Zephyr Ion

Heisenberg

scientific vaporist
Bruce@Zephyr said:
-Heisenberg
Wattage consumption for the ION - Still have to do some checking, I will get back to you.
hi bruce, any updates on this?

Heisenberg,

kazzy

Greetings everyone! New user here and new to vaping as well. I just bought my Zephyr Ion and have used it only a few times..I love it! The Ion couldnt be easier to use but the one question I have is where can the software be had? :)

kazzy,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
kazzy said:
Greetings everyone! New user here and new to vaping as well. I just bought my Zephyr Ion and have used it only a few times..I love it! The Ion couldnt be easier to use but the one question I have is where can the software be had? :)
you can sign up for the software release from the zephyr website. Www.zephyrvaporizers.com

Bruce@Zephyr,

kazzy

Bruce@Zephyr said:
kazzy said:
you can sign up for the software release from the zephyr website. Www.zephyrvaporizers.com
thank you kindly Bruce...I'll sign up right away :)

kazzy,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Heisenberg said:
Bruce@Zephyr said:
-Heisenberg
Wattage consumption for the ION - Still have to do some checking, I will get back to you.
hi bruce, any updates on this?
Ok,.. here is what I have found out

Wattage consumption
350 watts when its heating up, then goes to 2 watts (power consumption to keep the lights on) once the unit is hot and you will get 10-15 watt intermittent spurts to keep the unit at the temp you set.

17-19 watts when the pump is on

USPS says that your ION is out for delivery today. Hope this info helps

Bruce@Zephyr,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
I have sent out 4 units for that contest win and the 4th unit should be delivered today. I have 2 solid reviews here on this thread and am looking for 2 more , 3 if you count the review Jeff was going to put up from the first contest and never got around to. ;)

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

Ok, so I just got the Ion this morning via UPS. Won't use it till tonight but will post up impressions as soon as I do, that is, if I don't get too vaked. :)

One thing I can say at this point is this puppy is well built. Super beefy power cord with beefy connections to the vape. Nice length on the cord. Vape has a nice, hefty weight to it. Seems to be very well constructed.

Never used a bag vape before. Looking forward to it. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the size of the basket. It's HUGE compared to the size of the bowl of my daily workhorse, the PD. I wonder how it will work with one PD stems worth or two stems worth of bud. I don't expect it to be quite as efficient as the PD, but I'd hate to use 2 to 3 times as much bud as I'm using now.

Will report back later.

lwien,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Ok, so I just got the Ion this morning via UPS. Won't use it till tonight but will post up impressions as soon as I do, that is, if I don't get too vaked. :)

One thing I can say at this point is this puppy is well built. Super beefy power cord with beefy connections to the vape. Nice length on the cord. Vape has a nice, hefty weight to it. Seems to be very well constructed.

Never used a bag vape before. Looking forward to it. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the size of the basket. It's HUGE compared to the size of the bowl of my daily workhorse, the PD. I wonder how it will work with one PD stems worth or two stems worth of bud. I don't expect it to be quite as efficient as the PD, but I'd hate to use 2 to 3 times as much bud as I'm using now.

Will report back later.
I think with .05g you should be able to get any results you are looking for. I tend to over-pack the basket because I can never quite believe I put enough in,... later I realize it was plenty.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
stinkmeaner said:
Looks like nice thick glass, where is the glass for the whip blown?
I can not divulge that information till we release the whip and get the artists ok.

Bruce@Zephyr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
lwien...the first time i used it i put what looked to be about three PD stems worth and got about four bags at the lower temp.

i hit some of my duff at the higher temp last night. Although it was wrapped in between several PD stems, so I can't testify to the effect. I will say it was what I expected after using the E for years. Higher temps produce worse taste. The effect was definitely different...none of the amazing head high that i got at lower temps. I slept great, but like i said, I was using a PD as well. I still have some of the duff left for a better experiment later. My leftovers after the higher temp bags looked more like what I get out of my LB than anything else...fully spent.

What I can say for sure at this point is it definitely works great at the lower temps. If you want to separate your highs out, the temp control on this thing is very good at it.

That whip looks a lot nicer than I thought it would...nice job on that!

