Volcano Vaporizer is it worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egzoset

Banned
Hi Max,

A few years ago my herbalAire failed after cleaning the heating chamber with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol.

I can't begin to imagine how this is possible knowing the heater element is installed in a separate chamber which just doesn't allow any air to be shared with that of the heat exchanger chamber (below the oven, beyond the famous 18 holes) from where that alcohol would have come, presumably!

Block your HA's upper opening while blowing air into the inlet port (where the pump connects), if the heat exchanger chamber doesn't happen to be totally sealed then some air will escape inside but my guess is you'll find out that's simply not the case as leak occuring at that level would justify a prompt return, IMHO...

:peace:

Egzoset,

ripebuds

I would imagine that is due to the density of vapor produced via a 12 L/min pump, vs your lung power. if you pull air more quickly and are still able to get the air up to temperature then you are going to extract a thicker cloud of vapor. this is the main difference between direct draw (air path restrictions are an issue, but lets overlook that for now) over forced air.

you should find moisture conditioning helps (this can even be done with the volcano too), but maybe try taking smaller rips of direct draw systems too. that would bring the concentration of vapor back down too.

I use a water pipe with both my VC and DBV. I almost never hit vapor dry.

You are right though, it is all about the draw speed and whenever I am using my DBV I just can't help turning the temp way down and pull really slow to get those full rips (i just cant control myself, but always regret it).

Using the volcano is so much reliable for me, as its perfect every time. I don't have to think, I just set it to 4.5 - 5.5 and i just sit back to enjoy my perfect bags of vapor.

Even if I over heat the herb slightly (with dbv) it has a really negative effect on my lung performance, so thats why most of the time I just use the volcano (because i don't trust myself, and trust those VC temps).

I do wish I didn't demand so much from my lungs though as I would be taking thick rips all day :)

ripebuds,
Although I agree that 'worth it or not' is subjective and depends on the buyer's views, if you want to go strictly with the S&B brand, and get both bag delivery and whip hits, the cost is almost $900 for a 'cano Classic and the new Plenty. You can get the same functions with a herbalAire (or Extreme) and the cost is only about $155-170. I've used the herbalAire for years and had only the one problem, which was most likely my own fault.

Kia was the first in the industry to ofer a 10 year warranty. Know why? Because they were pieces of shit and in 10 years they already made money back over and over again off of you. A head shop that will sell you "any other vaporizer on the market" over a volcano doesn't have your best interest in mind. They know that the volcano has a very low profit margin making them less "points" so they don't like to sell it or even carry it . sometimes.

I can goto canada and see a volcano in the shop for $800. Does that mean that's what ill pay for it? Hell no! But somebody may... Point being, get reviews from customers not from sellers. They want to sell you the $300 vaporizer because they make like 50% off of that sale where you make 20% if your lucky on a volcano. Now a customer might think "50% of 300 and 20% of 600 are pretty close" but a retailer knows how hard it is to get a person to spend an amount like 600 as opposed to 300. They might sell an extreme every day but only 1 volcano a week or month and then they tell you, yeah, those volcanos don't sell like the other ones, they're not all they're cracked up to be...

Volcanos are quality and rarely get sent back. They make 3x as many of the cheap ones in a shitty chinese factory and who knows what kind of chemical bonds or sealants they have in them. Look at red bull, ts got a carcinogen in it that we cant make pops with here, but we can sell?? wtf?

get informed and by all means try as many different vapes as you can. Especially for somebody who's jsut getting into vapes. I know way more than one person who sold their vape because they weren't used to it yet.

I tell people who are smokers that it takes about 1 month give or take to get used to vaporizing. I used to crave smoking after vaping like i didn't get the full effect. Now its the other way around I Wish I had vaped if I use fire

medicine man,

max

Out to lunch
medicine man said:
Kia was the first in the industry to ofer a 10 year warranty.
Is there a reason you're quoting my post and then talking about a completely different vaporizer? My point was that you can perform the same functions that S&B requires you to spend nearly $900 to get, for a hell of a lot less, and still get quality, good customer service, and a good warranty. While your post has merit, it makes no sense to me to quote my post to start it off-apples and oranges.

