Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

highpass

Morning! Just joined up as I've been using a Crafty for a few weeks and am pretty sure I am not doing life right. I have a barrage of questions. If anyone has answers I'd appreciate the guidance.

1. Currently I grind herb fine as fuck. I was told this was optimal by some review site or other, but I am not getting "cloudz" and what not. I have gone through an O in two weeks and am pretty sure I wasted much of it. Is a corser grind better? The ABV is always done in but the med level is not mind blowing.

2. What is the simplest way of reducing bowl depth without using the liquid pads? I spotted a photo in this thread where someone stuck screens in the pods, is there anything under the screen? is it a stack of screens?

3. My cooling unit screens are proper clogged (thick black tar), after reading through this thread it appears switching the screen with a finer one fixes it. Is that right?

4. When you're toking on this guy, are you meant to take 10 second long, slow, draws?

5. Can I pay someone to swing by and level up my Crafty skills?

Cheers!
HP

Mr. Me2

Morning! Just joined up as I've been using a Crafty for a few weeks and am pretty sure I am not doing life right. I have a barrage of questions. If anyone has answers I'd appreciate the guidance.

1. Currently I grind herb fine as fuck. I was told this was optimal by some review site or other, but I am not getting "cloudz" and what not. I have gone through an O in two weeks and am pretty sure I wasted much of it. Is a corser grind better? The ABV is always done in but the med level is not mind blowing.

2. What is the simplest way of reducing bowl depth without using the liquid pads? I spotted a photo in this thread where someone stuck screens in the pods, is there anything under the screen? is it a stack of screens?

3. My cooling unit screens are proper clogged (thick black tar), after reading through this thread it appears switching the screen with a finer one fixes it. Is that right?

4. When you're toking on this guy, are you meant to take 10 second long, slow, draws?

Cheers!
HP
Welcome High!

I can help with some of this, but opinions vary. Here goes...

1. Super fine doesn’t seem right. Try a medium to coarse grind and don’t pack it tight.

2. Get a regular size pipe screen. Cut out a wedge so the remaining piece looks like pac man. Pull the 2 straight edges together to creat a cone. This is all you need as a spacer. Try to fill your oven with about a half load of coarse grind and put the cone (point pushed into the load). The round edges of the screen should fit the oven great.

3. A few weeks and you’re already clogged? Going to a course grind may help with that. First thing is to get an extra cu or 2. This one needs a good soak in iso. I don’t do a complete disassembly, but removing the mouthpiece and opening it into the 2 pieces is enough. Drop them in iso in a baggie, and place the baggie in a cup of super hot water. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse and dry. It should be like new. I never bothered switching out the screen.

4. I don’t think there’s a wrong way. If this is your 1st vape and you’re switching from combustion, you need to adjust to the coolness of vapor. Some people are cloud chasers. Not me, but higher temps usually accommodates that.

5. Tempting...

highpass

Thanks very much mate!

1. Got it

2. So you place the screen atop the herb? Does it not work the other way around? (I'd like to set up 10-20 pods this way so was hoping for a semi permanent method of reducing bowl size)

3. It's been about 3 weeks ish, but yes, mega clogged --- two of them! I'll give them a clean and hope the coarse grind works out

4. I suppose I am equating clouds with success and that is a stupid metric. I'd like to reproduce the POW of a pipe, and right now I'm sort of between a blowback and a teeny joint. I'll toy around with it a bit. This point sort of links with the first one, I'd like to be certain I'm ... getting the most out of it. Thanks again

highpass,

Mr. Me2

Thanks very much mate!

1. Got it

2. So you place the screen atop the herb? Does it not work the other way around? (I'd like to set up 10-20 pods this way so was hoping for a semi permanent method of reducing bowl size)

3. It's been about 3 weeks ish, but yes, mega clogged --- two of them! I'll give them a clean and hope the coarse grind works out

4. I suppose I am equating clouds with success and that is a stupid metric. I'd like to reproduce the POW of a pipe, and right now I'm sort of between a blowback and a teeny joint. I'll toy around with it a bit. This point sort of links with the first one, I'd like to be certain I'm ... getting the most out of it. Thanks again
Yes, screen on top.

I haven’t used pods, so I’m not sure it will work that way. You may want to ask on the Mighty thread. It’s much more active and plenty use the dosing pods. Be sure to ask about micro dosing. Plenty will chime in with suggestions.

Vaping is much different than combusting. Give it time; you will LOVE it!

karec

Morning! Just joined up as I've been using a Crafty for a few weeks and am pretty sure I am not doing life right. I have a barrage of questions. If anyone has answers I'd appreciate the guidance. HP

medium/corser grind is advised, my basic temp is 185C usually i can take more than 4 draws and the last 2 draws at 200C

cannot reply i use all the space lol, but without the liquid pads i didnt see any other way..

YES! i stop using the S&B wider screen a long time, i use the S&B bottom screen on top and since that i need to clean my cooling chamber less often and i dont notice any difference... a small bath in alcohol will clean it good careful if u use ISO it will mess with the plastic....and u will need a new Cooling Chamber

What i do is, draw slow at least until the light goes red, herb quality will have a huge impact...

i would do it for free mate but i live in Portugal lolol

Cheers, you have a really good unit, the crafty problems are design ones, but the learning curve usually is a small one

Tezcatlipocà

Hello,

My Crafty doesn't work very well. I can't use it beyond a certain temperature threshold (it started around 200°C, but gradually decresed now around 170°C), because it just turns off.
On top of that, it is now extremely slow to reach the desired temperature. Battery life has suffered, but is still reasonable though.

This is an old unit, 85 hour, 3 years.

Do you think there is something to do with the customer service? Or should I buy a new vaporizer?

Tezcatlipocà,

Mr. Me2

Hello,

My Crafty doesn't work very well. I can't use it beyond a certain temperature threshold (it started around 200°C, but gradually decresed now around 170°C), because it just turns off.
On top of that, it is now extremely slow to reach the desired temperature. Battery life has suffered, but is still reasonable though.

Do you think there is something to do with the customer service? Or should I buy a new vaporizer?
I’ll bet they can service it, but it will cost you something...

You may want to take a look at the Fury2...

karec

Hello,

Hey mate my advise is, since you already out of warranty, S&B will give you...0 or a discount on a new unit if you send the faulty one... this means between the postage and the discount you will save nothing.... don't get me wrong this was my experience with them when mine failed, 30euros discount, so i would get a new one for 250euros...not bad if i didnt repair my unit by myself and cost me 2usd so ... @Mr. Me2 not even they offered a repair service in my case so thats why i lost faith in them and charging you with 70 usd + postage .... not for me anyway.... with a device that is noticeably known by failing....every 2 years lolololol

I advise you to replace the battery, the crafty is a really good device and his problems are design ones that sometime makes the thermal fuse to stop working and you will get the red and yellow lights error preventing your unit to heat up.
Mine has 3 years and 160h and still works but i had to replace this fuse on my own when had 150h and S&B didnt offer a repair service... this was a 2usd fix!!!! and a new 18650 is around 10 usd so replace both and you will have almost a brand new unit.

Turning off usually is not a problem, mine always turns off when i dont take a draw in a minute for safety, 185C is my main temp and usually i take out the last 2 draws at 200C, if during the session u notice heat decreasing that could mean that your thermal fuse is about to fail... maybe...

i also advise you to get a new vape, judging by your use (85H in 3years) if you only use your crafty to consume herb you are not a heavy user but the crafty, in my opinion and experience, will not last to much if you do more than2 sessions per day... so replace this things a take care of your oldie, you will notice that even with the years this model have is still one of the GOATs in vapes, but i advise you to get a desktop unit and leave the crafty to go out and party. for desktops the Plenty,EVO and the Extreme Q these are 3 options but there are a lot more to choose from.
Cheers

Last edited:

Tezcatlipocà

Thanks for the tips. Where can I find a tutorial for replacing the battery or the fuse?

I use my vaporizer mostly at home in front of my PC so yeah maybe a desktop one would be better. I'll have a look. I'd love a S&Z one but Plenty looks too weird to me. I definitely want something more discrete, normal-looking.

Tezcatlipocà,
Reactions: karec

karec

Thanks for the tips. Where can I find a tutorial for replacing the battery or the fuse?

I use my vaporizer mostly at home in front of my PC so yeah maybe a desktop one would be better. I'll have a look. I'd love a S&Z one but Plenty looks too weird to me. I definitely want something more discrete, normal-looking.
the thermal is really straight forward the video is on youtube search this Crafty - flashing yellow light fix, the battery you will need a more savy guy to do it, unless you are a electronic guy, this guy that made the video is here on FC he promise to do one for the battery but he is MIA so...but when you go for the thermal fuse take out the battery and the wires attached buy a new battery (sony VTC6) and go find a place were they can do the same thing on the new bat

plenty is weird but its a bomb!!! i own an EVO and im really happy

hope it helps
cheers

karec,

Mr. Me2

Check out Ed’s Woodscents (log vape). They’re beautiful!

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/eds-woodscents-log-vape-eds-tnt.22287/page-58#post-1268985

Tezcatlipocà

I could see me changing the battery like the guy in the video, but the other video with the fuse? That's too much for me. And sadly, this is the part which makes my life uneasy by keeping me below 170 - 180°C at the moment.
I will think about it. The Crafty is still functioning, as long as i can vape at this temperature it's ok. But I know that some day I won't be able to go past 150 or 160 and so on.
My friend has a Mighty, it certainly has everything I need for a vaporizer. But I will check your recommendations first. Thanks!

Tezcatlipocà,
Reactions: karec

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
After nine months of use, my Crafty is dusty! OMG! The evil dust is collecting on the cooling fins. Has anyone figured out how to most easily brush it off? Or should I just take the vacuum with the horsehair upholstery bush to it?

I gave the inside and cooling unit thorough cleanings in preparation for crossing the border into Canada on Thursday on my way to my second home in northern Newfoundland. Took a bunch of caps that I didn't bother cleaning...my Fury2...and a Stardustsailor VapeCap and an M18. Just got lit with the Crafty, listening to Grateful Dead and Celtic, and watching Greenland icebergs that have grounded and gotten stuck in my "frontyard". I can see three bergs without getting out of my seat. Its cold, 39F/4C, grey, and spitting. I'm happy as a clam.

highpass

So many questions... so much jealousy... you have a house in the US and Canada? How'd you get Canadian status? How are the icebergs? Fancy swapping lives?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
My crafty finally took a turn for the worse, this time the housing finally failed. The lip on the front of the unit that locks the cooling unit in place is where the plastic broke. I tried to see about a cheap repair through S&B but it seems the best offer was $179 for a brand new unit with a full warranty. Looks like my ride's over :rip: faithful servant.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
My crafty finally took a turn for the worse, this time the housing finally failed. The lip on the front of the unit that locks the cooling unit in place is where the plastic broke. I tried to see about a cheap repair through S&B but it seems the best offer was $179 for a brand new unit with a full warranty. Looks like my ride's over :rip: faithful servant.
How many hours did you get on it?

Jill NYC,

Tezcatlipocà

As for me, I declined S&B offer and decided to buy a 2nd hand Volcano. I'll keep my Crafty for trips and holidays (or cinema/restaurants hehe) and I will use Volcano as my daily vaporizer. From my experience, I have the feeling that while the Crafty is without a doubt one of the best portable vaporizer, it is better if used as a take-away device, or as a second vaporizer for specific situations. Every time I wanted to use it more intensively, it failed. I'm sure Volcano will perform better in that regard.

Tezcatlipocà,
Reactions: Used2use

cheeseholidays

I’ve noticed with mine that it gets pretty harsh when it needs to be cleaned. A deep clean seems to set it straight again. This is with me brushing it after ever bowl. I hoped I’d be able to go longer between deep cleans.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

cheeseholidays,
Reactions: JCat

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I’ve noticed with mine that it gets pretty harsh when it needs to be cleaned. A deep clean seems to set it straight again. This is with me brushing it after ever bowl. I hoped I’d be able to go longer between deep cleans.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes, I think the flavor becomes unreasonable when the cooling unit is dirty. And it gets dirty pretty quickly.

I started putting the concentrate pad on top of flowers and haven’t had to clean the cooling unit in months. I just dunk the pad in ISO every couple of weeks and the flavor stays great. Much faster and easier than taking apart the CU and picking thru all those crevices.

Jill NYC,
Top Bottom