Arizer Solo 3

PrematureEvaporation

Regarding the charring of the bottom of the load - I totally agree with @TigoleBitties that the majority of cases are from the load expanding as it heats up. That’s certainly been my experience.

You can use a standard stem sized load in the XL stem, this way it pushes it further from the oven. The issue then is the top of the load may not roast quite as well.

I get the worst expansion with bits of nugs or coarser grinds. The finer the grind the less it expands, but the more chance you have of blocking some airflow.

I think the meta for native use will definitely be a hi flow cooling stem - you can use a finer grind and get less expansion whilst you also avoid airflow issues. Or upside down on a WPA and your choice of glass.

The more I’ve gotten to know my solo I’ve began to realise the fused screen glass stems are a far from perfect system, but that flavour is just unbeatable

pop22

Regarding the charring of the bottom of the load - I totally agree with @TigoleBitties that the majority of cases are from the load expanding as it heats up. That’s certainly been my experience.

You can use a standard stem sized load in the XL stem, this way it pushes it further from the oven. The issue then is the top of the load may not roast quite as well.ng

I get the worst expansion with bits of nugs or coarser grinds. The finer the grind the less it expands, but the more chance you have of blocking some airflow.

I think the meta for native use will definitely be a hi flow cooling stem - you can use a finer grind and get less expansion whilst you also avoid airflow issues. Or upside down on a WPA and your choice of glass.

The more I’ve gotten to know my solo I’ve began to realise the fused screen glass stems are a far from perfect system, but that flavour is just unbeatable
Mine was charring at 345F! At 390F It was combusting. I agree though that normally, loading the stem as recommenced helps. I'm going to try glass spacers from 420EDC. They have a 2mm spacer that should work perfectly.

PrematureEvaporation

Mine was charring at 345F! At 390F It was combusting. I agree though that normally, loading the stem as recommenced helps. I'm going to try glass spacers from 420EDC. They have a 2mm spacer that should work perfectly.

That is so odd that your device did that. When I was first learning to pack it right I had half the material fall out the stem and onto the oven floor at 220c, other than a charred taste I had no combustion. I don’t think I could combust in mine if I tried!

From what I’ve read the temp settings aren’t really temp settings, in terms of say 210c meaning the load is at 210c. On the device side it’s more a low and high limit of heat applied by the heater that roughly corresponds to the temp chosen.

I guess what I mean to say is seeing as it’s not an exact thing, there’s probably variations per device on what each temp setting actually means in terms of real temp. Maybe some are leaving the factory calibrated way too hot relative to the setting

chillAtGVC

The first night's results are inconclusive as the scorching does not always happen. It did not happen last night thought the top of the weed was pretty dark. I may be overloading it a bet as I usually try to get about 0.25g in an XL bowl. I will try a looser load (0.5g spread over 3 bowls) tonight to see what effect that has.

The load was less roasted than usual so that is a plus.

Astedra

Well after less then 3 months on the Solo 3, I got the Error 10 message. About to google what that means, but I just felt like posting my disappointment here as I had 2 solo 2's, and one went over 2 years, the other year and a half, and this one LESS THEN 3 MONTHS. I guess it's too much to expect a reliable device. :( My faith is Solo's has been destroyed.

pop22

Well after less then 3 months on the Solo 3, I got the Error 10 message. About to google what that means, but I just felt like posting my disappointment here as I had 2 solo 2's, and one went over 2 years, the other year and a half, and this one LESS THEN 3 MONTHS. I guess it's too much to expect a reliable device. :( My faith is Solo's has been destroyed.
Well, anything you can buy new can fail and being a new product . My S2 made it almost three years. But my S3 is defective. They are replacing it. However, I'm not pleased with Arizer service, they gave my a line of crap about how they are doing me a favor by not charging me return shipping! I bought it from POTV, ad I could have had them replace it instead. they would have not only paid the return shipping, it would have been Priority Mail not USPS ground like Arizer...... I've NEVER had to pay for a returned vape, and I've had quite a few duds, like 5 failed Mighty, and a couple of Teras

Moody

Well, anything you can buy new can fail and being a new product . My S2 made it almost three years. But my S3 is defective. They are replacing it. However, I'm not pleased with Arizer service, they gave my a line of crap about how they are doing me a favor by not charging me return shipping! I bought it from POTV, ad I could have had them replace it instead. they would have not only paid the return shipping, it would have been Priority Mail not USPS ground like Arizer...... I've NEVER had to pay for a returned vape, and I've had quite a few duds, like 5 failed Mighty, and a couple of Tera

I am really sorry for your luck. Your s2 didn't last 3 years (many stories of those units lasting 10+), new S3 is defective (seems rare too considering how many must be out in the wild by now and how few complaints you see online), 5 failed mightys? I have a mighty plus now over a couple years and very few complaints about those as well online. FIVE FAILS! that is ridiculously bad odds.