It should also be noted that one reason for the high price of the Volcano is that it's manufactured in Germany. Does that mean it's built better because of that? No. It means a higher production cost due to rules and restrictions-the same reason it's cheaper to manufacture in China vs. the US. It doesn't automatically dictate a quality difference due to the country of origin. That still depends on the company that's producing the product.

max,

lwien

It doesn't automatically dictate a quality difference due to the country of origin.

While I agree, Max, that there are quality products manufactured in China, I do believe that it is also apparent, as a general rule, that products made in Germany are made to a higher standard than those products made in China, eh? But............there are exceptions.

lwien,
sorry dude I don't mean to hijack the thread. I should have just said "any other vaporizer on the market" because the volcano is the only one with so low of a profit margin. Everything else in the industry basically is a 100% markup

This isn't called why do volcanos cost 900 bucks because they don't. Andybody knows u can go the the auction and buy one now for $530 with free shiping, a case, grinder, the whole 9 yards or pay 100 more for the digital. Now some say that's still too much, but some would be perfectly happy with their kia breaking all the time.

I have friends that go do business in china in many factories and i assure you there is a difference between a chinese and a german or USA factory. China makes high quality products for themselves but they also make piss poor products for everybody else. I would take a german made product of chinese parts anyday of the week over a chinese made product of chinese parts. You might have a 6 year old making it chained to a toilet thats his workstation.

Not to mention medical cannabis is not in china therefore they probably don't even know what they're making or care

medicine man,
EQ is made in Canada

good to know hogleg thank you for the info.

Volcanos are made in the city that basically invented "medical" devices as we know them today

"About 50% of the world's surgical instruments are manufactured in this city and the vicinity." that's what their website says

Im not sure if the parts are all made in germany, but the sheer amount of literature and research done on these is enough to take my 500 bucks.

heres what they say about product safety:

The quality of our VOLCANO DIGIT and VOLCANO CLASSIC products has been tested and certified with regard to their electrical and mechanical safety and reliability by TÜV SÜD (the "Southern Technical Inspection Association") in Munich, Germany. The VOLCANO vaporizers fulfill the requirements for device safety in household appliances according to DIN EN ISO 60 335. This certification by an independent testing agency is a further indication of the competence and responsibility that Storz & Bickel GmbH & Co. KG has in producing safe, top-quality vaporizers for our customers all over the world.

medicine man,

max

Out to lunch
While I agree, Max, that there are quality products manufactured in China, I do believe that it is also apparent, as a general rule, that products made in Germany are made to a higher standard than those products made in China, eh? But............there are exceptions.
No doubt, but again my point each and every time I talk about the 'country' manufacturing deal is that quality is ultimately up to the company, not the country. A list of name brand products manufactured in China would show that.

medicine man said:
This isn't called why do volcanos cost 900 bucks because they don't.
Who said they do? I said you need a Volcano and a Plenty, at $539 and $350, to get the same functions as a $160 herbalAire or Extreme. You quoted the part of my post that spelled that out here on this same page. If you're going to quote my posts to make a point, then be accurate as to what costs what, and please don't start it off on a model I haven't even mentioned, and bring the country of origin into it, when I never mentioned that.

If the Volcano is worth the money to you or anyone else, it's fine with me. It's not worth it to me, and I've explained why. If the thread is going to become another discussion on the quality of products made in China, then that would indeed be a thread hijack.

max,

GReYAReA

Amid The Vapors...
I will add this, for what it is worth. Both the Volcano and Plenty produce ABV that is evenly browned every time. I don't worry if the top layer is getting too little heat, or I'm getting carcinogens when the bottom gets too hot, or I'm pulling all the actives I can out of it. I don't need to stir anything either. Many other vapes I've tried have some level of layering or inconsistency in the ABV (not all mind you).