Bruce...do you bother with the higher temps or just the lower ones? And what do you like to do with your leftovers?

stickstones,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
stickstones said:

Bruce...do you bother with the higher temps or just the lower ones? And what do you like to do with your leftovers?
We did a fair amount of research on the whip, I think people will enjoy it a bunch and I think it will compare to most any other whip model on the market.

The temp I vape has a lot of variables,... but lets say if it is just me, I got nobody to impress, using reasonably dry biomass,.. I start at 360 and never go over 401

I take my vampire (duff, huff, abv) and put it into a mason jar that is 3/4 filled with 2 parts everclear, 2 parts rasberry absolute and 1 part berry schnapps for flavor ;) . I keep my vampire in there till the jar looks like oatmeal then I strain out the hooch and use it to make hard candies.

*edit* Hard candy recipe in another post another day :cool:

Bruce@Zephyr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
oh yeah, you GOTTA expand on that candy recipe!

btw, how spent is your duff when you make this stuff? Mine always is well done because I am a miser. But if I had a recipe I liked I might start vaping at lower temps to enjoy the food.

stickstones,

lwien

Bruce@Zephyr said:
lwien said:

Will report back later.
I think with .05g you should be able to get any results you are looking for. I tend to over-pack the basket because I can never quite believe I put enough in,... later I realize it was plenty.
Yup. Got too vaped last night to post.

Ok, so here are my impressions. Keep in mind that I am a bag virgin. Never operated any kind of bag vape before.

Being that the PD is my daily driver, I wanted to compare it directly with that vape, so I only loaded the basket with the same amount that I put in my PD stems which is half of what Bruce recommended above...........0.025g.

First thing is how easy this vape is to use. There is nothing complicated about it. Very intuitive and user friendly. Even a caveman can do it. :)

Set the temp to 375 and blew up a bag. Could not see any vapor in that bag at that temp, but sucked on it anyway. What I was then able to see is some light vapor clouds on exhale. Got about 4 to 5 hits from one bag. Got vaped from one bag, but not to the level of hitting one PD stem thru a bong. Thought I'd try to cook that original 0.025g a bit more so I upped the temp to 385 and ran another bag through. This time, I got some visible mist, but the taste wasn't nearly as good. A bit toasty and a bit harsh. 4 more hits, but again, didn't get me to the same place as one stem thru the PD thru a bong, so I dumped out the basket and reloaded with about 2 stems worth, 0.05g, and that finally did me in for the night.

So, Bruce, I believe that you are absolutely correct. The Ion needed 0.05g to get me to where I wanted to be, which is twice as much as I needed with the PD. Guess it's that whole air to vapor ratio thing going on along with a bit more condensation happening due to the increased surface area of the bag. I would assume, however, that the Ion is no less efficient, in this respect, than any other bag vape out there.

It was a fun experience with a new toy. For me, the PD will continue to be my personal daily workhorse because of it's efficiency of getting me to where I want to be on a measly 0.025g, but..........................the Ion WILL get used when I am vaping with anyone else. It would just be a lot more fun and easy to use passing a bag around than loading up two stems and passing a PD around that is attached to a power cord.

As a multi-user vape, I don't believe that there is anything on the market at this price point that can compare. It's very well built, very durable, very easy to use, hits a VERY good price point for this type of vape, and is well............fun to use.

Bruce, I do have a question though regarding your suggestion of loading a minimum of 0.05g. Do you believe that this will also be true for the Ion in whip mode? I'm thinking that the efficiency may go up a tad when using whips.

Anyways, great product at a great price from a very active company. Well done.................

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Bruce@Zephyr said:
stickstones said:

We did a fair amount of research on the whip, I think people will enjoy it a bunch and I think it will compare to most any other whip model on the market.

The temp I vape has a lot of variables,... but lets say if it is just me, I got nobody to impress, using reasonably dry biomass,.. I start at 360 and never go over 401

I take my vampire (duff, huff, abv) and put it into a mason jar that is 3/4 filled with 2 parts everclear, 2 parts rasberry absolute and 1 part berry schnapps for flavor ;) . I keep my vampire in there till the jar looks like oatmeal then I strain out the hooch and use it to make hard candies.

ohhh Neato, a hard candy recipe. I am interested. I am not fond of my coworkers choice of what to cook THC into... bleh... Going to have to get that from you.

Is the whip going to be a separate buy, or is it going to be included in the box?

DevoTheStrange,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
DevoTheStrange said:
Bruce@Zephyr said:

ohhh Neato, a hard candy recipe. I am interested. I am not fond of my coworkers choice of what to cook THC into... bleh... Going to have to get that from you.

Is the whip going to be a separate buy, or is it going to be included in the box?
The whip will come with new units once it is released.

The hard candies are the bomb,.. and they are so easily transportable :rolleyes:

**edit** I put up the recipe here:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1616

Bruce@Zephyr,

lwien

I have to add an addendum to my Ion experiences.

I used it again last night, but this time, I loaded the basket so the screen was totally covered, probably 4 PD stems worth and set it to a low 360 degrees, which is a lower temp than anything I have previously used. ABV a very light golden brown. One bag.................WOW. A totally different experience. Very, very clear but intense high with absolutely no come-down when the effects wore off. I don't get this with the PD being that mine has been on 24/7 for about a year now, and I believe, judging by the looks of the ABV, that it is running at a much higher vape range, probably around 385 to 390. Now I know that a lot of PD/MZ/WDZ users have used koozies and non standard power adapters to raise the temps on their units to get more of a full compliment of THC/CBD/CBN's, but I gotta tell ya, running a nice sized basket thru the Ion at 360 was really, REALLY nice. Having a vape with a very accurate, variable digital temp controller along with the consistency of a bag vape is key here.

Now granted, I'm losing a lot of efficiency in vaping the way I did above, but man, what a pleasant high that was. Now I just have to hope that my usage doesn't increase too much, because using the Ion in the lower temp ranges is really something special.

lwien,

lwien

Another update. The more I use this vape, the more I learn about it. In the previous posts, I was questioning the efficiency of the Ion as compared to the PD based upon the fact that one stems worth of bud in the Ion versus the PD didn't get me quit as high. But, I've found out through a bit more use that although one has to load up the basket with more bud than just one PD stems worth, that basket will also blow up multiple bags over a period of time.

Bottom line is that one PD stem will get me to where I want to be. One bag will also get me to where I want to be (sometimes more than where I want to be), as long as I load up 4 PD stems worth into the basket, which will then provide me with about 4 bags of vapor, so in actuality, the efficiency is not that much different, if there is any difference at all. It's just that the Ion needs more bud to get itself going. One basket (4 PD stems worth) will last me about 4 days.

The main difference is that with bags, it's harder to gauge your dosing, for a few times, I've found myself taking the last hit or two out of a bag not because I wanted to get any higher, but just because I didn't want to waste any vapor. Also, with a PD, I can take one hit from a stem, set it down, and take another hit 30 to 40 minutes later. Put it down and then take another hit 30 min. later. Can't really do that with a bag over time without losing a lot of vapor due to condensation.

Guess it's all part of the learning process................and the fun of using a new toy.

lwien,

Beezleb

I think now your starting to realize some of what I have been saying generically about efficiency in vaporizing. It is not so cut and dry.

I actually believe I have reduced my overall usage with the Zephyr but too early to really tell. I have not touched my DBV since I gave it a good bye vape while we try a trial separation while I test out the Zephyr. I feel like I am cheating hehe.

It is funny. I imagined the Zephyr originally, before I tested it out, would be a group vape but mainly used as a demo a vape for bag vapes to fellow ill persons looking into vaporizing but it has become my go to vape of choice.

I really like being able to demo these different style vapes from direct draw, bag to even a lighter based portable and when I get my new LB I will use that again. Thankfully I have already spoken to everyone who is interested in my support group but when new members join if they need such information I am in a better position now to illustrate their options to them. For this I am very grateful and I know those who benefit from it will be as well.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Just got some new herb. Thinking about devoting a certain amount to the Ion and only use it at the lower temp...I love that 375 feeling! I would keep the leftovers for cooking.

My question is, Bruce, how much good quality biomass do you think you go through to get what you need for your candy recipe?

stickstones,

lwien

stickstones said:
Just got some new herb. Thinking about devoting a certain amount to the Ion and only use it at the lower temp...I love that 375 feeling! I would keep the leftovers for cooking.
Sticks, try it at 360 and tell me what ya think. I know that's a pretty low temp, but man, it sure is nice down there, especially with some high quality herb.

lwien,
Top Bottom