Multi-brand X MAX STARRY

cobra505

Defined
I'm just about done testing the herb side of things and may move to the last test before writing it all up.....concentrates. Anyone used the wax cartridge yet?
I have a Focus Pro, and tried concentrates in that once and made the mistake of tilting the unit while vaping, needless to say it got concentrate all thru the inside of the vape. ever sense then I purchased a Dr Dabber Ghost for all my concentrates. Just don't want to take the chance again.

davesmith

Glass Blower
@bloomin how much did you pay from the first place you mentioned if you don't mind me asking? I'm sat on the edge of my seat waiting to see everyones thoughts as this one gains more interest

Last edited:
davesmith,

bloomin

@bloomin how much did you pay from the first place you mentioned if you don't mind me asking? I'm sat on the edge of my seat waiting to see everyones thoughts as this one gains more interest
They are selling for £99, but they may offer you a deal if you drop them a line:) I got a few quid knocked off. Worth taking the plunge IMO, it even does a good job with CBD crystals (Endoca), which was a very nice discovery. The oven could be a bit bigger IMO, but I do like loads of 0.4 and up if I can! This is about 0.3 tight pack. But absolutely no off-gassing, melting issues !!!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
No problem on my side, although it was not used on a regular basis for a few days.

This vape is nice cause cheap, features (replacable battery, adjustable t°) and relatively stealth design (I like the no-plastic body!). But when it comes to vaping.... it rests a 100$ battery vape powered experience, there is no bad taste but it is not the best since full conduction.
Please understand me, this vape is not bad and even a good one for +100$, in fact it is that's it claims: a good working conduction portable vape, that's all!!

I recommanded, with success, the X-max V2 pro as a beginner vape and will recommand this one for the same reason.

edit: MANUFACTURER SUGGESTION Why not create an halfpack lid àla Pax or a spacer for smaller loads.
And is it possible to make a passthrough function which works without any batteries inserted or the USB can't carry enough power...?

Last edited:

jakeattack77

Yeah I was gonna go with the v2 pro, but this is the same manufacturer as v2 pro and seems like a straight upgrade. I'm just bothered by the fact there isn't much hooplah about it.

I don't think USB has enough power btw for pass through, it's like 5w to 12w heavily dependent on how the implemented it, but for comparison I think the grasshopper is 40+ watts. If this has even half that then there is no way that it could keep up even to power the vape let alone charge. I personally would rather just keep a few batteries charged.

PPN, what do you think of this vs the alternate. The alternate has been getting far more commotion, and it's an option but I don't like the plastic, even if it's safe, I just like the metal feel better.

Also how's the vapcap m? I may actually get both because they seem to fulfill different purposes.

Thanks for all of your help btw!

davesmith

Glass Blower
@PPN I've been anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts on this vape. Glad it seems to be what we think it is. I don't expect the world but as long as it doesn't have any problems I might just grab one.

@jakeattack77 ive been in search of a vape like this for years, been close to pulling the trigger a few times (and did with the arizers) and still haven't settled on one. I was watching the vivant but TBH there too many teething troubles for me. Pretty sure I'm gonna jump on the starry, either that or a haze if I can find a second hand one.

Won't be till the end of the month through so I'm still sat here watching and waiting.....

Thanks people

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi @jakeattack77 , I can't compare it to the Alternate since I never tried one....sorry... but in some aspects the Starry looks a bit more...refined but in another hand the conduction heater versus hybrid heater is something to take in consideration.

@davesmith I'm feeling very proud you consider my opinion, thanks!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
any more updates? hows it treating everyone after a while? hope no breaks or rmas
i think this is gonna be my first vape. perhaps

I'm sorry folks ... I have been promising a full detailed review and the hold up was testing the Wax Pod and doing a little more testing with the battery life. I've completed those tests but I'm really busy at the moment and won't be able to complete a detail review for a week or so. I've done two preliminary reviews in this thread so I'll just add to them here......

The Wax Pod test was interesting but for me this vape isn't going to be my go to vape for wax/concentrates. It performed better than the other conduction vapes I own that attempt to add a concentrate option as a secondary feature. Please keep in mind these are my initial experiences and opinions. Yours may differ. I did two attempts with the Wax Pod and on the final attempt.....I used the highest temp and put three small BB sized balls in. Here's what I found:
- It melted/liquefied the concentrate beautifully
- Decent taste and average clouds
- That Wax Pod was a bitch to get out
- It overflowed too easily
- I noticed that the filter would come in contact with the wax/concentrate and IMO would cause a clog in the filter in no time so .... with the filter cap off and the wax pod in place and filled, I set the temp to high and waited till the concentrate melted into the bottom of the pod before putting the filter cap on and taking a draw.

Battery life - I'm getting an average of about 45 minutes whether I use a Smasung 25r or the stock battery that came with it. I've been using some pretty high temps in the testing so you may be able to eke out a few more minutes.

I suggest you wait for a bit before purchasing though. Maybe 3 weeks. There are some minor updates coming.

jakeattack77

@PPN interesting. Wouldn't both of these vapes be hybrid conduction convection because the heat needs to flow through the herb before it comes out the mouthpiece? Are you planning on trying the alternate at all I agree with davesmith you seem to have good insights! Lol

@His_Highness any source on the minor updates? I talked to puffitup they said there was a delay in getting the vape. Perhaps that delay was due to those minor changes?

@davesmith gud luck, if I pull the trigger before you I'll let you know.

Thanks all sorry for so many questions, I'm a picky buyer and worried for first vape

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Wouldn't both of these vapes be hybrid conduction convection because the heat needs to flow through the herb before it comes out the mouthpiece?

