Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
Not the only issue, but IMO it's the major one. Improving the heat transfer through that wall will immediately and proportionally increase production.

For instance, do the metal cans from the original DV have such serious problems?

The numbers are real. Switching the wall from Pyrex to say Aluminum will increase the transfer rate 200 times, even cast iron would be 50 times better. Thermodynamics is real. Heat does flow from hot to cold by finite rules....which we can understand and use to our advantage sometimes.

Wrap some wax up in a little Aluminum foil, punch a pin hole or two and see what happens? Or hold a bottle and a tea spoon a few inches back and run your torch on the other end.....see which you decide to put down first?

OF

So what's that stuff that they use on stovetops these days?

I still use the old fashioned gas burners, but now its some sort of glass isn't it? I would guess the spots that represent where the burners would be must be etched or something. But clearly its designed to conduct heat. Or might that be a matter of thickness also (not mine, OF, the glass's)?

theCerberus

Not the only issue, but IMO it's the major one. Improving the heat transfer through that wall will immediately and proportionally increase production.

For instance, do the metal cans from the original DV have such serious problems?

The numbers are real. Switching the wall from Pyrex to say Aluminum will increase the transfer rate 200 times, even cast iron would be 50 times better. Thermodynamics is real. Heat does flow from hot to cold by finite rules....which we can understand and use to our advantage sometimes.

Wrap some wax up in a little Aluminum foil, punch a pin hole or two and see what happens? Or hold a bottle and a tea spoon a few inches back and run your torch on the other end.....see which you decide to put down first?

OF

Hey I'm not trying to deny metal will heat up faster. Just saying the glass will do the job. From what I read DV seems to think the clasp they are making is needed to properly seal in the path, and that is what is the problem.

As sinclue points out, there are stoves on the market with glass top elements that work perfectly fine.

theCerberus,

vape4health

Just look at a solo stem to see how well glass will insulate/isolate heat. I hold my fingure very close to the heater when in use, try that with metal. Ever use a VG :)

OF

It's all about thermodynamics. We don't have a 1000 degree source to give the big delta temperatures to force heat across the barrier. To keep it in the kitchen, much as a double boiler cooks very much slower than a fry pan on the same fire. Only, to continue the analogy, we're trying to boil water in the inner pan of the double boiler.......and settling for nearly 212F.

We need to move heat (energy) to get to basically the same temperature as the source (the 400F wall). In reality, we can't do that. We'll never get quite that high no matter what happens.

Heat can only go from hot to cold (as we define things). The bigger the difference (call it pressure?) the higher the flow rate for the same resistance. This means there will be a temperature drop at any given rate of heat transfer that's directly related to the thermal resistance (the inverse of conductivity). Cut that number in half and the temperature difference to hold that heat flow rate goes to half (the load heats up more).

I get the intuition part, but I'm talkin' science?

I still bet a foil packet beats the glass jar.......

The same rules apply for vacuum systems and with electricity and magnetism, BTW. No doubt other areas as well. Just different units. There's 'Ohm's Law for magnetic circuits' for instance.

OF

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
If the oil cans from the DV fit will they work? I just felt left out of the convo hehe.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: OF

sektr

Anybody have a PAX and Ascent that can do a comparison? I desperately need to invest in a portable vape again after recently getting bronchitis presumably from my smoking. As much as I love bong rips they can't be a daily thing anymore...

sektr,

sektr

Try the solo then (it delivers fat rips while ascent is still to come).

Thing is WAY too bulky and the glass tubes having to be transported separate from the unit is inconvenient. It's basically just a cordless desktop vape in my mind.

I need something portable I can stick in my pocket and bring around with me, preferably that'll also work for vape-bonging so I can still get the pleasure of using my glass collection.