There is no question these are high-end devices that work exceptionally well for what they are used. To be fair to max and others too, for the simple purpose of heating plant matter there are much less expensive devices that accomplish the same.

GReYAReA,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
I believe there be to no question that the volcano is worth it. If you try to compete with the functionality that it has, most other vaporizers just come up short.
However, if you need to get vape faced and cant afford such a device, or are not willing to invest in such a commitment upfront, there are many other options for you.

Ratm22,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I believe there be to no question that the volcano is worth it. If you try to compete with the functionality that it has, most other vaporizers just come up short.
I disagree with you here, the cano blows bags well, but any bag only vape has to work to justify its price to me, and the cano didn't do it. I like/need to run my vapor through water filtration, and there's something about the process that just doesn't do it for me when the vapor is coming from a bag.
If its what you like though, :tup:

However, if you need to get vape faced and cant afford such a device, or are not willing to invest in such a commitment upfront, there are many other options for you.
Here i just think you sound ignorant & judgemental. :(

Frederick McGuire,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Ok, where is the evidence I (or anyone else whose preference isn't the volcano) "need to get vape faced"? (judgemental)
Where is the evidence I "cannot afford such a device"? (ignorant)
Where is the evidence I "[am] not willing to invest in such a commitment upfront"? (ignorant/judgemental)

It just sounded really douchey to me, but if it's a Internet tone mixup I apologise.

I might not have been clear on the first part, I meant that I've run bags through water, but it's not my thing.
(it's not my "bag" if you will :lol:)

Edit:
Just re-read it, the "vape faced" Part doesn't sound as bad, but the rest of it still doesn't sit right with me.

Frederick McGuire,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I'm not sure how you aussies talk down there...
It seems that the only purpose of this phrase is to offend. Kind of funny since you then go on to talk about debating evidence. What a crock.

hazy,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Yes it was meant to offend. My apologies for coming off so strong.

I just find it confusing, that so many people rag on the volcano. When it is a solid consistent player.
I haven't seen anything that could keep up with it yet.

Ratm22,

lwien

This is wrong on a few different levels. First, while there is no question that the Cano is worth it to you, it obviously is not worth it to everyone else. Secondly, while there are many who CAN afford a Cano and/or they ARE willing to invest these kinds of dollars in a vape, they may decide to invest those dollars into another kind of vape. I, for one, do not like to suck my vapor out of bags for various reasons and there are others who feel the same.

I haven't seen anything that could keep up with it yet.

Keep up with it? Please clarify what that means. Keep up with it in what aspect?

I just find it confusing, that so many people rag on the volcano.

"I just find it confusing that ANYONE would rag on the Volcano"--------fixed.

There are many who really like the Volcano, and there are many who don't...........like anything else. Why would you find it confusing that there are those that dislike some of the things you like?

lwien,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Push bags at a high rate and precise temperature control. Then each person gets their own individual mouth piece so you don't have to share germs.
Digital read-out. Auto shut off when not in use.
Reloading takes seconds, easy and clean. No glass to break.
I have to push 3 buttons and I'm out the door bag in hand.

Ratm22,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Push bags at a high rate and...
I could see this being handy if you are strapped for time/using it as a petty vape, but I never really vape in those situations.
How does the canos speed compare to the HA with the upgraded pump?
Or the oracle?
I've never used either of those 2. (my only bags have been from a cano and a EQ)

...precise temperature control.
I have never had any troubles with any of my analog vapes, but if you are looking for exact temp vaping I can see how this would be nice.

Then each person gets their own individual mouth piece so you don't have to share germs.
most vapes I've used have this feature.

Digital read-out. Auto shut off when not in use.
I personally am not a fan of auto shutoff, but I get that others could like it.

Reloading takes seconds, easy and clean. No glass to break.
I like glass.
Glass is easy to clean, and easy to keep in one piece with a little care.
IMO the cano isn't faster to load than most of the vapes I've used.