You have some of the worst luck I've ever heard about with vapes. I suggest not buying anything until after being blessed by various religious priests, shamans, etc, whatever, and obtaining multiple charms, talismans, etc to give you better luck.

I have no other suggestions.

GOOD LUCK MY STONER FRIEND. OMG YOU NEED IT. LETS ALL WISH THIS POOR SOUL SOME LUCK...and hopefully that does the trick. 😁

pop22

I am really sorry for your luck. Your s2 didn't last 3 years (many stories of those units lasting 10+), new S3 is defective (seems rare too considering how many must be out in the wild by now and how few complaints you see online), 5 failed mightys? I have a mighty plus now over a couple years and very few complaints about those as well online. FIVE FAILS! that is ridiculously bad odds.

You have some of the worst luck I've ever heard about with vapes. I suggest not buying anything until after being blessed by various religious priests, shamans, etc, whatever, and obtaining multiple charms, talismans, etc to give you better luck.

GOOD LUCK MY STONER FRIEND. OMG YOU NEED IT. LETS ALL WISH THIS POOR SOUL SOME LUCK...and hopefully that does the trick. 😁
The mighty were in the early days of that vape, they had a bum batch but didn't own up to it. I'd seen others who had defective mighty vapes. That's why they don't have a 10 year warranty anymore...I've probably owned just about every popular vape made, I'm a tech junkie lol! And for all the duds I had, I've had some great ones. not the most potent vape but the most reliable has been my Focus Vape Pro. $99 bought a vape in Jan. of 2016 and it still works fine! It got a lot of use at one time.

My S2, the power button failed. I can still file with it and get it to work, and I'm starting to think I should have just bought another S2, it's been an excellent vape. I have an Argo also I use a lot.

Moody

The mighty were in the early days of that vape, they had a bum batch but didn't own up to it. I'd seen others who had defective mighty vapes. That's why they don't have a 10 year warranty anymore...I've probably owned just about every popular vape made, I'm a tech junkie lol! And for all the duds I had, I've had some great ones. not the most potent vape but the most reliable has been my Focus Vape Pro. $99 bought a vape in Jan. of 2016 and it still works fine! It got a lot of use at one time.

My S2, the power button failed. I can still file with it and get it to work, and I'm starting to think I should have just bought another S2, it's been an excellent vape. I have an Argo also I use a lot.
Hey, how do you like the Argo for out and about mobile vaping? I was looking to pick something up with a smaller footprint for when walking the dog. My s3 is too big plus w stem eh...too much attention...mighty is too big as well...solo2max same thing w stem isn't really stealthy at all...does the Argo pack enough punch? Is it similar enough to giving enough vapor as say an s2? Wrong thread I know....but just a quick answer would suffice. Thanks!

Moody,
Reactions: pop22

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I've NEVER had to pay for a returned vape, and I've had quite a few duds

Actually this is nothing new, and nothing new from Arizer, I actually do think it is nice they didn't make you pay the return shipping, but I would have gone through POTV probably as is normally recommended to go through your retailer anyway? My second vape was the original Solo in 2014, well the updated version of it, without the ceramic and less of a milkshake, use while charging---however this feature is precisely what caused those defects, had to be replaced, through no fault of my own, and yes I had to pay to ship it back... Once again I felt there was a problem, and sent it back, same situation, I have also had to send back other products from other companies and retail situations, probably is like 50/50 who provided labels and who expected me to ship on my dime, then they would ship back on theirs in kind... Not an atypical policy at all in my experience :2c::peace:

chillAtGVC

The experiment continues. I packed in less last night and left a 2-3mm gap as I usually do. But I did not tamp as hard. I can't say that I noticed much difference in clouds or in the draw. As before the load was more evenly roasted so it appears that the heat-up period may exceed the set temperature for some period of time. The 1mm of load nearest the oven got quite dark but not charred. I also had more near combustion from the lighter tamp allowing bits to fall out and over cook.

chillAtGVC,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah even though past solo was so simple automatic consistent, the new S3 adds much more power and manual control versatility, leading to a much more varying experience depending exactly how you use it

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Moody

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The experiment continues. I packed in less last night and left a 2-3mm gap as I usually do. But I did not tamp as hard. I can't say that I noticed much difference in clouds or in the draw. As before the load was more evenly roasted so it appears that the heat-up period may exceed the set temperature for some period of time. The 1mm of load nearest the oven got quite dark but not charred. I also had more near combustion from the lighter tamp allowing bits to fall out and over cook.
Very strange. My roasts are always very uniform in color. I always use the Solo inverted with the WPA and a sherlock. Have you experimented to see if this behavior happens when the Solo is used inverted?