Nope. For convection to happen, you need a temperature gradient. The incoming air must be hotter than the load to transfer energy to it. In conduction vapes like this one, the energy is transferred by contact with the oven walls (and hence the need to compact the load to minimize air gaps and increase contact between the plant bits) The incoming air actually cools down the load in these designs.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Totally agree with @KeroZen :

conduction: big vapor production on the beginning of the hit until the chamber cool down and no long produces vapor.

convection: the longer you draw the more vapor you get.

Also I like conduction for a lot of good reasons: easy to use, better battery autonomy, good vapor with rather short inhalations and even a light difference when it comes to effects!

MrMonss

I think that the two big patches are on the level of the closing of the battery cover (i still can not do it well with other 18650 batteries) as well as the apperance/finish of the internal filter, which can not appear clean to use (like the one i had, who seemed "burnt" before the first use).

CiscoPike

I think that the two big patches are on the level of the closing of the battery cover (i still can not do it well with other 18650 batteries) as well as the apperance/finish of the internal filter, which can not appear clean to use (like the one i had, who seemed "burnt" before the first use).

Yeah, I thought "ugh!" when I first saw the filter, but I guess it's just the way it has been moulded, and glazed. It's not pretty, but it does the job.

Not really had an issue with the battery compartment, but I can see how it could be easier to operate.

MrMonss

Yeah, I thought "ugh!" when I first saw the filter, but I guess it's just the way it has been moulded, and glazed. It's not pretty, but it does the job.

Not really had an issue with the battery compartment, but I can see how it could be easier to operate.

A screw would be certainly more durable and easier to close, i can't imagine a guy with big fingers and no nails trying to close this small valve

CiscoPike

A screw would be certainly more durable and easier to close, i can't imagine a guy with big fingers and no nails trying to close this small valve

Or a girl.

Yeah, definitely an obvious weak spot in the overall design.

Good to know it's getting fixed right away.

Damn that's awesome to hear that they are making a few quick fixes to improve it!

If you are looking for a first vape, I really would recommend this one, once the updates are sorted. It really is way ahead of any others in the price range, as far as being robust and easy to use, as well as for stealth factor. It also gets you really high, which is what we all want.

Way easier to use out and about, compared to the V2 pro. Maybe a bit too easy.

Have used it while in pub gardens, and raised no eyebrows, or nosebrows.

I only started vaping full time in January this year, so am still figuring out what I want from it, but this thing so far, is ticking a lot of the boxes.

I'm kind of put off by vapes that need apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hi, people,

Just got a starry a couple of days ago as an upgrade from my Xmax v2 pro. Definitely worthwhile from my point of view. Cooler, smoother vapour, with more flavour when compared to the v2 up to and over 200 degrees. Seems to peak around 220 as far as visible vapour, matched with decent flavour. Also, great for stealth, and truly portable, unlike the v2, which is a bit clumsy, and prone to having the mouthpiece come loose in your pocket. Great to have such control over temp. No issues cleaning, followed the mod advice from earlier in the thread, and it works well.

Apparently an updated version will be released in the next few weeks. Got this email from Jerry at Topgreen:

"Some upgrade release in next week:

1.New pcb adjust display method when full charged, it display battery full charged all the time as your needs.
2.New pcb fix some problems that we did find and some may happen.For example: wrong temp display.
3.New pcb use white word and black background.
4.Battery cap cant close without click lock button.
5.New mouthpiece redesigned, it fix too hot if vaping last 10-15 mins.
6.New ceramic oven, about 10% bigger than currently."

So, may be worth waiting for a bit, as a bigger oven would be nice. However, it is nice for solo sessions to have the smaller oven.

Nice! This is probably why they haven't sent mine yet, though a larger oven doesn't sound better to me personally, would like some kind of spacers if so, but we'll see...

StonerSloth

cui bono?
I was already going to buy a Starry before I read about these new minor updates! Now I'm happy I waited but even more anxious to get one in my hands!!!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Just came back from a weekend away and the Starry's stealth was key to the good times outside the hotel. We walked all over the beach, pool area, boardwalk, touristy areas in daytime and nighttime and not once did we feel paranoid about using it in the open. Sure it's obvious your doing something but it's impossible to see what your using and if you micro dose and eliminate the big clouds .... it doesn't get better stealth wise. I felt more comfortable walking around with the Starry than the MFLB....go figure.

One morning we 'finished' a bowl from the night before so we could fill it new before heading out. We knew we got one buzz a piece the night before and we were looking to get 'really' ready for a walk and then breakfast. We thought we'd have to finish up with the Flowermate or Solo. We finished that bowl and it finished us :D ... yep....got sucker punched big time. The surprising thing was that toward the end we thought it was beat. Little to no vapor but we hit it a couple times more anyway. Man were we rocked.

jakeattack77

so it can hit pretty hard? thats my concern. comparing it to the arizer air, which is just so old at this point, and the solo 2 is too expensive.
stealth is nice but more concerned about portability in a physical sense.

jakeattack77,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Portability is perfect for this device!

Although i noticed I get more satifying clouds using the device in Celsius mode rather than in Farenheit.... 200°C give me thick clouds for 5-6mn (and I set it up at 210 for the last minutes) and 392°F gice me whispier hits and I set up to 430°F to get the same abv...

The MiVape I tested got the same issue but inverted: it was heating more using farenheit than celsius..

So it may be a software issue but it works trully better in celsius mode for me... is there somebody else who noticed that ?

Actually I'm using half load well packed cause if you load it full the filter is quickly clogged, especially if you don't unload and clean it right after the session while still hot..

Top Bottom