TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Very nice. Welcome to flavor country!

I'm so stuck on the CL + glass pipe but loving every minute of it. I have my temp set a bit higher at 4.5 but that's bc the glass bowl I use is deeper than the stock bowl. Glad your issues are sorted out!

Any attempt with DVs again? I really enjoy feathering the carb on my BB9/Ti tip with the CL here and there.

bobothevaper

Very nice. Welcome to flavor country!

I'm so stuck on the CL + glass pipe but loving every minute of it. I have my temp set a bit higher at 4.5 but that's bc the glass bowl I use is deeper than the stock bowl. Glad your issues are sorted out!

Any attempt with DVs again? I really enjoy feathering the carb on my BB9/Ti tip with the CL here and there.
Nope not yet. But I can try tonight. I did buy a different cable to the log end which is a much thinner so it feels easier to handle the log which is fun.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Nope not yet. But I can try tonight. I did buy a different cable to the log end which is a much thinner so it feels easier to handle the log which is fun.
That's cool. I'll be getting that charging cable from Ed's TnT tomorrow so I'll see how that goes with my powerbank.

I've been thinking of how convenient it might be to have a small usb-c power bank magnetically attached to the base of the CL with a short cable for portability. The CL is so small to begin with that if I can come up with a tidy, compact battery solution then maybe it's more portable.

If it works well, I might need another CL with a case for outside the house 😄

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So the on-the-go charging cable from Ed's TNT did the trick. It's been so hard to find a PD compliant, quality USB-C cable with a dimmer that actually works. I had previously used a USB-A solution and that was ok but couldn't get hot enough for concentrates.

Took me a while to find the right settings on the dial. Combusted my first time and the next time it just wasn't hot enough but I was happy that I knew I had the range I needed so it was a matter of trial and error to get it right. With a 20000mah battery I could probably get hours of use. Loving it.

Now I need to sit and chill bc I had to vape many bowls 10-15 min apart while trying different settings and I am straight up blasted. 🤯😵

I did it all... for science!
Im Ready Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

bobothevaper

So the on-the-go charging cable from Ed's TNT did the trick. It's been so hard to find a PD compliant, quality USB-C cable with a dimmer that actually works. I had previously used a USB-A solution and that was ok but couldn't get hot enough for concentrates.

Took me a while to find the right settings on the dial. Combusted my first time and the next time it just wasn't hot enough but I was happy that I knew I had the range I needed so it was a matter of trial and error to get it right. With a 20000mah battery I could probably get hours of use. Loving it.

Now I need to sit and chill bc I had to vape many bowls 10-15 min apart while trying different settings and I am straight up blasted. 🤯😵

I did it all... for science!
Im Ready Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
Nice one. I think i bought the wrong cable 😂 i thought I could get a cable with a volt reader but i still need a dimmer i guess.

Or maybe I could just go powerbank - my wrong cable - couchlog controller - log.

But that’s not as sleek. Idk.

I think the Eds is 12V yeah? So you should treat it like twice as much. So level six should be level three.

Either way. I’m super in love with the Couchlog. Its freakin amazing.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Nice one. I think i bought the wrong cable 😂 i thought I could get a cable with a volt reader but i still need a dimmer i guess.

Or maybe I could just go powerbank - my wrong cable - couchlog controller - log.

But that’s not as sleek. Idk.
Funny you should say that bc that's what I had to do. The barrel connector on Ed's cable didn't fit directly to the CL (must be a 2.5mm vs 2.1mm thing) but did fit into the CL temp controller so I chained them up the way you describe above so I have 2 dimmers in series. Whatevs! Got it work 😁but maybe I'll look into an adapter for Ed's cable to use it directly with the CL.
I think the Eds is 12V yeah? So you should treat it like twice as much. So level six should be level three.

