Multi-brand X MAX STARRY

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I start at 390F and temp step to 410F-420F when the vapor trails off. I get good clouds if I don't rush between draws and sometimes even when I don't wait if the temp is higher than 390F. It reaches temp quick and I may wait an additional 10 seconds for a heat soak before I take the first draw. If I'm sharing I wait the same 10 seconds after the last person has hit it.

@PPN - Couldn't agree more about potential filter clogging when the herb can come in contact with the filter. That's why I put that SS screen on top of the oven. Haven't used Celsius but you got me curious....

Meach

Use checkout code: STARRY30

Only $89.97 with discount!

Hey everyone just had a good experience with vapepensales.com..and they just sent me an email ..anyone interested in one...I have no affiliation with this vendor..just sharing a coupon..I ordered from them earlier this week got my package in 2 days ..I emailed them a question they responded promptly..so thought I would share this.

Adobewan

Interested in this but being sensitive to tastes and smells, I've returned/shelved a number of vapes due to plastic/metal taste/smell that burn offs nor iso and coconut oil couldn't remove.
With that in mind could those who've tried this comment on the taste/smell of the unit, and please, if you know you don't have a sensitivity to this, please consider that before responding with a "no issue!"
Thanks to all in advance!

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Use checkout code: STARRY30

Only $89.97 with discount!

Hey everyone just had a good experience with vapepensales.com..and they just sent me an email ..anyone interested in one...I have no affiliation with this vendor..just sharing a coupon..I ordered from them earlier this week got my package in 2 days ..I emailed them a question they responded promptly..so thought I would share this.

Awesome - Is it possible to verify from pics whether this is the v1.0 or the v1.1 with the upgraded mouthpiece and other minor upgrades? It looks like it's probably the old version but I'm not that familiar with the device yet.

If this is the new version for $90 I am sold.

StonerSloth,
Reactions: slang

Meach

@StonerSloth I didn't ask ..I'm set on portables right now..but always eyeing these threads incase I need a back up...I'm sure if u email them or call they'd verify it..but I'd guess version 1 is what they got on hand

Meach,

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Interested in this but being sensitive to tastes and smells, I've returned/shelved a number of vapes due to plastic/metal taste/smell that burn offs nor iso and coconut oil couldn't remove.
With that in mind could those who've tried this comment on the taste/smell of the unit, and please, if you know you don't have a sensitivity to this, please consider that before responding with a "no issue!"
I avoid smelly vapes too. Starry had factory smell out of the box which is gone after 20 mins of dry burn-off. Starting from the 2nd bowl no smell detected. Starry is pretty clean vape to me, say purer than CFX. Nothing but ceramic is used in vapor path, considering silicone sealing aside.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
@Adobewan , I consider myself sensitive and the Starry is pretty clean, I even didn't noticed any initial factory taste/smell strong enough to be an issue.

His_Highness

At the very beginning there was the usual new electronic smell. A couple test burn-offs and the first fill and the smell was gone. As far as draw taste ... nothing other than herb from the very beginning.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Yessssssss - from the photos it looks like the PIU unit has the slightly bigger oven. But I guess I will wait for Randy & co to get outta bed to confirm before I pull the trigger :clap:

vaporizer-x-max-starry-vaporizer-10_655x685.jpg

XV.STAR-9.jpg

StonerSloth,
Reactions: Jill NYC

MrMonss

I am verry happy with the size of the oven on the first version, not a problem for me.
Maybe the bigger one could better match the 10minute timer.

MrMonss,
Reactions: Xelatsok

StonerSloth

cui bono?
I am verry happy with the size of the oven on the first version, not a problem for me.
Maybe the bigger one could better match the 10minute timer.

I think the manufacturer said it was only 10% larger anyway. But yes I think it should be perfect for a 10 minute session. With the fast heat-up and the super tiny size I am looking forward to using this little guy when walking around the city. :)

I have spent my entire VAS career resisting the PAX due to the fact that you can just toss in your pocket and forget it's there. What held me back was the proprietary charger, the maintenance/stinkiness, and the huge oven. As far as I can tell the Starry solves all of these problems for like 1/3 the price and gives me a removable 18650 which is icing on the cake.

