changes.

I had tried to demonstrate the airflow differences by draining vessels of water with my vapes connected but I only found a small difference and I didn't think it was significant enough at the time, allowing for errors.
Rather than waste more water I turned it into a big gravity bong experiment and had fun instead!

I later saw Jerry Stickstones tour of vapes and equipment and he showed hospital style apparatus for measuring breathing and suction strength which he said he uses for such experiments.
Don't know if he applied it to this vape yet though!

One place where it appeared to make an even bigger difference to me was on a water pipe, but even though I'm much more confident in this devices abilities than the old one, I don't really want to rag on it too hard and anyway I have switched to mainly dry use with these now.
A Mighty+ would be great for water.

Edit- The S&B website comparison says "exceptional airflow 10l per minute" for the Crafty+ and the Mighty, I think it was always stated that way though? Mine is a 20% white box Mighty with born on date of: 08-2017. It was an RMA replacement.

Edit 2- In the video, Troy tests the airflow in his three vapes by swapping out a Crafty cooling unit between them, so it would have been nice to see if a real close comparison with the right CUs on would've made any difference to his thoughts at all!

Since the Crafty+ has been available what has been the best deal for it? We can get 15% off at Puffitup but wondering if there's been anything better before I pull the plug.

Thinking I want this for when I'm out and about and don't want to deal with too many separate pieces or glass. This thing would fit in a fanny pack along with some pre-loaded capsules (plus as an ex-Mighty user I know that I can expect tasty flavors and even extraction from the C+)

That sounds good! Especially with a free grinder, WPA, and no VAT like EU has!

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
@joner - I have never had any plastic taste with my Crafty. But taste is subjective.
Are you able to connect your Crafty to an app? (I know they are no longer available on IOS, but still on Google Play and also @JCat did something if you read a few posts up. That should tell you whether it’s legit or not.
If it is legit, maybe buy some new cooling units that are completely clean of residue.
Just a few thoughts. Good luck!

https://www.jcatvapes.com/crafty

crafty-control.png

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
A couple of days ago my two year old Crafty got knocked off the coffee table with its glass water pipe adapter attached and hit exactly wrong and last night I noticed that one side of the flange on the vape is cracked such that it won't hold either the wpa or cooling unit tightly. I am devastated! I'm going to try fixing it with super glue, but I can see that some glue will also seep into the main seam, preventing it from coming apart if I ever need to replace the battery. Ah, the wages of stoned stupidity. Fuck, I don't want to buy another vape right now.

Now I'm reading about the more flexible adapters, which also seem to have problems. Why isn't life perfect?

Last edited:

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I didn't, just because it was used. I usually do, but there was residue build up in the CU, so I didn't think a burnoff would do anything (technically should already have been burned off).

Unless there was only like one bowl vaped through it and a LOT of residue/bits come through the stock coarse screen (which I have already swapped with a finer bulbous screen) in that one bowl, but I have already vaped like 10 bowls or more through it and the taste persists.

Does it still taste the same?
First of all it connects with the S&B app so it is legit.
CU must be completely clean! as new! dismantle everything, remove all o-rings and leave it for a couple of hours. then everything goes through hot water.
Then also check under the bowl screen, take it out and clean everything with iso + cotton swabs upside down.
If the problem persists do not use it and ask for an rma

joner

Does it still taste the same?
First of all it connects with the S&B app so it is legit.
CU must be completely clean! as new! dismantle everything, remove all o-rings and leave it for a couple of hours. then everything goes through hot water.
Then also check under the bowl screen, take it out and clean everything with iso + cotton swabs upside down.
If the problem persists do not use it and ask for an rma

I fully disassembled the CU this time, soaked in iso for an hour or two, rinced with hot water, and reassembled with new o-rings. Cleaned everything as new. Pulled the heater screen, cleaned the bowl/top of heater, and replaced with a new screen.

I've only vaped one bowl through it since , but taste is now MUCH better based on that one bowl. The thing is definitely legit, it works just like my Mighty, connects to app no prob (why can't my ghost connect lik that?) just the taste was off in the beginning. Now the taste is great, buddy must have been vaping some weird shit in it. I love the portability of the thing, but I need to load more than my low tolerance can really handle, so it doesn't see much use.

But when I want to get wrecked or impress someone with vapes these (mighty and now crafty) are the ones I use, just for simplicity and performance. Effects follow suit!

joner

My two types of bowl reducer
iGdcx9N.jpg

oTnxS7z.jpg

Nice! How's that dosing capsule held in to the CU? I'd like to try that.

I've got a bulbous screen in the CU already, but it doesn't make a huge difference. A bigger one shaped/formed looks like it works great. I've tried with the liquid pad before, but for some reason I'm not a huge fan.

I'm also away from my unit right now so I can't try the dosing cap in it, it may slip right in no problem?

joner,

Vapenayshyall

So with the crafty plus out, if I bought an OG crafty today and it broke down near the end of warranty, I might be upgraded to the crafty plus?

Vapenayshyall,

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Just wanted to report back on my water tool adapter broken Crafty. After getting magnifying glasses, a tiny clamp, two kinds of superglue, and various shapes of toothpicks for application, I set to work under a goosenecked light. Turns out putting the water tool adapter on held the crack open so I could carefully apply superglue. Then I removed the adapter and pressed the crack shut and held it for 30 seconds than carefully applied the little clamp. No superglue came anywhere near the air pathway, and none I could see on the main seam. Last night, after waiting a full 24 hours for the superglue to fully season, I tried it with the cooling unit(Its clear that putting the old water tool on would break it again, probably without recourse to repair). Vaped three dosing caps without any problems, air leaks, or off tastes. Instead of using the water tool adapter to connect to my lovely little Sneakypete's Globe, I fitted a piece of tubing over the cu mouthpiece and the other end to a 14mm elbow, and I was back in business with the Crafty vapor much smoothed through both the cooling unit and the Globe. Close inspection with a 10 power loupe makes me think this repair will hold. As to whether the case is now sealed together at the main seam, we won't know until I need to replace the battery.

Kimosabe

Educator/Cannabis Evangelist
Since the Crafty+ has been available what has been the best deal for it? We can get 15% off at Puffitup but wondering if there's been anything better before I pull the plug.

Thinking I want this for when I'm out and about and don't want to deal with too many separate pieces or glass. This thing would fit in a fanny pack along with some pre-loaded capsules (plus as an ex-Mighty user I know that I can expect tasty flavors and even extraction from the C+)
I bought my Crafty+ from POTV and it was defective. It took way too long to charge (8 hours) AND lsted only 3-4 dosing caps.

I worked colsely with the online retailer to be sure the unit was defective, and they waited their sweet time to replace it, shpping first class mail, not "EXPEDITED" - BUT here's why you should buy from them:
1. SB15 OR S&B15 will get you the 15% off
2. They have the best satisfaction guarantee in the industry, which allowed me to have them replace my CRAFTY= instead of dealing with STORZbIECKEL

How good is the Crafty+?
I retired my MV1 - not because the Crafty produces better vapor, but the vapor is really almost as good and the primping required to set up a bowl and nurse it to completion does not compare.
Also, try carrying an MV1 around in your pocket.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder

grogazola

I’ve been saving up for another vape. Was thinking of going the desktop route - but I love the form factor of the Crafty. I really enjoy my Mighty and would love to have something (truly) portable.

Are people getting eight bowls per battery? That seems reasonable - obviously that will diminish with battery cycles...

How much longer is the battery when disabling Bluetooth? Is this even possible?

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
Does S&B still have their shitty repair policy, as in you can NOT repair your device with them after the non-extendable 2 year guarantee is over? I went through 8 Crafties in 3 years, they are not made for heavy users. The thing gets cloged from within and breaks sooner or later. And then you can't repair it and they tell you to buy another one...

Poostuff

Please delete
I beat them to it! :lol:

You’d think they’d have at least acknowledged my efforts and answered my email, but nope.

not so much as a hello.
Maybe they view you as an unauthorised repairer & are hating on you for that, but personally I reckon you’ve helped a lotta people out with what you do which is awesome so please just keep doing it.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Does S&B still have their shitty repair policy, as in you can NOT repair your device with them after the non-extendable 2 year guarantee is over? I went through 8 Crafties in 3 years, they are not made for heavy users. The thing gets cloged from within and breaks sooner or later. And then you can't repair it and they tell you to buy another one...
I had multiple Crafty's go bad as well, but a couple of things about your post are interesting.

1. We are in the Crafty+ thread and it's very likely S&B has worked out the reliability issues with this new model.
2. The current deal is that the warranty IS extendable, one extra year upon registration of the device, to a total of three. This will likely mean that average annual cost could be between $80 to $100 bucks (< .35 cents a day) even if it only lasts 3 years and a day. By comparison, I could argue that it's cost me more in order to have working Grasshoppers over the years (this has meant purchasing multiples, even though there's a "lifetime" warranty!).

My Mighty just won't die, it's almost 4 years old now and has never needed service. If I had to replace it today I'd be really tempted to go "back" to a Crafty+. But if a Mighty+ rolls out, well...

JCat

Accessory Maker
Maybe they view you as an unauthorised repairer & are hating on you for that, but personally I reckon you’ve helped a lotta people out with what you do which is awesome so please just keep doing it.
I think it's more they can't even bother ... but oh well. I don't think my profile's high enough that they even really take note of me ... I'm sure they've sold tens or likely hundreds of thousands of devices based on what little I know of the market ... so the hundred or two devices I've helped fix by supplying batteries for them doesn't even really register I would think.

That being said, they should have at least responded to my e-mail where I sent them the link to my app; the right thing to do, I would think, would have been at least to acknowledge my efforts in some way, I did help a number of their customers and retailers (I did receive messages from people that decided to go ahead with a purchase because of my app). How many consumers would have bought other devices instead of a Crafty or Crafty+ in that timeframe where my app was out and there's wasn't? Anyways ... just seems like really poor form.

Top Bottom