Which vaporizer should I buy? (Beginning vaper)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoness

So...

I'm a complete newbie to vaporizers, and I'm looking to buy my first vaporizer. It's going to be used with cannabis only (no other herbs).

Price range: 0 - 70$. Can go higher if it's worth it, but absolutely no higher than 110$ :)
I care a lot about taste, so I want a vape that brings out the taste of the buds.
I am very prone to coughing (as in, if I inhale something, I usually burst out coughing) so something that has a low "coughing-effect" would be highly appreciated.
I want something that gets you (real) high after several inhales (5+), not an one-shot high vaporizer. The efficiency should be high (you don't need a lot), but the time to use up the buds can be longer.
We're with two users here, and we always use together. So something that holds enough to get 2 users high without having to refill would be nice. A "double" pipe is not required, we are patient enough to take turns. :)
Temperature control: not really needed as it's going to be used for weed only, no other herbs.
I'm mainly a home user: I have access to 220-240v power supplies most of the time. It would be nice if I could use it with batteries, but that's completely optional (the main power source should be from the net)
If it can fill bags, that's definitely a plus.

It can be big and obnoxious, or small. (stealth no issue).

So... Anyone willing to help out an absolute beginner? :)

Dragoness,

VapeVoice

For $70 I would try and buy a used Da BUddha. I got one off ebay for $65 shipped and saw one here locally on craigslist for $80. So be patient and check out those outlets and you'll have a great first vape. Unfortunately for $70 you are limited on good, new ones. If you can go up to $150 you really have a much broader spectrum of new, good vaporizers at your disposal.

VapeVoice,
Reactions: darkrom

Makai

If you're worried about coughing you should think about buying a vaporizer which you can optionally connect to a bubbler later.

Makai,
Reactions: darkrom

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Not much for that price point.

About the only one I can think of is the Vapolution 2.0.

Tweak,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
if i were starting over again with your constraints, knowing what I know now, I would get a vapor genie

stickstones,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
A nice option at that price point is the Gnome.

You need a torch lighter to heat it.
It has excellent taste.
It doesn't require much bud to work well.
It really depends on your tolerance how many people 1 load will satisfy. I would say 1 load per person.
depending on how hot you heat it, it can be a 5-6 hit vape, or a 1-2 hit vape.

I also agree with VapeVoice that the Da Buddha is a great vape, Probably better for someone new to vaporizing than the gnome.

Frederick McGuire,
Reactions: Dragoness

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Dragoness,

Price range... ......no higher than 110$... ...I want a vape that brings out the taste... ...something that has a low "coughing-effect"... ...something that gets you (real) high... ...not an one-shot... ...two users... ...something that holds enough to get 2 users high without having to refill... I'm mainly a home user... It would be nice if I could use it with batteries... If it can fill bags, that's definitely a plus. ...stealth no issue...

Wow, can you be more selective than that?
71.gif

Euh... Sorry, i was thinking of something along the lines of a Vapocane but since electric solutions appear to have your preference i thought one could try a bet on the Herb Iron but then i revised and rejected this idea, not to mention the water-toy would be sold separately...

Anyone willing to help out an absolute beginner?

I was an absolute beginer when i got registered here as well but i had a different approach: since vaporization pays for itself after a while i decided to double my budget which was initially set at 150 $. This strategy is one i yet have to regret today.

:cool:

All i can tell with some degree of confidence is that if you happen to grow your own weed then perhaps it would be advisable to avoid systems where the vegetal substrate needs to be extra dry to meet your expectations to some degree.

Still being relatively new to the vaporizer scene i'd be in serious trouble if i were to determine what product to retain as a viable candidate in a case similar to yours. I like how sturdy the VaporGenie VaporBat looks but then i recall that there's water vapor added from the combustion process taking place at the flame source itself. Tough maybe a torch feels differently, i don't know.

Being 2 stoner folks on 1 vaporizer calls for caution, meaning anything burning-hot and/or brittle represents a real risk - eliminating most of the best devices around for sure (another reason to look at the VaporBat i guess!)... Which reminds me (when i write about "look") that it may be necessary to stand in front of a mirror to manage with the proper way to hold the lighter, hoping the learning-curve won't be too steep (expect a few mistakes), euh... Too bad mirrors translate as glass + 2 dudes interacting nearby again!! Well, you get the idea.