Either way. I’m super in love with the Couchlog. Its freakin amazing.
Really glad you're happy with it! It's been my favorite vape since I got it. And it's so pretty! I'll have to get different sleeves or another CL altogether lol.

bobothevaper

Funny you should say that bc that's what I had to do. The barrel connector on Ed's cable didn't fit directly to the CL (must be a 2.5mm vs 2.1mm thing) but did fit into the CL temp controller so I chained them up the way you describe above so I have 2 dimmers in series. Whatevs! Got it work 😁but maybe I'll look into an adapter for Ed's cable to use it directly with the CL.

Really glad you're happy with it! It's been my favorite vape since I got it. And it's so pretty! I'll have to get different sleeves or another CL altogether lol.
Yeah it 2.1 mm into the log controller but 2.5 mm from controller to log iirc. Just get a cheap adapter.

But ok i guess if I set my wrong cable to 6v it would only draw that from the PB which should mean the logcontroller would work as normal. I thought of getting a small wood box with a lid and stuff pb and controller inside and have the log on top of the lid. This way its just a small box with a cable sticking out for the log.

bobothevaper,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yeah it 2.1 mm into the log controller but 2.5 mm from controller to log iirc. Just get a cheap adapter.
Yep. On my list.
But ok i guess if I set my wrong cable to 6v it would only draw that from the PB which should mean the logcontroller would work as normal. I thought of getting a small wood box with a lid and stuff pb and controller inside and have the log on top of the lid. This way its just a small box with a cable sticking out for the log.
Really hope your cable works as advertised. All USB-C cables I tried without a dimmer were just too hot although the lowest I could set voltage to was 9V on them. I gotta say, they all seemed cheap so I've no idea if they were actually doing what they claim.

I would recommend that when you're testing your cables that you babysit the CL a little bit while it reaches temp. You can usually tell by the feel in the hand and the heat coming off of the unit whether it's getting too hot. Also good to be around in case there are any shorts or weird noises/smells so you can shut stuff down early before the CL takes any damage.

I like the idea about the wood box 👍

Knightsofcamelot

Hello! Planning on picking up a CouchLog after I sell some unused vapes in my collection. My only experience with logs are the Underdog SC3 and the OG Alpha and the Musa V2. I never noticed much wood aroma from those units, other than the Musa. How does the CouchLog compare in this regard and is there a wood type that imparts a minimum amount of wood aroma?

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Hello! Planning on picking up a CouchLog after I sell some unused vapes in my collection. My only experience with logs are the Underdog SC3 and the OG Alpha and the Musa V2. I never noticed much wood aroma from those units, other than the Musa. How does the CouchLog compare in this regard and is there a wood type that imparts a minimum amount of wood aroma?
I find these logs to impart the least wood smell while using of any I have, when used with the glass bowl. They are very well made and cnc finished with a removable wood sleeve that barely gets warm.

I think your risk while using the wood stem is the highest risk, and I’ve heard complaints about the wood resin the kingwood stem produces when heated causing sticking of the metal bowl....but not a smell.

bobothevaper

Christian Bale Swag GIF

Ended up pulling the trigger on the olive/grenadill unit today! Any idea on how fast expedited shipping is to eastern USA? The CouchLog has been on my list after VAS was satisfied by a Bowle/Anvil combo for the past year or so. But as everyone knows VAS is a b****!

@Canna Chameleon thanks for the info!
Congrats man. I got mine a few weeks ago and its all i use now. It’s such a nice vape. Did you get any extras?

I got the pipe and I absolutely adore that thing. I wonder if you can buy the pipe without the stand if the glass breaks instead of paying for a new pipe and stand? @Beefcake@420Eng

Either way I bought a carbon filter and filled it with balls just for fun. Not that it needs it but it does cool quite a bit.

Knightsofcamelot

Congrats man. I got mine a few weeks ago and its all i use now. It’s such a nice vape. Did you get any extras?

I got the pipe and I absolutely adore that thing. I wonder if you can buy the pipe without the stand if the glass breaks instead of paying for a new pipe and stand? @Beefcake@420Eng

Either way I bought a carbon filter and filled it with balls just for fun. Not that it needs it but it does cool quite a bit.

