• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Zephyr Ion

Beezleb

I called this my Major Award Zephyr Ion Party and Review. I invited another experienced in the ways of the world and is a fellow vapist and smoker.

This is not about any other vaporizers or about smoking versus vaping. We just wanted to do a review of the vaporizer and celebrate the "Major Award" hehe. The Major Award reference comes from a xmas movie called "A Christmas Story." I felt the Zephyr fit this category nicely.

Major Award Zephyr Ion Party and Review

Session 1:
375 degrees temperature with average quality herb ground in 5 piece grinder. Material was prepared in the manner and amount I would for normal use.
Size of Basket: 1/3 filled.
5 Bags @ 5 to 7 draws per bag.
Bag session is faster than direct draw.
No coughing, very tasty clean tasting vapor.

The photos were taken the next day with the findings in agreement with the priors day's review so each of these reviews were done and retested with the same conditions and amounts the next day.

Working Material, Average strength.

1st bag, very even vapor to air, sensation noticeable after 1st bag, reminds of pin joint. Unfortunately not all the shots were usable.

2nd bag, high, good working buzz, no couch lock. Reminds of a pin joint of average quality.

3rd bag, slightly less vapor than in the 2nd bag. Reminds of a normal size joint in sensation. Good mellow high, could easily watch a movie, play a game or the like.

4th bag, very light vapor, believe the entire bag would make perhaps one good draw normal draw. Very wispy draws and not generally not considered of value but there is still some green in the herb when finished and still tasty

Summary
Overall the sensation is very clear, one of the most cleanest vape sessions experienced was said and agreed. and the taste lasted throughout all 4 bags. A very good working style buzz and quite energetic. Some felt they could easily have stopped after the 3rd bag with the 4th bag deemed better to save for ABV.

Keep in mind, this was just a baseline reading so to speak. We did not stir between bags on purpose. All other sessions will be stirred between bags.

At the 375 degree setting the vapor is very impressive generally being light, crispy, energetic, clean and tasty. Our general views on even vapor bags versus direct draw higher vapor to air ratio are beginning to crack. Most everyone felt that stopping after the 3rd bag would be the normal use at the 375 degree setting without stirring. This is due to the view that not much vapor of real value was achieved after the 3rd bag and would be better served in later abv use. This is also some of, if not the highest quality abv I have stored and this excitements me and will play a role in overall efficiency in vaping by being able to recycle from a higher quality waste product. Swamp water should get better in my optimistic view.

I will be posting another review with pics at the 385F range but that will take a bit more time as some obligations are calling. I can say absolutely I am wholly impressed by the Zephyr. I can also say with confidence to people, do not underestimate the power of the bag vaporizers. While providing an even to air to vapor ratio I am of the opinion you actually consume far faster with a bag than with direct draw as direct draw can take a longer than quickly inhaling a bag in a handful of breaths though if you use a bong then this is a mute issue and would go into the how much can you absorb at one time discussion but these are just my initial thoughts and from our discussion after the review. I will also add, taste from my direct draw vape is far superior initially but quickly dulls out, the flavor of the bag vape lasted all the way through but not as intense but very noticeable. It is really too early to tell but thus far I am favoring the Zephyr over my direct draw vape but I need more far more testing and we will see after the shine wears off as they say.

Thank you for checking out my review and I hope it helped you.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Ok, I've had this thing for a few days now but haven't been able to use it as much as I would've liked, but it's time for some first impressions. You should know that my current in-use lineup includes the PD, the SSV and the LB. So my interest in this unit was not as a replacement for them, but as an augmentation. I really wanted a bag vape for parties and for my wife. She's a drinker, not a toker, and all my whip/tube vapes are too harsh for her. I think she will like the bag use, as it is cooler and she won't have to worry about whether her draw is right, etc. I also am very interested in this unit for the accurate temp control and getting different effects from my herb. So this is where I am coming from.

As you might have guessed by my current lineup, my habits are mostly concerned with stealth. That's why I have only used it three times...I have to be more discreet. This vape is not made for those needing to keep a secret. It is the biggest vape I own (not by a ton) and if left plugged in, has a bright orange/red display that draws attention. It also is primarily a bag vape, which by nature uses crinkly bags. When will someone invent the silent vape bag? The crinkling is not more than any other bag vape, it just isn't going to be used with curious teenagers trying to go to sleep in the next room. And I wouldn't give the noise level a quiet rating. It sounds like an aquarium pump, and is probably as loud as my E on fan setting 3. Later on I will try to get these two side by side for that comparison if anyone is interested. So I wouldn't say it is loud, but I wouldn't make quiet my selling point either. I would imagine the Q is quieter.

