Arizer Solo 3

PrematureEvaporation

Maybe it's all in my head but when I tried an A/B test with the glass-screened and hi-flow stems, I felt the hi-flow stems had a more open draw. The difference was minor but noticeable nonetheless.

Your second point it spot on though. The glass-screened stems are prone to getting clogged easily. If even one hole gets blocked you lose 20-25% airflow depending on whether it's an XL or regular stem. The likelihood of this happening is fairly high so yeah... the hi-flow stems are well worth the investment.
Interesting… I’ve always thought the max airflow was dictated by the oven as that’s what I’ve read, but if these stems unlock extra airflow I’ll be very happy to be wrong! Looking forward to trying the hi-flow even more now. Do you notice any impact on flavour with the metal mesh screens?

Yeah you’re damn right it’s a high likelihood. It’s happened to me so many times that I’ve gotten quite good at telling how many holes are clogged based on how much of a restriction I feel. I’ve been ripping off large chunks from buds the last few days and it’s been bliss having perfect airflow every time… just uses a lot more material I’ve been finding

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Interesting… I’ve always thought the max airflow was dictated by the oven as that’s what I’ve read, but if these stems unlock extra airflow I’ll be very happy to be wrong! Looking forward to trying the hi-flow even more now. Do you notice any impact on flavour with the metal mesh screens?
Yeah airflow sensitivity is fairly subjective but even if you don't notice anything, the benefit of not clogging is worth it. I didn't notice any impact from the metal.
Yeah you’re damn right it’s a high likelihood. It’s happened to me so many times that I’ve gotten quite good at telling how many holes are clogged based on how much of a restriction I feel. I’ve been ripping off large chunks from buds the last few days and it’s been bliss having perfect airflow every time… just uses a lot more material I’ve been finding
As someone suggested earlier in this thread, you could try placing a mesh screen on top of the glass screen in the standard stem to keep the glass holes from clogging. By doing this experiment, you should not only solve your clogging problem while waiting on the hi-flow stems but you'll also see if you notice any metal taste from adding the screen. 👍

Rodney

If you just use the original stem without first putting in a mesh the experience is totally different as the 4 little holes continuously block threw out the draw.

I cut out my own screen from a bigger screen and cut it so it fits and stays in place. When emptying it just be careful as it will come out first few times when you blow the AVB out but after a few bowls it wont come out.

Like seriously to anyone who just uses the original stem and does not put a mesh screen first then the weed, just stop doing ti and try with a screen and it is a totally different vaping experience no matter the grind.

Just before making this post I tried it without the screen to make sure before making this post and it is horrible and not much clouds at all compared to when you use the screen first.

If anyone has time please please try this and post back.

I will still get the good airflow stem from RVS when it comes in and will post back my finding on how I find it.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I am really loving my WPA from GVB instead and see almost no reason I would use the stock stems again (even if with screens) definitely better airflow now, but if I wanted to maximize conduction then maybe I would use the glass screens again and not mind puffing slower with more restriction

pop22

Has anyone found their S3 to run extremely hot? I just got mine, have had a S2 for three years. I ran the S2 @ 390F through a bong and that was perfect. I set up the S3 exactly the same. Same herbs as used with the S2. And I fried my lungs! I couldn't vape for a couple of days afterwards, it was incredibly harsh. I've tested it again with the temp down to 345F and though much better, it's still a bit harsh. Never had this happen with the S2!

PrematureEvaporation

@TigoleBitties @Rodney

Okay so I’ve taken your advice and had a play around with the screens in the stem. I get it now. It does help to keep the holes in the stem clear by sort of lifting the load off it. I do find that the screen falls out very easily when debowling so it’s not great for on the go. I definitely agree cutting a larger one to size so it sticks better is the right move here. Either way it’s very nice to just pack some material in and not have to worry about any issues. Much easier on the throat too. Seem to be able to clear a bowl faster too if I want, which surprised me. I guess that unlocked airflow simply allows a larger volume of vapour to pull through - and then that powerful oven replenishes it all within a few seconds.

If the hi-flow are simply a more refined version of this setup then I’ll absolutely be daily driving them. Can’t wait!

Definitely worth trying the screens for anyone having airflow issues or problems with harsh vapour - 90% of the time when the solo has hurt my chest or throat it’s been when I’ve felt an airflow restriction

Old Stoner1958

I go for CTSCANS every six months because I smoked for 50 years. No issues have ever come up except the last time a couple weeks ago. They said my lungs were very irratated or I had an infection. I know I dont have an infection and have no issues with my breathing. The only change I can think of is I got the S# when it came out and have been using HIFLO stems which do not cool well at all. I am now using the PHIL BOTL XL and PHIL JAM from 420EDC and they cool very well. I also have 420EDC's latest stem the PillO PillO XL coming in today which is said to have even better cooling. If you dont use water I believe these are the best bet for cooler vapor.

Marcus

After reading the last few posts, I decided to suck on my oven, then suck on my stem.

The stem is definitely the pinch point of airflow.

Also I took the rubber lid off the unit and that hole the lid is attached into is also an air intake.

This thing is a bloody good vape. I grabbed a "rattler" stem and that is working well for me.
And the little budgie bubbler too. Real pleasant way to use it, like a terpy laid back mini bong session.

chillAtGVC

After reading the last few posts, I decided to suck on my oven, then suck on my stem.

