Anthony

Anthony
biojuggernaut said:
say what you will I love my cano

This isn't the argument. The argument is weather it is worth $400 more then the Extreme Q or $300 more then the Zephyr Ion, which is the same exact tasks as the Volcano Digital plus future whip use.

Anthony,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I might have to get a Extreme Q so I can settle this once and for all! (In my opinion :))

elmomuzz,
Anthony said:
biojuggernaut said:

This isn't the argument. The argument is weather it is worth $400 more then the Extreme Q or $300 more then the Zephyr Ion, which is the same exact tasks as the Volcano Digital plus future whip use.

I live with multipule roommates and always have people over for social shindigs. Honestly I even over paid for my vape but the wow factor practically paid for it self. Its the different between getting an Audi or a Hyundai. The Hyundai still gets you to work just as well, but the Audi gets you coming home with someone special. Its all about quality. If you don't think it is worth the extra money then spare yourself; however if you have the appetite for quality then please save yourself much hasel and your helath and endulge from the get go. :cool:

biojuggernaut,

GreatVapeApe

biojuggernaut said:
The Hyundai still gets you to work just as well, but the Audi gets you coming home with someone special. Its all about quality. If you don't think it is worth the extra money then spare yourself; however if you have the appetite for quality then please save yourself much hasel and your helath and endulge from the get go. :cool:

Yeah, that's a good analogy for choosing a Volcano over other bag vapes. No other bag vape looks as cool IMO.

As said elsewhere, the downside to the Volcano is the noise and the size of the unit...You have to put it away if you have non-420-friendly company over, like all other vapes except the log variety that look like home decor.

I don't think the taste is stale or anything, just diluted due to the air ratio of the forced air compressor. You just aren't going to get that satisfying throat hit with any bag system, honestly.

As for the no whip option on the 'cano, I'd probably guess that a dedicated whip unit would be the way to go if you really want that...like the a SSV or DBV. (I don't have any experience with whip vapes.)

The only issue I've had with my Volcano is that I had to send it in for warranty repair at the tail end of the 3 year warranty. The thermostat (or something) busted in it, but it's been working like a champ for over a year now. (Also, it seems that Storz & Bickel were the ones that set the 3 year warranty standard that quality vape manufacturers set. Only Magic Flight has a better warranty.)

I think the issue a lot of folks here have with the Volcano is that a lot of people just blindly suggest that the Volcano is the vaporizer to end all vapes. While I love my Volcano, I would still strongly consider other bag vape systems if I were in the market for one. Assuming it is as safe to use, the HerbalAire looks interesting since you don't have to grind your spice and it's a heckuva lot cheaper than the 'cano.

I think that if you're really into vaping then one device probably won't suffice in the long run...but personally, I used just a Volcano Classic for about 4 years before recently moving to other vapes. (Probably due to the amount I spent on the device, not wanting to spend more money on vapes, and the quality of the unit itself). Either way, a bag vape is probably also a decent start to vaping your herbal remedies. And if money isn't much of a consideration, it's hard to make a mistake choosing a Volcano.

GreatVapeApe,
Reactions: chant121

max

Out to lunch
vapormonkey said:
Why no love? Because bag vapor is stale vapor. Most of us vape alone.
The vapor/air ratio is reported as much more of an issue than fresh vs. stale, when comparing bags vs. direct draw. I've sucked a lot of bags, and found the thin vapor was what affected taste. I've sucked small bags that filled very quickly, and bags where vapor remained in the bag for 30 min. or so before the first hit. Never could tell any difference. As long as it's still in the state that qualifies as vapor, I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference. You'd have to have some kind of scientific lab setup to prove it.

More people who start with bags end up going to direct draw than the other way around. Although bags are easier (just fill and suck) and the vapor hits are consistent, most who really enjoy the vapor experience appreciate the rich hits you can get with direct draw.

max,

stinkmeaner

Anthony said:
biojuggernaut said:

I don't know, are those rims on that truck in your signature worth more than stock rims?