Having said all that, I am not disappointed as this vape is what I hoped it would be. It heats up quickly, blows bags up quickly and so far I believe the temp control is accurate. The vaping I have done (375F) at this low temp with the same herb I have used in all my analog devices gave me a much lighter head high that actually made me a little hyper...I had a great time! I am really looking forward to hitting my herb again at a higher temp to see the different effects...will probably do that in the next couple of days. I used very little herb in the bowl (didn't even cover the screen completely) and got some good, light vapor in several bags...I think it can be used as efficiently as you want to use it. I then gave it another bowl that covered the screen completely, but still wasn't filled to 1/3 full and got one and a half milky bags before saving that bowl for later. This was all I needed for my session as the thick bag got me flying!

I didn't have any of the leakage problems that others first encountered. In fact, the only time I lost any vapor at all was due to user error when the bag was finished and I didn't remove it...the bag pressure started to push the vapor back into the unit. The valve system is fantastic and a pleasure to vape with. I'm pretty sure the reason I don't use bags much is because I didn't have a unit with a valve system. We'll see if this unit forces itself into my lineup based on that alone. It's nice to blow up a bag and join the rest of the world (when the kids are at school!) as I inhale it at my own pace.

The unit didn't come with the whip, so I don't know how it works in that fashion. But I doubt it will be something someone will want over the bag. This thing was made to blow bags and does it very well. It is very easy to use and really can be done with one hand. You just flip open the top, put in a loaded bowl, close the top and blow bags. The instructions recommend opening up the top between bags so the herb doesn't get too hot and lose its potentcy, which makes sense. I remove the bowl from my E for the same reason. The controls are simple and easy, and I think the designers succeeded in making an easy to use vaporizer.

I hate to compare this unit to the Volcano, as Bruce wants to market it on its own merit, but as a bag only vape there is only one other unit to accurately compare it to. And I see no reason to buy a Volcano when this one is available. It feels solid and sturdy, heats up quickly, blows up bags quickly and has a very accurate temperature control. It's as simple as it gets to use and has a good working valve system. What more could you want from a bag blower?

Vaporizing as an industry pretty much started with the Volcano (not vaporizing, just the industry behind it) and ever since competition has been coming up with new and different delivery systems. Some companies have decided to go the dual use route like Arizer and the Herbalaire to compete with it. This is the first unit I have seen to try and do what the Volcano does and, imo, it does it just as well for half the price. You can't beat that!

I have fallen in love with whip/tube vapes and portable vapes, partly due to not having an affordable option to enjoy bags. That's not the case anymore. Bags are convenient, comfortable and effective...with a good valve system. And the temperature control in this unit gives me new hope for easily experimenting with different temperature effects. I think this vape will sell a lot of units when all is said and done.

If you want a bag vape, a party vape, or a workhorse vape, the Ion won't disappoint. I'll report more when I get further along in my temp research.

stickstones,
Reactions: Jared

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Nice review Sticks! I've been waiting for someone to compare that uses the vapes in my regular lineup as well. Sounds solid! Now I hope your wife will enjoy the bags too ;)

Lo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Me too, Lo (with regard to my wife). I'll tell you right now, if I didn't have to be so discreet, I would be using it regularly (probably every day or every other day). I like the convenience of a bagged valve system, and I don't know of a more precise digital temperature vaporization system. There is quite a difference (for me, at least) between the feeling when vaping at a low temp vs getting everything out of the herb at once. For those that want/need the flexibility and control of a digital vape, it would be hard to do better than this one.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the highest praise I have heard for this unit yet...Jim at Vapenow has always had a Volcano on his coffee table at work (where most of the vaping happens), but now it has been replaced by the Ion, mostly due to ease of use and heat up time.