If it is even better than a 4/10 on vapor production and taste I will be an instant fanboy. I will find out hopefully by this weekend!!

bushmaster

I read a review of the Starry yesterday that was mostly positive but the reviewer did complain about the mouthpiece being too loose and swinging freely to and fro. He actually put a rubber band around it to hold it in the "pocket position". I had the same problem (as I've referred to on this thread) and thought I'd share the easy fix for anyone who is experiencing this problem.

If you remove the ceramic filter and Teflon insert from the lid, you'll see a shiny metal tab inside the lid. This is actually the snap ring that holds the mouthpiece in the lid. You will see a hole in the tab into which you can insert a small pick or screwdriver tip and carefully slide the tab back toward yourself and free from the groove in the mouthpiece. When the metal tab snaps free, you'll see the two metal arms that fit in the groove. Carefully tweak the metal arms in opposite directions(one up and one down) an almost imperceptible amount. I just used my fingers and could barely see that I had altered the shape of the tab but it was enough. Slip the mouthpiece back into the lid, insert the arms of the tab back into the groove--you'll probably need a screwdriver tip to push on the tab to get it to snap back in place. Done!

Now the arms of the tab are providing friction--one on the top of the groove and the other on the bottom of the groove. How stiffly the mouthpiece swivels depends on how much you tweaked the arms. Hope this helps anyone else who has been annoyed by this little problem.

slackwaredragon

SlackmasterD
If it is even better than a 4/10 on vapor production and taste I will be an instant fanboy. I will find out hopefully by this weekend!!

I think you'll like it, to me it has a taste closer to the DaVinci Ascent. Honestly the Starry is what I really wanted out of the IQ. If this thing had a vibration or beep (I'm ready!) it'd be perfect. I'm hoping TopGreen comes out with custom top GonG or even different material mouthpieces. They have a whip connector now which probably works just fine but I like to connect it to my bubbler like I do my solo, IQ or Pax2.

jakeattack77

Is it worth getting as a cheater alternative to the arizer air ?
I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger

jakeattack77,

bushmaster

Is it worth getting as a cheater alternative to the arizer air ?
I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger
That's what I bought it for. The Air is the only other herb vaping device I own. I love it but its a bit unwieldy as a take-along. I purchased the Starry so a buzz would never be more than a few inches away.:) The Starry is so cool though.....haven't picked up the Air since the Starry arrived. Not sure why, its just......well, you'll see. Its hard to leave it alone.

jakeattack77

Yeah the air looks great but idk I'm think I get this. Then when I get more money I get the solo2 or an air2 If it's out then I have one portable for on the go nother for at home get blasted

Is vapor production good at least for something so tiny

StonerSloth

cui bono?
So my Starry arrived Friday evening right as I was getting home from work.... How convenient!

I got right to work on the burn-offs and cleaning of course. Using the default 5min session timer I did 3x max temp sessions with the device closed, then removed the lid for an iso soak and did 2 more max temp sessions with the lid off. All in all there was some stank but very little - much lower than Vivant, BNDLS, Flowermate, etc. so that is very encouraging. The packaging had some stank to it - maybe more than the device........

I've run a handful of loads through this little guy - including one hiking sesh in bear country - and I've got to say the list of pro's is very long and the list of con's is very short... I'm not ready to write a full-on review of it and I'm not ready for a real decision as to whether this is better/worse than the Arizer Air (which I have had since release day and know very very well!)

Cons:
1. Battery door still a little finicky
2. High-pitched chirping/screeching while the heater is running - pretty annoying during a quiet indoor session, sort of kills the relaxing vibe - but I guess I did not buy this thing for quiet indoor sessions
3. Top of the oven is magnetic which fucks with my stir tools!