One can also argue that the stock rims would provide a much softer ride and are more capable off-road. You clearly like shiny things and if you didn't you wouldn't post your ride proudly in your signature.

The Volcano has superior build quality compared to the Extreme. I have seen them both, used them both.
* The extreme just uses a plain ceramic element in a glass tube with an air-path directed through the its electronics, coming from a computer case fan.
*The Volcano uses a heat exchanger with sealed air-path with medical grade silicone tubing with air coming from a diaphragm pump.

I have posted numerous pictures of the Volcano Factory which is located in the middle of an expensive business district in Germany and you can clearly see the hi tech environment with multiple computer interfaced testing areas, that kind of manufacturing facility is extremely expensive to set up. Do you realize that business expenses relate to pricing also, and since most vaporizer companies are made in a garage or small warehouse then the manufacturers facility has much to do with final price.
*Example: When I look at the Volcanos aluminum heat exchanger I see what it takes to make one, a CNC Lathe/Mill......Then when I look at the Extreme Q heater I see a stock male Gong Joint that can be had for a few bucks.

With this in mind, what makes you think the Volcano should be priced like the Extreme?

vapormonkey

Thanks, max. I would agree about the vapor air ratio, but I have noticed bong vapor can make me cough a little more if it has been left in the glass for a while and was assuming bag vapor would behave the same way. Older vapor tends to stick to surfaces as it languishes it seems.

vapormonkey,

lwien

Anthony said:

Is the 'Cano worth more? To some it is, and to some others, it's not. Is it better designed and engineered using higher quality parts and assembled and manufactured with greater care and closer tolerances? Yes, I believe it is better designed with better parts and manufactured to closer tolerances. That along with origin of manufacture would dictate a higher price than either the Ion or the Extreme.

But is worth more than the Ion and/or the Extreme? It all depends on the value that one puts on what is stated above. For many, they could care less about how it was engineered or the close tolerances. All they want is for their vape to work, and for those, it would not be worth the price of admission.

Does the quality of parts and engineering equate to a better vaping experience? Only if you value those things.

Does the quality of parts and engineering equate to a more reliable unit? Sometimes, but not always. A Toyota pick up is of the most reliable cars/trucks on the planet, but I sure as hell wouldn't say that it is built to such exacting standards.

Like we so often say, there is no one best vape for we all have different expectations of what the perfect vape is................for us, and it is foolhardy to think that anyone else can make that claim for anyone else.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

That is a good post lwien. It really is all about what we value. To me as a technical person I can see how things are made and attach value to them, others may not or just don't care to as long as the item gets the job done.

I myself can tell the difference in build quality of a BMW compared to a Cadillac, but many people I know see no difference. I can feel the parts quality, the way the dash components feel, the tight fit, thickness of material, they way the BMW still uses heavy gauge steel bolts for the doors and the Cadillac spot welds.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

stinkmeaner said:
I myself can tell the difference in build quality of a BMW compared to a Cadillac.....

So can I. I've owned 8 of them starting with a 2002tii in the mid '70's, some different 5 series, and then an M5 and ended up with a 540i about 5 years ago. It was the only brand of car I owned and drove since 1974, so I totally understand your analogy. Are their better performing cars? Yup. Are their more luxurious cars? Yup. But are there cars that combine those two traits as successfully as BMW has done over the years. In my opinion, no. There's just something about the way they feel, the way the handle, the way they sound, and the way they comfortably wrap you in understated luxury that I could find nowhere else in one car. (btw, every BMW I ever owned was a stick. Just couldn't wrap my head around an automatic in a car such as this.)