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Just finished another session at 375F. I can't get over the clear headed high I get at this temp! The first bag is nice and thick...most of everything I want is in that one. But I still go another four bags or so just to totally get everything out of it before I set it aside for later at 445. I still get light vapor in bag four. I still have yet to fill a bowl to the minimum they recommend. I want to work my way up to it. I imagine that when I finally put a healthy amount in it's gonna knock me right over!

I saw some leakage and found something out. In my unit, when the bowl is placed in such a way that the handle is pointing right, it doesn't quite sit level and that's when I get leakage. When I place it in with the handle on the left I get no leakage. I repeated this twice and got the same results. I don't know if it has to do with the handle on the basket or the chamber itself, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone with leakage hadn't figured it out yet. So I just put it in facing left with no issues.

stickstones,

Beezleb

Ive not seen any leakage.

I also love the clean sensation of this vapor, 375 is great for the day but I have using 385 a bit later in the day. I have not gone further up the temp scale. I love it. It is almost like rediscovering vaporizers again hehe but not quite so dramatic.

I have a review with pics at 385f but not quite the time enough to post it but will as soon as I can. It amazes me how much I get out of a session and that the quality of the ABV is improved from my direct draw vape. I am looking forward to processing it further.

I feel like with my direct draw vape I have a sports car and with the Zephyr I have luxury car hehe and a few portables which I guess would be a scooter, bicycle, to a shoe hehe.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I forgot to mention, especially for Lo, this thing has an air filter where the intake is!

stickstones,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Lol @ Sticks. You know my OCD too well! An air filter.... That is too cool, thanks I did not know that about the Zephyr. Jeez, you're making a great sales pitch here :D

Lo,

Beezleb

I have not seen this an issue but was something I recently considered. I wonder if Zephyr would consider a setting that worked as a timer connected to a on off switch like that matched average timing to fill a bag.

I believe this would assist the slower and possibly more on the serious medical usage side of operator. lol, on a funny beezleb note, the very thing I did was blow up my first bag. Which soon gave me +1 confidence in the learning how easy it was to change a bag experience!

Seriously though, some of the people I have assisted, I am not sure could stop it in time if they were not paying strict attention but since I have not ever heard of this issue before I am not sure my concern has much realistic merit and is more of a thought I had.

Beezleb,

Neverender

stickstones said:
I forgot to mention, especially for Lo, this thing has an air filter where the intake is!
Oh, so that's what that is.. makes sense. :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed any leakage on my unit either, wherever I place the basket. The only "leakage" I suppose I found is when detaching the bag from the nozzle when filled. Not pressing on the bag when doing this helps, but a litttttle bit of vapor always escapes from the bag on the first two bags of a bowl.

I agree with the comments about the crispness of the high/taste around the 365-380 temp area. Perfect for the afternoon. I've found that once you start to up the temperature to 390-410, you get more out of the herb, but the taste also begins to degrade around that area and loses that fresh vape taste.

Neverender,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Well this has got to say something. I got started this evening and really wanted that head high. So I went through all the trouble to migrate the Ion to where I keep my SSV so I could blow some 375's. I guess it's already starting to wiggle its way into my lineup! I've got a nice bag of 445's ready to blow that I am looking forward to!

stickstones,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Lot of stuff for me to reply to here since I been gone a week. I sure am glad to hear these reviews, it helps me to feel like I haven't been bullshitting you all in this forum heheh. Quite frankly, after reading some of what has been said, I feel just a little like I have been downplaying the Zephyr Ion. It does a guy good to see happy end-users! Thank you!

To answer the main points from what I have read from what I have missed since I have been gone.. wow that was a weird sounding sentence,.. and perhaps yes perhaps I am a little vaked this morning.
Back on task here,.. the main points I have tried to answer below. If I missed something or it is unclear, please send me another post and let me know.

*note* bold text is not me yelling, it is just to pick it out my replies from the rest of the post.

-Whip Update
1. I saw the prototype @ CHAMPS, glass connection to the Teflon nipple, 4 foot hose (thinking about 6) and unique mouthpiece. I will try and get a picture.
2. Hosing is medical grade, glass is Blown Pyrex
3. In production and I am not holding out on anyone,.. as soon as these bad boys are available I will be sending them to customers that already have an ION. Should be mid to late March.
4. connection / fitting. This could be good or bad, I have not had enough time to fully test it. The glass fitting fits pretty snug on the Teflon nipple. A) could be good because it will not slip off on accident, and provides a very tight seal. B) could suck a little because it does not slip off easy. This may change with use but to switch from bag to whip takes 2 hands.
5. If you just can't wait and although it may be a tad "ghetto" whips from other model vapes (you would need to attach the hose directly to the tip) or even standard medical tubing will fit onto the Teflon tip.
6. in the next couple days there will be a sign up sheet on our website so you can get notified when the whip is available (don't call us we will call you HAHAHAH)

-Heisenberg
Wattage consumption for the ION - Still have to do some checking, I will get back to you. Hopefully before your new Ion arrives. {shipped parcel post last week}
p.s. I like your new avatar pic. (Was the old one Hal from Malcolm in the Middle?)

-Neverender
Foam Washer on bottom of the unit - the foam washer is an air filter, should be changed every 6 months or if you notice it dirtier than you would like. Spares should have come with your ION

I haven't noticed any leakage on my unit either, wherever I place the basket. The only "leakage" I suppose I found is when detaching the bag from the nozzle when filled. Not pressing on the bag when doing this helps, but a litttttle bit of vapor always escapes from the bag on the first two bags of a bowl.
I sure would like to stop that wiff of vapor that comes out when you remove the bag from the unit, but quite honestly the only solution we have come up with to date would raise the overall price too. If anyone else has ideas,.. we are always open to suggestion.

Derf
I have another request for a feature that the software can do:

If you so choose, turn off the LCD red backlight when the unit is off. I guess in some way it serves as a nice nightlight, but it is pretty darn bright, and the red light next to the power button is enough to tell me that it is getting power but not turned on.
I agree with this 100%, but there is some rule for EU units (we do not have production models for outside North America yet yet but worked it into the design since we have designs on the EU in the future. I have been telling people that the unit is in standby mode and it wouldn't hurt to unplug it when not in use to save electricity overall. You should have seen the green light on the first unit,.. lit up a whole room and you sure wouldn't want to look directly at the light without welding glasses, this has already been changed.

-stickstones
The first bag is nice and thick...most of everything I want is in that one. But I still go another four bags or so just to totally get everything out of it before I set it aside for later at 445.
You may have a hard time trying to vape @ 445 with the ION, since combustion occurs @ 456, the ION only heats to 440 but that should be hot enough for all of your needs.

I saw some leakage and found something out. In my unit, when the bowl is placed in such a way that the handle is pointing right, it doesn't quite sit level and that's when I get leakage. When I place it in with the handle on the left I get no leakage. I repeated this twice and got the same results. I don't know if it has to do with the handle on the basket or the chamber itself, but I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone with leakage hadn't figured it out yet. So I just put it in facing left with no issues.
I think this may have to do with slight variances in the ceramic element that the basket sits on. I have heard some people say place the handle left, other say right and some have 0 issue with it either way. Good tip tho, thanks

Well this has got to say something. I got started this evening and really wanted that head high. So I went through all the trouble to migrate the Ion to where I keep my SSV so I could blow some 375's. I guess it's already starting to wiggle its way into my lineup! I've got a nice bag of 445's ready to blow that I am looking forward to!
Booya! that is a pretty good recommendation. *note* still gotta only vape @ 440 :)

Beezleb

I feel like with my direct draw vape I have a sports car and with the Zephyr I have luxury car hehe and a few portables which I guess would be a scooter, bicycle, to a shoe hehe.
Great Analogy,... I LOVE THIS

I have not seen this an issue but was something I recently considered. I wonder if Zephyr would consider a setting that worked as a timer connected to a on off switch like that matched average timing to fill a bag.
could be done, especially when we release the software

Well ladies and gents, this is all I have for now.
Let me know if I missed anything and if there are other questions.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Heisenberg

scientific vaporist
Bruce@Zephyr said:
-Heisenberg
Wattage consumption for the ION - Still have to do some checking, I will get back to you. Hopefully before your new Ion arrives. {shipped parcel post last week}
p.s. I like your new avatar pic. (Was the old one Hal from Malcolm in the Middle?)
thank you very much for your great support, bruce :)
yes the old avatar was hal from malcolm in the middle, he's starring in the tv-show 'breaking bad'. pretty nice show, you should watch it on occasion

Heisenberg,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
stickstones said:
Any of you guys figure out how to change the temp to Celsius?
1. Read the instruction manual :brow:
2. Press both temp up and temp down buttons at the same time.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I have been looking at many pieces here, you all give hella info and believe me I am thankful for it. It makes buying prep very helpful. I am still on the fence but I am digging this particular piece due to availability.

