Discontinued Zion vaporizer

CaptVapor

Did a quick/lazy search in this thread and saw lots of talk on mica used as insulation, are there any dangers we should know about the use of mica here? Mica would be harmful if inhaled so I'm wondering... RBT says mica can handle much higher heat levels than the Zion can provide but is there any data showing possible contamination of the vapor path at lower temps?

Also let's say you drop the Zion, is there any chance that some mica breaks off? I'd like to discuss the dangers of using mica in the vapor path and apologize if this has already been talked about.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Also let's say you drop the Zion, is there any chance that some mica breaks off? I'd like to discuss the dangers of using mica in the vapor path and apologize if this has already been talked about.

Not in this thread. Our rule is:
  • If you have a question or comment regarding material safety, post it in General Discussion. Do not post it in a model thread.

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Did a quick/lazy search in this thread and saw lots of talk on mica used as insulation, are there any dangers we should know about the use of mica here? Mica would be harmful if inhaled so I'm wondering... RBT says mica can handle much higher heat levels than the Zion can provide but is there any data showing possible contamination of the vapor path at lower temps?

Anyone interested please check our Design FAQ for detail on the Mica and Adhesive used in the Zion. Some of the Beta team members where leery of the use of mica and adhesive and I believe I proved to them that under the environmental conditions they are subjected to they are acceptable. All materials must be used within there limitations to perform as stated. Sometimes materials get a bad rap instead of the lack of engineering rigor used in the design process and end up labeled with as an "unacceptable material".

Smells can be detected as low as 2 ppm. A smell is the first indicator of outgassing and no odors have be detected in any of the beta units. The human nose is better than any air quality tester as the best detectors that struggle to detect less than 50 ppm.

Edit: @pakalolo I am not sure if this post breaks the rule but I believe if a post infers a material used in the device is unsafe a manufacture should be allowed to post a response or the post should be removed. jmo. We covered this around page 48 I believe... This redundancy is what is eliminated by the www FAQ being the centralized location for Q&A.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
. . . Went to stay with some friends at the weekend.

They were doing that whole combustion thing:puke: . . . but maaaaan, I was totally competing for cloud coverage! Whoa, I'm telling ya, this current deliciousness that I'm treating the goode Johnny-Z to is literally spewing out vapor, & I am truly loving it! Sooooooo tasty, and soooooo satisfyingly cloudy. These hits are clean out of the park! :ko:

Hats off to you Rasta if you're managing to reproduce anything that's coming anywhere near close to this instant little fog machine that I'm holding right here. Let alone even better! Brrrrrrr! That makes me shudder just thinking about it! :whoa:

Totally pumped to hear things are working out for you Mr.(RB)T! And I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I love it when a plan comes together!
hannibal1.jpg

Now just y'all wait 'til RBT comes busting out of that workshop!

This is gonna be epic.

:D

PeaceLoveRespect
:peace:

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
I'm thinking I picked the worst time to ask for a refund. I'm still looking forward to news on it though. I can't wait until it gets into everyone's hands. Keep it up. :rockon:
Ah man. R&M is currently my fav toon so I dig your Avatar... But I do understand so I'll get ya processed tonight but do come back. Hope the new R&M episodes start soon

Tommy10

Exciting! I'm only down for a single bat due to being international but given it will not be plagued with warranty problems like some other units (back and forth shipping to the down under gets veryyyy expensive :/) could be worth getting it third party sent once production starts. Where as with other more technical vapes I'm more inclined to wait for the headaches to be ironed out.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ah man. R&M is currently my fav toon so I dig your Avatar... But I do understand so I'll get ya processed tonight but do come back. Hope the new R&M episodes start soon

Unfortunately it's gonna be a while still until season 3... (Let me know if you want some suggestions for other ones in the meantime, wait no keep working! ;):whip:).

This reminds me of waiting for Zion too, though now its gonna get easier again:

Uz1MCkn.gif

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
As promised here is a more detailed update littered with gramor and spellin' airors...

http://www.rastabuddhatao.net/zion-progress

...and back by popular demand the waiting list. This should help keep a first come first serve order... I hate having to by my tickets on StubHub 3 minutes after tickets go on sale lol.

Well, I'm headed back to the Dead and Co. show and a pile of heater screens that need fabricating.

Fission

Is everyone supposed to sign on the waiting list even if we've been waiting since June?
I believe the waiting list is for those who haven't ordered yet, but want to when RBT opens up orders again, because there's a good amount of people who can't wait to get the chance to order a Zion. Those of us who preordered already are just a bit ahead of the pack ;)

killick

But I like it!
^^ was the second thing in my basket, after the Zion :) TOD.... I can hold out, darnit. Especially since it's not really real yet :) Maybe I can hold out until the Steampunk designs that were bouncing around become reality - some cool ideas in this thread... Thats probably why it's so much fun!

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
^^ was the second thing in my basket, after the Zion :) TOD.... I can hold out, darnit. Especially since it's not really real yet :) Maybe I can hold out until the Steampunk designs that were bouncing around become reality - some cool ideas in this thread... Thats probably why it's so much fun!

The TOD is real. Really real. Believe me. Now that RBT has the heater problem solved it may be here fairly soon (i do not speak for RBT just my opinion). It is not as complicated as the Zion.

Edit. Check out the post number in my signature for the beta video if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
It's not a line, it's a tunnel! But when you'll reach the light at the end, there's no turning back... Ashton made me look at my other portables a different way... Now I use them to fill the times when I can't reach Zion... a meager substitute in comparison.

Did I mention how strong it is? :brow:

Mr. Me2

@IAmKrazy2 I agree since the TOD and UrS are both now on 18mm the new developments in the heater should mean once Zion production is at an acceptable level the only thing needed will be the final body designs.
I was looking for pictures or video of TOD and couldn't find it. Does it exist? Can you send a link? And what's UrS? You've piqued my interest, again...

Mr. Me2,

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Last edited:

killick

But I like it!
Thanks!!!

Be careful what you wish for... You might need a larger house to accommodate RBT models. I'm looking for the one the that runs off a pair of 6 v golf cart batteries, and follows you as you walk around the yard and always ready for action. I'm hoping the Skins are cool - I'm probably get the garden gnome first, and maybe the full Monty Python 'quest' theme, as soon as we can modify this version of Zion to play coconut shells...

So many options, only limited by imagination, strengths of materials, common sense and sanity. And some other stuff will find out as we make these ones :)

Top Bottom