Arizer Solo II

BigJr48

It depends on how cheap the shipper is, my AgraCan order arrived next day, although I don't live far. I know you're across the country but all my medicine comes from god's country and takes 2 business days for delivery. If they cheap out, it could take more like 5.

Just tried out the included lavender potpourri (smells awesome!) on 220c for 15 minutes, and it's very nice if you inhale from about 2-3" away! Personal aromatherapy! Sublime!

The battery bar has gone down a tiny notch after about 2 sessions!

You're so lucky to live around the corner from Agracan....

AJS

Calm Consistency
Pretty sure the aromatherapy cup is useless....no holes in it
I don't think there's supposed to be holes ...? The heat travels up and heats the bowl with the herbs or oil in it right?
I'm (trying) making some basil oil extract with corn oil to see how it goes....I'll try dried basil and also the oil and see if any can give me some aromas.

Also shipping update ... my Solo 2 is in Chicago right now ... that's like halfway here! Wooooo

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I've used the aroma therapy cup on the old Solo. The cup holds the aroma therapy oil and I add some water. It doesn't need holes because then it wouldn't work as a defuser. It would leak oil and make a mess.

The oil will get hot, pop oil and burn if too hot. The aroma therapy cup does a ok job. I've used it with the Enano too. I like using a defuser verses candles. You don't get soot with a defuser. I don't use incense because of that.

biohacker

I don't think there's supposed to be holes ...? The heat travels up and heats the bowl with the herbs or oil in it right?

There isn't, but there should be IMO as it's more suited toward potpourri than oils, although you could put just a few drops in it. A tiny hole or two (or 4 like the stem bowls?) would allow proper diffusion and make it more effective. The included lavender is really nice and fragrant. The unit is designed for "personal aromatherapy", not to diffuse into a room.

You'll see that when you get yours and read the manual ;) It actually says to hold below your nose and gently inhale. Works great for that!

My personal favourite way of diffusing essential oils (other than my ultrasonic cool mist diffuser - that thing is amazing), is using the E-Nano with the Solo aromatherapy dish (haven't tried epicvape own yet) and adding a little water and a few drops of oil. Super effective, just need to keep an eye on it boiling! :lol:

Still can't get over how awesome this Solo 2 is, although since i've ran a few burnoff cycles, without adding herb to mask it, it's still pretty robot fartish and solder/metal smelling. :shrug:

btka

Still can't get over how awesome this Solo 2 is, although since i've ran a few burnoff cycles, without adding herb to mask it, it's still pretty robot fartish and solder/metal smelling. :shrug:

that was the reason I returned my solo (was my first or second vape I bought) and why I continued combusting... until I bought,a volcano... I could not understand how inhaling plastic or solder/metal smelling fumes could be better for my health... hmmm funny that it did not change... I was really upset and as I stated returned it immediately...

biohacker

I too remember the entire robot fart fiasco with the solo when it first was released what seems like forever ago. Same with the flaking "organic" inert ceramic issue which Arizer gave up on after excuses about "bad batches". Ahhhhh, those were the days! lol I digress. That robot fart fiasco was a real issue, and there was something really wrong going on there, but was rectified. This isn't the same thing. This is simply burnoff manufacturing residue and whatnot, not much different than the plastic stinking crafty/mighty when new.

Surely some vapes need this, others (like my Supreme) do not.... but i'm not too concerned. It's usually using the device with cannabis that makes it go away, I guess somewhat by masking but also with use and "seasoning". I'm a good test case for this since I can't use cannabis yet (although my girl can but I won't let her touch my solo yet lol) so i'm going to keep doing these burn off cycles and get to the bottom of it.

I think once I use an iso qtip and clean it up some with some more burn offs it should be ok. It was super gross inhaling through the stems and inhaling that solder/metal vapour or whatever it is. Hopefully it goes away, without having to use cannabis in it.

DrewVape

Disagree, and I think I can speak for @OF here as well. Try reaching top temp, and then insert your stem and pull - and see how "convective" it is?

That 30s heatsoak is just that - conduction. :2c:

As it applies to herbal extractions, convection/conduction is more about pulling air through or around the material, not the heat source. An EQ elbow pack is convection, because air is forced through the material. A loosely packes ddave or stock bowl is conduction. Basically a loose pack is conduction. And conduction sucks because plant matter absorbs resin when it melts down.

Solo is mostly convection. It takes 40 seconds after you insert the glass because the glass soaks up the heat and the oven temperature drops as the temp level out. That's why anything takes anytime to heat up. Material absorbs heat. More material, more heat retention: longer more consistent hits. The glass is like a capacitor.it must be charged by the stainless.

With the old pvhes you got better hits due to better airflow through the wide herb footprint. Rather than pulling down the center like most vapes (poor convection as air is not pulled through the herb evenly, but goes around most of it..)