I used to have the original DV, sold it cause I got one of the faulty units with visible offgassing and as a Canadian couldn't send a used model back to the US for replacement. I was really looking forward to the Ascent to be the obvious end all be all choice for my needs of a portable vape, so I'm hoping they pull their shit together before launch, otherwise I'm gonna end up with a PAX with a mouthpiece that needs to be constantly cleaned to keep it from sticking and jerry-rigging some ghetto vapebong setup...

sektr,

Kaptan

Thing is WAY too bulky and the glass tubes having to be transported separate from the unit is inconvenient. It's basically just a cordless desktop vape in my mind.

I need something portable I can stick in my pocket and bring around with me, preferably that'll also work for vape-bonging so I can still get the pleasure of using my glass collection.

I used to have the original DV, sold it cause I got one of the faulty units with visible offgassing and as a Canadian couldn't send a used model back to the US for replacement. I was really looking forward to the Ascent to be the obvious end all be all choice for my needs of a portable vape, so I'm hoping they pull their shit together before launch, otherwise I'm gonna end up with a PAX with a mouthpiece that needs to be constantly cleaned to keep it from sticking and jerry-rigging some ghetto vapebong setup...
You may want to create a new thread for this as we're getting off topic here. IME, the Solo is quite portable, but if you need something more stealth and just as capable, check out the Inhalater XP.

Kaptan,

Vapodudule

Original DV needs maintenance as well, you could get back to it now they improved reliability and magnet seal.

orginal DV seems to fit your needs. heavy hitter for sure.

Vapodudule,

sektr

Original DV needs maintenance as well, you could get back to it now they improved reliability and magnet seal.

orginal DV seems to fit your needs. heavy hitter for sure.

I'm totally willing to wait on the Ascent though regardless, it's not a pressing matter as medicating isn't a daily MEDICAL need for me, only once or twice a week, so I can hold off and only medicate when absolutely necessary until the right vape becomes available. I was just under the impression enough test units were out now that I could get some solid opinions on it.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Anybody have a PAX and Ascent that can do a comparison? I desperately need to invest in a portable vape again after recently getting bronchitis presumably from my smoking. As much as I love bong rips they can't be a daily thing anymore...

Why does this get asked every three pages or so. There are only a handful of Ascent owner out there, so the comparisons will be few. Search for slightlymedicated's review posts, as he compares them at one point.

dude if you hate when it has a lot of draw resistance, DO NOT buy the pax

HMCS.AVENGER,

Cillerix

Does anyone have any insight to why Davinci has been so quiet the past week or two? It seems strange to announce a pushback (and entire new part) then drop activity on all media outlets.

Cillerix,

Kaellan420swe

Omg, give like 20% of or somthing for this freaking delay (to fc users ;) )!!! Im going mental and tbh losing my eager to get it cous i bet somthing "better" are being invented while you fix the seal DV. Release now pls befor i smoke up my cash or give em to my wife lol

Kaellan420swe,

VapeForest

While this shouldn't be perceived as any sort of medical advice (lol), we have used both the Pax by Ploom and the Ascent by DaVinci and would like to offer a quick comparison. To those who caught our initial video review of the Ascent, we'll be publishing our finalized version soon so watch out for it. Anyways, here's the comparison you're interested in. This is a FC original.

Pax VS Ascent
(Round 1 - All That Blah-Blah-Blah)
Pax-VS-Ascent-VapeForest.jpg

In regards to the weight, Pax is lighter. In regards to the difference in size, Pax is smaller. While the Ascent is larger and heavier, it's still conveniently compact enough for our pockets. When staring at the screen, the perimeter of the Ascent is still smaller than the Samsung Galaxy S4, though it does have considerably more depth. Beyond the size and weight, there are certainly other variables which come into play when comparing these two so let's move on.

A fully charged battery on the Ascent lasts up to 4 hours, while the Pax only lasts up to 2 hours. Essentially, the Ascent can vaporize for twice as long as the Pax.

When it comes to cleaning and maintenance, there are some clear differences. Pax takes some effort to clean and the cleaning brushes it comes with aren't the best. When not properly cleaned, the mouthpiece often gets sticky and sometimes stuck. These issues with the mouthpiece can be resolved with a thorough cleaning, application of Ploom's mouthpiece lubricant, or a combination of the two. This can be a bit of a fiasco for those who do not clean their vaporizers regularly (after every use or so). Ascent, much to the contrary, is very easy to clean. Simply pull out both of the glass pieces that compose the vapor pathway, drop them in isopropyl alcohol or any glass cleaning solution you happen to have, soak, rinse, dry, and then reinsert them into the device and you're done. Cleaning the loading chambers of both devices is relatively easy and straight forward so no big difference there.

(Round 2 - Perhaps The Most Important Part)

Vapor quality. What's the difference? While the Pax does offer good vapor, it doesn't deliver with the consistency of DaVinci's Ascent. The seemingly finalized version that we've been testing has been consistently delivering thick vapor, whereas the Pax seems more intermittent in delivery. To summarize, the Ascent wins in the vapor production department over the Pax.

(Conclusion - Final Thoughts)

In our opinion, the Ascent is the obvious choice, however, there are those of you who will surely disregard our advice and opt for the more compact of the two, which is the Pax. Decisions, decisions, decisions. This vaporizer comparison on the FC Forums was brought to you by VapeForest!

VapeForest

Why You've All Been Waiting...

At this point, a lot of you probably feel as if you've been waiting for forever for the Ascents to begin shipping and you're starting to suspect the release date will go the route of Vaporfection's miVape (that nice looking portable that has yet to be seen on the market...), however, we here at Vape Forest would like to assure you that this is not the case. We have tested the original Ascent, prior to its latest update, and while we were impressed, we are even more impressed with the updated version. While the seal on ours (the first one) appears to have been quite tight (at least, seemingly compared to others from what we've heard), the seal on the new ones is definitely a snug fit from what we can tell and the result is a consistent flow of thick vapor. The other noticeable update was the inclusion of a metal poker that's inserted into the the top of the device next to where the glass mouthpiece is located. This little metal stick comes in clutch for grabbing hot oil jars and cleaning the heating area after a session. To us, these updates were well worth the wait and we applaud DaVinci for actually taking the time and effort to listen to user feedback and update their product accordingly. :tup:

P.S. While there's no official word, we suspect that they will begin shipping VERY SOON.

lwien

Ok, I think I need to state something here.

VapeForest, while I appreciate your Pax/Ascent comparison, I think it's obvious as to the real reason why you are here, and that is to promote your site, with a sig that states, "We are Vape Forest. Find us on Google." Not quite sure how the mods here feel about that. I just think we need to be out front with that.

Now the reason that I'm going to be bringing up the following is that there are many people here who are both members and lurkers, and they come here looking for valid information regarding their next vape purchase and here is where I take issue with your site. You list the top ten vaporizers in descending order and you leave out such great product as the LSV and the Cloud, just to name a few. By their omission, you are implying that the vapes in your top ten are better, than say, the two I just mentioned. So, the MFLB, and the Pax are higher rated than the Cloud and LSV? Doesn't make any sense. And even within your top ten, you rate the Pax and the MFLB better than the Buddha, which also doesn't make much sense. And THAT'S why rating vaporizers doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless you break them out into categories, such as whips, portables, bags, etc etc etc. And............if there are certain vapes that have yet to be reviewed by you, than it would be wise to state that so that the implication of omission is not to be understood that they are sub par for any reason.

So with that being said, to any readers that may be reading this and checking out VapeForest's site, please take into consideration what I said above and don't take ANY sites ratings, be it VapeForest, VapeCritic , etc as gospel. The best thing that you can do is to read those reviews ALONG with the multitude of user reviews stated here as well as at other sites before making a purchasing decision.

Edit: I know my post here is wayyy off topic, but I do think it needed to be stated for clarification.

Edit again: Just noticed that after I posted this and made mention of what was in their sig, VapeForest took the comment, ""We are Vape Forest. Find us on Google", out of their sig. Actually, I'm not sure if VapeForest did this or the mods here did it.

Top Bottom