Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

ligi

ligi
I really hope there will be no charge - also not sure if I would pay it if there is one ..
Less than 2 months working is really bad and the performance of the 3rd was also really bad (most of the time only 2 sessions ..)

ligi,

biohacker

How many hours did you have on each? I didn't think performance was ever an issue unless you logged a bunch of hours on it, usually they work, and then just don't.

biohacker,

ligi

ligi
the 3rd one is at 65h now - the others failed >100 with red/orange - never had the red/blue before ..

ligi,

biohacker

Well the 65h explains your 2 sessions/battery - normal. And the others >100 is pretty decent usage IMO, most people pray for it to break after that in order to get a brand new Crafty. I wouldn't be complaining myself. Randy from Puffitup did say they typically go around 90-110 hours or so.

If that's not good enough, then if you get sent a new one, just sell it, i'll buy it off you.

biohacker,
Reactions: JCat

DarkSm0ke

I have a Crafty and love it but stopped using it because I don't want to run up my battery time. This unit is out of warranty but only has about 8 hours on it. Trying to keep the usage low because I might want to sell it in the future. I purchased an Alternate and use that daily. The battery is easily replaceable and the unit works almost as good as the Crafty. It's great that we live in a time where we have so many good vape choices!

DarkSm0ke,

biohacker

Trying to keep the usage low because I might want to sell it in the future. I purchased an Alternate and use that daily. The battery is easily replaceable and the unit works almost as good as the Crafty.

If you're out of warranty you're going to take a big loss trying to sell it. Use it!!! If it breaks and out of warranty it will more than likely be a small price to get a BRAND NEW Crafty! S&B are awesome, unlike some other wanna be companies out there peddling flakey devices.

What is an Alternate and how come I have never heard of it? :brow: Replaceable battery and almost as good as the Crafty? Do tell!

EDIT: Found Vivante Alternate... i've got some homework to do!

EDIT 2: Read enough. S&B FTW!

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Still love my Crafty.
If there was anything to say, I'd say it!

Predictable and reliable...hell yeah!
Nice to hear about positive experiences with Crafty. S&B may yet fall into a sweet spot with Crafty, giving it incremental upgrades as is their practice. That may make my older tale less relevant at this point, but...

Re; hours before failure,
I had four Crafty's, three of which went between 125-140 hours (my average was about 30-35 hours per month). One of those three was denied warranty service because I had put it through 'too many charge cycles', so I had to pay 50 bucks for a battery swap. Though I didn't like that, I still can't complain too much about S&B and service. They've done everything else right, by way of keeping me in the family.
Now I'm using Mighty, it probably has over 300 hours on it and has never needed service, so it seems to fit my usage pattern much better.

vaporist4LIFE

Nice to hear about positive experiences with Crafty. S&B may yet fall into a sweet spot with Crafty, giving it incremental upgrades as is their practice. That may make my older tale less relevant at this point, but...

Re; hours before failure,
I had four Crafty's, three of which went between 125-140 hours (my average was about 30-35 hours per month). One of those three was denied warranty service because I had put it through 'too many charge cycles', so I had to pay 50 bucks for a battery swap. Though I didn't like that, I still can't complain too much about S&B and service. They've done everything else right, by way of keeping me in the family.
Now I'm using Mighty, it probably has over 300 hours on it and has never needed service, so it seems to fit my usage pattern much better.
Thanks for that post.been looking at the mighty since that surprising price drop. Clearly if I was to choose one it would be the mighty . Anyone have a video using the mighty WPA they could post ? I like big clouds :D edit -oops wrong thread , just woke up , my apologies !

vaporist4LIFE,
Reactions: vapviking

duff

Well worn
For some time now I've been looking for a smell proof, skinny/slim fit case or pouch for my Crafty. It should be as small as possible to fit my jeans' front pocket like Crafty fits just by itself w/ the cooling unit attached
I keep my Crafty in an waterproof roll up gear bag that came with my Vapium Summit.

It is smell proof, rolls up small and fits in my pocket nicely. It doesn't add any protection though.

I've seen similar items at REI, Gander Mountain or similar outdoor stores.

It's funny but as long as I've owned a Crafty I've never felt compelled to visit this thread since mine has been so trouble free. Perhaps this is due to my rotation of devices. Typically I use one vape exclusively for a couple of weeks and then switch devices. So while I've had my Crafty for over two years it probably has only been heavily used for one quarter of the time.

Sorry that folks are having so many failures. If I were to do it all over again, I'd get the Mighty instead but I can't complain. The Crafty hasn't let me down once with 120+ hours on it.

Glad your having luck with the Mighty @vapviking

Last edited:

vapedead

Hey guys,

Been lurking this place since i decided to invest in a crafty some months ago.