I have to push 3 buttons and I'm out the door bag in hand.
I have to turn 1 knob and I've got a ssv wand ready...
Or 1 button and my omicron is out the door with me.

Frederick McGuire,

Tai Sun

My personal opinion on the topic is no it isnt worth it, in comparison to other vapes on the market anyway.

Tai Sun,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Most glass vapes have metal screens. Which kind of makes me wonder why to go glass at all. I can see that glass has better flavor and less condensing on it, but its still glass that can break. I chuck volcano bags across the room at people.

The chamber size though. Is it larger than any other vape? The load is size greater than others I have seen.

I love all quality vaporizers. I just have a hard time not seeing the volcano in my first string squad. I tried the oracle thread, but looks like they are behind. Pre-order cloud sounds like fun but I have little patience.
Saying something is not worth it to me, is claiming that it can't perform to said specifications. My MFLB that I don't like still has value, and was still worth trying, even if I never want to use it again. I just love vaporizers that much.

If you don't like bags that's fine, but that's another huge debate. Right now I want to get the next upgrade from a volcano. Wheres it at? Till then send me your used canoes, I'll take a back up, and give one to a friend.

Ratm22,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Most glass vapes have metal screens. Which kind of makes me wonder why to go glass at all. I can see that glass has better flavor and less condensing on it, but its still glass that can break. I chuck volcano bags across the room at people.
Yes, better flavor and less condensing are both big pluses to me.
So far, Ive never broken a Glass piece to a vape. (almost a year Vaping, starting with SSV)

I just hand my whip to someone, I've never really noticed any issues sharing it around.

The chamber size though. Is it larger than any other vape? The load size greater than others I have seen.
I'm not sure but that's not really a positive to me.
To each their own, but the SSV has the perfect sized bowl for me.

Saying something is not worth it to me, is claiming that it can't perform to said specifications.
No, It isn't.

If the volcano, doing the exact same functions, cost $1, it would be totally worth it.
I would say that it is objectively, unarguably, guaranteed worth it for $1.

I'm not saying it doesn't perform, I'm saying that it's level of performance doesn't justify its price to me.

Frederick McGuire,

lwien

The chamber size though. Is it larger than any other vape? The load is size greater than others I have seen.

In party situations, I can agree that's a plus, but in solo situations with very high quality bud, that could be a negative. Being that I don't vape in party situations, a large bowl is the last thing I want.

Saying something is not worth it to me, is claiming that it can't perform to said specifications.

Not at all. A vape may indeed perform to their specs but it may not be worth it to someone who doesn't put value on those specs but instead, put values in vapes with other specs..............if that makes any sense.

Here's an example. I like my Purple Days better than a Cano and it costs less than half of what a Volcano costs. Why?

Because I don't vape in party situations so I have no need to pass a bag around.
Because I want a very small bowl that encourages bud conservation.
Because I want a vape that is totally silent.
Because I want a vape with a very short vapor path to discourage condensation.
Because I want a vape that has a higher vapor to air ratio at a lower temp.
Because I want a vape that is instantly available with no wait time to heat up or fill up a bag.
Because I want a vape that is SUPER easy to maintain and keep clean.
Because I want a vape that doesn't have any moving parts.
Because I want a vape that doesn't call attention to itself and looks very natural sitting on the coffee table.
Because I want a vape that is hand made and feels good in my hands.....like the warm feeling of heated wood. (and no, not in that way.......lol)

So yeah, for me, the Volcano is not worth it because of my above priorities, regardless if it meets it's specs or not.

sal69

Hi there, here is my opinion.

I own a Volcano for two month now and i am very happy about my decision.
If you ask me if it was worth the money i would say yes instantly without thinking.

I think that for any decent herb smoker the price of the volcano is NO issue at all. Simply because within some month you will actually already be saving money.
I consider myself a rather heavy smoker, so i smoked (and now vape) herb every day, mostly in the evening after work. Considering that herb cost per month was about 200-250€ for me.
Now after using the volcano i can safely say that my herb cost is now <100€ per month, so the volcano will pay for itself in about 4 month, after that i am actually saving money.
So i personally do not care much about the price.

