1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Winegums' Woodcraft

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by Winegums, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Winegums

Winegums Sticky and chewy Accessory Maker

Hello everyone and welcome to my thread where I'll post about my creations and show what I have for sale. This started with me creating a few Vapcap bodies for myself and it has quickly expanded into becoming an Accessory Maker. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with transactions and shipping but I'm determined to make this work. I won't be limiting my work to Vapcap stems either, if you have a product in mind and the dimensions we could probably work something out.

For those that don't follow the Vapcap thread I'll post some of the photos below that I have posted there. This first batch of bodies were inspired by Grecian amphora mixed with the current style of my tables which is laminated strips of wood.

Click the spoiler link for pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please be patient as I get things rolling.

-Winegums

KeroZen, Summer, Mirimi and 37 others like this.
  2. AJS

AJS Calm Consistency

Looks amazing man, holy wow. Superb!! Those colors, swirls, and patterns are making me melt, ugghhhh. :drool::love: keep it up man, can't wait to see what you come up with!

3. Andreaerdna

Andreaerdna If God is the answer, then the question is wrong

Lovely creations!

Just a quick question , what is the glue are you using to stick wood together? Is there any risk of offgassing while using it?

Good luck for your activity

4. Diggy Smalls

Diggy Smalls Tom Cruises

Yeah man I would love to have I've of those stems they are gorgeous and unique. Keep up the great work we wish you the best!

5. Winegums

It's simple woodglue. No real chance to off gas unless you're close to burning the wood. If it's a big concern I could simply make the hot end out of a solid piece of wood and that would avoid any of the glue getting hot.

I'm using one of the bodies as a test piece and it has yet to delaminate or show signs that the glue is being effected by heat. I've even run three back to back bowls through it and it's felt quite warm to the touch but there's been no weird smell or taste.

Prolusio, SSVUN~YAH, vapen00b and 6 others like this.
  6. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

@Winegums, 'glue' is never a good word to be using around these parts but as we both know sometimes it's a necessary evil.

For me as long as no fumes can enter the vapor path then it's all good.

I'd rather be inhaling from a device that I know the full construction method of than one with all it's components hidden under a layer of plastic or metal.

All the best for your future endeavour and I look forward to seeing some more of your work.

7. Winegums

I agree that glue is never something we want in the vapour or air path but it's necessary. The amount of actual PVA glue exposed is tiny if not microscopic on the inside of the body. As it is I do not have carb holes drilled yet and this keeps the vapour from touching the wood. If there's any concern about the glue I can find a work around.

8. almost there

almost there Well-Known Member

Congratulations, wishing you all the best with this endeavor. I've been following all your progress from the Vapcap thread and it gives me great joy that you can share your creativity. I am certain our paths will cross in the future, only a matter of time before you'll get a PM from me:D. Keep up the inspirational work, seems to me it's paying off already

Melting Pot, Squiby, Mr. Me2 and 4 others like this.
  9. TwistedGray

TwistedGray Well-Known Member

Okay @Winegums, very impressive work! Makes me wanna buy a spinny tool to play with...yup a spinny tool. Lathe? Maybe that's more formal but I'll stick with spinny tool!

Are these more-or-less exclusive to Vapcaps or similarly functioning vapes?

Melting Pot, Squiby, Mr. Me2 and 5 others like this.
  10. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Nice one @Winegums, glad to see you decided to go for it. I look forward to seeing many inspirational stem pics.

Melting Pot, Squiby, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  11. vapen00b

vapen00b various on-demand full convection units

@Winegums Great work! Wishing you the best of success. Keep the pics comin! :drool:

12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy FUCK CANCER TOO !

Very nice!

Given the overall construction of the VC with the condenser inside I would guess that the wood does not get hot enough to be a potential source of off gassing.

Good luck with your work!

Melting Pot, SSVUN~YAH and Squiby like this.
  13. Winegums

Just as an update for everyone I'll be opening an Etsy store to handle all the transactions. I'm just waiting on some parts from @VapCap that should arrive on Monday. Then I'll take some really nice photos and put up all the turnings I currently have. When I post new listings on Etsy I'll also post them in the thread here.

-Winegums

14. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing them! What I have seen so far has been brilliant and really beautiful.

Do your pieces align with the Vapcap condensers in standard body and stem length (45mm and 62mm)? Or are they custom lengths? The ones I've seen looked like VonG bodies. Or are they more of a freeform?

Inquiring minds want to know....:rockon:

15. Winegums

Thanks for the complement. I'm only getting started as I have some really interesting ideas coming up for stems.

They're for the standard length condensers as I wanted the functionality of the carb to be available. I haven't drilled any of the bodies yet as I want to give people the option of a carbless vapcap. I use my cap exclusively in waterpieces and I find it much easier to lift the body out of the gong to clear the piece. In fact the main reason I made my first VonG body was that I was getting frustrated trying to find the carb hole on my original stem. I'll have an option for when you order to have a carb hole drilled.

They're a free form but will seal well enough to work in a 14mm joint. They're not meant to match the taper of the GonG and have a wider angle to them. The issue that I run into with machining and sanding a taper is that the wood will sand less on the end grain and more on the face grain. This causes an oval shape to form and makes for a poor fit in the glass. I'm going to glue up some blanks in a different way to see if I can mitigate this as well as experiment with an O-ring groove built into the outside of the body.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  16. Winegums

Whew the last few days have been busy. I'm just about to make a few more blanks for a batch of stems coming up.

[​IMG]

After these are turned I'll open my Etsy store as I feel I need more items on the shelf. That's it for this quick update.

17. TwistedGray

Back to an earlier question, do you forsee yourself making anything for different vapes? @Winegums

18. Winegums

Yes, I can make pretty much anything as long as I have the required dimensions for the piece. Are there any vapes or parts that you have in mind?

Melting Pot, Squiby, Prolusio and 2 others like this.
  19. TwistedGray

@Winegums, I only have an Arizer Air and probably will stick with that for as long as I can think. I think a wooden piece that the stems could slide into would be a pretty neat addition. However, I'm not sure how that would look...just thinking...

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  20. Winegums

You're looking for a case of sorts to store them in your pocket while on the go?

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  21. TwistedGray

Quite honestly, trying to figure that out.

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  22. Diggy Smalls

Diggy Smalls Tom Cruises

Stunning! Wow. I really love your art, it looks so nice.

I was thinking about the carb hole, and I had an idea....what it the carb hole was smaller in diameter on the inside and larger in diameter on the outside? You could feel a bigger hole easier, but it wouldn't let in too much air. Not sure if I'm describing it properly.
    Like this:
    \ /

23. almost there

almost there Well-Known Member

nice idea, I was thinking if the edges of the carb can be raised a little then u can just feel for it. Kinda like a little nub. Nice combos @Winegums, can't wait to see the finish products. I'm a big fan of the shape of the bodies, bet it's got a nice feel to it to twirl when heating.

24. Winegums

I've already been thinking of a way to make locating the nub easier. I'm thinking of doing a simple divot that your finger can find like on a recorder or simple flute. The small 2mm hole on the OEM stems is hard to feel for me. I'll do some experimentation tomorrow on a stem that got scrapped because it didn't make the grade.

25. u bwade wunner

u bwade wunner Well-Known Member

Lookin wild @Winegums ..Loving the mixture of knife handle art and turning.

this could turn out sublime....already is though:) best of luck

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors