Arizer Solo 3

PrematureEvaporation

Regarding the charring of the bottom of the load - I totally agree with @TigoleBitties that the majority of cases are from the load expanding as it heats up. That’s certainly been my experience.

You can use a standard stem sized load in the XL stem, this way it pushes it further from the oven. The issue then is the top of the load may not roast quite as well.

I get the worst expansion with bits of nugs or coarser grinds. The finer the grind the less it expands, but the more chance you have of blocking some airflow.

I think the meta for native use will definitely be a hi flow cooling stem - you can use a finer grind and get less expansion whilst you also avoid airflow issues. Or upside down on a WPA and your choice of glass.

The more I’ve gotten to know my solo I’ve began to realise the fused screen glass stems are a far from perfect system, but that flavour is just unbeatable

pop22

Regarding the charring of the bottom of the load - I totally agree with @TigoleBitties that the majority of cases are from the load expanding as it heats up. That’s certainly been my experience.

You can use a standard stem sized load in the XL stem, this way it pushes it further from the oven. The issue then is the top of the load may not roast quite as well.ng

I get the worst expansion with bits of nugs or coarser grinds. The finer the grind the less it expands, but the more chance you have of blocking some airflow.

I think the meta for native use will definitely be a hi flow cooling stem - you can use a finer grind and get less expansion whilst you also avoid airflow issues. Or upside down on a WPA and your choice of glass.

The more I’ve gotten to know my solo I’ve began to realise the fused screen glass stems are a far from perfect system, but that flavour is just unbeatable
Mine was charring at 345F! At 390F It was combusting. I agree though that normally, loading the stem as recommenced helps. I'm going to try glass spacers from 420EDC. They have a 2mm spacer that should work perfectly.

PrematureEvaporation

Mine was charring at 345F! At 390F It was combusting. I agree though that normally, loading the stem as recommenced helps. I'm going to try glass spacers from 420EDC. They have a 2mm spacer that should work perfectly.

That is so odd that your device did that. When I was first learning to pack it right I had half the material fall out the stem and onto the oven floor at 220c, other than a charred taste I had no combustion. I don’t think I could combust in mine if I tried!

From what I’ve read the temp settings aren’t really temp settings, in terms of say 210c meaning the load is at 210c. On the device side it’s more a low and high limit of heat applied by the heater that roughly corresponds to the temp chosen.

I guess what I mean to say is seeing as it’s not an exact thing, there’s probably variations per device on what each temp setting actually means in terms of real temp. Maybe some are leaving the factory calibrated way too hot relative to the setting

chillAtGVC

The first night's results are inconclusive as the scorching does not always happen. It did not happen last night thought the top of the weed was pretty dark. I may be overloading it a bet as I usually try to get about 0.25g in an XL bowl. I will try a looser load (0.5g spread over 3 bowls) tonight to see what effect that has.

The load was less roasted than usual so that is a plus.

chillAtGVC,
Reactions: pop22
Top Bottom