Winegums' Woodcraft

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'm updating the design of the eastern maple ABV plug to a cone rather than hemisphere for a few reasons.

I was having to spend a lot of time making sure the plugs were very close to hemispherical or they would jam in the hole. Further, it is far easier to turn a cone shape than a hemisphere and the shape doesn't jam in the hole.

The last thing that I noticed is that I have to push several times to clear all the material because it sits on top of the hemisphere. Ideally the ABV should all slide to the edges and be ready to drop into the bottom.

e6yM0W1.jpg

u812many

I'm updating the design of the eastern maple ABV plug

Hey, have you considered adding a debowler into the plug or somewhere convenient on the lid? It would be nice for one hand debowling when your avb gets stuck. I do need to push down on the round plug a few times to “flush” the avb down but no biggie to me. I can see how the cone would do half the work just by its shape though.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
the new plug doesn't look so nice as the rounded one but technically makes sense :tup:
Will there come any burls a/o darker woods too anytime? Would like to see some of them.

Hogni,
Reactions: Winegums

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Hey, have you considered adding a debowler into the plug or somewhere convenient on the lid? It would be nice for one hand debowling when your avb gets stuck.
I though of doing something to aid in removing ABV but it's difficult to incorporate it into the existing design. The same thing goes for incorporating a magnet to remove the cap off of vapcaps. It is still on my mind though. If I didn't have the stopper mechanism I would just design a spike or stick of sorts in the middle of the hole that could be used to empty the vape bowl. For now I tap out my vapcaps on the edge of the hole, or use the digger while holding it over the hole.

the new plug doesn't look so nice as the rounded one but technically makes sense :tup:
Visually it's very similar and once it's actually in the piece it's set fairly deep. I agree that it doesn't look quite as pretty but I have to find a balance between function, form, and production.
Will there come any burls a/o darker woods too anytime? Would like to see some of them.
I may have some figured Oak and Claro Walnut pieces made soon, but those are the darkest woods I have on hand in large enough pieces. I'm not into buying new lumber at this time and will be sticking to what woods I have.

Oak
icXzrjD.jpg

Claro Walnut
nueq93k.jpg

Burl is not a wood to be using for making boxes and other things that are made of panels. Burl is typically very fragile and isn't a totally solid material with soft spots and inclusions.

It's also worth mentioning that some woods like Cherry can get very dark over time and will go from a light golden tan colour to a much deeper copper red in a year's time. After three years it will be past tints and neutral colours and actually starts to get into shades of deep red. If the pieces were left in direct sunlight they would darken even faster.

97e05b352cc24c5357608dd05d681bc8.jpg

Fresh sanded and finished vape station vs the Cherry valet I made a year ago.
QjZskbB.jpg

Compared with my 6 year old Cherry guitar
8TbxrtL.jpg

The same Vape station compared to a 20 year old piece of Cherry furniture.
O5n9DNv.jpg

MAbud

@Winegums do you incorporate any magnet today? It would be cool if each cutout for the VC had a magnet so that each was held in place securely. Apologies if you’ve already discarded that idea previously

MAbud,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@Winegums do you incorporate any magnet today? It would be cool if each cutout for the VC had a magnet so that each was held in place securely. Apologies if you’ve already discarded that idea previously
It’s not needed in my experience. The holes are deep enough that the Vapcaps will not fall out unless it’s turned past horizontal. I wouldn’t worrying about them falling out if you were to carry the vape station around.

Putting magnets in the bottoms of the holes would cause the caps to stick inside when you remove them. This would likely become an annoyance rather than a feature.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I have some Quilted mineral stained Maple vape stations being made as well as a pair made from figured Oak. I've really dialed in my horizontal mortising machine to cut these box joints perfectly. There's only 1/64 - 1/32 of extra wood to sand off the ends that stick through and the panels slip together with just enough room for glue.

I should also mention that I'm going to be making a custom case soon and if anyone is looking for something specific let me know. I don't know when I'll revisit Vapcap cases again so this is a last call of sorts.
unkiSOr.jpg

LongDraw

hi winegums. really love your work, awesome job

ive been stalking ur etsy. will u be putting up somr abv boxes only, maybe with the removable tray i saw u post recently? would really like to pick one up. i like the ones u have up but dont think i need the bigger size, or the holders built in

thanks

MAbud

hi winegums. really love your work, awesome job

ive been stalking ur etsy. will u be putting up somr abv boxes only, maybe with the removable tray i saw u post recently? would really like to pick one up. i like the ones u have up but dont think i need the bigger size, or the holders built in

thanks

I’d suggest you reach out to him
on PM and have him build you a customer box. That one with the tray was built for me :) I should have it any day and am quite excited

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@MAbud Said what I was going to say. PM me and we can work out the details. I'm pretty busy with some home renovations right now so it will be a while before I get any production work done. For what you're looking for I can custom make you a box sooner.

LongDraw

Thanks everybody for the responses.

Sounds good winegums, I'll shoot a message sometime this week or weekend.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
Do you ever have a question you've been wanting to ask and just haven't because you know it is going to make you look like an idiot? Well I've had one for a couple weeks now. I can't stand it anymore so I the risk of looking like an idiot here goes:

I really like those ABV boxes you've made. I don't know how to use them. With the current object I am using it works like a debowler.
How would I use yours with a Dynavap and Mighty capsules? Do you just clean out your chamber with a pick over the hole and then press the ball to drop the material into the box?

Top Bottom