Winegums' Woodcraft

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
@Winegums those are some beautiful corners! Stunning work. Are they going to be ABV containers?
They will be Vape Stations with a port for ABV. I'm likely going to use the same hole pattern as it is useful for a wide range of vapourizers and parts. If there's a specific vapourizer or parts you want to hold I am able to do custom lids for these.
il_570xN.1397297444_nm47.jpg

szai

They will be Vape Stations with a port for ABV. I'm likely going to use the same hole pattern as it is useful for a wide range of vapourizers and parts. If there's a specific vapourizer or parts you want to hold I am able to do custom lids for these.

I bet you could make the perfect stand for the supreme v4. If you add a 18mm female joint made of metal it will be perfect for that use!

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !

Very nice!

I see the box is slightly elevated on bottom edges....does it have a bottom swivel underneath, per chance?

Also, how is the ambient room odor from the ABV "spittoon"?

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Very nice!

I see the box is slightly elevated on bottom edges....does it have a bottom swivel underneath, per chance?
No, it doesn't swivel. It's actually a heavy 45 degree chamfer on a 1/4" bottom panel. I did this to create a floating effect on some of the vape stations. If you look at the bottom right box in this photo you'll see what it looks like. The other two boxes have internal slots and panels.
1SdNeyz.jpg

Also, how is the ambient room odor from the ABV "spittoon"?
While it's not as bad as an open dish of ABV, it's also not contained. I'm thinking of making a lid that automatically closes and only needs to be pressed down gently to dump.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Closing lid would be awesome.

fhezcUI.jpg

I already mocked up a prototype on my person vape station. There’s a hemispherical plug that is attached to a pivot and counterweight on the underside which keeps a little pressure on it.

I’m thinking of using magnets instead of a counter weight so that I don’t need so much depth on the mechanism.

It’s not 100% air tight but it should be a lot better than an open hole.

szai

fhezcUI.jpg

I already mocked up a prototype on my person vape station. There’s a hemispherical plug that is attached to a pivot and counterweight on the underside which keeps a little pressure on it.

I’m thinking of using magnets instead of a counter weight so that I don’t need to use

It’s not 100% air tight but it should be a lot better than an open hole.

That hole belongs in the fc posts taken out of context thread!

Looks awesome! What they gonna run?

Last edited:
szai,
Reactions: Squiby

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I installed my second prototype on a Cherry Vapestation. The original design was overly complex and took up too much space on the inside.
Cg98LJa.jpg

This is the original swinging counter weight prototype.
jjOkE4B.jpg

This is the improved and simplified second version. There's two screws that have dual function. The screw closest to the plug is set so that it sticks to a tiny magnet when the plug is closed. The other screw is to set how wide the lid can open, as well as acting as a counter weight. I've since added more washers to make it heavier and I'm liking the way it's working.
ss2JMPr.jpg

Looks awesome! What they gonna run?
The Figured Maple stations will be $75 and the Cherry stations will be $70. I sold the previous ones for less but the wood was less figured, the joins were less attractive and they didn't have the ABV door that these will.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
This is the improved and simplified second version. There's two screws that have dual function. The screw closest to the plug is set so that it sticks to a tiny magnet when the plug is closed. The other screw is to set how wide the lid can open, as well as acting as a counter weight. I've since added more washers to make it heavier and I'm liking the way it's working.

Ingenious! Pretty much screams mechanical engineer!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
You gotta know the answer is yes, MAb! Winegums seems to be able to adapt everything. If there's a problem, he always can figure out a way to resolve it. He puts a lot of thought into calculating beneficial designs.

:clap:
Ingenious! Pretty much screams mechanical engineer!

I wouldn't say I'm an engineer but I'm a designer who studies a lot of engineering. The first prototype has a lot of ancient siege engine in it like a catapult. It's as simple as I could make it while fitting in the space.

The second design is influenced heavily by fire arms and wooden mouse traps. I've recently been watching a lot of Forgotten Weapons and Shawn Wood on Youtube. They both show in depth detail on how the mechanics work in their fields.

Since fire arms and mouse traps are very old ideas and every designer is different, there's a huge array of mechanical workings to study. While I never plan to build a firearm or mouse trap the mechanical solutions are very valuable to me as a designer.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I worked out a third design that uses opposed magnets as a spring. I didn't have much other choice in this situation since the space is so small and I don't like the idea of springs. Since this is the smallest space I need it to fit into and I like the action of the spring, I'm going to make quite a few of these to retrofit onto my older boxes.
G01SNjc.jpg

The small set screw ended up being redundant as the magnetic spring has more than enough force to keep it closed. It actually ended up being a noise maker of sorts. You can twist the screw until it contacts the magnet and makes a small clicking sound when the plug drops, or you can twist it back and it will be significantly quieter.
pRHQAjA.jpg

cS3ixDs.jpg

TmWTHiN.jpg

Uwbh0OT.jpg

Zt1rlTV.jpg

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Looking.... F I N E!

Takes time to keep it simple, don't it? :myday:

Have you given any thought to how you might protect the plug from getting scratched? Or for that matter, the entire top surface?

Also, I'm not sure of the diameter of one of the larger circles/holes, but wondering if it could be plugged, along with a lid for the top, in order to keep fresh flowers?

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Have you given any thought to how you might protect the plug from getting scratched? Or for that matter, the entire top surface?
The plug is made from hard eastern maple and shouldn't scratch that easily. I haven't had any issues with the funnel or the top of my vape station being scratched in normal use. I did scratch it when I was installing the plug mechanism though =/.

Also, I'm not sure of the diameter of one of the larger circles/holes, but wondering if it could be plugged, along with a lid for the top, in order to keep fresh flowers?
I could do it but keeping flower in a wooden container is a bad idea. The wood makes a very good sponge and will suck the moisture and terpenes out of your bud. People have reported using a wood container and their flower turned to crumbly dry in a matter of hours.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I could do it but keeping flower in a wooden container is a bad idea. The wood makes a very good sponge and will suck the moisture and terpenes out of your bud. People have reported using a wood container and their flower turned to crumbly dry in a matter of hours.

I agree that wood can have a negative impact on the herb but I was thinking really in terms of short term use/storage e.g., one or two sessions of an evening.

Fat Freddy,
Reactions: szai

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I agree that wood can have a negative impact on the herb but I was thinking really in terms of short term use/storage e.g., one or two sessions of an evening.

Let me think about it and I might be able to come up with something.

Winegums,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Let me think about it and I might be able to come up with something.

OR, maybe it would be more convenient (and effective) to use a small Jyarz or small glass vial with its own cap which could be switched in and out for quick access to different strains? Yeah, that makes more sense to me now that I think about it! :rockon:

What say you master designer? :bowdown:

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
My lovely blackwood and maple VapCap stem arrived the other day. It has instantly become my favorite heavy hitter. Just beautiful sitting on my workdesk overlooking forests and mountains. I really like the way the octagon shape keeps the VC from rolling around and the fact that it is actually faceted. Will send along a pic when I get a chance.

Top Bottom