Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Right that would be cool, but until then you'd think they would discontinue their failure of a vaporizer. I've only seen proof of one non modded crafty lasting over a hundred hours. 3 of mine failed before 30 hours and I gave up and put the last one I received up for sale. Swappable batteries would be awesome but the current crafty doesn't have them.

S&B also doesn't seem to have any desire to include the feature or they would have from the start. Running a high powered vaporizer off of a single weak 18650 is bound to cause problems.

Not trying to defend S&B (I definitely think they need to update their design with swappable batteries) but I have had several other vapes that have died well before my crafty (with less use).
Flowermate v5s and Grasshopper to name names.

So I doubt it qualifies as a "failure" .... its just suited better to lower usage patterns as @Bad Ocelot mentioned... considering i have multiple portables... it suits me just fine... still on my first crafty (coming up to 2 years)

But they definately need to bring out a model with swappable batteries....
But then it might make the mighty redundant ;) (maybe why they aren't doing it yet).

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Right that would be cool, but until then you'd think they would discontinue their failure of a vaporizer. I've only seen proof of one non modded crafty lasting over a hundred hours. 3 of mine failed before 30 hours and I gave up and put the last one I received up for sale. Swappable batteries would be awesome but the current crafty doesn't have them.

S&B also doesn't seem to have any desire to include the feature or they would have from the start. Running a high powered vaporizer off of a single weak 18650 is bound to cause problems.
Two of three Crafty's lasted well over 100 hours for me. Upgraded to Mighty and this suits my use pattern far better.
I agree swapable (or at least 'user serviceable') battery would be a nice feature. But battery safety is a big issue in the industry. Afaik catastrophic failure, like battery explosions that might cause injury, are almost unheard of in Crafty/Mighty and this fact is to their credit.
I also think it's very likely the Crafty failure rate has gone way down as improvements seen and unseen have been implemented.
Even though some portables are built more solid/durable and some with longer warranties, etc., from a marketing viewpoint these things (portable electric) have a life cycle that's only a couple of years old; the next new thing comes along, etc. So this is going to be a changing landscape. I'm sure S&B design people are looking both ahead and over their shoulder.

Mr Mellish

First off, I want to thank @ChooChooCharlie again for the gift of the capsules. In my opinion they vastly improve the experience.

I'm getting very close to the end of the warranty and the heat-up time seems to be infinite. So, tonight I used a stop watch and found it getting up to first temp in 2:45 (374F). This seems forever but I'm suffering from VBTD (vape-based time dilation). With the GH, Vapman, FW3, and Prima in the rotation, this length of time is interminable. Is it support ticket worthy?

ETA

I'm in a unique (for me) position to experiment. The first session drained one blip on the app. The second session took 3:04 to get to the first temp. It drained one blip. The times suck.

ETA

I didn't need it but proceeded in the interest of science. It took 2:59 to get to temp one. The third time. This drained two blips. I expect one more session before dirt nap.

ETA

SCIENCE TRIUMPHS!

Although I was far beyond needing it, Tesla beckoned. This brings us to Totally Unnecessary Session 3 (AKA Session Four). 3:34 to get to temp one. As expected, this sesh bitch-slapped Mr. Battery into purgatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joaon

@Mr Mellish
Yeah, it sucks .. !
:myday: Solder the heater element connections could help ;)
Or just heat it up on max, repeat until it die :goon:, and send it to S&B before warranty ends !

Still waiting my 1th Crafty to arrive (First package was "lost" during shipment, they sent me another one..)
to hack the Crafty in a video/tuto .. :ninja:

i have a feeling next thing that could fail on my unit is the micro USB socket, it really does get some hammer... it must get plugged in and out 5-10 times a day.

Would an QI induction receiver improve it? I'll try that :mental:

Oh, and you know what? The Omnicharge Pro have a Qi option.. http://www.omnicharge.co/#
Omnicharge-01.jpeg

( once and for all my next compulsive buying .. ! )

Last edited:
Joaon,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
The slow heat up and fewer sessions sound like weak battery issues and I don't think the situation will improve on its' own.
Depending on what country you are in, you may or may not be covered by warranty for battery issues, but if not...
If I recall, your piece has relatively few hours on it? My suggestion is to send it in, especially if there is any other, even minor issue that might kick in a warranty (cracks in housing?) - and ask for their evaluation. I believe that the worst-case reply might be a suggestion that you buy a new battery (they're not cheap!) and if you do that, they'd very likely just send a new piece. So, for about $70 (in US) you would still have a (potentially) long ride ahead, though out of warranty.

Either that or brush up on your soldering skills!

Vaporcussion

IMO, I'm feeling a new product from S&B any week now. It's been two years, all the competitors have put out a new product, (plus all these Crafty problems) Thinking right around Thanksgiving...

Vaporcussion,
Reactions: Thcgos

Thcgos

Vape Addict
IMO, I'm feeling a new product from S&B any week now. It's been two years, all the competitors have put out a new product, (plus all these Crafty problems) Thinking right around Thanksgiving...

@BuzzDanklin put out a blog a few days ago saying there are rumours that S&B will be releasing a new portable.

http://www.vaporizerwizard.com/8-new-portable-vaporizers-releasing-q4-2016/

Hopefully the Crafty 2.0 will have user replacable batteries, faster heat up time and be marginally smaller.

If not, I probably wont be interested.

CRvapes

hey guys

so i am droppinng back after a month or so of absense. i have 83 hours on my crafty and still kicking ass!!! cant wait for it to die and get a mighty as a replacement :p

Kasish

hey guys

so i am droppinng back after a month or so of absense. i have 83 hours on my crafty and still kicking ass!!! cant wait for it to die and get a mighty as a replacement :p
Ure about 30 hours from a new mighty
:-).

Kasish,

Modicum

I've been using the Crafty for about 2 mos. @ 356-375f ,it's been fantastic. The last few times that I've gone to it however the vapor has been hotter & more harsh at the same temps with same herb.Could it be my grind? Too fine?Open to opinions & solutions.

Modicum,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I've been using the Crafty for about 2 mos. @ 356-375f ,it's been fantastic. The last few times that I've gone to it however the vapor has been hotter & more harsh at the same temps with same herb.Could it be my grind? Too fine?Open to opinions & solutions.
Can we assume you've cleaned the cooling unit and the chamber, etc.?
Or, maybe different buds, even if from same strain/batch can vary in harshness...

Modicum

@vapviking I cleaned it at the 6wk point , about the 90min usage time wise.I'll give a good cleaning today. Can you tell me the grind you use? Have you any experience with whole nugs ? Do coarser grinds have anything to do with taste & smoothness?Sorry for the 20 questions.

Modicum,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@vapviking I cleaned it at the 6wk point , about the 90min usage time wise.I'll give a good cleaning today. Can you tell me the grind you use? Have you any experience with whole nugs ? Do coarser grinds have anything to do with taste & smoothness?Sorry for the 20 questions.
Just my experience, but whole nugs won't vape evenly (in Crafty/Mighty, this is), though after a hit or two can then be crumbled a little and vaped more. Instead just medium grind; too fine will restrict draw and clog c/u screen more quickly. The S&B orange grinder works really well but unfortunately it doesn't tell you when to stop! If earlier you were talking about, like, powdery fine grind, that will be more harsh than usual.

If you do less-than-full chambers, use a pac man top screen or the oil pad as filler. Or seek out the fabled dome screen technique... The material needs be held down (but not packed too tight) so it doesn't swirl around in the chamber.
Surely others have other suggestions/methods, theses are just some thoughts.
The operative part of my message would be to keep trying to get it just right for you, to suit your own needs and use.
But I do prescribe more hours of use, for sure!

a bag of it

I just got my replacement crafty today. Bought my first one in 02/15 and it lasted 190 hours until I got the yellow flashing lights of death. The replacement process was 100% smooth and easy. Of course I would love the unit to last forever, but having to send in for a replacement every 1.5 years would not be the end of the world. I noticed they reinforced the plastic that holds the cooling unit on, which is nice because mine was pretty broken by the time I sent it in.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker

CRvapes

hey guys

i went out, had some drinks, passed out and woke up without a crafty which i'm assuming i lost at the club :(

CRvapes,

CRvapes

If we all going to look on the brightside, i have a CFX missing a chamber filter which i am using and refuse to send for warranty service..

also looking on the bright side that i will buy a vapcap for $30 lol until storz and bickels releases their new awaited 2017 vape

CRvapes,
Top Bottom