:o

Also, i gather you're going to need a bong, eventually! This requirement alone would kill all remaining hopes that i might find just the right vaporizer for me and my buddy, if i were in your shoes that is! Additionally, all of the counter-measures i've tried to avoid couphing led to discutable results but one: i've found that water mist from a nebulizer helped a lot with lung irritation while preserving a good share of the aroma and taste. Although i must point out this was never copied and verified. Unfortunately, playing with this concept proved to be impractical and even hazardous to my health because there's no garantee a "puck" won't leak electronic fumes when failing!... Yet, i thought i'd mention it.

Bags were great in the begining, as far as i'm concerned, but the blended flavour isn't up to everyone's preferences: as proof insist about having ballons while discussing in The Cloud dedicated thread, to find out how quick one of the members will abandon himself to the temptation of going ballistic about it...

;)

I still believe it's better to have bags as a possibility, nonetheless.

So, euh... In my opinion setting the limit too low would probably result in giving you a false impression and render vaporism less attractive than it actually is - unless we're talking about a Plan-B as when choosing a secondary unit for portable use, when "the real thing" already sits somewhere on a surface around your favourite stoner spot, indoors.

:2c:

Dragoness

Wow, thank you so much for the replies.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even know that good (convection based) torch lighted vapes or bubblers -existed-, so I'm certainly glad that there are so many helpful folks on here. :)
I will be growing my own weed, so it'd be nice if the substrate doesn't need to be "extra dry", so I can throw in a fresh bud too when the time comes. :)

Everyone: thank you for your replies. Especially Egzoset!

The nebulizer idea is interesting. I'm going to look into that later for sure, but first things first :)

So, let's rephrase:

- I'm completely okay with butane-fired or torch-fired convection vapes. No butane smells/smokes directly into the air intake though. Bring me your suggestions!
- If possible at all, something with a built-in (quality!) bubbler would be awesome.
- Bags as a possibility is no problem. I can connect an aquarium pump to the air intake to blow up some random modified shopping bag, if the need arises. :p Or blow air in there myself. Provided the air intake itself doesn't get too hot. But who needs balloons if you have a butane lighted solution?
- I wouldn't mind DIY-ing a vape if that turns out better & cheaper. Preferably something mainly of glass in this case. :) Throw me your DIY links!

Thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

Dragoness,
Reactions: Egzoset

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Dragoness, seems you will be mostly using it at home and keep combusting on the outside, am i right?

I think the gn0me is a good option for you, can't get much cheaper than that and it is one of my favorite vapes, amazing flavour and nice cloudy hits. You just have to beware of the hot glass in the beginning.

A vaporgenie classic is very good as well, and since it is made of wood, it will last longer.

If you want a stationary vaporizer, at that price i would try and get a used DBV. They have a long warranty so it is not difficult to find suitable options.

vorrange,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Dragoness,

I noticed a few selection criterias got adjusted/redefined, it's a good sign but i'm still not too sure what i'd want to suggest if i were asked in the present context.

Is there a brand/model which catched some attention from you and your friend recently? :popcorn:

Perhaps if you intend to "sample" in the wild outdoors then you'll want a product running on 12 Volts or just fire. My bet is it's going to offer a mix of convection and some conduction while glass doesn't sound much likely.

Relatively to bag support, since it's also very desirable to use a water-toy then i wonder if someone wouldn't succeed combining equivalent features into a WaterFall/Gravity Bong (i can't remember exactly how these devices work anymore but at least i know there's definitely water in there!)... In any case you better make certain a tube can be attached.

Considering it's OKay to build your own vaporizer (if necessary) then i'd think of emulating the LoxLux concept (formerly available as a complement to the VapBong)! This would translate as glass, with its pros & cons (the new Vaponic is portable but still brittle)...

I think i'd try to restrict the water toy and glass to a cosy corner of my living room or else, while retaining mobility, as with the Lotus pipe/bong kit already mentioned previously. Personnaly, i like when glass is protected as in the EpicVape, which also runs on low-voltage (11 to 18 Volts) but might feel a bit restrictive under these circumstance, i wonder: lots of reading to be done!