Sadly the battery was already near terrible after 6 months of use @70 hours ish.
It would last 1 session and take forever to charge. Typical 4-5 hours to charge full battery.

I decided to do a RMA because i heard Storz were so helpful with you guys, but i've met nothing but resistance so far.

They offered me following
- Replacement crafty without further warranty for addtional 129 euro
- Replacement crafty with 2 years warranty for addtional 298 euro
- Mighty upgrade for 179 euro.

I asked for a mighty upgrade, but i only wanted to pay the difference between my first purchase and the mighty. This option they refused, so now im paying 5 euro for getting the old device sent back to me.

They claim it's wear and tear but I'm quite sure this is not even right according to the warranty law in EU. So i'm strongly considering forwarding this case to customer compliance in EU and making a case out of it. Alternatively i could run the device dead and get it replaced.

What do you guys think, am i in the wrong here?

biohacker

It is wear & tear, the battery bites in the Crafty....I notice it after about 30 hours, and then goes south pretty fast from there. But that's without paying much attention to charging while it's warm etc.

The Crafty is for STEALTH and occasional use, similar to the Grasshopper... S&B will be there for you if it bites the dust, but with the battery, all bets are pretty much off.

S&B should invest into better engineering for the battery, or get a much stronger robust cell. The Crafty was kind of an afterthought to the Mighty, but serves a niche.

Never had these battery issues with the Mighty, like ever.... the batteries age as they are supposed to. With the Crafty it's another storey.

Always go Mighty if you can handle the slightly larger form factor. If the Crafty had a swappable battery, or more robust, it would be a game changer IMO. Same with a digital display and temp control. Not down with the bluetooth shit.

biohacker,

DarkSm0ke

If you're out of warranty you're going to take a big loss trying to sell it. Use it!!! If it breaks and out of warranty it will more than likely be a small price to get a BRAND NEW Crafty! S&B are awesome, unlike some other wanna be companies out there peddling flakey devices.

What is an Alternate and how come I have never heard of it? :brow: Replaceable battery and almost as good as the Crafty? Do tell!

EDIT: Found Vivante Alternate... i've got some homework to do!

EDIT 2: Read enough. S&B FTW!

So what you are saying is that if my Crafty dies, and it is out of warranty then S&B will give me an option to pay a fee and get a new crafty at a reduced cost? Any idea what that might be or just a ball park figure?

Regarding Alternate, they had a couple of bumps with the roll out, but they just announced yesterday they re-designed the cooling unit with another material and it also has a SS heat sink to further cool the unit. Anyone who purchased unit from legit source will be sent new Ver. 2 cooling units at no cost. Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.

DarkSm0ke,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yea - also thought so. Trying a new RMA - hope it works out despite the fact I am over the 2 years now .. But the last (3rd) crafty was only lasting <2 months :-(
@Mr Mellish recently sent in an out of warranty Crafty that had also gone south in very short order. S&B replaced it at no charge. It's just a few posts above ^^^. That's standing behind the product!

On the other hand, there's the very recent wear and tear story from @vapedead (Welcome!) and some pretty stiff pricing for any of the swaps. They must've realized how much they were losing on Crafty returns... But it seems he may, in EU, have some recourse (we'll see!) because consumer protection law trumps company warranty policy there. As I mentioned this morning, a battery change-out cost me only $50 in US, but that was almost two years ago. (and a subsequent Mighty upgrade was $60, because the Crafty was sent in for a covered warranty repair at that time)

Last edited:

biohacker

So what you are saying is that if my Crafty dies, and it is out of warranty then S&B will give me an option to pay a fee and get a new crafty at a reduced cost? Any idea what that might be or just a ball park figure?

I think so, but no idea for certain...best to contact S&B to get it from the horses mouth. It seems like different people have different experiences!

Regarding Alternate, they had a couple of bumps with the roll out, but they just announced yesterday they re-designed the cooling unit with another material and it also has a SS heat sink to further cool the unit. Anyone who purchased unit from legit source will be sent new Ver. 2 cooling units at no cost. Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.

Things like that turn me off right from the start. I rather play the wait and see game, as i'm presently doing with the Grasshopper. I don't wanna take any chances when it comes to my health, especially when there are solid products out there like the S&B portables. After the plastic smell wears off ofcourse :D

ligi

ligi
My red/blue issue got so bad - I do not even get one session anymore :-(
I issued with S&B and got a RMA accepted but there is no UPS slip this time. Kinda weird - in the RMA description I was writing that I might be over the Warranty time of 2 Years - but as the last device lasted less than 2 weeks I expect it to be covered under warranty. Kinda wish I would not have send it in the last time - there the main problem was that vibration was not working. The last crafty was really crap to be honest ..