Most vapes could kick ass if the herb was treated like a physical filter for the hot air path to filter THROUGH, rather than the air passing AROUND the resin soaked herb. That is convection vs conduction. Too much time spent on heaters, no engineering of herb chambers (for what its worth, no i never got full extraction from the stock glass like i did from pvhes. You just can't waft air over something and expect the juice to be sucked out of the middle.)

How wide are the holes on the Solo 2 glass? Can it fit a mesh screen to help suspend the bud? And why won't Arizer make a shorty bowl for micro dosers? lol

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Solo is mostly convection.
I don't agree that it is mostly convection, and I wouldn't characterize it as a convection vaporizer. IMO There is some convection occurring during the beginning of the draw, but the bowl has already been heated in the chamber (like an oven) by then so most of the heat has already been transferred to the load. Unless the load isn't being heated between draws, I don't personally consider it to be a convection vape.:2c:

In any case, this thread is not really the place to re-hash this subject, but anyone is free to start a thread about it in the general vape discussion section. Let's keep this thread on the SoloII track.

Thanks.

:peace:

AJS

Calm Consistency
There isn't, but there should be IMO as it's more suited toward potpourri than oils, although you could put just a few drops in it. A tiny hole or two (or 4 like the stem bowls?) would allow proper diffusion and make it more effective. The included lavender is really nice and fragrant. The unit is designed for "personal aromatherapy", not to diffuse into a room.

You'll see that when you get yours and read the manual ;) It actually says to hold below your nose and gently inhale. Works great for that!

My personal favourite way of diffusing essential oils (other than my ultrasonic cool mist diffuser - that thing is amazing), is using the E-Nano with the Solo aromatherapy dish (haven't tried epicvape own yet) and adding a little water and a few drops of oil. Super effective, just need to keep an eye on it boiling! :lol:

Very good points man .. understood!

Good luck with the burnoffs! Hope it's smooth sailing for me!

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Simple mod to improve airflow on good old Solo and Air — put a screen to the oven bottom. Use screen of 15+ mm diameter, so it will keep itself securely by tension. This adds air gaps and prevents herbs from direct contact with oven. Mod is reversible, remove the screen anytime.

YPf8az8l.jpg

Once I put a second, domed screen on top. This further increased airflow, lowered the heat and increased convection/conduction ratio. At the same time this increased battery consumption a lot, so I removed domed screen. Sorry, no exact photo, but you may get an idea from the photo of the same VapCap mod below. There I placed domed screen to the cap bottom to prevent it from direct contact with tobacco and avoid charring.

2ARz4HQl.jpg

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Simple mod to improve airflow on good old Solo and Air — put a screen to the oven bottom. Use screen of 15+ mm diameter, so it will keep itself securely by tension. This adds air gaps and prevents herbs from direct contact to oven. Mod is reversible, remove the screen anytime.

YPf8az8l.jpg

Once I put a second, domed screen on top. This further increased airflow, lowered the heat and increased convection/conduction ratio. At the same time this increased battery consumption a lot, so I removed domed screen. Sorry, no exact photo, but you may get an idea from the photo of the same VapCap mod below. There I placed domed screen to the cap bottom to prevent it from direct contact with tobacco and avoid charring.

2ARz4HQl.jpg

I love the effort and thinking of new ways to improve things....
I do the same...

But the same is achieved my simple not packing your vapcap tight to the end... (which your not supposed to do)...

I suppose it avoids lifting the stem on the old solo to improve the airflow...
But I don't do that anyway, I find my solo to have more than adequate airflow....

Still, good thinking...

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
But the same is achieved my simple not packing your vapcap tight to the end... (which your not supposed to do)...
It does not work with pipe tobacco I use, which is ribbon cut. It is not easy to pack pretty large ribbons this way. When heated, those ribbons straighten and come into direct contact with cap bottom anyway.
I suppose it avoids lifting the stem on the old solo to improve the airflow...
Yes, and it is easier to use, more stable as well as precise.

Last edited:

biohacker

Good luck with the burnoffs!

Thanks man! Your good vibes worked! I did another cycle yesterday and tried the aromatherapy dish with lavender in a bedroom (didn't do anything), and tried again this morning and voila! Acceptable! No ISO qtip swab yet either, so this confirms it's just because it's brand new and manufacturing residue. I inserted a stem and inhaled and that gross solder taste is 95% gone, with a proper cleaning with iso, and another burn off or two, and it will meet my rigid OCD standards! :lol:

May I ask why???

Wrong thread for that, check out my posts in the CannaBreak thread! ;)

Simple mod to improve airflow on good old Solo and Air — put a screen to the oven bottom. Use screen of 15+ mm diameter, so it will keep itself securely by tension. This adds air gaps and prevents herbs from direct contact with oven. Mod is reversible, remove the screen anytime.