I got a matching glass stem and extra screens, o ring. I have a spiked j hook with flat mouthpiece form Oregon glass blower that I love!.

simba

@weedanwine
A hit on the Couchlog using a Glass Charlie Dynavap stem adapted and filled with some Cereal Milk ground bud

So I've put this review off for a while because I've got some mixed opinions about this vape and I wanted to give it a good amount of use before saying what I think. After about 2 months with it, I have a good understanding.

Looks
So my unit is all walnut and it looks great, the grain doesn't match between the top and the bottom, although some positions it looks like it does so it's alright. I was really surprised at how small the unit is, very compact.

My biggest problem with the look of the unit is with the temperature control. Black markings on the walnut makes it practically impossible to see the temperature level without bringing the control right up to your eyes and focusing intently on them. This absolutely caused me some issues in the beginning and I burnt a few bowls.

Mouthpiece
I like the look and feel of the mouthpiece, except where the bowl doesn't sit flush with the wood, there's always that bit of a gap there. The bowl size is reasonable.

I also got a spare bowl and O-ring kit so I could use my glass Dynavap mouthpiece. I kinda wish there was a purpose built bowl to connect to the mouthpiece, this way works alright but it could be better with an attachment meant to fit any Dynavap stem. Given the number of people making stems, I think this would be great. It was really nice using my Glass Charlie Dynavap stem which has been sat in the drawer for ages because I never use Dyna's anymore.

It was much more comfortable using the glass stem, and I really liked that. It became my preferred stem to use. I think an all-glass stem made for this in the same style of a Glass Charlie Dynavap stem would be awesome.

General usage
Now I've bought this vape to be my main desktop unit and it's not exactly filling this role even though it's getting plenty of usage. I've found that I can get 3 good hits from the unit before needing to let it warm back up again, this is using the mouthpiece. I've found using it with the glass bowl that I can only get one good sized pull on there before needing to let it warm back up again.

So this vape is great for hits throughout the day, or if I'm taking a bowl slowly in the evening watching something, but if I need to have a good sized bowl without taking ages over it then I need to look elsewhere, so that means the wake an bake and bedtime bowls are often on the Tasty Tube or Thermal Accumulator. And one of the main reasons I bought this was to reduce torch-powered vape usage. So it has done that, just not as much as I thought/hoped.

I think the issue I have is that I can't get enough good sized hits from this thing before it needs to heat up again, which means I can only finish a very small bowl in one heat "load". I feel like this vape could've been bigger whilst still being a compact unit, and it would've been capable of more back to back hits.

Now I get I'm a (very) heavy user in general, but I feel like this has been marketed as a heavy hitter, and for sure I can get big satisfying hits but not enough back to back for me.

I think I'd love a Couchlog XL using sic balls 🤔

Tunneling
You do get tunnelling on this vape, I'm guessing it's fairly common with log vapes due to the design, this is my first log vape. I do wonder whether something on the end of the heating rod could break up the flow of air and combat that? One advantage of using the Dynavap stem is that the bowl is narrower, so I get barely any tunneling on that compared to the stock mouthpiece.

CONS
The biggest annoyance is how easy it is for the lead into the temp control to disconnect. It can be only a tiny bit disconnected so easily missed, and there have been a few times I've gone to take a hit and it's been cold. That's really infuriating, because that's my main want from this device to be always-on and ready.

This picture is plugged in and working

and this image shows what it looks like when it isn't connected

I know it's a bit closer so the difference looks a bit more, but when it's to the side and you glance over at the unit it's easily missed. The problem comes from the stiffness of the cable which causes it to move. Now the cable is something which was complained about in the past too, and I didn't quite get why until I got mine. If a braided cable was used, I don't think my unit would ever have become accidentally unplugged and I would probably like it a lot more.

I get frustrated by this unit because I get some tasty and potent hits from it, but not enough and going up to the unit to take a hit in-between meetings and realising it's unplugged is super frustrating.

Another con is the loading funnel, I don't understand why it's made from rough plastic so your weed gets caught up on there, it should be a smooth surface. Although I didn't end up using it that much after I started using the Dynavap stem, but still annoying on the occasions that I do use it. Also I don't know if my heater is way off compared to everyone elses, but I can barely get past the 1st setting and getting brown to dark brown AVB.