Also, I exclusively load the WPA (or stem) using the straw method. This guarantees you can get good airflow through the WPA (or stem). For tamping, I just brush off any excess from the edge of the bowl after straw loading, then I "tamp" by inhaling hard on the stem/WPA. It usually pulls the flower in a couple mm and it's nice and tight but still with good airflow.

pop22

Hey, how do you like the Argo for out and about mobile vaping? I was looking to pick something up with a smaller footprint for when walking the dog. My s3 is too big plus w stem eh...too much attention...mighty is too big as well...solo2max same thing w stem isn't really stealthy at all...does the Argo pack enough punch? Is it similar enough to giving enough vapor as say an s2? Wrong thread I know....but just a quick answer would suffice. Thanks!
I like the Argo a lot! Very portable and pretty good vapor production for the size of it! I also have a couple of extended stems I use mostly, except when traveling. And it's quick to load and empty! Not quite s nice as my DaVinci IQC but for quality but still and excellent vape.

Astedra

I had 2 crafties and every 3 months or so they broke. Go look at the venty forum how shity the venty is. Maybe the venty + will be better. It's normal for S$B products the portables to need warranty. It's not bad odds you have with the mighty that's how the mighty is. One poster sent his mighty back 6 times. We can put a man on the moon yadiyada and we can't make a reliable portable vape. Fax.

Astedra,
Reactions: pop22

Duba

Accessory Maker
I haven't tried any other Solo before the 3, but it's true that this one has quite a lot of heating and conduction power, and I also often find myself with the top of the bowl quite blackened.
Now, i avoid bringing plants too close to the oven, I've lowered the temperature and I've noticed that removing the bowl between the draws helps, although it's not very practical.
The avb is often quite dark and homogeneous in spite of everything.

Very strange. My roasts are always very uniform in color. I always use the Solo inverted with the WPA and a sherlock. Have you experimented to see if this behavior happens when the Solo is used inverted?
it helps imo.

I made new leather covers, experimenting with color variations after the classic brown dyes :

pop22

Actually this is nothing new, and nothing new from Arizer, I actually do think it is nice they didn't make you pay the return shipping, but I would have gone through POTV probably as is normally recommended to go through your retailer anyway? My second vape was the original Solo in 2014, well the updated version of it, without the ceramic and less of a milkshake, use while charging---however this feature is precisely what caused those defects, had to be replaced, through no fault of my own, and yes I had to pay to ship it back... Once again I felt there was a problem, and sent it back, same situation, I have also had to send back other products from other companies and retail situations, probably is like 50/50 who provided labels and who expected me to ship on my dime, then they would ship back on theirs in kind... Not an atypical policy at all in my experience :2c::peace:
Yes, but i feel that after plunking down over $300, i expected better. Just my opinion though. Oh and the S3 was to replace a S2 Max that was completely borked right out of the box! Battery dead after two uses, the electronics acted screwy, yep, my luck has not been good lately lol!

Pappy

shmaporist
I've owned numerous Arizer vapes, as you can see in my sig. Have never owned a Solo 1/2 that didn't die from Error 5. Not 1, never. It's built into Arizer's marketing model, planned obsolescence! Arizer disappoints again? How disappointing.

vpr85

I've owned numerous Arizer vapes, as you can see in my sig. Have never owned a Solo 1/2 that didn't die from Error 5. Not 1, never. It's built into Arizer's marketing model, planned obsolescence! Arizer disappoints again? How disappointing.
lol, I've had Arizer devices that have lasted over 10 years with daily use and Ive seen a bunch of people here and on reddit with similar experiences to mine. I have also had some errors on a couple Arizer devices. with battery powered electronics that heat to high temperatures and get used and abused regularly, it's not suprising that some defects happen over time. I don't think its planned obsolecense, I think you may have had bad luck.

Pappy

shmaporist
lol, I've had Arizer devices that have lasted over 10 years with daily use and Ive seen a bunch of people here and on reddit with similar experiences to mine. I have also had some errors on a couple Arizer devices. with battery powered electronics that heat to high temperatures and get used and abused regularly, it's not suprising that some defects happen over time. I don't think its planned obsolecense, I think you may have had bad luck.
Dozens on FC have experienced Error 5. https://fuckcombustion.com/search/3115352/?q="error+5"&o=date

Pappy,
  • Wow
Reactions: Rodney

Rodney

yes both things are true as is the nature of devices that combine electronics and heat. :)

Top Bottom