They offered me following
- Replacement crafty with 2 years warranty for addtional 298 euro

That's what the device costs new ..

Last edited by a moderator:
ligi,

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
Anyone ever have an issue where the power button won't "click" anymore? I've had zero troubles with my Crafty until now. Sucks one can't activate the heater via the bluetooth app.

HighMtnSkier,

biohacker

So I have a possible Crafty on the horizon, it only has 6 hours on it and serial 30XXX, looks immaculate, and from Germany but no invoice/proof of purchase.

Anyone know what the protocol is for warranty service w/o invoice? I'm sure I could use an old invoice since they don't have serial numbers on them, but ethically just cannot do that!

biohacker,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So I have a possible Crafty on the horizon, it only has 6 hours on it and serial 30XXX, looks immaculate, and from Germany but no invoice/proof of purchase.

Anyone know what the protocol is for warranty service w/o invoice? I'm sure I could use an old invoice since they don't have serial numbers on them, but ethically just cannot do that!
from recall, and it was a while ago,
A member bought one used in Germany (maybe ebay. idr) and it smelled bad. He talked to S&B (Germany), they asked for s/n and then covered him out. I think he got a new one; I think they knew by s/n number it was < 2 yrs old.
I think some policies may have been revised now that Crafty and Mighty have been out for more than the two years, but I still think the straight-on approach will be best. Ask 'em!

ligi

ligi
Just opened the S&B crafty app to check - and the error I get for Red/Blue is "Temperature too low" - but my crafty is quite warm - anyone had this issue also?

Last edited:
ligi,
Reactions: JCat

vapedead

So i just got my crafty back in same condition as it was shipped. I refused to accept any of their absurd options. I was even forced to pay 5 euro for shipping otherwise my device would be destroyed lol.

I just noticed it only has 64 hours on it.

I have two options
1) Actually going through the eu consumer compliance law and make a case out of it.
2) Run the device dead and get it replaced. There's no way they'll be able to deny it as a warranty claim then. It'll also make my case better.

@Storz and beckelz which eventually will read this
You messed up, and i'll make this right. It's absolutely unacceptable to sell a product that only last 64 hours and deny warranty claims.

So i'll probably run it dead, RMA it again and then force a case through EU's consumer compliance.

Any other suggestions ?

vapedead,

biohacker

Good luck man, I don't know about your EU laws or whatnot but S&B is correct - it's wear and tear, and it's not their fault. I think you should have went with their option to pony up and upgrade to the Mighty, and personally think you're being unreasonable.

The battery is the weak link with the Crafty, and i'd suggest reading up on best battery management and charging practices to avoid any issues with batteries in the future. Checkout batteryuniversity or search this thread. There are some basics that must be adhered to so you can avoid this in the future.

You can try running it dead, but the only thing that may potentially die is the battery itself, and you'll be in the same position again.

I don't think the Crafty is for you, Mighty would be much better IMO.

ktmstick

So i just got my crafty back in same condition as it was shipped. I refused to accept any of their absurd options. I was even forced to pay 5 euro for shipping otherwise my device would be destroyed lol.

I have two options
1) Actually going through the eu consumer compliance law and make a case out of it.
2) Run the device dead and get it replaced. There's no way they'll be able to deny it as a warranty claim then. It'll also make my case better.

You messed up, and i'll make this right. It's absolutely unacceptable to sell a product that only last 64 hours and deny warranty claims.

So i'll probably run it dead, RMA it again and then force a case through EU's consumer compliance.

Any other suggestions ?

All you can do bud is try to run it dead. Use it on high temp and keep it charged / buy a powerbank. I'm sure something will break on it before the battery really gives up - power button /vibrate/plastic etc. Good luck.

ktmstick,

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I have two options

Any other suggestions ?

S&B base their decision on empirical evidence, all tracked in the firmware. If they determine the battery has been used up (even at 64 hours), then that's he story. It happened to me at slightly fewer hours. That was Crafty # 3: first two went well over 100 hours and were replaced under warranty.
So, I paid for the battery in No. 3, and they sent a new one. Absolutely no regrets.
No. 3 then died and was warrantied, I got No. 4. When that one died (overheating/shutting off) I upgraded to Mighty, which has lasted, I think, 20 months now. I love my Mighty!

If you believe that some consumer law protects you for the two years, even for battery (we know this is the case in Australia, @grokit has told us so), then you might still have recourse with the retailer you bought it from. I don't think you should try to outsmart the manufacturer by killing the device. They know the battery is shot at this point.

Top Bottom