The Volcano is also very effective, if it is only 10% more effective than a vape costing half the price then ... well do the math.

My primary concern for going vaping was health. There is nearly no product tested so well as the volcano. So this one is guaranteed to deliver "healthy" results. But if you take time to really read the material about vaping you will come to the conclusion that vaping is great, but only if done correctly at the right temperatures. There is a temperature "window" where the active ingredient will be released but no combustion will take place. And it is very important for the vaporizer to stay within these boundaries to deliver satisfying results.
For instance vaping at 220° (celsius) is useless, you could be burning the stuff too instead ....
And maintaining the correct temperature is very important. Many vapes fail at that, the Volcano is extremly accurate when it comes to this.
As other users pointed out this is really where the volcano shines. You can select the temperature and be sure that this is what gets delivered to the herb and different temperatures make a very different result.
Any vape that will control air-flow by "sucking" also rely on you "sucking right". If the airflow is too slow -> too hot, if its to fast -> too cool. The Volcano will deliver very consistent results, even if you are already baked ^^.

What i personally like about the volcano:
*) its quickly set up and ready to go, simply plug it in and wait 2 minutes, thats about the time you need to prepare the herb anyway so there is no "real" waiting period here.
*) Its a no brainer, once you figured out how to use it its really easy, you do not need to control the air flow or pay much attention. With my MFLB i need to concentrate more when using it since the correct drawing technique is essential. With the volcano you cannot really have the wrong drawing technique from the bag =).
*) The results are VERY consistent no matter how baked you are.
*) It enables you to really "suck out" everything from the herb without burning it, also the taste never gets as bad as for instance in the MFLB if the herb is done.
*) If your done for the day, but the stuff in the chamber is still ready to go for some more bags you can simply store away the chamber as it is and continue next time. Or quickly fill one bag and then store the camber away for later. I think it is a big plus that the base unit is free of herb.
*) Its nice and easy to share with other people, simply fill the bag and pass it around like you do with a simple joint.
*) It has other uses than medicating yourself (and friends). I own the liquid vaping chamber too and i use it to distribute aromatic oils in the house. This is really effective, within one minute you can really aromatize big rooms easily.

Now to the things i do not like about it (yes its not perfect):
*) Noise, when i want to watch a movie with my wife its not the item of choice. Its not only the unit itself producing the sound (you could fill the bag in another room) but the bag itself. It will make a lot of noises when you use it similar to a bag of potato chips. So the lady is not really pleased about this.
But on the other hand this is where my MFLB really shines ^^.
*) Its only for home use so i heavily recommend a portable vaporizer as a companion. I use a MFLB and i am very happy with it.

Given the heavy discussion going on here you need to take into account that we not all are in the same life situations. I am now 32 years old, goto work and have a family. My primary concern was health followed by saving money. Putting 500€ on the table for a device now will not hurt me that much (i spend half that on smoking cigarettes before i got the volcano per month ...). But if i think back 10 years the situation would be very different. Maybe buying a volcano would have been the right decision back then too but it would have been much harder and i probably would have ended up with a cheaper unit.
But i think it is safe to say that you cannot really go wrong with a volcano, if you do not like the usage (too loud, hate bags ...) you can resell it for a decent price.

I also used the volcano to stop smoking. I did not vaporize tabaco as some do i sticked to herb. But i found that vaping pretty much took care of the side effects of quiting to smoke. Using the bag to me is like smoking a really really big joint =). So the first weeks i was really tense when in the afternoon but after i came home to play with my beloved volcano everything went to smooth after the first bag.
It really assisted me there, partly because of the "sucking sensation" beeing somewhat similar to smoking, and because of the fine medication =).

If you think about getting a volcano thing about the cons. Do you mind the sound? Do you mind using bags? If the you dont mind these points you should get one.

Just my 2 cents

sal69,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom