Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

OF

Holy vapor! Then everything I knew is wrong. Thank you for this information.

So basically to take good care of the battery I have to avoid extremes (0% or 100%) and charge it till it reaches 5 bars? (The app shows 6 bars when it's fully charged)... I wouldn't know any other method to measure when it's ready to unplug.

I don't mind paying attention to the charging process as long as it guarantees better battery life. So this is gold for me. Thanks.

I'm sorry, since I don't have this vape I don't know the details of it's display. But I think you're on the track. The vapes I've checked seem to be pretty linear with their steps (battery types, specific models, can h ave different 'curves', but they are fairly uniform). Sometimes they are 'compressed' at the top, Solo for instance has a top step (seven) that's twice as big (.2 Volts) than the rest (which are .1 Volts each). There the 'blind way' is to wait until the top LED lights but the charge light is still flashing.

Another way is to immediately use it once it's fully charged, enough to use say 10% of the total? If it's good for say 8 sessions on a full battery, one will take it to under 90% charge.

This scheme really works. In fact I built a series of 'gadgets' to do this automatically. One of the latest versions:
jy0w0hN.jpg

The normal charger plugs in upper left, the cable goes to the vape. When you push the button (extends through a hole in the lid) the transistor in the upper right is turned on and the current used monitored by the 'shunt resistors' next to it. When, near the end of charge, the current tapers back to the level set by the blue adjustment screw above the switch the processor in the left lower corner cuts the charging current (early) and beeps the beeper to let you know it's done.

A fun bonus is since the reduced charge part of the curve is what gets cut off, when the charge is going slowly, you cut 20 to 30 minutes off every charge. If you used to charge for a 90 munutes after say five sessions, now you can do the recharge in 60 or seventy.....every time. A bit of a win-win.

Too bad the coming of Air discouraged folks from making a commercial version of this gadget, it works for a lot of different vapes and products. Here's a prototype of one that converts the 12 VDC to lower voltage (like 9 for Ascent, FMs and others in that range) or 5 VDC for Air and all the rest that use USB ports for charging. No need to beat up the batteries.......
sz6tVDv.jpg

Fun stuff, glad you find it interesting/useful.

Regards,

OF

alex24

@alex24 nice! How do you handle opening and closing? Do you always unscrew all the screws?

Yes, you need to unscrew all of the screws in order to access the battery. However you don't need to put all 4 screws back, 2 is enough :). Alternatively, instead of screws you can secure the shell using some rubber(silicone) rings(or something similar).

What exactly are you aiming for with that mod?

I made this mod in order to have an option for easier battery replacement if needed. If I'm going somewhere and Crafty is not charged - I can easily swap the batteries and go. Or I can have a few pre-charged batteries if I'm going somewhere where charging is a problem(camping, hiking, etc.).

Another reason was to use better quality batteries with Crafty. For example Sony VTC6 works better than stock battery - 10-15% faster heat up time, battery charge lasts about 20% longer.

Peggit

I made this mod in order to have an option for easier battery replacement if needed. If I'm going somewhere and Crafty is not charged - I can easily swap the batteries and go. Or I can have a few pre-charged batteries if I'm going somewhere where charging is a problem(camping, hiking, etc.).

Another reason was to use better quality batteries with Crafty. For example Sony VTC6 works better than stock battery - 10-15% faster heat up time, battery charge lasts about 20% longer.

I see, so it's all about the independence of wallpluggin your crafty for charging.

But every now and then I read about the risk of buying cells online and putting them into a device without knowing exactly what one is doing. Also heard some creepy stories of people blowing off their faces with the wrong batteries in their e-cigarettes. As you might notice I'm a bit of a yellow-belly 'bout stuff like that :D But I also love modding things myself :D Sometimes even to the good

tdriver

Yes, you need to unscrew all of the screws in order to access the battery. However you don't need to put all 4 screws back, 2 is enough :). Alternatively, instead of screws you can secure the shell using some rubber(silicone) rings(or something similar).

I still can't find anyone who is willing to 3d print some spare shells/housings ...... or even modified ones for your type of mod.

....or is it? if anyone knows a place, please post a link. rachet maybe?

tdriver,
Reactions: Joaon

alex24

But every now and then I read about the risk of buying cells online and putting them into a device without knowing exactly what one is doing. Also heard some creepy stories of people blowing off their faces with the wrong batteries in their e-cigarettes. As you might notice I'm a bit of a yellow-belly 'bout stuff like that :D But I also love modding things myself :D Sometimes even to the good

I choose to be optimistic.:)

biohacker

@alex24 you are a genius dude! If you ever modded these for a price or sold them or whatever i'd totally get back in the Crafty game! The vape just doesn't work for me the way it presently is. The battery just degrades too quickly. If I could have a beefed up battery, or ability to swap it out every 20-30 hours, i'd be so in!

Nice work man! :tup:

alex24

@alex24 you are a genius dude! If you ever modded these for a price or sold them or whatever i'd totally get back in the Crafty game! The vape just doesn't work for me the way it presently is. The battery just degrades too quickly. If I could have a beefed up battery, or ability to swap it out every 20-30 hours, i'd be so in!

Nice work man! :tup:

Thank you! :)

Hawk

Version 2 :)
A lot of dremel work and it is much easier now to replace battery on the go :)

vWhB4gH.jpg

HAE3XCW.jpg

CtQBvv9.jpg

Thats how the Crafty should have been. How is the brass held in, glue? If so what did you use. And where did you the brass? I'm assuming a vape supply shop. I'd also pay to get mine done if you ever got into modding them.

biohacker

I'd also pay to get mine done if you ever got into modding them.

Could make a legit biz out of this! Especially with alot of Crafty's being out of warranty now. I bet it could be done for cheaper than S&B charge for a replacement too.

Definitely how the Crafty should have been!

biohacker,

alex24

Thats how the Crafty should have been. How is the brass held in, glue? If so what did you use. And where did you the brass? I'm assuming a vape supply shop. I'd also pay to get mine done if you ever got into modding them.

I got brass tube from eBay, however the seller is also selling it here.
It is glued down to one side of the shell using J-B Weld KwikWeld epoxy.
I don't know how well it will hold it in place in the long run, but it looks pretty strong right now.

On a side note - Crafty is not able to show correct battery level when you swap batteries. However if you are using the same battery and just charge it in Crafty - it will be showing correct battery capacity.

alex24

Could make a legit biz out of this! Especially with alot of Crafty's being out of warranty now. I bet it could be done for cheaper than S&B charge for a replacement too.

Definitely how the Crafty should have been!

I'm glad you guys like it!:)
It is definately a great way to improve Crafty especially if it is out of warranty.
Just out of curiosity - how much would you be willing to pay for this mod?)

Hawk

I got brass tube from eBay, however the seller is also selling it here.
It is glued down to one side of the shell using J-B Weld KwikWeld epoxy.
I don't know how well it will hold it in place in the long run, but it looks pretty strong right now.

On a side note - Crafty is not able to show correct battery level when you swap batteries. However if you are using the same battery and just charge it in Crafty - it will be showing correct battery capacity.

The full cylinder wouldn't fit? Looks like you cut it.

Hawk,

alex24

The full cylinder wouldn't fit? Looks like you cut it.

There are two main reasons I chose not to use the full cylinder:
1. Fitting of the full cylinder is much more difficult.
2. Full cylinder makes Crafty uncomfortably heavier. With my mod it only 10g heavier than the stock version.

M4k4v3l1

Tupac Amuru Shakur
I'm glad you guys like it!:)
It is definately a great way to improve Crafty especially if it is out of warranty.
Just out of curiosity - how much would you be willing to pay for this mod?)

Havent posted in a long time but legit id cover the costs to get it to you and back to me and a I'll say anywhere up to 40$ is fair for the mod, considering the cost of the brass piece and glue up to 50$?

M4k4v3l1,

jvoltios

Hello again,

I ordered a Vivant Alternate as a backup unit. Nothing wrong with my Crafty (Only 7 hours and almost a month of use). I saw the Vivant thread and might consider to combine both units (Crafty CU with the Alternate). However my question is regarding water rigs. Would this make for a nicer experience? Bigger, moister hits?

What do you guys think about this water rigs?

http://www.dhgate.com/product/heigh...atrix/382968170.html#s3-6-1b;searl|3367068811

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2015-...aker/247956559.html#s1-16-1b;searl|0524688585

I know these are chinese copies, but reviewers agree they get the job done.

I suppose I would need a 14mm or 18mm adapter for the Crafty/Vivant. Anywhere I can find those from China as well? I'm not interested in attaching any sort of whip.

Thanks!

jvoltios,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi @jvoltios , welcome.
Check out @Ratchett 's announcement and new adapter, for Mighty or Crafty. There's a link there to his website page where it'll be available very soon in U.S.
This shows promise to be one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-mighty-by-storz-bickel.16000/page-413#post-1130867

Lots of folks here have liked a water piece called D-020-D, a little less $ than the one's you asked about; go to Sunshine Store on DHGte site.

I often use a knockoff of Pinnacle Pro Hydratube (smaller,in-line type) that I bought from an US ebay seller for about $23.

Last edited:
Top Bottom