Pros:
1. Form factor
2. Heat up time
3. Good bowl size (0.15 to 0.2, but I think it works slightly better at the lower end of this range)
4. Good bowl shape (the funnel above the bowl helps keep things clean during filling or stirring)
5. Good vapor production
6. Good taste (typical conduction flavor trajectory where it fades relatively quickly though)
7. Ceramic mouthpiece fits great and feels great
8. Build quality is great

To be determined:
1. Battery Life
2. Whether the magnetic lid stays in place in my pocket

Other notes:

My standard session schedule is 5min at ~375 and another 5min at about ~400 on the same load. Still playing with the numbers a bit.... But really most of it is spent after 5min...

The supplied cell is a Samsung ICR18650-26H - a 5A cell! Seems crazy given the ultra fast heat-up time, but also promising since I have a stash of LG MJ1 (5A/3500mAh) cells that might be a great fit for this device.

Better than the Pax. Not sure if better than the Air.

More thoughts after some more testing..................... :cool:

His_Highness

So my Starry arrived Friday evening right as I was getting home from work.... How convenient!

Cons:
High-pitched chirping/screeching while the heater is running - pretty annoying during a quiet indoor session, sort of kills the relaxing vibe - but I guess I did not buy this thing for quiet indoor sessions

Anyone else experienced the 'High Pitched Sound'? I have an original Starry and it's quiet as a mouse.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Anyone else experienced the 'High Pitched Sound'? I have an original Starry and it's quiet as a mouse.

Damn. I'd say it's actually the biggest drawback for me right now but it's not a deal-breaker...

It's definitely only while the heater is actually ON. So right at strartup the chirp starts and right when it reaches temp it goes away. As you pull on it and the heater needs to kick back in to bring the temp back up, the chirping starts again....

StonerSloth,

His_Highness

Damn. I'd say it's actually the biggest drawback for me right now but it's not a deal-breaker...

It's definitely only while the heater is actually ON. So right at strartup the chirp starts and right when it reaches temp it goes away. As you pull on it and the heater needs to kick back in to bring the temp back up, the chirping starts again....

How loud is it? The reason I ask is "High-pitched chirping/screeching" sounds plenty loud enough to make the stealth aspect of the device less than ideal. My main love for the device comes from being able to palm the device and git-er-done just about anywhere.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
How loud is it? The reason I ask is "High-pitched chirping/screeching" sounds plenty loud enough to make the stealth aspect of the device less than ideal. My main love for the device comes from being able to palm the device and git-er-done just about anywhere.

Hard to quantify of course - but if I put the device on my coffee table I can still hear it if the room is quiet. It's definitely not going to blow the stealth aspect of the device and you probably wouldn't notice it if the TV was on or you were in a room full of people. But you need to put it near your face to use it - so you hear it lol.

I am in the same boat in that the main reason I bought this device was portability. My favorite pocket size vape up to this point is the FW4 which is a different animal.

jakeattack77

@StonerSloth
uh oh the coil whine sounds bad, but i bet its just a fluke, might need to send yours in. i know the grasshopper has some issues. it could be related to the heating element turning on and off to regulate heat.

try something does it change with what temp its set at? like try really low and really high temps

also how high pitched is it? is it high enough that maybe some older users might not even hear it? lol

im hoping the battery life is alright but honestly since its replaceable battery i dont care that much, since i can just find a better 18650 as well as have 2 with me.

On the topic of batteries however i did a bunch of research so far so i have an idea what ill get. i found someone who does some realllly detailed analysis of the batteries in terms of ecig vaping. our vaping requirments are probably less honestly. some of those mods get really high wattages, not so much with dry herb vapes. hence why a 5a is probably sufficient, some peak power can go over that for short periods of time

anyway the results were extremely interesting. the LG MJ1 is supposed to have the highest capacity at 3500mah right? it turns out its not that simple at least what this guy found is that the MJ1 as well as plenty of other high mah batteries did not carry more overall energy.

the thought is that lot of these have high internal resistance which leads to less actual performance

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...-the-best-shootout-bench-test-results.775249/

im sure its still plenty fine overall but for anyone like me wanting to buy the best then the lg hg2, samsung 30q or sony vte6 might be better options

Last edited by a moderator:
jakeattack77,
Top Bottom