Cool! This is one thing I have to mention, as I remember a member recently stating that the stem does not need to be lifted anymore. this is not my experience. If I put in the stem all the way in, just like the air and solo, it's pretty dang restrictive. Just lift it a tiny touch (1mm), and BOOM awesome airflow!!! So your mod is pretty good IMO! Not sure i'll put in a screen, but it may not be a bad idea and worth experimenting with. It's easy for me to just lift up the stem a touch, but your screen would provide an extra safety/barrier so particles wouldn't fall into the holes.

Then again, Arizer says in the manual that stainless steel screens negatively affect taste, so there's that :brow:

I also need to mention that the manual is pretty good, the quality itself is good and it's very well laid out. It's the second vape manual i've seen that has recommended UNGROUND or COARSELY ground material, first being the Supreme.

I'd like to see someone be able to take on the stainless screen challenge though.... a blind "pepsi test" challenge with one aroma stem with a stainless screen, and one without and just see if that negative taste can be tasted :rofl:

Even without using it with cannabis, I already know that the Solo 2 is a keeper! The heatup time is INSANE (still haven't tested but i'm thinking more like <20s to max temp), the battery life is awesome, the form factor is a big improvement, and the airflow is pretty much WIDE open!!!! :clap:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Does it really work well with unground material? As an Arizer Air owner I have a hard time picturing that.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: OF

OF

We discussed this a time or two on the Solo thread, not sure about the Air but doubt it. I believe the consensus was it didn't improve the airflow past a low point (since the flow is still restricted by the four holes which are unchanged), the only improvement possible is 'unblocking' those tiny holes. And it also inhibited vapor production (compared to no screen there) once the hit starts since no useful ('new') heat can enter the load this way after the hit starts (conduction is blocked).

By all means, those interested should try it. I and a lot of others did, just because we took it out again doesn't mean you won't like it.

Does it really work well with unground material? As an Arizer Air owner I have a hard time picturing that.

Yes, it does. You should try it. It's fast and easy, but IMO not optimum since the 'pack' isn't all that good. But, since it's conduction, the heat soaks into the bud centers. In fact everything inside the oven eventually?

My experience is the rate/recovery suffers compared to a conventional 'medium to fine grind, lightly packed', more so after a hit or two. You can counter this some by pulling the stem and 'repacking' a bit as the bud structure breaks down. This means gaps above the load (or below it if you're not a hamster.....), of course, but I think the improved conduction by better contact offsets any losses handily.

But I think all those with well cured 'top shelf budlets" available should give it a try. It's a useful option I think, many use it all or most of the time? And it's handy to know you can fall back on the technique in 'emergencies'.

But, again, first hand experience beats good ideas from the web (good as this Forum is). It's really the only way to find what 'fits your pistol'.

Regards to all.

OF

AJS

Calm Consistency
Thanks man! Your good vibes worked! I did another cycle yesterday and tried the aromatherapy dish with lavender in a bedroom (didn't do anything), and tried again this morning and voila! Acceptable! No ISO qtip swab yet either, so this confirms it's just because it's brand new and manufacturing residue. I inserted a stem and inhaled and that gross solder taste is 95% gone, with a proper cleaning with iso, and another burn off or two, and it will meet my rigid OCD standards!
Nice man!! Awesome to hear. My vibes travel far and wide to the vapes seeking help. (The lavender not doing anything made me lol).

I also need to mention that the manual is pretty good, the quality itself is good and it's very well laid out. It's the second vape manual i've seen that has recommended UNGROUND or COARSELY ground material, first being the Supreme.
Wooooo for good manuals!! @DDave is one of the first to recommend me coarse grind in his Milaana mods because it adds extra flavor without destroying the terps ... and actually gave me a free coarse grinder to prove to me how much better it can be. I haven't used my other grinder since ... don't even look in that direction anymore lol. (P.S. thanks ddave!)

and the airflow is pretty much WIDE open!!!!
I hope this isn't as subjective as I'm making it out to be. Some people said the GH is wide open ... they obviously haven't tried an LSV. Going from the lsv to a GH is like breathing air through your mouth compared to breathing through a stuffy nose. Maybe not so extreme ... but the LSV is WIDE ... there's maybe a 5% restriction compared to regular breathing. I thought the Nano was open airflow after using my Arizer Air ... now that Nano feels very restricted compared to my Milaana. Maybe it's all relative?
In the end ... as long as if you pull with your mouth (not with your lungs) and you don't pucker like you're smoking a too packed joint ... then I'm honestly pretty happy with it.
(I feel like I come off as bashing you sometimes but I'm really just trying to compare perspectives, I promise :) )
I'd like to see someone be able to take on the stainless screen challenge though.... a blind "pepsi test" challenge with one aroma stem with a stainless screen, and one without and just see if that negative taste can be tasted :rofl:
lol this would be an awesome test. Personally I'm not sure if I'd taste the steel itself ... but maybe after a couple seshes the steel would have tiny plant matter or residue that is technically overvaped compared to the fresh load that could be tasted? I know my all glass Milaana mod tastes different than my steel basket mod but the design is also different which could be affecting flavor. Personally I ALWAYS used screens back in my Air days because I hated particles getting through and latching to the inside of the stem ... but that was also before I knew about coarse grinds ;)