I love living in the sticks, down home country life cant be beat, makes trying new things difficult.

Ed's TnT,

Hudsonrulez

Bruce my name is Matt Hudson I am the current Vapor Mod of thegrowreport.com as well as contributor to the dopefiend.co.uk podcast network.

I gave your vaporizer a favorable review on Dopecast 205. http://media.libsyn.com/media/dopecast/Dopecast205.mp3

I hear you will be in Toronto for the Canadian Hemp and Medical Marijuana Expo. Would it be possible for us to have a short interview so that we may discuss your vaporizer more in depth. We at the dopefiend pod cast network are avid vaporizists and since your product hasn't been on the market for long our primarily overseas audience would like to get to know this product a bit more.

I think you product was fairly nice. It's like a volcano and a herbal aire made love and out poped the ION.

Hudsonrulez,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Hudsonrulez said:
Bruce my name is Matt Hudson I am the current Vapor Mod of thegrowreport.com as well as contributor to the dopefiend.co.uk podcast network.

I gave your vaporizer a favorable review on Dopecast 205. http://media.libsyn.com/media/dopecast/Dopecast205.mp3

I hear you will be in Toronto for the Canadian Hemp and Medical Marijuana Expo. Would it be possible for us to have a short interview so that we may discuss your vaporizer more in depth. We at the dopefiend pod cast network are avid vaporizists and since your product hasn't been on the market for long our primarily overseas audience would like to get to know this product a bit more.

I think you product was fairly nice. It's like a volcano and a herbal aire made love and out poped the ION.
Matt, probably best to get in contact with me direct. bruce@zephyrvaporizers.com

Bruce@Zephyr,

Beezleb

Session 2, about an hour later from the 375 session:
385 degrees temperature with average quality herb
Size of Basket: filled.
5 Bags @ 7 draws per bag, herb was stirred before each bag.
Bag session is faster than direct draw.
Tasty vapor and more visible

What were working with, average strength:

1st bag, stronger than 1st session @ 375 degree setting in general opinion, reminds of a pin joint. Some slight coughing/irritation in some. Good working high.

Stirred
2nd bag, good visible vapor in bag, High sensation, good for movie, music, hike, contemplation.

Stirred
3rd bag, slightly more buzzed, laughing, storytelling, we had to focus to continue. General view is this is about the point where we feel similar sensation compared to our direct draw whip vape.

Stirred
4th bag, slightly less vapor than last bag. Very nice sensation and full of good times and good feelings.

Stirred
5th bag, not much vapor left. This was the final bag.

Summary
Overall the sensation is a more even well rounded sensation. The flavor lasted throughout all 5 bags but it does diminish after each bag. A very good after work buzz but still plenty energetic.

We did stir between bags. At the 385 degree setting the vapor is in our view similar to the sensation obtained from a whip based direct draw vaporizer at our regular temperature, which is analog.

The abv from the Zephyr is of a higher quality compared to my average use with my whip vaporizer.

Hope this was fun for you, it was for us.

The session is ended.

Beezleb,

Neverender

So... finally OWNING a vaporizer that uses bags, I've been pondering on a topic more and more; what do you guys think is the best way to "hit" an Ion bag?

I've heard many things on this forum on how if you exhale vapor that you can see (clouds that everybody loves to get) its wasted vapor. If this is true, what do you guys think is the best way of getting everything out of a bag? Little short puffs, to make sure your not over filling your lungs? Or continue on taking the biggest breath of vapor you can get?

Neverender,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'd say smaller, deeper puffs. One thing to try someday is to hit one bag and exhale into another and see if that second bag has any potency.

stickstones,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
IIRC my bud said that you can put a regular tube over the teflon nipple (nipple... :lol: -- Can one draw, aka 'nurse', directly from the nipple? :brow: ), but it can slip off if tugged repeatedly.

On the contrary, it is easy to pull off to whip someone who is trying to steal your last cookie! :lmao: :ko:

Progress,
Top Bottom