So yeah, I totally get why people love their 'Cano's. But as with cars, I would never be as presumptuous to think that everyone should or would feel the same as I.

lwien,

vapormonkey

I would be presumptuous enough. What we need is an all glass, air assisted path of sorts. Say like an all glass German made heat gun or something. I'm thinking a good light sandwich(bulbs) and then a clean air path to help move the vapor.

vapormonkey,

stinkmeaner

vapormonkey said:
I would be presumptuous enough. What we need is an all glass, air assisted path of sorts. Say like an all glass German made heat gun or something. I'm thinking a good light sandwich(bulbs) and then a clean air path to help move the vapor.
I don't think the Volcano will ever or even needs to cross that bridge. An all glass Volcano wouldn't be the Volcano anymore, the Volcano is built for durability, ease of use, and convenience and if you changed the components to glass it would alter that recipe of success. That is more of a direct draw or vapor bong type of thing, much like the VHW and the Cloud, these are considered more of a connoisseurs tool and just about as close to smoking as you can get. You might be able to change the Valve Set to glass, you could in theory change the heat exchanger to glass and maybe even the silicone tubing could be replaced with glass tubing, but at the end of the day you would still need a pump and bags, they will always be built of a synthetic material.

So even if you converted as many parts as you could to glass, the taste difference would be negligible since you would still need a bag. The taste of the Volcano is fine and most people that use it for the first time can't believe how good it tastes and the vapor doesn't go stale unless you nurse it to death. The Volcano is the type of vape that you can take to a party and not worry about it breaking, glass on the other hand has to be cared for much more carefully.

Basically if you want a glass heater in a bag vape then you should go for something like the Oracle which has a glass heater, bowl piece, and valve but still has the bag, pump, and whip made of synthetics.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
Until now my readings make me think that non-glass materials such as metals, synthetics (and why not silicon carbide) are acceptable in absence of significant heat. I'm curious and optimistic about the halogen-based designs, especially if air heating is done using a radiant method. Ceramic elements created for soldering irons can crack when stressed, a vaporizer would have to combine many heating elements together in order to avoid that stress IMO. Now, what happens to the air path when it's directly exposed to a cracked ceramic heater? After all, these glorified ceramic elements are meant to be operating with a thermal "load" around them. The heat has got to be evacuated and go somewhere but in a so-called ideal vaporizer application there's only air and air happens to be an insulator... I mean, in my kitchen i don't leave a fry pan empty while it sits on a red-hot heating element: that's not good for the fry pan and not even for the stove i believe.

Well, at least i can be sure that metals and synthetics don't crack (they "leach" when exposed to high temperatures instead!)...

Euh...

:ko:

Egzoset,

moodswing

low tolerance is underrated
after reading this thread, it seems more clear to me the answer to the original question: why no love...
~90% of the time its because of price bias and ~10% of the time its because of whip bias.

if you take price out of the equation and have it unbiasedly reviewed as the bag delivery vaporizer that it is, i have no doubt it would have an overly positive rating.

imo there's not much to hate on. it's solid, reliable, vapes evenly, easy to use, does not combust, works as a personal and party vapo, nice warranty, great resale value, and operates as advertised.

yes. the price is wack and i do not recommend paying retail to anyone. there's nothing wrong with buying a used cano as long as you do your research and make sure it is not fuct up. ask the seller questions like how old it is, if it has had any problems, if it has been cleaned, and if there are any cosmetic damage (dents/scratches). i bought my digit with easy valve used but in like-new condition (not even one scratch) for under $250 shipped. yes, these deals are out there if you look!

last thoughts... i recommend the average everyday vaporist/smoker that has had their eye on a cano to keep an eye out on a good deal and be patient. also, i do not think the cano should be the ONE vaporizer to own as i believe in owning multiple vapos. if you only have a cano, i suggest also buying a portable unit (mflb/io) AND a nicely priced direct-draw unit. for the most part that combo should take care of all vaping situations.

:2c:

Carbon

biojuggernaut said:
How do you guys feel about recapturing the residue from the bag and bowl? Too fiendish?
It could work for the bowls. You could use the same alcohol solution to clean the screen, bowl, plunger, etc. at least a few times in a row and it could start to build up some golden goodness. I don't care enough to go to the trouble.