Can someone explain to me "hamster" lol

biohacker

Wooooo for good manuals!! @DDave is one of the first to recommend me coarse grind in his Milaana mods because it adds extra flavor without destroying the terps ... and actually gave me a free coarse grinder to prove to me how much better it can be. I haven't used my other grinder since ... don't even look in that direction anymore lol. (P.S. thanks ddave!)

Nice to see you evolving my friend, I too agree that coarse grinds are where it's at! I used to think the finer the better due to surface to mass ratio but we both know that isn't the case eh?

I hope this isn't as subjective as I'm making it out to be. Some people said the GH is wide open ... they obviously haven't tried an LSV. Going from the lsv to a GH is like breathing air through your mouth compared to breathing through a stuffy nose. Maybe not so extreme ... but the LSV is WIDE ... there's maybe a 5% restriction compared to regular breathing. I thought the Nano was open airflow after using my Arizer Air ... now that Nano feels very restricted compared to my Milaana. Maybe it's all relative?
In the end ... as long as if you pull with your mouth (not with your lungs) and you don't pucker like you're smoking a too packed joint ... then I'm honestly pretty happy with it.
(I feel like I come off as bashing you sometimes but I'm really just trying to compare perspectives, I promise

I never perceive you as bashing me at all bro, and agree with you fully that the LSV is probably the least restrictive vape out there. The Solo 2 isn't that open ofcourse, but compared to the previous iteration, it sure feels like it! As long as the stem isn't sitting flush, you will be MORE than happy with it trust me, because i'm quite affected by airflow as well, and agree with the GH. It will be contingent on your grind and pack density obviously, but it's great! Arizer definitely improved in this area, and so many others. The Nano I agree has plenty of restriction.

Personally I ALWAYS used screens back in my Air days because I hated particles getting through and latching to the inside of the stem ... but that was also before I knew about coarse grinds ;)

Can someone explain to me "hamster" lol

Same here man, and i'll be using screens indeed for that very reason, i'm a clean freak!

Hamster style refers to the bent curved aromatube, and using the Solo upside down with it kind of like a hamster water tube! :D

AJS

Calm Consistency
I used to think the finer the better due to surface to mass ratio but we both know that isn't the case eh?
Right on mon!

I never perceive you as bashing me at all bro
Glad we're on the same page! Just like to double check :)

As long as the stem isn't sitting flush, you will be MORE than happy with it trust me, because i'm quite affected by airflow as well, and agree with the GH.
Duuuude awesome man. With a conduction hybrid vape I don't care about super strong airflow ... I use the Dynavap "M" almost all the way closed off ... just as long as it's comfortable and feels natural that's all that matters right! Love your input man.

Hamster style refers to the bent curved aromatube, and using the Solo upside down with it kind of like a hamster water tube! :D
At first I was like, oh cool the bent stem ... still don't understand how that refers to hamster ...? Then kept reading and the picture you painted had me laughing man ... so funny. I imagine hanging it next to my bed rolling over and having it right there ... right next to where I keep my human sized hamster water tube :D:lol::haw:

Loving this thread so far ... gunna be a good one that's for sure!!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Maybe the "Cobra clutch" haha
My lady friend has a tiny thumb that doesn't have a knuckle in it to bend so it's essentially like a less functional pinky ... she has to pick up items with her pointer and middle finger. I believe her picking up the Solo2 would be a cobra clutch ...? :haw: :D

biohacker

Interesting observation from the 2 manual... Arizer states that vaping using lower temperatures will preserve battery longevity. It's obvious that heat kills batteries, but this is the first manual i've seen that has specifically said this.

Explains why my Crafty's never last! :lol:

I've had my fun testing the Solo 2 and doing necessary burnoffs, so now at about 1/2 charge or slightly more (how it arrived) I have put it into storage until the vapour gods grace me with the "green light" so to speak!

I also don't recall who, but someone mentioned that the stems didn't fit all the way in compared to the Solo and just not sit in as deep? Was it @Vitolo IIRC ? And this is something you didn't like about it? If so, could you elaborate, because I did not notice this at all. My stems fit all the way in, and the bowl is the same depth? :shrug:

I timed from 14c to 220c and it came in under 40 seconds! Around 35s I do believe (there is a lag between the go button and the software to start climbing). But 20s to low vaping temp is completely possible! Crazy!

Arizer you've outdone yourself on this one! :rockon: Big time!

Top Bottom