This vape costs €375 + £100 import tax, now I know the tax is my own look out and I don't begrudge paying it. But I really question whether this is worth more than a log like Enano XL which costs €258. I don't know honestly, I'm sad that this vape frustrates me because those hits I do get are great.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
So I've put this review off for a while because I've got some mixed opinions about this vape and I wanted to give it a good amount of use before saying what I think. After about 2 months with it, I have a good understanding.
Seems like a very fair review. Typically when I see complaints about tunneling and back to back hits, it's because people are ripping it very hard and fast. The CL doesn't work well with fast rips, in my experience. The best results come from a very slow, even draw.

However I watched your video and it seems like your draw is normal for a convection vape. So I have no idea how to account for that 😀

I can definitely easily finish a whole bowl without any recovery time and I don't get any tunneling. Maybe it's just the difference in the heaters? I am really not sure.

Either way, sounds like you gave it a good try and it's not meeting all your needs, as far as I can tell. Very thorough.

coolbreeze

There does seem to be a big difference in heaters as most people seem to be using 3 and above settings whilst mine is barely past 1. Maybe if it was higher than there would be less recovery time, but then the temp would be much too hot and likely to combust.
That doesn't seem right. I would talk to Chris. I'm usually between 4-5 sometimes up around 6 if the glass requires it. I don't use much of the dial but there's a lot of room on either end for me.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
A hit on the Couchlog using a Glass Charlie Dynavap stem adapted and filled with some Cereal Milk ground bud

Looks
So my unit is all walnut and it looks great, the grain doesn't match between the top and the bottom, although some positions it looks like it does so it's alright. I was really surprised at how small the unit is, very compact.

My biggest problem with the look of the unit is with the temperature control. Black markings on the walnut makes it practically impossible to see the temperature level without bringing the control right up to your eyes and focusing intently on them. This absolutely caused me some issues in the beginning and I burnt a few bowls.

Mouthpiece
I like the look and feel of the mouthpiece, except where the bowl doesn't sit flush with the wood, there's always that bit of a gap there. The bowl size is reasonable.

I also got a spare bowl and O-ring kit so I could use my glass Dynavap mouthpiece. I kinda wish there was a purpose built bowl to connect to the mouthpiece, this way works alright but it could be better with an attachment meant to fit any Dynavap stem. Given the number of people making stems, I think this would be great. It was really nice using my Glass Charlie Dynavap stem which has been sat in the drawer for ages because I never use Dyna's anymore.

It was much more comfortable using the glass stem, and I really liked that. It became my preferred stem to use. I think an all-glass stem made for this in the same style of a Glass Charlie Dynavap stem would be awesome.

General usage
Now I've bought this vape to be my main desktop unit and it's not exactly filling this role even though it's getting plenty of usage. I've found that I can get 3 good hits from the unit before needing to let it warm back up again, this is using the mouthpiece. I've found using it with the glass bowl that I can only get one good sized pull on there before needing to let it warm back up again.

So this vape is great for hits throughout the day, or if I'm taking a bowl slowly in the evening watching something, but if I need to have a good sized bowl without taking ages over it then I need to look elsewhere, so that means the wake an bake and bedtime bowls are often on the Tasty Tube or Thermal Accumulator. And one of the main reasons I bought this was to reduce torch-powered vape usage. So it has done that, just not as much as I thought/hoped.

I think the issue I have is that I can't get enough good sized hits from this thing before it needs to heat up again, which means I can only finish a very small bowl in one heat "load". I feel like this vape could've been bigger whilst still being a compact unit, and it would've been capable of more back to back hits.

Now I get I'm a (very) heavy user in general, but I feel like this has been marketed as a heavy hitter, and for sure I can get big satisfying hits but not enough back to back for me.