Carbon,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
This came from one bag cleaning. It seemed worth it to me. :)

honey.JPG

elmomuzz,
That look funkadelic... so just qwiso then let it evap. Im scared off the chemical aftertaste... how long will it actually take the iso to evaporate.

biojuggernaut,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
It took about a day for the iso to evaporate. I let it set for a few additional days so I knew for sure the iso was gone. I set it in a warm room with one edge elevated so the solution settled to one side of the dish.

I've never had hash/honey oil before so I don't know if this is typical but it tastes bad when you smoke it. There isn't even a hint of marijuana flavor. The best way I have found to smoke it is using a glass pipe like I was smoking meth or some other sinister substance. It gets you really high but I don't think I will smoke anymore until I am really hard up for a buzz and can't get any weed. It's kinda sketchy. lol

elmomuzz,
elmomuzz said:
It took about a day for the iso to evaporate. I let it set for a few additional days so I knew for sure the iso was gone. I set it in a warm room with one edge elevated so the solution settled to one side of the dish.

I've never had hash/honey oil before so I don't know if this is typical but it tastes bad when you smoke it. There isn't even a hint of marijuana flavor. The best way I have found to smoke it is using a glass pipe like I was smoking meth or some other sinister substance. It gets you really high but I don't think I will smoke anymore until I am really hard up for a buzz and can't get any weed. It's kinda sketchy. lol

Uhh Doesn't really sound like my gig. I might swish some 151 in the bag and make some shots :ko:

biojuggernaut,

Ennui Cookout

I suppose I can weigh in on why I bought a Volcano as my first.

Some of it was simply liking the look of it over a lot of the other options. Once I saw how it was constructed, I was suitably impressed enough that the price didn't even really faze me. I'm a pretty out there nerd, love industrial design, etc. -- I dig the almost retro space capsule look of the Classic I own. Honestly, I've spent more on toys and I am simply done with smoking. My preferred methods of smoking (water pipes!) weren't exactly cheap, either.

The other problem: It's much harder to find out more about your options. Even with a lot of googling, the signal to noise ratio can be a bit daunting to sort through. Eventually I reached a point where I realized that very few people have actually complained about the unit itself as a bag system but simply that there was similar for 'cheaper'.

At the end of the day though, I really wanted a purchase I could be sure of and I just went and did it.

I don't actually regret my purchase, though I'm starting to be at a heavy enough use pattern that I think I'm starting to understand some of the comments I've heard about the Volcano being a 'great party vape'. The heat-up delay, the downtime while switching out the mouthpiece and reloading a bag, etc. -- It's actually almost seeming like a chore when all I want to do is blow through a bowl while working on projects. Still, absolutely everyone who has seen it here has thought the bag was rad and I trust handing people a mouthpiece/bag to pass around if they're not the most experienced.

I've always liked hookahs and whips and while I love the convenience bags have for being untethered, I'm starting to look for things that offer sort of a compromise between portability and being whip-capable.

At the moment I'm considering picking up a Purple Days and a Magic-Flight Launch Box simply because lurking here long enough (longer than I've been registered, even), I've come to find there's a lot more signal than noise here. I'm sure if I pull the trigger on this, you can expect some sort of review post.

EDIT: @elmomuzz -- That photo looked excellent -- but hearing it had no flavor? Probably has been vaped all out. I've got a small jar of hash oil that looks like that and it's got the most fantastic pine flavor to it that I wish every bag tasted like. I carefully scrape up a nice ball of it, heat it and drip it over a ground up bowl and vape it in the Volcano just fine. You might want to give something like that a shot instead of doing it straight.

Ennui Cookout,

stinkmeaner

Check out this picture I found on the net, the site is not active though. They all look so nice I wouldn't know which to choose.

stinkmeaner,

Ennui Cookout

Oh jesus. I know I'd send mine off to have that done to it if I could. That beautiful blue green in the front row, no question. That's quite the pic.

Ennui Cookout,
Top Bottom