The problem here is that i'm blowing your budget as you can see! Hummm...

Maybe there still are some Vapolution 1 around. The glass path it provides appears to have made it well known (a mix of conduction/convection it would seem), especially at the price it used to be sold... This is a simple "rheostat" type of machine delivered with an automotive cigarette-lighter adapter, as i recall, and a bong can be attached via a piece of tubing. What's nice about vaporizers this simple is that they don't have too many parts to fail on you during a critical mission... I don't know about quantity/thickness of the vapour but i would view the Vapolution as a reasonable/affordable tradeoff in terms of quality. One thing is for sure, with that later solution the airpath becomes obvious all right and there are no synthetics present! Though i wonder how hard it will be to get replacement glass tubes for it.

At his point it might help to know if you have easy access to concentrates, nonetheless.

;)

Egzoset,

weedemon

enthusiast
+1 for the gn0me if you plan to keep it indoors :pThis thing is tasty, cheap, all glass can be ran though a bong. It's also breakable, hot in parts and looks super sketchy imo. but it is a great vape that will get you where you want to be. once you have this baby and are rockin solid vapor then I am pretty sure you will be wanting a permanent desktop (or home use of higher functionality) style vape. once you are hooked on vapo you will find yourself wanting more and more vapes :p

for the price point you are pretty much looking to buy a used vape if you want to buy higher end.

weedemon,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Weedemon,

...I am pretty sure you will be wanting a permanent desktop... ... Once you are hooked on vapo you will find yourself wanting more and more vapes...

I concur, but if that person could reconsider the budget limit to favour a more durable/sturdy long term solution, like the DaBuddha, EpicVape, SSV, LSV or even the Cloud (where a customer gets glass wrapped in a convenient protective jacket made of safe material), euh... Then that future vaporist could start searching for the "thickest" vapour, etc., while glass although protected is still brittle... Yet, one might want to reject somewhat exposed/fragile designs like the DBV/SSV - not to mention something like the Gnome if it's purpose is to be carried in the fields where there's no electricity but lots of wind... The fact is we don't know for sure what the client really requires most.

39.gif

In my opinion that person needs some time to think about the trade-offs which can be made and those which cannot, until then i feel like we're sort of gambling. Being all glass the Gnome sure would simplify "reclaims", for example. That's an obvious feature which may be of importance to these individuals, but the thing is we don't know with certainty so i wonder a bit.

Wouldn't it be simpler to choose a vaporizer if they were all built the same?

Well, i don't remember the Gnome too much (as if i knew them all! Ha! Ha! ;)) but the bong configuration looks a bit tall to me... That's not the most stable shape around, i mean. Nonetheless, just for the sake of discussion, would you please comment on the impression i have that this particular all-glass device can be used with a bong indoors and also without one outdoors, alternately?... Perhaps the double function might be an incentive of major interest to Dragoness. What do you think?

:peace:

Egzoset,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Salutations Weedemon,

I concur, but if that person could reconsider the budget limit to favour a more durable/sturdy long term solution, like the DaBuddha, EpicVape, SSV, LSV or even the Cloud (where a customer gets glass wrapped in a convenient protective jacket made of safe material), euh... Then that future vaporist could start searching for the "thickest" vapour, etc., while glass although protected is still brittle... Yet, one might want to reject somewhat exposed/fragile designs like the DBV/SSV - not to mention something like the Gnome if it's purpose is to be carried in the fields where there's no electricity but lots of wind... The fact is we don't know for sure what the client really requires most.

39.gif

In my opinion that person needs some time to think about the trade-offs which can be made and those which cannot, until then i feel like we're sort of gambling. Being all glass the Gnome sure would simplify "reclaims", for example. That's an obvious feature which may be of importance to these individuals, but the thing is we don't know with certainty so i wonder a bit.

Wouldn't it be simpler to choose a vaporizer if they were all built the same?

Well, i don't remember the Gnome too much (as if i knew them all! Ha! Ha! ;)) but the bong configuration looks a bit tall to me... That's not the most stable shape around, i mean. Nonetheless, just for the sake of discussion, would you please comment on the impression i have that this particular all-glass device can be used with a bong indoors and also without one outdoors, alternately?... Perhaps the double function might be an incentive of major interest to Dragoness. What do you think?

Egzoset, there are two gn0me models, one GonG and the classic just slides one tube inside the other without Gong connection. There is also a stem with a gong end to pair with a bong, that is made for the gong model.

Although all this is possible with the gong model, the Gn0me classic can be easily paired with a 14.4mm bong with a bit of tubing which IMO is much more simple than buying a Gnome Gong adapter but to each his own.

The gn0me is portable but due to its process (using a torch) and its form ( all glass tubes) it is very far from stealth.. This is why i recommend for him to have a gn0me and one to use outside. After that, i would invest in a stationary model..

My standard advice is usually, no matter what, get a gn0me. There is always money to get the rest of your vaporizer collection going.

The only flaw of the gn0me is its greatest asset: Being all glass.

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
If the vapolution is still 100 dollars I would spring for that. Most vapes under 100 is going to be either used, butane powered, or of questionable quality.

tranceporter,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Consider a used log vape if you will only be using it at home, or perhaps saving to buy a new one just a bit longer. You will more than make your money back in plant material saved in the end even if you went with the incredibly overpriced volcano (but I'm not suggesting it).

I've tried a large amount of vapes. I spent more money than I care to imagine on vapes, some I enjoyed but felt others were better suited for me, and some I flat out hated. Research more and more. You are doing the right thing and have VERY specific requirements for your usage and that is incredibly refreshing to see. You are doing everything right in other words.

Personally I settled on the log vapes, specifically the Underdog (though I'm sure the other current generation ones kick ass too!) after trying as much as I could. Everything has its pros and cons but for me and many others logs are superior for our real world usage patterns etc. I like having it on and ready to go 24/7. I like nice safe materials. I WILL NOT use a vape with anything I consider possibly unsafe. I've got a bad rep here with some people here for being what I will nicely call "extra picky" but IMO why the fuck not? I'm paying money to inhale the resulting vapor the product I paid good money for, I think you should be extra careful no matter which brand you get. I am confident in the safety of my current vapes, but I still do routine checks to make sure no contaminates or anything get in the heaters etc. Why not be safe, seems logical to me.

A word of advice if you do get a lighter based vape, I liked the gnome best. I was always picky (trend here?) about using lighter based vapes because I had funky reactions to inhaling the butane that I was told wasn't a big deal and was burnt off. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but either way the gnome fixed this problem completely. All glass so it is nice and safe, and you aren't pulling the flame into the mouthpiece so there is NO butane inhaled for a fact with this one. Even though it sounds like I praise it (and I do), I hated it. Is there something wrong with it? Nothing at all that I found, I simply hated using it because I hate using butane lighters and lighter based vapes in general. I just did not enjoy it. What I am trying to say is something may look great on paper, but you end up hating it. The best way is to research here as much as you can and try it out. The goal being not needing to buy every damn vape out there before finding one that is the perfect fit.

My final suggestion is since you are a mostly home user just get a home unit to start. Keep smoking when you are away for now. When you get a dedicated home unit in my experience it has worked much better than trying to make one unit fill your home and portable needs. Once you start enjoying vaporization and saving tons of herb, you will probably want to add a portable too, but it only makes sense to cut out the majority of the smoking with a quality home vape first if you ask me.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

JeeSee

Cultured Curmudgeon
Have you thought about an MFLB? I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned one. I researched thoroughly according to the same criteria, more or less, when I bought mine (still waiting for delivery, damn international shipping), since I was a beginner on a strict budget as well. A new model will go for about $120, but you can get one secondhand (preferably from someone around here) without much worry since it has a lifetime warranty that's owner transferable - if you run into any problems, you can get it exchanged straight from the company (buy it from a known owner though! You don't want what happened to DasBlunt to happen to you). Besides, if you decide you want a table-top, you can invest in a power adapter instead of spending three times as much money on a new vape. As for using it with a bong - it has a new water pipe attachment that I got free with my model (just contact Randy at PuffItUp and ask him for the Combo #7 - or one of the many other combos, as may catch your fancy). It seems both easy to use, rewarding to those that have the patience to master its learning curve, and very hardy. Get a couple extra batteries (you might not have to invest more - again, check the combos on PuffItUp or what sellers are offering with the vape when buying it used), keep them charged, and you're ready to go pretty much anywhere. :)

JeeSee,

Egzoset

Banned
What about this one below:

I've just seen the video a few minutes ago and i thought this may very well feel like fun at least to some, provided that the user already owns a suitable heat-gun, that is - which i would fear means a lower airflow will translate as a denser cannabic vapour (e.g. if the heat-gun's airflow can't drop to a low-enough speed than this would render it practically useless for our kind of application)...