I think I'd love a Couchlog XL using sic balls 🤔

Tunneling
You do get tunnelling on this vape, I'm guessing it's fairly common with log vapes due to the design, this is my first log vape. I do wonder whether something on the end of the heating rod could break up the flow of air and combat that? One advantage of using the Dynavap stem is that the bowl is narrower, so I get barely any tunneling on that compared to the stock mouthpiece.

CONS
The biggest annoyance is how easy it is for the lead into the temp control to disconnect. It can be only a tiny bit disconnected so easily missed, and there have been a few times I've gone to take a hit and it's been cold. That's really infuriating, because that's my main want from this device to be always-on and ready.

This picture is plugged in and working

and this image shows what it looks like when it isn't connected

I know it's a bit closer so the difference looks a bit more, but when it's to the side and you glance over at the unit it's easily missed. The problem comes from the stiffness of the cable which causes it to move. Now the cable is something which was complained about in the past too, and I didn't quite get why until I got mine. If a braided cable was used, I don't think my unit would ever have become accidentally unplugged and I would probably like it a lot more.

I get frustrated by this unit because I get some tasty and potent hits from it, but not enough and going up to the unit to take a hit in-between meetings and realising it's unplugged is super frustrating.

Another con is the loading funnel, I don't understand why it's made from rough plastic so your weed gets caught up on there, it should be a smooth surface. Although I didn't end up using it that much after I started using the Dynavap stem, but still annoying on the occasions that I do use it. Also I don't know if my heater is way off compared to everyone elses, but I can barely get past the 1st setting and getting brown to dark brown AVB.

This vape costs €375 + £100 import tax, now I know the tax is my own look out and I don't begrudge paying it. But I really question whether this is worth more than a log like Enano XL which costs €258. I don't know honestly, I'm sad that this vape frustrates me because those hits I do get are great.
I've had mine come unplugged before for the same reasons but lately it's been fine although I'm careful with the cord. Some things that could help for this:
  • Maybe add a bit of electrical tape on the end to make the barrel connector thicker and sit more snugly in the female port
  • Buy another female-male connector tip to add to the existing cable that fits more snugly
  • Replace the cable with a better one
I've had problems with back-to-back hits as well but only after about 3 big pulls in the glass bowl, not the stock bowl. Usually I'll not need more than three so I generally don't mind the recovery period but it's noticeable when sharing.

I suggest a couple of things
  • Distance from the heater to the load is key. Try a glass bowl with an adjustable basket screen so you can move larger loads closer.
  • Moderate your pull some more, maybe you're drawing too hard? Especially draw less hard if you bring the flower closer to the heater.
  • You might also try a higher heat setting and slow down your draw. The CL should stay hotter for longer at a higher setting.
Good review! Hope this helps.

Edit: I agree with @coolbreeze that your heater seems off (too strong). Might need to have it looked at. I need at least 3 on the dial for vapor with the stock mouthpiece.

Last edited:

simba

@weedanwine
Thanks for the suggestions about draw technique, but that's absolutely not the issue. I have tried all different techniques and the slow steady draw is something I'm well accustomed to.

Trying a higher heat setting and slowing my inhale would lead to combustion. I can get it slightly too dark if I go even a bit slower than an already slow inhale.

The suggestions about connection are a bit hacky except for replacing the cable and that's not something that should need to be done on a unit at this price point IMO.

Maybe there is an issue with the heater, I've had some back and forth with Chris after buying and there wasn't this suggestion from him, but I'm open to it sure. I've sunk £550ish into this thing with the extras I bought and import fees, so I'd much prefer to be happier with this than I currently am 😂

But I have been thinking about whether it would be wiser to put it onto the classifieds and look at alternatives.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The suggestions about connection are a bit hacky except for replacing the cable and that's not something that should need to be done on a unit at this price point IMO.
I agree. If you're not happy with the cable I would think Chris should help you out. I was just suggesting things that could help you more immediately.
Maybe there is an issue with the heater, I've had some back and forth with Chris after buying and there wasn't this suggestion from him,
Wow. Ok. I would've thought that the temp number you're using on the dial would be discussed during an issue like this. Barely being able to travel past 1 on the dial without risking combustion seems suspect to me.

Top Bottom