The stem is definitely the pinch point of airflow.

Also I took the rubber lid off the unit and that hole the lid is attached into is also an air intake.

This thing is a bloody good vape. I grabbed a "rattler" stem and that is working well for me.
And the little budgie bubbler too. Real pleasant way to use it, like a terpy laid back mini bong session.
I think you are wrong. I've done this experiment a while ago. Sucking on that hole brings in air that is not normally available when a stem is inserted. If you put in an empty standard Arizer stem and then a high flow stem and suck on each, you will see that the airflow restriction is quite a lot higher for each than sucking on that hole. The oven has a built in restriction and no stem is going to reduce that.

Rodney

I just paid £10 for 9 stems from Ali express and 4 dosing caps for £10 (Rogue FURY EDGE) I like the caps in the TM2 so :)

out of interest are any of the other Arizer portables any good?

Last edited:
Rodney,

PrematureEvaporation

The S3 has the most powerful heater and produces the most robust vapor clouds compared to my other Arizer portables. Definitely a big step up from previous models. Hope their next release is in this class.
I’d love to see a new Air model with this heater, especially if it was a simplified session only device with a more straightforward UI. Would be a great addition to the lineup that doesn’t step on the S3’s toes too much. Would definitely pick one up to take down the pub or walking the dog.

That way you have two devices with the new heater and then the Solo 2 Max and Air SE for the classic Arizer experience. Some people seem to still really like those for a bit more flavour and a slower session.

Let the Solo 3 keep all the bells and whistles, then it’s still a proper flagship and not just a device with a bigger battery.

That’s how I’d do it anyway

Matrix

Has anyone found their S3 to run extremely hot? I just got mine, have had a S2 for three years. I ran the S2 @ 390F through a bong and that was perfect. I set up the S3 exactly the same. Same herbs as used with the S2. And I fried my lungs! I couldn't vape for a couple of days afterwards, it was incredibly harsh. I've tested it again with the temp down to 345F and though much better, it's still a bit harsh. Never had this happen with the S2!

Hi, yes but my Solo3 is a little bit weird and I'm not sure what to think :

I have the feeling that my s3 is overheating but ONLY at the heating up process !
Even with a low 185c (365f) temperature, session mode, the herbs at the bottom of my bowl will turn black (close to combustion) after ONLY a few draws and the taste is not very good. Yes I keep a 2mm gap and I don't overpack !

Then I tried something different for a few weeks : I put the stem ONLY after the heating-up process, and then everything is fine !!! The taste is good, the cooking is even..... the session is perfect, I can set it to 210c all the session and it's not overcook !
BUT if I put my stem before I start the Solo3, it's not the same experience at all....

What do you think about that ? Am I the only one ? Am I crazy ?

pop22

I have the feeling that my s3 is overheating but ONLY at the heating up process !
Even with a low 185c (365f) temperature, session mode, the herbs at the bottom of my bowl will turn black (close to combustion) after ONLY a few draws and the taste is not very good. Yes I keep a 2mm gap and I don't overpack !

Then I tried something different for a few weeks : I put the stem ONLY after the heating-up process, and then everything is fine !!! The taste is good, the cooking is even..... the session is perfect, I can set it to 210c all the session and it's not overcook !
BUT if I put my stem before I start the Solo3, it's not the same experience at all....

Sounds similar to mine. The herb shouldn't be turning black, as mine is. I put in a service request with Arizer and I believe they are going to replace mine. I believe mine was combusting and I can't smoke from a bong, it tears up my lungs, and that's what this was doing

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy

Unless it is really a software issue, the only explanation I have is this.

I generally never load the bowl cold because the stems are easier to insert when the oven is hot. If you squeeze the loaded stem in cold, it usually gets stuck and you have to push a bit. Sometimes this pushing can lead to flower falling out of the stem and touching the oven directly when the stem finally snaps into place. Any flower touching the oven will burn and taste terrible. Did you happen to notice any loose flower in the oven area?

You can prevent this in a few ways. You can use a mesh screen on top of your bowl to keep the flower in place. I try and always load the stems with the Solo inverted - turn the Solo upside down and push the stem upwards into the oven. Gravity will help to keep the flower in place. I actually always use the Solo with the WPA and a dry 14mm pipe so the unit is always upside down and no flower ever hits the oven.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: Rodney

Moody

I posted today (a little while ago) on the Solo2Max thread about my experience/thoughts on S3 vs S2Max. I have them both. If you already have an S3, then I don't see why you would buy anything else from Arizer except maybe a desktop or something smaller for out and about portability.

I find using the S3 with a regular stem is very similar to using the S2Max. My recommendation to anyone who does not need/want the XL sized oven/bowl or care about the on demand capability to get the S2Max if cost is a concern. The performance with a regular sized stem in each seems too similar to me to justify paying more for the S3....unless you need some specific feature from the S3 that the S2Max doesn't have.

I love the S3, but I only use it on the weekends with an XL stem or XL wpa now. The S2Max gets used during the week when I'm not in a rush to get to bed on time (I use dynavaps when I'm short on time and want to get things rolling quickly).

chillAtGVC

I never saw it as anything wrong, but I often get charring on the bottom and the AVB looks much darker than in the Venty at the same temperature. I have always attributed the charring to the load swelling when heated and the occasional bit that falls out. I am very curious to see the result of your method.

chillAtGVC,
Reactions: Matrix
Top Bottom