From the video we can see that the bag is filled directly without a transit through any humidifier/filter (water-filled accessory). As a result the heat-gun must be "clean" or all sorts of contaminants can be expected to end up in the bag as well!!

40.gif

The owners of this heat-gun brand/model (or sanitary equivalent) wouldn't mind, i believe:

Or would they?

Ah, the good old days! When i was still having ideas about heat-guns!

I still like my comment relatively to the Lotus vs such a tool, actually:

Look!

NO FIRE!!!

Egzoset,

VapeVoice

"Have you thought about an MFLB? I'm surprised nobody seems to have mentioned one. I researched thoroughly according to the same criteria, more or less, when I bought mine (still waiting for delivery, damn international shipping), since I was a beginner on a strict budget as well. A new model will go for about $120, but you can get one secondhand (preferably from someone around here) without much worry since it has a lifetime warranty that's owner transferable - if you run into any problems, you can get it exchanged straight from the company (buy it from a known owner though! You don't want what happened to DasBlunt to happen to you). Besides, if you decide you want a table-top, you can invest in a power adapter instead of spending three times as much money on a new vape. As for using it with a bong - it has a new water pipe attachment that I got free with my model (just contact Randy at PuffItUp and ask him for the Combo #7 - or one of the many other combos, as may catch your fancy). It seems both easy to use, rewarding to those that have the patience to master its learning curve, and very hardy. Get a couple extra batteries (you might not have to invest more - again, check the combos on PuffItUp or what sellers are offering with the vape when buying it used), keep them charged, and you're ready to go pretty much anywhere.:)"

maybe its just me but, i don't think i'd be giving my opinion on something that i've never tried. i own a mflb and would never recommend one to a 1st timer. it was my first and it never got me away from combusting the way my solo did. it's great for stealth after u get it figured out. but, not good to try and convert someone with imo.

VapeVoice,

VapeVoice

I think if you are going to steer someone toward a product you may have wanted to try it first. Not just have read about it or collected pics....... Call me crazy.

VapeVoice,

Egzoset

Banned
Well, in that case i'll just answer that you're mistaking about my motivations if you ask me!

Egzoset,

VapeVoice

My comment didn't even have anything to do with your post sir... (or Ma'am :))

VapeVoice,

Egzoset

Banned
My comment didn't even have anything to do with your post sir... (or Ma'am :))

I know.

Yet my opinion about what should be required to express an opinion stilll stands, so to speak!

Although i don't use heat guns, while i don't own a Lotus neither, does this imply that i shouldn't mention this particular alternative to the attention of the IP (initial poster) of the present thread???

How do i know if the idea won't raise more constructive comments if i don't write about it? With all due respect to the thread's topic, naturally... Personnally i believe Dragoness is intelligent enough to judge what's the next step, which IMHO is to sort out what's suitable and what's not. Only then, once the table has been cleaned up somewhat, then Dragoness will have just a few options to investigate instead of 207!...

Quite honnestly i favour discussion even if were're not patented specialists as we wouldn't even need to be here if already were gurus, actually.

:2c:

Egzoset,

JeeSee

Cultured Curmudgeon
maybe its just me but, i don't think i'd be giving my opinion on something that i've never tried. i own a mflb and would never recommend one to a 1st timer. it was my first and it never got me away from combusting the way my solo did. it's great for stealth after u get it figured out. but, not good to try and convert someone with imo.
A friend of mine got his a week ago, actually (without all the extra stuff, he ordered it off ebay), so I've been using it consistently. I never really mentioned anywhere that I haven't used one yet, because I have.

JeeSee,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom